Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

anime was right posted:

people have been leaving both parties to the point where like 50% of voters are now independent/undeclared lol

closed primaries are so good!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, we wouldn't want Republicans voting on who'll be the Democrat's nominee, otherwise we'd get someone who's so unenthusiastic and disconnected from the base that they could lose to a senile reality show star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

who could have possibly predicted that nobody would give a poo poo about russia

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Neurolimal posted:

who could have possibly predicted that nobody would give a poo poo about russia

i think russia is a thing but they need to keep that question burning so that the next weird russia thing that drops makes trump look worse. by going all in, if something actually drops, it probably won't matter, but if the russia thing is in the back of everyones heads and then it turns out oh trump talked to putin irl in a secret hallway or something, you actually have a big story break. if you just keep the same tone/story throughout the next 2 years, no ones gonna give a poo poo.

the emails thing was a problem because no one had talked about the emails for like a loving month and then bam it consumed the news cycle.

right now democrats shoul dbe fighting on healthcare while they behind the scenes look into the russia poo poo so they can pin it on trump with some additional evidence. instead they're like "oh yeah we need to tweak the thing that will kill literally thousands of people so it just kills thousands of people still, but its not as expensive!!" instead of like standing up for poo poo.

democrats suuuuuck. hope the local party takeovers pay off bc we're hosed with the current dems at the helm lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
tell me crystal ball, which topic will win us all

*mirror gets all foggy, starts cracking*

"rrrrruuuuuui dont loving know dude"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
democrats: "republicare will kill millions of people either directly or indirectly. medicare for all will save millions of lives and be cheaper" repeat x infinity right now.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Venuz Patrol posted:

lol way to totally agree with whiskey juvenile by accident

There's a difference between a political party that only sees you as a vote and nothing because they take you for granted due to the other party actively looking to gently caress you over vs. being a political party that actually has your interests at heart.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

there's probably at least like 10 people lurking this forum that are really really mad that the author of this is black lol

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Oh Snapple! posted:

there's probably at least like 10 people lurking this forum that are really really mad that the author of this is black lol
ok

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
can this thread please have a moment of silence for dan roberts, victim of obamacare

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

its me

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im the guy who is mad

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Surprising!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Republicans are gonna pull back the ACA, fix like 2 things in it, and then ram it through with the democrats going "well, it could have been worse, only 20 million people will lose insurance now..."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Surprising!!

lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Republicans are gonna pull back the ACA, fix like 2 things in it, and then ram it through with the democrats going "well, it could have been worse, only 20 million people will lose insurance now..."

5 million more people will have health insurance than if they'd done nothing you gently caress!!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
actually that was a lie i have no idea what im mad about, much like everyone else itt

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I KNOW WHAT I'M MAD ABOUT

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CAPITALISM

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i was pretty mad about mercantilism the other day

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm mad about snow right now

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

anime was right posted:

democrats: "republicare will kill millions of people either directly or indirectly. medicare for all will save millions of lives and be cheaper" repeat x infinity right now.

yea this is really all they have to say about the ahca over and over again

im listening to a really interesting ted talk (lol i know) about what makes homo sapiens different hisgorically and evolutionarily from other higher order primates, and the author's contention is that we uniquely have the ability to tell eachother stories. Thagt in turn allows us to create ideas, narratives, religions, concepts for larger and larger groups to rally around.

He believes that the reaction against globalism and neoliberalism is because there is no broader vision articulated as a part of it, that its proponents have lost the thread of why that unites large groups of himans in a shared goal. As a species we are now dealing with a global economy and global climate and global resources, but approaching it all on national scales. This is why climate change deniers are almost always nationalists, because nationalism explicitly does not have a eay to deal with a global problem, so thsy deny its existemce entirely.

dont agree wjth everything he is saying, but thw thrust of his argument that a globally interconnected world needs a global vision (and government) to survive is well made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szt7f5NmE9E

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Oh Snapple! posted:

5 million more people will have health insurance than if they'd done nothing you gently caress!!!

They still can't afford to see a doctor and will still go bankrupt if they get sick but drat it they still "have" insurance. What more do you want?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
how does what i said apply to dems: one of their failed slogans of 2016 was "america is already great", a terrible, explicitly rractionary one lol

not just a lack of vision, a lack od vision for thr country so profound the slogan only evem makes sense when used in contrast with their opponent's message

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
AMERICA IS ALREADY GREAT!

what do you mean you can't to go to college because you work 40 hours a week to barely make ends meet? We're capitalists, buck up!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lol America is hosed like lmao thanks Hillary you loving poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

Why would they say that when they don't support Medicare for All.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/841428974962110464

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Lifelong public servant who is weirdly worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Lifelong public servant who is weirdly worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

God forbid a woman not work for free :rolleyes:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"shut up Peter Daou" is a position i think everyone from Hillaryman to Berniebro can agree upon

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Honestly there's no politician who I would describe as a "lifelong public servant." Even Bernie has to be in this for money and power at some level, it seems insulting to the intelligence of the voters to suggest otherwise.

EDIT:

Lol

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/841766406517620736

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bernie got his lake house and, damnit, i think he earned it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm mad about buttigieg

maybe mad for buttigieg??? idk

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The board of walmart is the highest echelon of public service.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The board of walmart is the highest echelon of public service.

do you know how many people walmart employees

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jazerus posted:

i'm mad about buttigieg

maybe mad for buttigieg??? idk

show me man or woman not mad for butt, and i will show you a liar

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

How are you quoting CC posts from the future?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Oh a hillaryman was he, and a hillaryman he would die

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah it sucks that you can't afford dialysis but have you considered the Russian menace?

Oh Snapple! posted:

do you know how many people walmart employees

And if you think about it many of Walmart's employees are on public assistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah, a lot of states were solidly democratic for 80 years and went red. we've re-aligned. in 2000, bush won wv by 6 points. in 2004 - 12.9. in 2008, mccain won by 13. in 2012, romney won by 26.7. 2016, trump won it by 42.1. it's literally now the reddest state in the union, so yeah someone running on the dem line isn't gonna loving carry west virginia

why did a democratic stronghold suddenly turn deep red

Why did a state full of people who liked voting for democrats suddenly refuse to vote for anyone except manchin and Republicans?

I feel like this needs a better answer than "well, it realigned, nothing we can do". it's stupid to shrug it off as just "well, it's conservative country, we can't possibly win there" like it's loving Alabama or something

Condiv posted:

i wonder if mccain ever feels any regret for this. it seems like sarah palin was a catalyst for trumpism

nah, the attitudes that eventually became trumpism were already around. they just rallied around her because she seemed to be speaking to the concerns she had about mainstream Republicans. if she hadn't done it, sooner or later, someone else would have

• Locked thread