Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

They're one of the recommended boards for a lot of server builds. With a built-in LSI 2308 you've got access to a gently caress-ton of SATA ports without having to futz with a M1015 or whatever, which is also nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Going from 9.10 to 10 RC1 was a clusterfuck in regards to settings import. Users, shares, snapshot tasks and god knows what are missing. I think the upgrade process balked over my zpool configuration, which is bare disks instead of FreeBSD/-NAS' GEOM stuff, and then aborted.

--edit: FFS Windows loving 10, what's your problem with direct connections between computers and treating them like red-headed step childs?!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 14, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I didn't comment on the upgrade process because it was a clusterfuck for me too - but my 9.10 install was hobbling along. The web interface would only load sporadically. I think the two 8GB flash drives I used might have somehow been a tiny bit too small for the image, because even doing a fresh install onto one caused shenanigans.

I just did a fresh setup from scratch with a 16GB flash drive. The web interface is plenty quick. The only time I've had to dive into the shell was to do a force-import on my zpool since I hadn't exported it before I wiped the USB sticks.

Edit, re Plex and hiccups: The only one I had was due to my Plex server (on a different physical box) deciding to autonegotiate itself as a 10Mbps connection for no apparent reason when I first booted it up after setting up FreeNAS 10.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Does the Crashplan container actually work in 10?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Godspeed! You Early Adopters

I'm waiting until final release or really the first patch. My desire for the decent web gui and docker is heavily outweighed by not wanting to muck about in a half baked migration

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Milkman posted:

Godspeed! You Early Adopters

I'm waiting until final release or really the first patch. My desire for the decent web gui and docker is heavily outweighed by not wanting to muck about in a half baked migration

Ditto. Everything I have works fine aside from CrashPlan, and that's just a "scramble to update/fix whatever CP breaks when they update", which is likely to be the same in FN10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can't test the Crashplan docker there yet, but if I had to guess, it's based on this one which I use on my Ubuntu servers and it's loving awesome.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Yeah I just recently set up 9.10 again so I'm not ready to do it all over again. I have a g3258 that can get up to around 8 load when I'm moving stuff around so I'm worried that 10 will increase that. Maybe at some point I'll inherit a 4790k or something

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Meanwhile I'm sitting in a corner getting off FreeNAS and setting up CentOS 7 with ZFS in my Puppetized home datacenter of aspergers.

Also, I wouldn't really use that Supermicro board for new builds when there's Supermicro Xeon D boards with new hardware and lower TDPs for maybe another couple hundred more. LGA1150 is one tough bitch but it's a bit lacking on I/O connectivity in its chipsets.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, I wouldn't really use that Supermicro board for new builds when there's Supermicro Xeon D boards with new hardware and lower TDPs for maybe another couple hundred more. LGA1150 is one tough bitch but it's a bit lacking on I/O connectivity in its chipsets.

It really depends what your priorities are and what you're doing. A G3258 should still be more than enough for basic file server/Plex duties, so if you don't need it to be running a bunch of heavy VMs, spending the extra few hundred on a newer Xeon would be overkill and a waste of money. Lower TDP is nice, but it takes a long time to break even unless you're in some crazy electricity market like SoCal or something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just found a Del T110 ii in my parking garage. Checked the service tag and it looks like it has an E3-1230 and 8 gigs of ECC ram. Worth keeping?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress yes it is. Basically an i7-2600 with slightly lower clocks, but with support for ECC and all the other fun server-only poo poo Intel likes to keep off of the consumer chips.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
At the very least, you could probably get $150+ on craigslist for it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Giddy up. Nabbed it but can't test to see if it turns on today.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

necrobobsledder posted:

Fair point. But I already had the processor sitting around. And both the memory and board were on sale. I also have a lot of disks sitting around doing nothing. So lots of SATA ports look good to me!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Anyone manage to get Plex working in FreeNas 10? It's super slick and all but haven't seen other plug ins and I can't host any Docker apps on my VM :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do we have any timeline for Denverton boards actually purchaseable? I don't really need the beef / price of a Xeon-D board except maybe a 2 core, but low TDP and good connectivity is appealing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

caberham posted:

Anyone manage to get Plex working in FreeNas 10? It's super slick and all but haven't seen other plug ins and I can't host any Docker apps on my VM :(

I don't see how you could, I thought they eliminated jails from FN10 in favor of the boot2docker VM + docker containers inside said VM.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Ziploc posted:

How much of a dumbass was I for grabbing this?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182821

I had a Intel g3258 laying around which for some reason supports ECC ram. Newegg had ECC 16gb kits on sale as well.

Sounds like it's time to learn how to roll my own.

Pretty sure I'm running exactly this same board in mine, and it has served me incredibly well so far. I'm just wishing I had gotten a case with more drive bays for it at this point, because I either have to transplant it all to fit more drives, or replace all my 4TB drives with 8TB ones, and that's going to be a shitshow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Do we have any timeline for Denverton boards actually purchaseable? I don't really need the beef / price of a Xeon-D board except maybe a 2 core, but low TDP and good connectivity is appealing.
The only tentative date I've heard is "Summer, 2017", so short answer is: no.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't see how you could, I thought they eliminated jails from FN10 in favor of the boot2docker VM + docker containers inside said VM.

Jails were, indeed, eliminated. But they did have a bunch of pre-spun Docker containers for a lot of the same stuff that they had pre-made jails for in 9.x, including Plex. When I poked at 10-beta-2 or whatever it was, Plex worked, but seemed to have some lag/performance issues. Hopefully that's been fixed since then.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

I just found a Del T110 ii in my parking garage. Checked the service tag and it looks like it has an E3-1230 and 8 gigs of ECC ram. Worth keeping?

Update: blew a shitload of dust out of it. Booted it up with no monitor looking at the numbers on the front and everything looks fine?!?

I'm thinking this will be good as a ESX host with some old hard drives from my NAS.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

DrDork posted:

Jails were, indeed, eliminated. But they did have a bunch of pre-spun Docker containers for a lot of the same stuff that they had pre-made jails for in 9.x, including Plex. When I poked at 10-beta-2 or whatever it was, Plex worked, but seemed to have some lag/performance issues. Hopefully that's been fixed since then.

It's working fine for me on RC1 using the default plexpass docker image from the freenas webui, howerver the docker vm does default to 2GB memory / 1 core which made plex unusable (on an Avoton system, so single cores aren't very fast). Once I set that to more cores I haven't noticed any difference in performance. Just waiting on the update to the released version before I start messing with much more.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Update: blew a shitload of dust out of it. Booted it up with no monitor looking at the numbers on the front and everything looks fine?!?

I'm thinking this will be good as a ESX host with some old hard drives from my NAS.

Where's this garage?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
At the end of the rainbow.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Does anyone use Virtualization Station on a QNAP? And if so, how is it?

I've been close to buying a TS-453A (and upgrading to 8g ram) for weeks now to replace my old Synology 214 but I'm not totally sure if it's up to the task. Duties will include Surveillance Station (3 hd cameras right now, probably 4 soon), Plex server (needs to be able to transcode at least 2 streams at once), and running my Ubuntu VM that i use for VPN and torrenting poo poo.

Will I be sorely disappointed in the performance? I've got a gig connection and if I load up my VM and find that I can only a few MB/S over my vpn, I'm not gonna be happy. It claims to have AES-NI hardware acceleration but I'm not sure if openvpn will take advantage of that in a VM? Surely it would?

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/model.php?II=212&event=2

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11199/seagate-announces-enterprise-capacity-v7-12-tb-hdd

Sweet, sweet, 12TB drives

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Said gently caress it and went ahead and updated to Corral last night. It went as smoothly as I could expect, but I didn't have a terribly complex setup to begin with. The new Web UI is indeed fantastic, at least compared to the previous one. Stuff is much more discoverable in addition feeling snappier. Setting up the Docker equivalents of my plugins was actually much easier than setting up the plugins was, mostly from having easy mount point mapping. Documentation on a lot of this is lacking still, but there's some useful bits linked in their forums.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For anyone using FreeNAS and jails, be warned that there is, as of writing, no migration in place (or planned?) for moving from a jail to docker (through a bhyve-virtualized light linux distro with docker, I assume), and that in many situations it might not even be possible to do a straight migration without individually tailoring/moving around files and manually installing dependencies.

FreeNAS is good for file sharing between multiple computers, but this is their third attempt at a plug-and-pray plugin-system and this time they've basically given up and instead decided that it's super great to segment CPU, DRAM and diskspace (even if they use thin provisioned zvols, it's still segmentation), much the same way we did back in the 90s on x86 before SMP or SMT was a thing, by running individual programs on seperate computers.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 17, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I mean, yeah but Docker is a standardized thing so I'd think this is the final time you'll have to deal with that?

Played around with 10 in a VM today and I have to say, it's pretty slick!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

FreeNAS is good for file sharing between multiple computers, but this is their third attempt at a plug-and-pray plugin-system and this time they've basically given up and instead decided that it's super great to segment CPU, DRAM and diskspace (even if they use thin provisioned zvols, it's still segmentation), much the same way we did back in the 90s on x86 before SMP or SMT was a thing, by running individual programs on seperate computers.

But that's....kinda the point? Like, there's nothing saying you can't install things onto the base FreeBSD OS, but the entire intent of utilizing VMs (be they jails or Dockers) is to force separation between the host OS and whatever other odds and ends you've got running around--both for security and for stability. Docker also should be a much more mature/full-featured set up than the jails were, so in the end this should be a good thing. The no-upgrade-path-for-jails is obviously annoying, but I don't really see how there could be considering the differences between jails and Docker, so that's just kinda the price you pay to jump from 9 to 10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To me the only better solution would be for docker to exist natively on the host instead of within a VM.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The only huge pain in the rear end I can think of is moving your torrents over. Otherwise everything should be a simple export/import of configs?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
And realistically, docker containers themselves are leaps and bounds ahead of jails in terms of usability for the average person. Migration of configs might not be fun, but it's totally doable. My biggest worry is no longer having separate IPs for every app I run (which isn't actually a problem, I just got used to muscle memory for logging into my various things).

Edit: Anybody else want to chime in on their experience with upgrading? I'm still on 9.3 because 9.10 had some things break in jails, and I'm thinking about making the leap tomorrow. My game plan was going to be to grab another SSD, clone my current one to it, and upgrade one of them, that way I can roll back by literally swapping my boot drive. I'm a professional sysadmin, so it's not like I can't recover if poo poo goes haywire, but I'd rather know what I'm up against if anybody has some anecdotes they'd like to share about how it went.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 18, 2017

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

G-Prime posted:

And realistically, docker containers themselves are leaps and bounds ahead of jails in terms of usability for the average person. Migration of configs might not be fun, but it's totally doable. My biggest worry is no longer having separate IPs for every app I run (which isn't actually a problem, I just got used to muscle memory for logging into my various things).

Just use the --ip option to docker run.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

But that's....kinda the point? Like, there's nothing saying you can't install things onto the base FreeBSD OS, but the entire intent of utilizing VMs (be they jails or Dockers) is to force separation between the host OS and whatever other odds and ends you've got running around--both for security and for stability. Docker also should be a much more mature/full-featured set up than the jails were, so in the end this should be a good thing. The no-upgrade-path-for-jails is obviously annoying, but I don't really see how there could be considering the differences between jails and Docker, so that's just kinda the price you pay to jump from 9 to 10.
Jails and docker are containers, not VMs - it's a very important distinction because it means that whatever processes run in the container are running on the host kernel and are capable of taking advantage of the host kernels scheduler and network stack, the VFS, quotas and resource control via ZFS datasets and rctl(8), the potentially faster and parity-backed storage (ZFS or mirrored BTRFS), instead of going through varying degrees of virtualization layers which add abstraction and slow things down.
Jails are by definition as good seperation as you get from VMs - they're meant to isolate root as a form of security (there have been jailbreaks, but all of them so far have been related to things outside of the jail implimentation itself - and most are either fixed by default or easily mitigated). Docker, however, is not written with security in mind - it's more of an afterthought.
With FreeBSDs hierarchy as well-defined as it is, it is not difficult to impliment something to migrate from jails, but I suspect the reason it doesn't exist is that Linux doesn't have an idea of a base system so applications can expect configuration files to be any number of places.
Docker is a lot newer than jails; they were released after dotCloud re-did a failed PaaS service in 2013, whereas jails have been around since FreeBSD 5 which was 2001 when I started using FreeBSD. There are several front-end management tools for jails (ezjail, py-iocage/iocell and cbsd come to mind), but docker is only "more mature/full-featured" in that it's easier to setup than jails are; those front-end management tools make it into a single-line setup just like docker is.

IOwnCalculus posted:

To me the only better solution would be for docker to exist natively on the host instead of within a VM.
That was tried, then dropped.

Matt Zerella posted:

The only huge pain in the rear end I can think of is moving your torrents over. Otherwise everything should be a simple export/import of configs?
Nullfs mounted directories work just fine as long as you aren't running docker in a VM.

G-Prime posted:

This is a bit revisionist, because that's not why docker containers are easier - docker was designed to let developers control the application stack inside the container and not have to worry about shared libraries on the host (in which case, you might as well statically compile everything, and end up with Windows applications that ship with outdated versions of (Open/Libre)SSL when there's inevitably a new exploit discovered). Effectively,. the reason why docker containers are easier for users is just a side-effect of why they were developed in the first place.
The idea of containers themselves is not new, and even the idea of installing packages into a container like a jail isn't new (can be accomplished with pkg -j on FreeBSD). All you would need to do to have config files outside of the jail is nullfs mount their directories outside of the jail, which can be done with a tiny bit of tooling).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Well, I just bought a QDR infiniband switch. What do I want for an adapter? is the Sun X4237A decent enough with free OS's?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 18, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So umm how does corral work with plex and transmission?

I installed corral using virtual box but couldn't get plex working...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is a bit revisionist, because that's not why docker containers are easier - docker was designed to let developers control the application stack inside the container and not have to worry about shared libraries on the host (in which case, you might as well statically compile everything, and end up with Windows applications that ship with outdated versions of (Open/Libre)SSL when there's inevitably a new exploit discovered). Effectively,. the reason why docker containers are easier for users is just a side-effect of why they were developed in the first place.
The idea of containers themselves is not new, and even the idea of installing packages into a container like a jail isn't new (can be accomplished with pkg -j on FreeBSD). All you would need to do to have config files outside of the jail is nullfs mount their directories outside of the jail, which can be done with a tiny bit of tooling).

I should point out that I wasn't saying the migration is the reason they're more usable. You're dead right on what you said. Those two statements were intended to be completely independent. Having fully self-contained deployable app stacks that the user doesn't have to manage is phenomenal. You don't have to worry about what else you've got installed that might break dependencies, you just pull the container and go. You don't have to think about the upgrade procedure (for most things) because it's just pointing at the latest revision, since most major containers are vetted. It's just very slick. It's not a new concept at all, Thinstall existed on Windows years ago, jails have been around (but aren't nearly as automated and smooth), same with Solaris zones. And now there's Flatpak, Snapcraft, rkt, and others. Docker just happens to be the most popular and accepted one, which leads to ease of use by way of more developers building better containers.

caberham posted:

So umm how does corral work with plex and transmission?

I installed corral using virtual box but couldn't get plex working...

Installing Corral in a VM is going to bite people in the rear end, I'd bet. Apps that were traditionally plugins in previous versions now run in Docker containers, as we've been discussing. Except, Docker doesn't run on FreeBSD. So the host OS actually spins up a VM (boot2Docker, a stripped down Linux release) and runs the containers on it. Last I knew, Virtualbox only supported nested virtualization in very specific cases, so you may not be able to do that at all.

Edit: Virtualbox doesn't support nested at all.

Hughlander posted:

Just use the --ip option to docker run.

I just wasn't sure if Corral exposed that functionality. If it does, then that makes my life really easy. Thanks for pointing it out!

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

G-Prime posted:

I should point out that I wasn't saying the migration is the reason they're more usable. You're dead right on what you said. Those two statements were intended to be completely independent. Having fully self-contained deployable app stacks that the user doesn't have to manage is phenomenal. You don't have to worry about what else you've got installed that might break dependencies, you just pull the container and go. You don't have to think about the upgrade procedure (for most things) because it's just pointing at the latest revision, since most major containers are vetted. It's just very slick. It's not a new concept at all, Thinstall existed on Windows years ago, jails have been around (but aren't nearly as automated and smooth), same with Solaris zones. And now there's Flatpak, Snapcraft, rkt, and others. Docker just happens to be the most popular and accepted one, which leads to ease of use by way of more developers building better containers.
I get that docker is easier, but I sometimes question the principles, because I don't think the word "better" applies as a value judgement just because its most popular, and it means that everything installed via docker automatically becomes a much bigger attack surface if a lot of people end up installing things that way, since all deployments are the same and aren't more secure than just normally installing the software (there's no reason to think that the people doing docker packaging are any more security concious than the people doing packaging for pkg(src/ng), deb, rpm, and whatever other packaging tools are used).

Nested virtualization requires both hardware (VT-x and AMD-v, which is supported on most modern mid-to-high-end x86 CPUs and ARM v8.1A IP cores (ie. IP cores that aren't out yet) if you're doing ARM stuff) as well as software (ESXi, Xen, or bhyve spring to mind).

I hope this isn't a derail, but ARM v8.2-A looks very interesting for affordable high-availability consumer/SOHO/SMB packrat'ing since it includes R.A.S and previous ARM architecture upgrades already introduced the advanced SIMD (which can do AES at ~1Gbps), aarch64 made +4GB on ARM possible, and PCIe HBAs have been possible for a long time. All that's really missing is some form of hardware checksumming of SHA256, SHA512(/t) or Skein.

EDIT: Whoops, pressed submit instead of preview.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 18, 2017