Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Yakuza 0 looks like GTA mixed with Dynasty Warriors-esque combat, how accurate is that? I'm about to finish up Horizon, still have Nier waiting for me when I finish but now being tempted by Yakuza as well after watching a few clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ex post facho posted:

can someone explain the appeal of nier, i know basically nothing about the game, mechanics, what it plays like, story etc.

2B has a nice butt.

Games also really good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nier is a game about changing perspectives

Nier automata is similar but also the best action game in several years

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Scorps posted:

Yakuza 0 looks like GTA mixed with Dynasty Warriors-esque combat, how accurate is that? I'm about to finish up Horizon, still have Nier waiting for me when I finish but now being tempted by Yakuza as well after watching a few clips

It's more Shenmue than GTA tbh. Also I don't know if I'd say it has Dynasty Warriors combat. It's more of a brawler. Like Final Fight or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nier's story is legitimately amazing and reading the LP at the very least is probably worth your time.

Scorps posted:

Yakuza 0 isn't really all that much like GTA.

For one, it's actually a good game with a good sense of humor :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

I read the LP over the weekend and it sounds like a textbook cult game- a lot of people will be turned off by one faulty aspect or another but some will find it everything they ever hoped for to the point that they're unable to process how anyone doesn't. Its strength seems to be its writing and ability to subvert your expectations at every turn, especially your expectation that you're doing something righteous and worthwhile at any given moment.

Nier explained in under 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scorps posted:

Yakuza 0 is river city ransom mixed with shenmue.

Its not at all gta or dw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The most driving you do in Yakuza 0 is when you play OutRun

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And then there's Yakuza 5, which includes the most accurate driving simulator ever produced in a video game. It's like the loving inverse of GTA. You have to signal.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Arist posted:

And then there's Yakuza 5, which includes the most accurate driving simulator ever produced in a video game. It's like the loving inverse of GTA. You have to signal.

WHOA, you slammed on the brakes too hard. Time to deduct some points!

And yet it's one of the best minigames in the franchise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Taxi missions in Yakuza 5 were so good that I stopped playing the main story and did every single one of them in one sitting.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Arist posted:

And in the very same game (in fact, in the very same vehicle) you can go street racing down the highway at a million miles per hour, complete with a boost bar and pre-animated special moves

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Instant Grat posted:

And in the very same game (in fact, in the very same vehicle) you can go street racing down the highway at a million miles per hour, complete with a boost bar and pre-animated special moves

I actually sat there and did the whole bear hunting sidequests in one sitting. Although the chapter with Haruka was a bit weird. I can tell it was satire but there were quite a few things they definitely played straight.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Video Nasty posted:

The amount of ballistic details on some things is still impressing the hell out of me. Shooting at a fire extinguishers, packages of bottled water, some poker chips on a table, tires on cars, birds, just about every object has a unique reaction to it being struck. :allears:

One of my favourite things is a stat like penetration actually matters on certain weapons. Shooting a 7.62 rifle with certain amount of said stat will let you hit someone behind not only one, but two brick walls or even a small tree. The shooting feels a lot like BF4 in a good way. Bullet drop and traveling is a thing to take into account.

Wildlands may look your average Ubisoft open world but it has really nice touches and the fact that even after you "clear" a region from primary and secondary missions, you still have enemies to fight is really cool. Something more like FC2 but without the insane instant respawn.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does the Virtua Cop rail shooter section not count?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Uhhhh what

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, I got about 8 minutes into that and had to stop.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Guillermus posted:

I got GR Wildlands because some coworkers are playing it and... I got hooked. The game isn't going to blow any mind but if you like FC3/4 open world, taking outposts, great weapon customization and a Just Cause 2 feel (yes, you can slap C4 on a car and drive it to a building), you can enjoy Wildlands. I'm sure that repetition can kill this game but the shooting is actually nice and you can drive/pilot anything wich is a plus. I'm mixing it with God of War III and some Destiny so I feel like I have content for a looong time.

I'm playing with pubbies mostly so it's hit or miss but when you get the right group it's fun. As usual the betas hurt my opinion but the full game comes together nicely.

The scope of the game is intimidating though. Game says I've played for 20 hours and still haven't even seen 35% of the map, let alone completed the missions on it.

I can see it being frustrating to play later on when people are just trying to knock off their last few uncompleted missions, and those will be different for everyone.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Here's a quick recap of what you need to know leading into Nier: Automata:

• Magic is introduced into the world. Everyone dies.
  • The hero from Nier inadvertantly destroys a system intent on reviving humanity after magic disease runs its course. Everyone dies.
  • Aliens invade using robots. Everyone dies.
  • Humans escape to the moon, create androids to fight alien robots on Earth. Everyone dies.
  • 14 Machine Wars and 10,000 years later, 2Butt decides enough is enough and it's time to fight for the glory of mankind. Events of Nier: Automata. Everyone dies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fix posted:

Yeah, I got about 8 minutes into that and had to stop.

Sort of the point.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

Here's a quick recap of what you need to know leading into Nier: Automata:

• Magic is introduced into the world. Everyone dies.
  • The hero from Nier inadvertantly destroys a system intent on reviving humanity after magic disease runs its course. Everyone dies.
  • Aliens invade using robots. Everyone dies.
  • Humans escape to the moon, create androids to fight alien robots on Earth. Everyone dies.
  • 14 Machine Wars and 10,000 years later, 2Butt decides enough is enough and it's time to fight for the glory of mankind. Events of Nier: Automata. Everyone dies.

That does better than that video to be honest. I couldn't understand much after 10 minutes but from what I see on gameplay videos it looks drat fun. 2017 is a great year for videogames god drat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If everyone dies, how does there keep being people or robots to do things.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

bloodychill posted:

If everyone dies, how does there keep being people or robots to do things.

Very carefully.

Drakengard/Nier games all involve still trying even though everything seems to just be getting worse. Almost everyone dies every time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Liam O'Brien is so good in the first Nier

the localization of the first nier was insanely good in general

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dad Nier was such a good change to the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Dad Nier was such a good change to the game.

he came out in jpn first

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

the localization of the first nier was insanely good in general
I played both and yeah, so good that it felt like they were made in parallel...were they?

I'm playing Automata in Japanese right now, but is the English as awesome as it was for the first Nier?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

he came out in jpn first

Oh, I thought he was added only when they went to localize it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The lipsync is eh but the voices in Automata are real good

e: There's sadly no one that stands out as much as Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, or Jamieson Price did in the first game, but that's a high loving bar and it does have Ray Chase once again proving he's an insanely versatile VA.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Oh, I thought he was added only when they went to localize it.

no. jpn 360 version was daddy nier and that's the one that was localized for the west
afaik

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played both and yeah, so good that it felt like they were made in parallel...were they?

I'm playing Automata in Japanese right now, but is the English as awesome as it was for the first Nier?

it's still really good, tho I don't think 2b's va is as good as nier's was and of course weiss is still top tier

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Guillermus posted:

One of my favourite things is a stat like penetration actually matters on certain weapons. Shooting a 7.62 rifle with certain amount of said stat will let you hit someone behind not only one, but two brick walls or even a small tree. The shooting feels a lot like BF4 in a good way. Bullet drop and traveling is a thing to take into account.

Wildlands may look your average Ubisoft open world but it has really nice touches and the fact that even after you "clear" a region from primary and secondary missions, you still have enemies to fight is really cool. Something more like FC2 but without the insane instant respawn.

I just couldn't get past the precision aiming taking you from 3rd person to 1st ADS. It felt strange and clunky.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh wait, I forgot that DC Douglas is your pod, he's always great

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Don't forget to pet him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are there any good bundles out there for a PS4 pro?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm thinking about picking up either Nier or Horizon as a birthday present for myself. I don't have a PS4 Pro so Horizon won't look spectacular for me, and I never played the first Nier (But played Drakengard back in the day). Which would you guys recommend?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

horizon actually looks really great on a normal ps4, if thats a concern for you at all dont worry about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon still looks plenty spectacular on a non-pro, especially if you don't have a super-fancy TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

do you want to hunt robot dinosaurs or do you want a platinum character action game with rpg stuff