Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Code Jockey posted:

actually we had intricate networks of people doing tape copying and

I mean, haha what nerds

You fool, you're supposed to circulate MST3K tapes! :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Xenogears and Tool must've made for a lot of annoying 12 year old atheist weeaboos ordering $50 3 episode VHS subs of Evangelion from Yahoo Auctions.

I was going to make a "paying of fansubs" joke but Yahoo Answers wasn't around until Evangelion had been available in English for years which just makes that even worse.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

al-azad posted:

Xenogears and Tool must've made for a lot of annoying 12 year old atheist weeaboos ordering $50 3 episode VHS subs of Evangelion from Yahoo Auctions.

ExCUSE me there were only TWO episodes per $50 Evangelion tape. [hearty sobs]

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

ExCUSE me there were only TWO episodes per $50 Evangelion tape. [hearty sobs]

I legit saved this from a newsgroup:
code:
best tapes
Maxell HGX-BLACK 
Sony Type V-PRO (? clam-shell case)
Scotch Archive
Fuji A/V Master
TDK HiFi
Maxell XL-HiFi
Sony Type V-HG
Scotch HiFi
Fuji A/V Pro
Sony Type V
Scotch EG+/Performance High Grade 
worst tapes

Banned tapes: Number Eaten so far:

Maxell HGX-Gold or HGX-Silver 6
Polaroid Standard Grade 4
TDK STD 1
Sony ES 1
JVC SX or XR grade none yet (poor image)
Scotch HG none yet (poor image)
TDK E-HG none yet (they clog heads)

VHS TAPES, subtitled or dubbed
Ah! My Goddess Ep 1 - 5 (29 min ea) sub .......................... 19.95 ea 
Ah! My Goddess Collector's Complete Box Set (Ep 1 - 5) ........... 90.00
Akira (120 min) letterbox, sub ................................... 37.95 
Bubblegum Crisis #1 - 8 (30 - 53 min each) sub ................... 24.95 ea
Dominion, Pt 1 & 2 (80 min each) dub ............................. 19.95 ea
Dominion, New: Tank Police v 1, 2 & 3 (60 min ea) dub ............ 14.95 ea
Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf (50 min) dub ............... 19.95 
Fatal Fury: Motion Picture (100 min) dub ......................... 17.95 
Lodoss War Box Set (all 6 vol + phone card) sub ................. 120.00 
Ninja Scroll (Jubei Ninpocho, 94 min) ............................ 24.95 
* Otaku no Video (100 min) ......................................... 39.95 
Project A-Ko v 1 (86 min) sub .................................... 29.95
v 2 & 3 (70 & 50 min) sub ........................... 29.95 ea
Project A-Ko Grey Side/ Blue Side (2 tapes, 100 total min) ....... 49.95
Project A-Ko Final (59 min) sub .................................. 29.95 
Ranma TV v 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (50 min ea) dub ............. 29.95 ea
OAV v 4: An Akane to Remember (65 min) dub ................. 27.95 
* Ranma OAV Collector's Edition v 1, 2 (3 OAVs, 90 m) sub .......... 32.95 ea 
Movie 1: Trouble in Nekonron, China (74 min, dub) .......... 34.95
Movie 2: Nihao My Concubine (60 min, dub) .................. 34.95 
* Street Fighter II, the animated movie (96 min) dub ............... 14.95 
Tenchi Muyo v 1 - 6 (30 min ea) sub .............................. 24.95 ea 
Urotsuki Doji: 5-tape set (Adult) sub ............................ 99.95
Urotsuki Doji III: Return of the Overfiend 
Episodes 1, 3, 4 (Adult, 60 min ea) dub ...................... 29.95 ea
Vampire Hunter D (80 min) dub (CC) ............................... 17.95

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That is an EXPENSIVE rear end bootlegger. I'm glad I knew a subber who made his own copies for our anime clubs for cheap (because that's what I did in the 90s).

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Caitlin posted:

That is an EXPENSIVE rear end bootlegger. I'm glad I knew a subber who made his own copies for our anime clubs for cheap (because that's what I did in the 90s).

Well keep your no brand VHS tapes and SLP speed 4th generation copies away from my Maxell HXG-Black SP Speed First Generation Copies. :colbert:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If you didn't wake up at 6 am on Saturdays to tape Dragon Ball Z because it wasn't always on at 6 (sometimes 6:30, sometimes not at all) and you couldn't rely on your VCR's timer then you weren't a kid of the 90s.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mace Bacon posted:

Well keep your no brand VHS tapes and SLP speed 4th generation copies away from my Maxell HXG-Black SP Speed First Generation Copies. :colbert:

Man $19.95 was the cost of the RETAIL dub VHS for Oh! My Goddess ($29.99 for subtitles because they were inexplicably more expensive).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Caitlin posted:

Man $19.95 was the cost of the RETAIL dub VHS for Oh! My Goddess ($29.99 for subtitles because they were inexplicably more expensive).

It costs more to get that authentic experience.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

Gotta pay the premium for Japanese Voice Actors, and the translators. Plus I remember some subtitled VHS tapes doing interesting things, like Ghost in the Shell's subtitled version on VHS was widescreen but with the image shifted to the top, so there was a big black void on the bottom for the subtitles to go into without overlapping the picture at all. This was cool and something I wish stuck around as a feature.

Also one of the nice things with Laserdiscs, as well as DVD's when Anime started showing up there, was that it gave you both versions for less than getting the two separate VHS versions would cost, although the LaserDisc methodology for this was janky as gently caress: basically the subtitles were in the closed captions (my TV's predated CC and I had to buy a little composite passthrough box which added the CC's), the dub would be the digital stereo track, and the Japanese audio would usually be the analog stereo track, although I remember Tenchi Muyo in Love had revolutionary 5.1 Dolby Digital audio :pcgaming: so the left analog audio track was static if your player wasn't capable of recognizing the 5.1 track and you had to force your player to play the right channel in mono (but I think all players were designed to allow for this).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
That list is playing people for suckers. Just about everything there could be bought at Suncoast or Best Buy for the same prices or rented at Blockbuster. I bet that seller would even stick you with the extra-censored version of the Street Fighter II movie!

I remember watching Evangelion two episodes at a time, but the tapes were only $30 for subtitles and $20 for the dub where everyone except the main characters sounds like a cowboy.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I grew up in a small town in California's Central Valley, but was very fortunate to have a friend who moved up from LA in junior high. He would go back to LA to visit family and friends and return with a bounty of free fansubbed anime VHS tapes. This was how I watched stuff like Evangelion, Ranma 1/2, Fushigi Yuugi, Japanese Sailor Moon, Vision of Escaflowne, and others. He was also my only friend who owned Sega consoles, so I got to play a ton of Master System, Genesis, and Saturn thanks solely to him. Good dude!

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
I wasn't into anime but it's neat to see how closely these experiences mirror the Nirvana bootlegs and MST3K tapes I got back then.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

If you didn't wake up at 6 am on Saturdays to tape Dragon Ball Z because it wasn't always on at 6 (sometimes 6:30, sometimes not at all) and you couldn't rely on your VCR's timer then you weren't a kid of the 90s.

I always had to setup the VCR to record days of our lives for my sisters and mom before leaving for school and boy howdy did I get a world of poo poo if I hosed that up.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I was busy recording Sailor Moon m'self. And to this day I still have a few boxes of fansubbed tapes I should really get rid of but am inexplicably attached to, does someone have a good home for VHS bootlegs? I can hook you up with all of Fushigi Yuugi and Magic Knights Rayearth I think.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Sailor Moon? That's dumb crap for kids! My little sister watches it!

Now, me, I just spent eighty bucks on an imported copy of Gundress, the new movie from the same guy who did Ghost in the Shell! There's no way that could suck!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

flyboi posted:

I always had to setup the VCR to record days of our lives for my sisters and mom before leaving for school and boy howdy did I get a world of poo poo if I hosed that up.

We did this for Days of Our Lives for my mother and COPS for my dad because he was usually out on patrol when it aired. We had a big stack of tapes that he'd slowly get through on his days off.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was lucky to have a store nearby called Tate's that rented fansubs and legit licensed stuff on VHS, and would just copy the stuff I liked though I did know some people into tape trading, one guy would get DBZ as it aired from Japan with commercials and all (unsubbed) and another dude was into Japanese wrestling and had a big network of people sending him tapes of that. Tate's moved on to selling HKDVDs and I still have a couple of those sets, amazingly they never got busted and are still around as a much more boring general comic book store

e: there was also a store in Miami near a university there that sold VHS fansubs and I think I have a few of their tapes somewhere

e2: Tates also had this pretty cool thing around christmas time

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 14, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember as a teenager my brother having got some unsubbed tapes from Dragon Ball Z around the time the regular dub ended on the Jeice/Burter fight. I seem to remember he had the episode where they used the spirit ball on Freiza and him going super saiyan, some Cell episodes I forgot, the start of the adult tournament in the Buu SaGa, and Fusion Reborn. Think Fusion Reborn was the only one I would rewatch since it not out of context like the other three and up until Battle of the Gods is still probably the best of the DBZ movies.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Gotta admit I had to double-take on d0s posting something about Tate's in a thread where he has used Tate as a verb more often than I can count.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
My hometown's local comic store rented just about every commercial anime tape for a dollar a night, so that took care of me. I watched so many lousy one-off OVAs just because they were cheap. Ask me about Grandoll, Bounty Dog, Gestalt, Princess Minerva, Wild Cardz, and Early Reins!

To answer an earlier question, I don't think there's much interest in old fansub VHS tapes unless they're truly rare (with no official retail release anywhere) or filled with fan drama like the Miami Mike incident. If you have stuff taped directly off TV, however, I'm sure people would want to check out the commercials.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kid Fenris posted:

My hometown's local comic store rented just about every commercial anime tape for a dollar a night, so that took care of me. I watched so many lousy one-off OVAs just because they were cheap. Ask me about Grandoll, Bounty Dog, Gestalt, Princess Minerva, Wild Cardz, and Early Reins!

Oh man I rented so many random OVAs from Blockbuster. I can't remember half of them now, except so many titties, so much blood and gore.

d0s posted:

e2: Tates also had this pretty cool thing around christmas time

This owns

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Gotta admit I had to double-take on d0s posting something about Tate's in a thread where he has used Tate as a verb more often than I can count.

I wonder if he knows Crazy Steve of Roboplastic Apocalypse. Perhaps DOS is the Reverse Flash to Steve's best Flash Wally West? Also the whole FLORIDA thing explains a looooot really...

Btw I bought the Adv Eva tapes as they came out, mostly dubbed because cheaper. It was like two goddamned years before it was all out. Then a few more before End of Eva DVD was out. And was terrible outside of TUMBLING DOWN TUMB TUMBLING DOOOWN. I even got the Viz anime Videogames magazine back then. Some of the letters were :smith: as gently caress. Like some dude basically equating a song on one of the Fatal Fury animes to being a way to actually have some form of self esteem by continuing to play fighting games no matter how much your poo poo got wrecked. Because it's all you have going in your life as maybe doing good at mid 90s fighting games. (Writer must have played the bi dude on our ship who was a loving DEMON with Kim Hapkwan. Our ship had a Neo Geo cabinet on it. Ff2 and one of the World Heroes. Some guy who spent more effort avoiding work than doing it was pretty brutal with the Nazi NOT DHALSIM in that series.)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

To answer an earlier question, I don't think there's much interest in old fansub VHS tapes unless they're truly rare (with no official retail release anywhere) or filled with fan drama like the Miami Mike incident. If you have stuff taped directly off TV, however, I'm sure people would want to check out the commercials.

I doubt most of them are rare I just find them horribly nostalgic and have a hard time throwing them out, which is why they live in a box in my storage closet. :sigh:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Another addition to the family

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

I doubt most of them are rare I just find them horribly nostalgic and have a hard time throwing them out, which is why they live in a box in my storage closet. :sigh:

If you still have a VCR, you could get one of those cheap USB Easycap clone devices on Ebay and digitize 'em all. It might make it easier to get rid of most of them.

EDIT:

HKR posted:

Another addition to the family

Ah, werd. How did you get such a decent pic of the screen in action, by the way?

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Captain Rufus posted:

I wonder if he knows Crazy Steve of Roboplastic Apocalypse. Perhaps DOS is the Reverse Flash to Steve's best Flash Wally West? Also the whole FLORIDA thing explains a looooot really...

Btw I bought the Adv Eva tapes as they came out, mostly dubbed because cheaper. It was like two goddamned years before it was all out. Then a few more before End of Eva DVD was out. And was terrible outside of TUMBLING DOWN TUMB TUMBLING DOOOWN. I even got the Viz anime Videogames magazine back then. Some of the letters were :smith: as gently caress. Like some dude basically equating a song on one of the Fatal Fury animes to being a way to actually have some form of self esteem by continuing to play fighting games no matter how much your poo poo got wrecked. Because it's all you have going in your life as maybe doing good at mid 90s fighting games. (Writer must have played the bi dude on our ship who was a loving DEMON with Kim Hapkwan. Our ship had a Neo Geo cabinet on it. Ff2 and one of the World Heroes. Some guy who spent more effort avoiding work than doing it was pretty brutal with the Nazi NOT DHALSIM in that series.)

I wonder if Neo Geo units sold really well to military arcades. I would see one, maybe two Neo Geo standups in the local Chuck E. Cheese ripoff, and they usually just had Samurai Shodown or King of Fighters. The nearby Air Force base had half a dozen cabinets with stuff like King of the Monsters 2, 2020 Super Baseball, and the latest Metal Slug.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kid Fenris posted:

What's the Miami Mike incident

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Also the whole FLORIDA thing explains a looooot really...

can you expand on this, I'm not sure I catch your meaning

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You knew how to tell the Kool Kidz* from the losers in high school during the late 90s by which name they used for this gentleman:

*huge dorks

its not HERCULE you loser its MR. SATAN JEEEEZ

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ah, werd. How did you get such a decent pic of the screen in action, by the way?

standing at the right angle I guess. I was just as surprised!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

6 am Nick Arcade, 6:30 on another channel Dragon Ball, 7:00 on yet another channel for DRAGON DRAGON ROCK DA DRAGON

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Bigass Moth posted:

I guess it was sometime in 93, I happened to notice a half-hour show at 6am on Saturday in our local TV guide (not the national magazine, a newspaper-like booklet that came with sunday's paper) that just said "Dragon" in the limited space for that slot. I was really into the Dragon Warrior games on NES and I had heard there was an anime of it, so I was excited that it could be it. For whatever reason I actually got up at 5:45 to watch it live instead of taping. I was disappointed at first to find that it was Dragon Ball instead (not Z, the original), but I watched the episode and found it hilarious. They completely butchered the 4th wall and that was an extremely rare thing to see in a kid's cartoon, so I thought it was really clever and liked it a lot.

It wasn't worth waking up at the asscrack of dawn on a Saturday, though. And the next time I thought to set the VCR to tape it, it was no longer in the TV guide. I've still never seen the Dragon Quest anime or the rest of Dragon Ball.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
My buddy had some family in HK and they sent him bootleg sub DVDs of Gundam Seed when it was first airing. We loved it at first, but a few episodes in the subs ceased existing and we couldn't understand what was happening anymore. Years later I now know that 0 dialogue Seed is actually the best way to enjoy it.

Further back I remember watching subbed Sailor Moon laserdiscs in my friend's attic. Those were the days.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

My group were all people who had been watching anime since like the 80's and we poo poo on DBZ constantly as noob poo poo. It was probably really obnoxious

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

I was lucky to have a store nearby called Tate's

I hated Tates even before I saw the man himself prying open packs of collectible miniatures at another store to check for rare figures before buying them. I always got a Comic Book Guy vibe from that place.

I always went to CAGE anyway (and it will always be CAGE even after they changed owners and name).

My embarrassing anime admission: I got a package of fansubs (which of course I didn't pay for; I did things the right way be mailing off VHS cassettes to a college anime club half the country away and then waiting three months) the night before I had to leave on a trip and I stayed up until midnight watching them all when I had to leave for the airport at 5am.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kid Fenris posted:

I wonder if Neo Geo units sold really well to military arcades. I would see one, maybe two Neo Geo standups in the local Chuck E. Cheese ripoff, and they usually just had Samurai Shodown or King of Fighters. The nearby Air Force base had half a dozen cabinets with stuff like King of the Monsters 2, 2020 Super Baseball, and the latest Metal Slug.

Oh the arcades and game rooms in the Navy early 90s to mid 90s when I got out? loving MAGICAL. Linked cabinets of Virtua Racing, Daytona, Outrunners, Super Street Fighter 2. Classics like environmental Disks of Tron, Star Wars Atari, Time Pilot. 6 player 2 Screen X Men, Mortal Kombats. Infamous Kusoges like the Gal's Panic anime porno Qix, Time Killers, that Hologram Cowboy Sega game. Pinballs. Go around the base or on some of the larger ships like mine and you WERE finding arcade machines Go do some laundry on base because the one on ship basically meant your day was spent in that tiny laundry room praying for death? Throw some coin in the jukebox to hear November Rain then play a couple games of Killer Instinct and some SHMUPs or maybe NBA Jam.

Base theater? Make it a double feature and play some Virtua Fighter or Tekken or Bust a Move! (Or get irritated by some rear end in a top hat who kept hopping in your Street Fighter Alpha game when you were just about to beat an AI and THEN he hops in with Guy that you own, then you go back and the AI owns you. Repeat for a HALF GODDAMNED HOUR. :doom: )

When I was up in Illinois it was just a cheap train ride down to Chicago. Go down to North Pier Mall. Register for some BATTLETECH CENTER and walk to the other side and play some Virtuality stuff or GI Joe or BOTS or even a Laser Tag thing while you wait. Hell, going IN the service the processing center had Konami Aliens which actually made going to it for paperwork not entirely awful. (Except for having to do the DUCK WALK. That was some loving dumb poo poo. My recruiter joked when I told him about it that he and some other recruiters tried to do it and the results were... comical.)

I probably picked the best time to be in the Navy as it was like the last golden age of arcades. Or if we consider the early 80s to be the actual would it make the early mid 90s the silver age? Does it matter?

There is one third person kinda rendered rally car game we had on ship I wished I knew the name of. It was loving fun as poo poo even though it was hard. I think it might have been by Atari but I am not too sure. The car was loving huge on screen though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I hated Tates even before I saw the man himself prying open packs of collectible miniatures at another store to check for rare figures before buying them. I always got a Comic Book Guy vibe from that place.

I always went to CAGE anyway (and it will always be CAGE even after they changed owners and name).

My embarrassing anime admission: I got a package of fansubs (which of course I didn't pay for; I did things the right way be mailing off VHS cassettes to a college anime club half the country away and then waiting three months) the night before I had to leave on a trip and I stayed up until midnight watching them all when I had to leave for the airport at 5am.

Are we talking about the same place because I've never heard of a place called CAGE (this is in south florida). I do have a story about the owner of my Tates, I overheard a friend of his ask him how he sleeps at night selling bootleg HKDVDs at such a high markup and he responded "on a bed of money". It used to be you could get HKDVDs from certain websites for super cheap but you had to wait ages for really sketchy shipping form HK or China, so people still bought them from his shop

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
A whole 7 dollars got me something good for my new 64 and Dreamcast:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Everything I was interested in as a kid involved tape trading.

Anime
Wrestling

END OF LIST.

Now the internet just makes it even easier.

• Locked thread