Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tiggum posted:

I can't speak for counterfeitsaint, but I really have no idea what WhiskeyWhiskers's post meant.

Responding to "[historical figure] was racist/sexist/whatever" with "well, that's just how things were back then" serves to inflate our esteem for people we might otherwise have a more mixed opinion of. Also, it ignores the fact that various forms of bigotry, while they were often more socially acceptable than they are today, were not universal; there were people pushing back against it, and "that's just what it was like in those days" can serve to minimize their efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
We book readers know that the historical anolog for the OPA is the Taliban :D

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 14, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Responding to "[historical figure] was racist/sexist/whatever" with "well, that's just how things were back then" serves to inflate our esteem for people we might otherwise have a more mixed opinion of. Also, it ignores the fact that various forms of bigotry, while they were often more socially acceptable than they are today, were not universal; there were people pushing back against it, and "that's just what it was like in those days" can serve to minimize their efforts.

You would have totally done it differently, of course.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Why are people using our cool beltalowda bros beratnas as a jumping point to discuss which dictators they admire?

(mild book spoilers) I predict a lot of very butthurt maoist-third worldists or whatever when the real OPA hardliners show up down the line

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Belters are bad and the Inners should genocide them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Not to mention Belters dress like twiggy space hipsters

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

gohmak posted:

Only in his head. By the time that load of delusional garbage comes out he's already on the road to ruin

Book 6 is the weakest one which says a lot considering book 4.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

Ey koyo, keep ya mout shut before some rocks drop ya!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Post isn't surprising given that goons are basically what belters believe earthers are like.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Collateral posted:

You would have totally done it differently, of course.

Yup, that's what those words meant. Good job!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
figuring out which terrorist group the OPA is most like is the most fun this thread has had in days do not ruin it with book spoilers!!

I say this as someone who read all six, though man tho, the last one was baaaaaad.

Anyways, I still say Hamas.

Though they appear to be trying to pull a Hizballah from what we saw in the last few episodes.

I mean kinda, I can't think of a good example since we don't really have a case of a terrorist group grabbing nukes except for that one brief time when Pakistan almost lost a nuclear sub.

but in terms of "unquestionably bad actors, with political legitimacy in some areas" it fits kinda.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 14, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Uh Pakistan has no nuclear armed or nuclear powered subs last I checked

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Belters are the IRA because goons have sympathy for them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

gohmak posted:

Not All OPA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mormonism is a religion of peace.

Belters are godless commies.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

I can't remember better twitter burns

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Holy poo poo that's amazing

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grandma Panic! posted:

Apparently i'm an idiot cuz I just now realized that Anderson Dawes is played by Jared Harris

Jared Harris is also the son of Richard Harris, who is known now by younger types as the original Dumbledore but was also a great actor who was also a legendary drunkard (there are actually books dedicated to his exploits - I recommend "Hellraisers" by Robert Sellers which is hilarious) and for a while a supporter of the IRA.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smiling Jack posted:

Uh Pakistan has no nuclear armed or nuclear powered subs last I checked

Well then I'm remembering something else. Either way there was a huge security breach a few years back.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

The Iron Rose posted:

Well then I'm remembering something else. Either way there was a huge security breach a few years back.

Is that what the pharmacy called it when you stole some hallucinogenic stuff?

"Huge security breach" doesn't appear in the script or novel forms of Hunt for Red October.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

The first book described the OPA as Hamas directly

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's good to know that posters in this thread are morally superior to every freedom fighter, activist, revolutionary, in fact every single person throughout all of human history.

I can't wait until the new 20 dollar comes out so I can point to it and loudly proclaim that Harriet Tubman was actually a literal piece of poo poo because she didn't stop what she was doing to fight for trans bathroom rights.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phi230 posted:

The first book described the OPA as Hamas directly

You know that was a book readers inside joke right? Of course the character I won't spoil was dead wrong.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Smiling Jack posted:

Holy poo poo that's amazing

It's me, the guy who doesn't get the joke but asks for everyone who won't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kingtheninja posted:

Gerry Adams is associated with the Irish Republican Army (IRA).

The IRA used time bombs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thank you! Now I'm laughing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Gerry Adams is both a PIRA terrorist and a the head of the political wing of the PIRA, Sinn Fein.

The PIRA used time bombs to kill a lot of people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's good to know that posters in this thread are morally superior to every freedom fighter, activist, revolutionary, in fact every single person throughout all of human history.

I can't wait until the new 20 dollar comes out so I can point to it and loudly proclaim that Harriet Tubman was actually a literal piece of poo poo because she didn't stop what she was doing to fight for trans bathroom rights.

Hmm, you would have a point if anyone in this topic had compared the OPA to an organisation that didn’t kill hundreds of innocent people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Earth is Luxembourg, Mars is Canada, and the OPA is Mongolia.

It's pretty obvious if you've read the books.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

Are you confusing this with the Andre Braugher tv show Last Resort?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

Hmm, you would have a point if anyone in this topic had compared the OPA to an organisation that didn’t kill hundreds of innocent people.

It has nothing to do with OPA. People in this thread are unironically arguing that you shouldn't respect or care about historical figures due to their lack of a 2017 set of values.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Earth is the Judean Peoples' Front, Mars is the Popular Judean Front and the OPA is of course the heroic revolutionaries who hate gays and blacks the Peoples' Front of Judea :ussr:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Doesn't that make the Protomolecule the Romans?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

It has nothing to do with OPA. People in this thread are unironically arguing that you shouldn't respect or care about historical figures due to their lack of a 2017 set of values.

I think the Cold War is not quite old enough or far enough from modern values to be lumping pro USSR revolutionaries in with Roman slavery or the crusades or whatever you happen to respect.

History should be separated from politics or you just get lovely, partisan history anyway. That means taking out the admiration as well as the disgust :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

counterfeitsaint posted:

That happened precisely once so far as I can tell, and it was Castro, who was contemporary with the U.S. Civil Rights Movement.

If Castro gets a pass on racism, why not George Wallace?

Even with a pass, he’s no Harriet Tubman.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The UN is modern day America, Mars is early post-revolution America, and the belt is pre-revolutionary America. But all from the alternate history where humans actually evolved from dinosaurs and King George was a "gray" alien sent to earth to stop the reptoids.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

counterfeitsaint posted:

You completely misunderstood my real objections to Castro. Which was my intent, but I'm not a TVIV regular and thought goons were more sophisticated over here. It's always nice when a long shot pays off.

In the books Amos is trolling everyone with the allied psychopath routine and he's actually just a gender studies major who ran from his student loans and picked up spaceship engineering as a hobby while converting his passion for SJW campus politics into casual murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Earth is Spain, Mars is England, and the belt are pirates.

• Locked thread