Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

I'm guessing you didn't see the pilot? It's not touching the cartoon. It's doing it's own thing.

Arthur spends the whole episode wondering if the guy in the blue suit is even real because he is suffering PTSD from having seen his world's most famous heroes killed by being blinded by weaponized syphilis then shot in their faces.
Plus Jackie Earle Haley was amazing in his one scene as the supervillain of the piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Shou-Lao will not be in Iron Fist this season, only "alluded to." That's very disappointing to hear.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/13/iron-fist-shou-lao-will-not-appear-on-screen/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

Shou-Lao will not be in Iron Fist this season, only "alluded to." That's very disappointing to hear.

[/url]

Iron Fist: "I got my powers from something huge, something godlike..."

Random Netflix MCU bystander: "You mean like the green guy or the blond dude?"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ihatepants posted:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/13/iron-fist-shou-lao-will-not-appear-on-screen/

So we're not even going to get a proper origin story? Are we even going to see Kun Lun?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's only ok if Iron Fist's theme song is "Stop draggin' my heart around"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If any of you thought you were getting a dragon fight on the budget these shows have, you deserve to be disappointed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ihatepants posted:

"We've gone out of our way to make this show about a magical kung fu man but gosh darn it we have to be realistic. Also we maybe don't have the money to make a show about a magical kung fu man. "

Who exactly is this show for at this point?

Gaz-L posted:

If any of you thought you were getting a dragon fight on the budget these shows have, you deserve to be disappointed.

Full blown dragon fight? Nah, didn't expect it. But the damned thing isn't in the show at all.

Also, if the Flash can have multiple episodes with a bunch of talking gorillas on their even worse budget, then I am fairly certain we could have gotten a few decent shots of the key part of Iron Fist's origin.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 14, 2017

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gaz-L posted:

I was hoping he'd punch Sisqó in the heart.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ugh I was really hoping Iron Fist would finally bring a little more fantasy/spectacle into the Netflix shows but it sounds like it's not even going to be at the level of of the others. This is one of those times where the "Marvel plays it too safe" trope really gains traction, they had three hit series with more mundane characters, let's try something with a little more flare.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nipponophile posted:

I'm guessing you didn't see the pilot? It's not touching the cartoon. It's doing it's own thing.

Arthur spends the whole episode wondering if the guy in the blue suit is even real because he is suffering PTSD from having seen his world's most famous heroes killed by being blinded by weaponized syphilis then shot in their faces.

Just like the live action show was it's own thing, the cartoon was it's own thing, the comic is it's own thing. I loved the new pilot and am totally on board with the new show, and I say that as a die hard cartoon lover. I mean, I enjoy the show The Tick, not that I'm actually "in love" with Cartoons.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Doubly worse that he probably won't have any kind of costume. I think his look is a little too close to daredevil in season 1 for Danny to have anything good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why didn't they just do moon knight? Lol good job at loving up what could have redeemed iron fist to some.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Isn't Moon Knight one of the rumored future series?

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

It's okay guys, Finn Jones' has come to his show's defence. It turns out it's only been poorly received because Iron Fist was made for real fans, not critics.

Also Trump.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Someone needs to tell Finn Jones to shut up and take his lumps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm surprised Jeph Loeb hasn't driven to Jones' house and taken his laptop away.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Which cast member of BvS was the one who said that critics and Jeremy Irons just didn't get BvS because it was a love letter to the fans and not Hollywood?

I don't think that defense has ever worked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is the DC movie defense. That doesn't work Finn. Sorry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, I like Iron Fist as a character, probably more than I like Daredevil or any of the other Netflix characters, and my interest in this show is like, less than nothing. No dragon, no kung fu, boring lead, boring everything. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lurdiak posted:

Man, I like Iron Fist as a character, probably more than I like Daredevil or any of the other Netflix characters, and my interest in this show is like, less than nothing. No dragon, no kung fu, boring lead, boring everything. What the gently caress were they thinking?

I have no investment in Iron Fist at all, but I had no investment in Jessica Jones either and really enjoyed it.

I'm still going to watch Iron Fist, keep an open mind, and try not to let the reviews of less than half the show unfairly color my view.

But... what I'm reading so far sounds pretty meh. Not terrible; just meh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So how about we start posting cocktails in the thread for what we will drink heavily with watching iron fist?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So how about we start posting cocktails in the thread for what we will drink heavily with watching iron fist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9TaEuZjWaU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have no investment in Iron Fist at all, but I had no investment in Jessica Jones either and really enjoyed it.

I'm still going to watch Iron Fist, keep an open mind, and try not to let the reviews of less than half the show unfairly color my view.

But... what I'm reading so far sounds pretty meh. Not terrible; just meh.

Making a guy who out-fought a dragon and punched an incoming mag-train to pieces "meh" is a drat sin.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Ugh I was really hoping Iron Fist would finally bring a little more fantasy/spectacle into the Netflix shows but it sounds like it's not even going to be at the level of of the others. This is one of those times where the "Marvel plays it too safe" trope really gains traction, they had three hit series with more mundane characters, let's try something with a little more flare.

Best Marvel Television and the best Marvel features are when they break out of their pre-determined shell. DDs1, JJ, and Luke Cage all took chances on a variety of issues from production, casting, topics covered, etc... but nothing from Iron Fist really seems to be standing out. I don't even think the casting is all that diverse. gently caress, AOS has two Chinese actors, one black actor, and three women in their core cast. I'll be really surprised if Iron Fist meets even that level of diversity.

EDIT: Not even sure I'd count Madame Gau since she was from Daredevil.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I love how the "for the fans" defense is almost exclusively used for things that deviate from the core of the property these days.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I just don't know who this show is for. I'll watch it because why not. I had low expectations for Jessica Jones going in and by the end I really liked it. I'm hoping to be surprised. But this is the first time I'm going into one of these shows aware of bad reviews.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

This is why actors should be kept under lock and key, sheesh what an embarrassment

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Which cast member of BvS was the one who said that critics and Jeremy Irons just didn't get BvS because it was a love letter to the fans and not Hollywood?

I don't think that defense has ever worked.

I think it's accurate for Kevin Smith's stuff, although that isn't the same as "working".

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it's accurate for Kevin Smith's stuff, although that isn't the same as "working".

Ah yes, Iron Fist can enjoy the company of trash like Jersey Girl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quantum and Woody TV show under development by the Russo Brothers. Imagine I said that in an extremely TRABAMPOLINE voice.

Oh and Legion got a second season.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 15, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also since its based on a Neil Gaiman work here is the official trailer for American Gods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awG5wEE7LU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Friends, is Iron Fist as bad as they say?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Even if someone has been watching non-stop since its release with no pee breaks or pauses, they wouldn't be done yet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've only gone through the first episode. The tviv thread has more experience at this point. I don't hate it yet, but my initial thought was it felt kinda lazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even if someone has been watching non-stop since its release with no pee breaks or pauses, they wouldn't be done yet.

Lol if you don't watch all netflix releases at 2x speed so you can be the first to post your opinions about it online.

Kingtheninja posted:

I've only gone through the first episode. The tviv thread has more experience at this point. I don't hate it yet, but my initial thought was it felt kinda lazy.

As long as it's merely fine I'll watch it, but if it ends up just being terrible front to back I'll skip it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The title sequence has the best fighting I think

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I haven't see anything yet, but the consensus from TV IV seems to be "okay".

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It's not a disaster but it's definitely the weakest so far (through 3). They're running a lot of the same tropes they do in other series but on the whole, I'm at least enjoying it. It's definitely watchable.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I just finished the eleventh episode and it's a solid okay. Unlike the other Marvel Netflix shows Iron Fist starts off with a sketchy first episode (the dialogue dealing with the disbelief of his identity is seriously the worst part) and the second isn't that great either, but after that it's pretty okay. There's no Daredevil's Hallway or Punisher Versus The Mob, but it also hasn't fallen apart in the second half like Jessica Jones or Luke Cage did. I think the fact that they didn't just adapt a storyline from the comics and pad it out to fill the episode order has been a good thing. It ties back into Daredevil a fair bit and has it's dumb / bland bits, but there's nothing truly bad about it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

It's just a huge nothingburger. I don't feel outright mad at the show, it's just that nothing really happens, and the writing and fight choreography are super hokey, four episodes into it.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

I'm actually enjoying it more than the first half of DD2.