Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you're not ready to share your finances, are you really ready to get married? I feel like that amount of trust is required for a successful marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you're not ready to share your finances, are you really ready to get married? I feel like that amount of trust is required for a successful marriage.

This kind of cuts both ways though.

What if they take you down with them?

Lots of people think it's crass to consider finances at all in a relationship beyond a gambling addiction. Throw in sunk cost fallacy and the refusal to break up/divorce and for some people it is easier to triage financially and ride it out.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure about this. Sharing information about finances does not necessitate combining them, and I wouldn't expect my SO to presume although an open and earnest discussion about finances in general is mandatory. We might give to each other in expenses if there was a serious imbalance, but on the whole that's a personal choice not an assumption of complete and flat leveling post-marriage. A "shared account" for general expenses seems to be the norm with my friends who are married and it seems to work for them.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This kind of cuts both ways though.

What if they take you down with them?

Lots of people think it's crass to consider finances at all in a relationship beyond a gambling addiction. Throw in sunk cost fallacy and the refusal to break up/divorce and for some people it is easier to triage financially and ride it out.

Right but if you don't have the foundation of trust or the basic level of compatibility/adult life skills to not sink two people, you're not ready to be married. Marriage doesn't fix two incompetent people just like having a kid doesn't fix a broken marriage; it compounds problems. You can't use one competent person to prop up one incompetent person, either, it just drags both down. Taking care of an adult who becomes disabled is a full time job; taking care of an adult who is actively fighting your efforts like with mental illness takes a team of caregivers.

Bhodi posted:

I'm not sure about this. Sharing information about finances does not necessitate combining them, and I wouldn't expect my SO to presume although an open and earnest discussion about finances in general is mandatory. We might give to each other in expenses if there was a serious imbalance, but on the whole that's a personal choice not an assumption of complete and flat leveling post-marriage. A "shared account" for general expenses seems to be the norm with my friends who are married and it seems to work for them.

This. The open and honest communication is mandatory. Commingling of funds or accounts is the part that's up for discussion. You can't have any sort of meeting of the minds without that communication, and even a prenup is communication.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 15, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

However, in the eyes of the law your finances are shared whether you like it or not. Barring some unusual circumstances, you may as well accept that and treat them that way.

Sure there are some specifics that vary state to state, but generally anything received post-marriage is not "his" nor "hers" but "ya'll's".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Guinness posted:

However, in the eyes of the law your finances are shared whether you like it or not. Barring some unusual circumstances, you may as well accept that and treat them that way.

Sure there are some specifics that vary state to state, but generally anything received post-marriage is not "his" nor "hers" but "ya'll's".
This isn't even close to being true. In general, the most you can say is that there is a sliding scale with regards to alimony, of which income is a factor. Just as an example, debt incurred by one is not shared by the other. If one were to die but with huge medical bills due to a long hospital stay, it is not incumbent on the survivor to pay them and make themselves destitute; they are paid out through the deceased's estate.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 15, 2017

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

NancyPants posted:

I am lazy and too stupid to work reddit. I want to read the comments cause half the users there are just as stupid as the OP, like this nincompoop on the twit forced to pay her own CC bills and rent late fees:

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/3tr634/boyfriend_23_does_not_know_how_to_enjoy_his_money/cx8jr9l/]

e: not paying $9 for a loving pint of ice cream for your entitled girlfriend is "irrationally stingy"

But the 9$ ice cream pint isn't in the original reddit post. The comments seem a bit more reasonable when you read the reddit post instead of the version posted here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A dearth of quality BWM stories means more diamond-horse chat.

Bring on the fabricated stories!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The crazy parent that is teaching her son to hate the world at a young age messed up the rent percentage and it is really bothering me. The roof over your head shouldn't be more than 35% of monthly budget.

I've considered for future children - making them aware of household expenses but man that's just a whole new level. If she wants to really bring it home, she should randomly have a "poo poo, some rear end in a top hat hit your car with no insurance, now you've got to pay up for the deductible" and then just rake all of his saved earnings.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

flynt posted:

But the 9$ ice cream pint isn't in the original reddit post. The comments seem a bit more reasonable when you read the reddit post instead of the version posted here.
Yeah I was actually surprised at how low the post was rated when you read the real original. She makes it clear that she's paying for her own stuff, saving money, and not at all reliant on him to make her way. There's a bit of "I wish he would spend some of his money on me..." but I read it as more, "I wish he would demonstrate he values me and our experiences together" than her being irrationally selfish about his money.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Also she only makes 12k as a student so the disparity is even larger.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guinness posted:

Communal property laws differ wildly between states and there is very little in the way of federal laws.

In practice, most people are going to bail out the other partner, though.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

That system seems to work well enough when both people are in similarish situations (e.g. DINK couple with both people at a similar level on the career ladder) or someone is in a situation where they want to insulate their other partner from their financial history (e.g. divorce or past debts), but lots of people don't think beyond that point. If you have kids and one of you becomes a stay-at-home parent, does that person all of a sudden have no discretionary spending? Are vacations and retirement general expenses or individual ones? If they're individual, will you seriously leave your spouse at home when they can't afford to go on vacation with you? Are you seriously okay with the possibility that one person retires 15-20 years before the other? Will you go to the movies and eat out alone (or at least without your spouse) for the rest of your life because your spouse decided to spend all of their personal money on horseboats? Part of the desire to keep separate accounts comes from a desire to preserve personal financial autonomy, but for many people it also comes from a desire to avoid personal financial accountability.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

The crazy parent that is teaching her son to hate the world at a young age messed up the rent percentage and it is really bothering me. The roof over your head shouldn't be more than 35% of monthly budget.

I've considered for future children - making them aware of household expenses but man that's just a whole new level. If she wants to really bring it home, she should randomly have a "poo poo, some rear end in a top hat hit your car with no insurance, now you've got to pay up for the deductible" and then just rake all of his saved earnings.

I know exactly why it is bothering me: She is a hair's breadth away from the parent who opens a credit card in her child's name and justifies it by "I gave birth to you/put a roof over your head/fed you!" She's a bully. She's not teaching him anything about how to manage money because her child has no autonomy in managing money. She's just exerting control over someone with no care to their needs or wants. It's called abuse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't really understand the separate finances thing (other than in situations to insulate the other person like what powerlurker mentioned). Marriage is marriage. If you aren't willing to be 100% responsible to each other (and this includes financially) it seems like you've just got a really good roommate that maybe you're having kids with. If one or both of you prevents this type of dedication and you get married anyway you are just another component of that 40-50% divorce rate in the US.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

NancyPants posted:

I know exactly why it is bothering me: She is a hair's breadth away from the parent who opens a credit card in her child's name and justifies it by "I gave birth to you/put a roof over your head/fed you!" She's a bully. She's not teaching him anything about how to manage money because her child has no autonomy in managing money. She's just exerting control over someone with no care to their needs or wants. It's called abuse.
If you read the other comments by the poster in the thread, your assertion becomes clearly out of touch with the reality being presented. People raised valid criticisms of the method and the OP was like, "Yeah, you're right. We were too gung-ho about this. I see what you've presented as a more reasonable option." At least from my reading of it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

If you read the other comments by the poster in the thread, your assertion becomes clearly out of touch with the reality being presented. People raised valid criticisms of the method and the OP was like, "Yeah, you're right. We were too gung-ho about this. I see what you've presented as a more reasonable option." At least from my reading of it.

Except people literally do what I just said :confused: If she changes her ways it doesn't change the fact that that crazy method is still crazy. Do you think that every time a person makes a mistake they've got to wear a scarlet letter for life or something?

E: I should have been clearer that I understand people can do lovely things without being lovely for life.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

I was thinking the same thing. She set her kid up to fail by charging him 50% of his income in rent. She'd be better off giving him an idealized ratio of housing to income. At least that way he grows up assuming that's the proper way to budget.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The entire concept is sort of silly, because like hell a 5 year old is "earning" $100 a week. If you're trying to give the kid an idea of the value of a dollar, giving them $100 for the kind of chores a 5 year old can do is sending mixed messages.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Eh I empathize. I think she's well intentioned. As someone who grew up with nothing, raising a child in an upper middle class home, it's something I struggle with. How do you teach your child the value of a dollar when the way you were taught the value of the dollar was by only ever buying clothes from the local thrift store because your parents couldn't afford anything else and happily sleeping on a mattress from the side of the road because it was at least a mattress?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If only there were some shared pool of knowledge and a way of dispersing that knowledge to others.

I guess there's no way of knowing.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
It's not how I do things, but there's nothing wrong with various levels of "seperate" finances. Good couples find out what works for them. It is interesting that it seems that BWM stories seem to cluster around the extremes of either completely separate or having one person control everything. It would be interesting to do a study to see the distribution. I mean, not interesting enough for me to make any effort, but I'd read it...

I Like Jell-O fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 15, 2017

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

NancyPants posted:

If only there were some shared pool of knowledge and a way of dispersing that knowledge to others.

I guess there's no way of knowing.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. The top responses to her post are in support of her methods.

Saying I have empathy for someone who is dealing with a tough question and reaching a conclusion that may be detrimental to her goals is pretty irrelevant to whatever argument you're trying to make about me. Do we really know the best method? Is there some shared pool of knowledge that has a consensus on best practices that includes this? As far as I can tell the AAP certainly doesn't have a stance. I haven't seen any edit: conclusive studies on it and that's the scary part. There are certainly books that I hope are right that I am reading, but without the rigor of the scientific process, who really knows? It's all conjecture.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 15, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The mom's strategy is completely developmentally inappropriate for a 5 year old

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rurutia posted:

whatever argument you're trying to make about me

drat dude you might want to get that inflamed nerve capped or something.

edit:

cowofwar posted:

The mom's strategy is completely developmentally inappropriate for a 5 year old

Pretty much this. And it's not as if it's some big secret. Any parenting class, book, or basically common sense would indicate the same. There are resources to figure this out, but people think asking reddit or Bogleheads or furrowing their eyebrows while munching their fingernails counts as educating themselves about it.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 15, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm all for teaching financial literacy, but I would think that starts somewhere around what, 12-13?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Pretty much this. And it's not as if it's some big secret. Any parenting class, book, or basically common sense would indicate the same. There are resources to figure this out, but people think asking reddit or Bogleheads or furrowing their eyebrows while munching their fingernails counts as educating themselves about it.

All the mother seems to be teaching is:

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm all for teaching financial literacy, but I would think that starts somewhere around what, 12-13?

Maybe teach basic hands on budgeting at 8 or 9. Financial literacy other than don't spend all your money and save some is probably better at 12-14. Although no doubt someone has a better idea than me.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm sheltered or out of touch but I don't remember ever seeing a 5 year old who carried their own money and bought things. A 7 or 8 year old sure, but they'll only spend it on lollies, or perhaps to get on the bus.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My point is I'm not seeing any actual (peer reviewed, credible, not just a single person giving conjecture) sources being cited here. Appealing to common sense is infuriating to me because I'm sure antivaxxers and trump supporters claim their conclusions are based on common sense. All I was saying was that I can empathize with a mother doing her best, and deciding on a strategy that's totally misguided.

I don't disagree that it seems like a bad idea at that age, but maybe it's not actively harmful and allows the child to acclimate to that sort of thinking easier instead of introducing it at the much less receptive teen ages. Who the gently caress knows. But yeah, I'm actively struggling with developing a strategy for my child so I care about the subject.

Here is a book I've been reading about it if anyone cares: The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062247026/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NVlYyb6VWTFR3

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rurutia posted:

Here is a book I've been reading about it if anyone cares: The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062247026/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NVlYyb6VWTFR3

What research shows is that if you buy books like this to help your child your child is more likely to benefit. That is any book about helping your kids not just ones about money.

I was interested in money and how banks work from about 8 years old. Although that was probably an influence by my grandfather and my own inclination towards anything involving mathematics. I think where that there's a mistake in the sum involved being $100 and the child netting $15. I suspect the lesson will end up focusing the child on how to yield a higher percentage of the $100, although that could positive or negative consequences.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't need to cite a peer reviewed article to say that someone whose best is asking reddit is a loving moron. I'll go on record. If that's her best, engrave it on my body that she's an idiot. I understand being overwhelmed by conflicting info at books and actual classes, but edit:solely yelling at the sky along with people who also yell at the sky is not an attempt at learning how to parent your child.

Has she taken a parenting class? Read a book about child psychology? I can't be bothered to look to see if she has because I'm obviously also a lazy piece of poo poo, but I haven't, you know, taken on the task of sheltering and raising another human being, so there's no tiny person depending on me to pull my stupid head out of my stupid rear end.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 15, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I realize I might need specialized training and education to know what the good ideas are but I feel like I could pretty well knock the $100/$15 trick as being a bad idea.

Back to "my boyfriend is stingy" girl. How did she incur a $500 late rent fee? And how was that his fault? I read it a few times and I still wasn't sure.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I never said you weren't entitled to that opinion or that I have much disagreement with it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

Back to "my boyfriend is stingy" girl. How did she incur a $500 late rent fee? And how was that his fault? I read it a few times and I still wasn't sure.

People got off track on that one. She's an idiot and she hosed up a simple thing she was responsible for. It's not just that late fee but also, if I recall correctly, is the carried balance on the credit cards. She seems to be trying to blame her partner for her mistakes while complaining about him online.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Devian666 posted:

People got off track on that one. She's an idiot and she hosed up a simple thing she was responsible for. It's not just that late fee but also, if I recall correctly, is the carried balance on the credit cards. She seems to be trying to blame her partner for her mistakes while complaining about him online.

The $500 thing was part of Leon's fabrication.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rurutia posted:

The $500 thing was part of Leon's fabrication.

Just get into discussing the fabrication. There's a lack of real BWM.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
This thread and the r/relationships thread in GBS need to stop cannibalizing each other for stories so much. It is getting silly.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Here how about this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zh8f4/my_friend_and_i_were_scammed_out_of_160_for_fake/

Hi Reddit,

This girl just scammed me and my friend out of $160 for fake Coachella tickets. She saw us looking for tickets on a Facebook page and contacted us a few weeks ago. Neither of us knew her, but she seemed trustworthy because she sent us a picture of her and her boyfriend's drivers licenses. She asked us to pay a $160 deposit to hold the tickets, which is standard for expensive concert tickets. She is now ignoring our text messages, Facebook messages, and calls. However, I do have plenty of her personal information:

-I have a picture of her driver’s license so I know her full name and address

-I have her phone number and e-mail address

-I have her father's phone number (thanks to my expert Googling skills)

I know this is actually her and not someone pretending to be her because I wired the money to her using her e-mail address, which consisted of her first and last name. I googled the e-mail address and it was linked to her identity on several pages, which leads me to believe that it's not someone just posing as her. I also added her on Facebook and she was pictures dating years and years back.

If I take this to the police, is this something they can help us with?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe we're running out of people who are BWM

She should also make sure to take out FICA and Medicare so he has nothing left.

If that kid is spending 50% of his pay on rent, he should really consider moving to a less expensive area. That's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

:cawg:

Next thing you know he's going to have to take his goldfish to the e-vet or pick up a candle habit and be in here.

Rurutia posted:

Here how about this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zh8f4/my_friend_and_i_were_scammed_out_of_160_for_fake/

Hi Reddit,

This girl just scammed me and my friend out of $160 for fake Coachella tickets. She saw us looking for tickets on a Facebook page and contacted us a few weeks ago. Neither of us knew her, but she seemed trustworthy because she sent us a picture of her and her boyfriend's drivers licenses. She asked us to pay a $160 deposit to hold the tickets, which is standard for expensive concert tickets. She is now ignoring our text messages, Facebook messages, and calls. However, I do have plenty of her personal information:

-I have a picture of her driver’s license so I know her full name and address

-I have her phone number and e-mail address

-I have her father's phone number (thanks to my expert Googling skills)

I know this is actually her and not someone pretending to be her because I wired the money to her using her e-mail address, which consisted of her first and last name. I googled the e-mail address and it was linked to her identity on several pages, which leads me to believe that it's not someone just posing as her. I also added her on Facebook and she was pictures dating years and years back.

If I take this to the police, is this something they can help us with?

It only costs like $5 to file a police report, right? Why not?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread