Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Heroes of the Storm cuts out the bullshit but it also cuts out 90% of the skill checks that make MOBA play interesting and commits the cardinal sin of tilting the damage vs. damage mitigation balance waaaaaay towards the latter end of the scale. So you go from a toxic game to a boring game, which really just leads to the conclusion "don't play MOBAs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

People were salty as poo poo even back in 2001-2004 range as well. Like did none of you play Counter-Strike ever? People got real loving upset over Natural Selection as well, to the point where they'd seclude themselves in lovely little enclaves (see:voogru servers)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Bolow posted:

People were salty as poo poo even back in 2001-2004 range as well. Like did none of you play Counter-Strike ever? People got real loving upset over Natural Selection as well, to the point where they'd seclude themselves in lovely little enclaves (see:voogru servers)

Not really, cause it was pretty easy to miss them thanks to the server browser. I just played dumb Simpsons themed levels or whatever goofy poo poo I could find

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bolow posted:

On the other hand, the 2fort2furious servers in TF2 were some of the most hilarious chill fun I've ever had online in a video game. :rip:

E: on the other other hand, people who raged on CS surf servers were really dumb and actively looking for an excuse to be pissants.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bolow posted:

Yeah, people projecting that "only after WXYZ year" or "only in genre ABC" there's toxicity in game communities are just not talking straight.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea man we invented tea bagging way back in '98 in AQ2, that always got thing salted.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It was a different flavour of salt. I remember rants about luck and hacks, and not bowing in that stupid Star Wars Jedi game, but that was aimed at the other guys. Okay, maybe the odd guy on a TK spree before he'd be kicked.

I suppose turning on your team was reserved for the likes of Natural Selection and Tribes.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 14, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
When did voicechat in online gaming become commonplace? That probably plays a role in peoples' perceptions of toxicity.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Natural Selection was the first game where I ran into people using voice in Europe. 2002?

Did Battlefield 1942 launch with voice support?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Voicechat because you get to hear people's voices, and matchmaking because it collapsed thousands of little communities* into one common stream.

* Which were probably equally toxic on average, because human nature hasn't changed that much, but represented a much wider range of experiences and would have been consistent one way or the other to the people who actually belonged to them. Also because it means you're always interacting with total strangers instead of building up some vague semblance of a reputation.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2017

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Heroes of the Storm cuts out the bullshit but it also cuts out 90% of the skill checks that make MOBA play interesting and commits the cardinal sin of tilting the damage vs. damage mitigation balance waaaaaay towards the latter end of the scale. So you go from a toxic game to a boring game, which really just leads to the conclusion "don't play MOBAs."

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the Starcraft maps' buttrock!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

When did voicechat in online gaming become commonplace? That probably plays a role in peoples' perceptions of toxicity.

The last quarter of 2001 iirc. It's when Valve released a major update that added voice chat to all Half-Life engine games and mods. Up until then you had to use someones Roger Wilco or Teamspeak server to get verbally abused.

Text chat was always varying degrees of awful. If I had a nickel for every time called me an "awping noob human being", I'd have a shitload of nickels

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bolow posted:

The last quarter of 2001 iirc. It's when Valve released a major update that added voice chat to all Half-Life engine games and mods. Up until then you had to use someones Roger Wilco or Teamspeak server to get verbally abused.

Text chat was always varying degrees of awful. If I had a nickel for every time called me an "awping noob human being", I'd have a shitload of nickels

Yeah but now you have the added bonus of people getting pissy if you aren't in voice chat. At least when it was just text chat you only needed to mute them once.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Why would you block out text chat, if anything it's hilarious :shrug:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bolow posted:

Why would you block out text chat, if anything it's hilarious :shrug:

I don't but I do leave voice chat. I find text easy to ignore, constant talking over voice less so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Transcribed from the end of a comp match I just played:
PotG goes to our Roadhog. "Man, I think Mei should've gotten that for her wall which blocked two ults." "Eh, it's all a team effort, and that's some nice picks in this shot." "Wow, Mercy gets some love too, 50% team damage healed?" "You guys made it easy for me."
It was a total hug-fest. Did I wander into an alternate universe at some point?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Transcribed from the end of a comp match I just played:
PotG goes to our Roadhog. "Man, I think Mei should've gotten that for her wall which blocked two ults." "Eh, it's all a team effort, and that's some nice picks in this shot." "Wow, Mercy gets some love too, 50% team damage healed?" "You guys made it easy for me."
It was a total hug-fest. Did I wander into an alternate universe at some point?
All you need is like one or two people besides you to be cheerful and complimentary to have a really chill time and break the lovely gamer nastiness.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

All you need is like one or two people besides you to be cheerful and complimentary to have a really chill time and break the lovely gamer nastiness.

Yeah. I was really worried for that defensive half after our first half failed to cap Hanamura B. We had some good plays but never really congealed right, and I thought folks were gonna tilt. But they stayed positive and we kept it together on D while they started deteriorating as they didn't manage to punch through. I think Mei was a great pick just for the psych factor; even my bad walls tended to interrupt their momentum, and one time they got through four people sat in a side room staring at my ice block while the rest of my team cleaned up.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah its actually amazing and hilarious how often just being nice will start a chain reaction of other people on the team remembering that they also liked to be nice once.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah its actually amazing and hilarious how often just being nice will start a chain reaction of other people on the team remembering that they also liked to be nice once.

That's why I make it a point to pay attention and compliment the other team members whenever possible to keep morale high. It's a game winning strategy! :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did they lower the rankings again from last season? Placed 1812 after going 6-4 and I'm curious if the hidden MMR is just placing me more comfortably now. The matches definitely felt more balanced than other times I've played comp.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bruceski posted:

Did they lower the rankings again from last season? Placed 1812 after going 6-4 and I'm curious if the hidden MMR is just placing me more comfortably now. The matches definitely felt more balanced than other times I've played comp.

Everyone got a pretty hefty drop in SR.

From what I hear there's less dummies in higher ranks and stompers in lower ranks now, so it's probably helping.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Title says it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_TBDh0HdwY

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kai Tave posted:

Valve got a horrible quality system up in the early 2000s, but it took a while for it to be widely used. I would say Xbox Live really made voice com explode since everyone and their dog had a headset and you couldn't actually communicate in any other way. I remember hearing horrible tales about Xbox Live and being glad that I didn't have to worry about built voice comms in most of the things I was playing at the time. Lasted for a while. I think there was even a Penny Arcade comic/post about it maybe? Early to mid 2000s.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

video is private, really makes you think

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've only gotten a few creeps on Overwatch, nothing horribly sexist yet. There's definitely a lot of girls playing OW, especially at low gold and high silver. I did get carried by one of my dude friends to high plat and the quality of games don't feel much different from high silver (where I've been in most seasons). I even still get cards but not the left most card any more. Plat players still do dumb poo poo like silver players do but aim better.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean, that stays the same all the way to the top. I still walk off cliffs all the loving time.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

I mean, that stays the same all the way to the top. I still walk off cliffs all the loving time.

My friend is a GM in his other account and I saw him fall into a pit as Pharah. Hope that made you feel better.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Idia posted:

I've only gotten a few creeps on Overwatch, nothing horribly sexist yet. There's definitely a lot of girls playing OW, especially at low gold and high silver. I did get carried by one of my dude friends to high plat and the quality of games don't feel much different from high silver (where I've been in most seasons). I even still get cards but not the left most card any more. Plat players still do dumb poo poo like silver players do but aim better.
The position of the card means something? I figured they just put cards wherever, but I rarely stick around long enough to see them any more.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Redundant posted:

The position of the card means something? I figured they just put cards wherever, but I rarely stick around long enough to see them any more.

I think they do. When my friend carried me he always got the left most card. Those cards are given to those who carried the most for their teams from left to right.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pretty sure the order of cards is arbitrary

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

pretty sure the order of cards is arbitrary

I don't think so.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Idia posted:

I don't think so.
you're wrong.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Idia posted:

I don't think so.

I got 4 gold medals and my card was third in a winning game last night so you are wrong. I was the only person on my team to get a card.

The 4th medal was for gold healing.

As soldier. :supaburn:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is absolutely no metric by which you or anyone outside of the OW team could possibly prove it, so I'm going with "Probably totally arbitrary", and those cards are 100% randomized with weird priorities placed on dumb poo poo, which is why the garbage fire Mei will always get an "Enemies Frozen" card no matter how badly they did.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Idia posted:

I don't think so.

I had an "MVP: 86% time on fire" card playing some QP Ana and I was like the 3rd card. Pretty sure they're random.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I got a card, as Dva, for nearly 50 mechs destroyed. If some of them don't even represent good play, why order them?

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well seeing a very good player consistently getting the left most card in every match I've been with him does tell me otherwise. This is back to back, 20 games in a row. I remember Blinky mentioning it a while back too. There's a high probability that it's not arbitrary.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it's almost like fire, cards and medals are totally meaningless fluff used to just make the player feel good about their own contributions

*15 fan the hammer kills, 16 eliminations*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Idia posted:

Well seeing a very good player consistently getting the left most card in every match I've been with him does tell me otherwise. This is back to back, 20 games in a row. I remember Blinky mentioning it a while back too. There's a high probability that it's not arbitrary.

The only conclusion you could reasonably draw from this is that leftmost cards are people you are queued with though? If this were a thing, you'd know it because Silver & bronze players would scream & hoot when they got that sick left card, baby oh yeah!

(20 games out of all of Overwatch is actually anecdotal evidence, and definitely not 'high probability' by any metric)