Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Why wouldn't you want the bottom to cook, that sounds terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

In regular ovens, the bottom will cook much faster than the toppings. You slide the steel under the pizza when the bottom is done (to avoid it being overcooked and crunchy) so the toppings can continue to cook. You can also use it to slightly overcook the top to get that wood-fired artisanal bullshit look at the top.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hi thread, what are the goon recommendations for mattresses?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ikea Sultan is good enough.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

In regular ovens, the bottom will cook much faster than the toppings. You slide the steel under the pizza when the bottom is done (to avoid it being overcooked and crunchy) so the toppings can continue to cook. You can also use it to slightly overcook the top to get that wood-fired artisanal bullshit look at the top.

Wouldn't you just switch to broiler to finish off the top? I thought about getting a pizza stone but I heard it's a bitch to clean and needs an hour of preheating (running the oven for a full hour to heat up a stone sounds crazy to me).

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

how often do you really make pizzas?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Lacey posted:

Wouldn't you just switch to broiler to finish off the top? I thought about getting a pizza stone but I heard it's a bitch to clean and needs an hour of preheating (running the oven for a full hour to heat up a stone sounds crazy to me).

You need to pre heat it for about 30 minutes to make sure the stone doesn't crack. Cleaning isn't too bad with a brush, they're basically going to have a patina after a few uses. They're only a bitch to clean if you want them to look new for some reason.

You can use a broiler to finish the top, but the stone will still be hot and continue to cook the bottom. The screen completely stops the bottom from cooking. Definitely not a necessity, but a nice thing to have if you care about such things.

I do not. I am allergic to dairy anyway.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ikea Sultan is good enough.

Oooh, these look reasonably priced with decent reviews.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also, not for sale anymore as of 2016.

I have a mid-range mattress of their new lineup with springs topped with a layer of space foam and it's a lot better than the all latex and all space foam mattresses I had before.

But you really have got to go out there and try a couple of types yourself. It's a really personal thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Well I got it for free so it was very reasonably priced. I have to say that for a big fat guy I've never had any back trouble sleeping on one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I bought a Leesa recently and really like it

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Ikea's mattresses are poo poo. Do not buy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also, not for sale anymore as of 2016.

I have a mid-range mattress of their new lineup with springs topped with a layer of space foam and it's a lot better than the all latex and all space foam mattresses I had before.

But you really have got to go out there and try a couple of types yourself. It's a really personal thing.

Yeah mine is okay too. Nothing to write home about, but its not terrible and it was relatively cheap. I'd love to upgrade to a Leesa or Casper or something, but poo poo gets expensive fast. See what your budget is, but if you're looking to avoid sleeping on the floor the ikea models will get the job done and not ruin your back.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I bought a mattress from Casper two years ago and I really like it. Good prices too.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I bought a Costco memory foam mattress 10 years ago and it's still awesome. I really love memory foam mattresses and have no issues with overheating, etc. and could easily transport it to my house using a Honda Civic.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
We have a Purple mattress and while it's nice, I wouldn't buy another. The support layer is too thin, I'm a side sleeper. My wife loves it but she sleeps on her back. We had purchased some no name twin size coil mattress for our spare bedroom. It sleeps like a lumpy rock- went to Costco and got their king size 3in cooling gel topper, folded it over double on the twin and it's honestly the most amazing bed. Like being lowered into the cold, dead earth.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Glottis posted:

I bought a Costco memory foam mattress 10 years ago and it's still awesome. I really love memory foam mattresses and have no issues with overheating, etc. and could easily transport it to my house using a Honda Civic.

I was worried they'd be a gimmick, or get flimsy or something after a while. But after a decade or more of lower back pain nearly eliminated in a couple months after buying a foam mattress, I can't help but evangelize for them now. I got the Sleep Innovations brand, which I think is on the 'bargain' side of things - but it's still the best mattress I've owned/used.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

We have a Purple mattress and while it's nice, I wouldn't buy another. The support layer is too thin, I'm a side sleeper. My wife loves it but she sleeps on her back. We had purchased some no name twin size coil mattress for our spare bedroom. It sleeps like a lumpy rock- went to Costco and got their king size 3in cooling gel topper, folded it over double on the twin and it's honestly the most amazing bed. Like being lowered into the cold, dead earth.

I have two Purple pillows and after some adjustment, I really like them. Our old latex pillows were fine but did overheat.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Slimy Hog posted:

I bought a Leesa recently and really like it

Same

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
You'll laugh but I bought a Zinus 12" mattress (and frame) from Amazon and I couldn't be more pleased. It sleeps just fine, and I enjoyed using those extra thousands of dollars on other goods and services. That said, my wife and I are normal sized adults so I don't know how this holds up if you're "big."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've slept on a generic spring mattress from BJ's for the last 3 years and I feel terrible

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I bought a 14" Foam mattress from Sam's Club, don't remember the name brand but it has been great. I think if you go with anything besides an old style spring mattress you will like it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4ON90/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchased this mattress in queen size 10" two years ago, it still feels brand new and sleeps better than any mattress I've ever tried. $200 is unbeatable too.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Trastion posted:

I bought a 14" Foam mattress from Sam's Club, don't remember the name brand but it has been great. I think if you go with anything besides an old style spring mattress you will like it.

100% this, my spouse and I bought a foam/latex pillow top mattress from hh gregg six or seven years ago, and it's just been fantastic. Just look for something with high density foam and some sort of cooling layer on top. I've heard better things about Leesa over Casper, apparently the side supports on casper aren't great if you tend to sleep near the edges.

E: We recently bought an ikea pocket spring foam mattress for our guest bedroom, and It's been nice to sleep on. Not quite as nice as the (I want to say serta?) one we have in our bedroom, but definitely better than the spring one I grew up with and occasionally use when I visit my parents.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Mar 14, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My waffle maker broke in air travel a couple months ago so I decided to go overboard and buy a ridiculous one to replace it.

Breville Smart Waffle Pro.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've slept on a generic spring mattress from BJ's for the last 3 years and I feel terrible

It shouldn't take you three years of blowjobs to save up for a single mattress

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
They may not be very good BJs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'll have you know I made $300 and 5 cents suckin' dicks yesterday.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'll have you know I made $300 and 5 cents suckin' dicks yesterday.

Who the hell gave you 5 cents??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

evobatman posted:

Who the hell gave you 5 cents??

THEY ALL DID

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

rockcity posted:

My waffle maker broke in air travel a couple months ago so I decided to go overboard and buy a ridiculous one to replace it.

I am pretty dedicated to eating well on any trips I take, but even I wouldn't take my own waffle maker with me while traveling.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

rockcity posted:

So what does this thing do that a normal waffle maker doesn't? I'll admit I'm intrigued

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jmcrofts posted:

So what does this thing do that a normal waffle maker doesn't? I'll admit I'm intrigued

Holds up better to rough TSA handling. The carry bar is also reinforced so you don't have to worry about it snagging while you hustle to your gate.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

It has an app.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

I am pretty dedicated to eating well on any trips I take, but even I wouldn't take my own waffle maker with me while traveling.

The waffle OP raises so many questions. :confused:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
If you're not making your waffles in a sous-vide I don't know what to tell you.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I got the king size Origins Pocket 1500 from these guys about 6 months ago and it's fantastic. I doubt they deliver outside the UK, but their site is worth a look just for the ridiculous amount of information about mattress construction.

Alternatively, go the whole hog and drop £10k on a mattress from the Queen's bed maker. 26,000 titanium springs bitches!

Randyslawterhouse has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Mar 14, 2017

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fire Safety Doug posted:

If you're not making your waffles in a sous-vide I don't know what to tell you.

Pour-over waffles or bust

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I cold brew my waffles and put the mix through an aluminum mesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wait someone explain to me here, this goon travels so much (with their waffle iron) that they needed a high end one that would better handle rough TSA agents?

So MANY QUESTIONS

I bought a fancy lamp