Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Don't those particular companies tend to say generally good things about everything? Like, the lowest review they'll give something is a 7/10?

I'm pretty sure I saw a panel from one of those that said the game had a lot of bugs and crashed a lot more than they'd like.

Didn't IGN score DA2 at 9/10 or something, and have one of their writers literally voice herself in mass effect 3?

They'd score it highly, even if it was literally the Bioware dev team making GBS threads into a box for 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think they've avoided that with Tevinter and the Qunari so far in Dragon Age.

Next game is set in Tevinter so how long do you think that's gonna last. They literally cannot resist the urge to demystify things.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
MAC WALTERS: Guys, new galaxy, new scenarios. What kind of problems should the player run into in the Andromeda Galaxy?

Silence. Day turns to night turns to day turns to night. The weekend passes, as do the seasons.

INCREDIBLY BIOWARE WRITER: I'm at a loss. It's too bad we solved the Genophage.

MAC WALTERS: ...or did we?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Didn't IGN score DA2 at 9/10 or something, and have one of their writers literally voice herself in mass effect 3?

They'd score it highly, even if it was literally the Bioware dev team making GBS threads into a box for 8 hours.

At least BioWare could actually spin that as high art since it'd be their comment on what producing a game feels like from the dev point of view.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Next game is set in Tevinter so how long do you think that's gonna last. They literally cannot resist the urge to demystify things.

It's lasted 3 games and numerous spinoffs spanning almost a decade, and you're arguing it's definitely going to happen in a game that doesn't even officially exist yet.

Inquisition might have grounded some of the lore for the series but it did it in fairly interesting ways; I thought it was one of the stronger aspects of the game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milky Moor posted:

MAC WALTERS: Guys, new galaxy, new scenarios. What kind of problems should the player run into in the Andromeda Galaxy?

Silence. Day turns to night turns to day turns to night. The weekend passes, as do the seasons.

INCREDIBLY BIOWARE WRITER: I'm at a loss. It's too bad we solved the Genophage.

MAC WALTERS: ...or did we?

They solved it in the Milky Way after the Andromeda mission left. Same with the Geth and Quarians. In fact, all of the problems that existed in the Milky Way still exist as far as the Andromeda guys are concerned.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That seems like a fair review to me. DA:2 was the best DA:2 there is.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shameful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's lasted 3 games and numerous spinoffs spanning almost a decade, and you're arguing it's definitely going to happen in a game that doesn't even officially exist yet.

Inquisition might have grounded some of the lore for the series but it did it in fairly interesting ways; I thought it was one of the stronger aspects of the game.

To be clear, you genuinely believe the game set in Tevinter who's antagonist is literally Fen'Harel isn't going to blow the lid off every ancient Tevinter mystery it can? ...Did you actually play Inquisition and its DLC?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"it's a good game! it's a good game!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

To be clear, you genuinely believe the game set in Tevinter who's antagonist is literally Fen'Harel isn't going to blow the lid off every ancient Tevinter mystery it can? ...Did you actually play Inquisition and its DLC?

The problem with Playing DAInq DLC is firstly having to repartially play through the main game if you got it before the dlc was released.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't trust any review except Drews Reviews. Here's a review so you can get a feel for his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UXxdRG13M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYespfZgeWQ

This is the only reviewer that I trust

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

real talk this is the character he thought sounded best (director tann)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo14cfpfp2E

That's the serial killer from Reno 911

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

They had a whole game about being the Herald of Andraste while still keeping the true nature of the Maker open for debate, so yeah, I think they can.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352471

newman seems to like it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

The problem with Playing DAInq DLC is firstly having to repartially play through the main game if you got it before the dlc was released.

At least Trespasser made changes to the skill trees.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

drat you Poe's Law

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh dear, the same four or so posters who haven't said anything positive about the game in about three months continue to shout that it'll be a bad game. I guess I'll cancel my pre-order now. :ohdear:

Combat does seem cool from what these vids show, despite some...sigh...really poor playing. Everyone seems to think that the only way to deal with enemy shields is to just...shoot them with your gun, despite the fact that Liam (who's been in every squad so far) apparently has Overload. That one Video Game Sophistry guy who's doing in-depth videos looks to be playing a Sentinel, but I've yet to see him use a single power and, from what I can tell, he seems to have gone through the entire first mission without ever equipping a second power. :psyduck:

This'll probably be the first ME game where my first playthrough will be on hard. No more baby mode for babies!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

This'll probably be the first ME game where my first playthrough will be on hard. No more baby mode for babies!

Hard is probably the best for games like this. Reviving squad with powers and poo poo makes it pretty simple on normal, in my opinion. I played all the MEs on INsanity on a replay. It was hard, but I liked the combat. Hard or Veteran is deffo the way to go difficulty-wise.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
The game will probably be okay. It was pretty much a guaranteed buy for me because I really enjoyed the original ME games. The facial animations are awful but I don't really feel like that is going to be something that has much bearing on whether or not the game is fun. And the writing will be bad, as it is in 99.9 percent of all video games ever made. So what?

I wish I could say it is weird how many people are weirdly rooting for it to fail in this thread, but I guess that happens with every big game.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Have they said anything about the multiplayer functionality during the 10 hour trial?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Relentless posted:

Have they said anything about the multiplayer functionality during the 10 hour trial?

It's there and playable. So if you finish your stint in the single player before your time is up you can continue it in MP.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the overarching story may be okay but the way the first few hours are plotted out is pretty distracting. you get to your first planet after 600 years of travel. you crash. you shoot some rock monsters. you fix the atmosphere. but the planet is unviable (??). your dad dies. you become the chosen one. you go to the citadel replacement. you then go to another planet that i guess is more viable but not (??). this is not a very graceful way to set up some basic characters, themes, dramatic trajectories.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still think it's funny how the intergalactic spaceship runs into an obstacle and scrapes around it as if they weren't looking out the front and were going about 10 miles per hour.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's there and playable. So if you finish your stint in the single player before your time is up you can continue it in MP.

Or just play multiplayer and save SP for when I have more time to sink into it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn also has atrocious lip synching and pretty bad facial animation, but at the same time it looks a ton better than Andromeda in a straight-up graphics comparison.

After playing Horizon all day in between looking at streams of this... the facial animations are a masterpiece compared to Andromeda. I just can't get over how they look noticeably worse than Inquisition's, which I didn't even think was that bad.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Where do I recognise Peebee's voice actress from?

E: I looked it up. It's from Buttfuckeer.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 15, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want this game

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

tooterfish posted:

Game doesn't come out here until the 23rd... I wonder if I can use you all as guinea pigs and wait to pre-order on the 22nd?

Send me your money, I'll order you an early copy.

BrianWilly posted:

Combat does seem cool from what these vids show, despite some...sigh...really poor playing. Everyone seems to think that the only way to deal with enemy shields is to just...shoot them with your gun, despite the fact that Liam (who's been in every squad so far) apparently has Overload.

You can't trigger companion powers, so that's on the incompetent Bioware AI, not the incompetent player.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Zane posted:

the overarching story may be okay but the way the first few hours are plotted out is pretty distracting. you get to your first planet after 600 years of travel. you crash. you shoot some rock monsters. you fix the atmosphere. but the planet is unviable (??). your dad dies. you become the chosen one. you go to the citadel replacement. you then go to another planet that i guess is more viable but not (??). this is not a very graceful way to set up some basic characters, themes, dramatic trajectories.

You might want to, y'know, see most of these scenes in their entirety before you go on about how graceless the introduction is.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

After playing Horizon all day in between looking at streams of this... the facial animations are a masterpiece compared to Andromeda. I just can't get over how they look noticeably worse than Inquisition's, which I didn't even think was that bad.

They share a similar issue in that nothing above the nose animates while talking. HZD has better looking eyes, but holy god the lip synching is the absolute worst. Only Sylens looks good and I think that's because they mo-capped Lance Reddick for the part. The matriarchs, Aloy and the king dude are all hilariously bad. Andromeda has better lip synching but at the cost of making the characters look even more ridiculous.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

epenthesis posted:

You might want to, y'know, see most of these scenes in their entirety before you go on about how graceless the introduction is.

I watched like two full streams of Andromeda today from Gamespot and IGN, and he's not wrong. The opening just feels very rote and aimless.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am starting to worry this isn't going to be a good game should I get Star Ocean instead???

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I watched like two full streams of Andromeda today from Gamespot and IGN, and he's not wrong. The opening just feels very rote and aimless.

No but have you really seeeeen them???

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am starting to worry this isn't going to be a good game should I get Star Ocean instead???

This is gonna be a Good Game

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

should I get Star Ocean instead???

Don't say that even in fun.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There has never been a good star ocean game

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh, oh no. I just watched the meeting Peebee video and they're reusing the Ryder is the only person that can interact with this ancient tech contrivance from ME1. The more I watch the more I get this sinking feeling that the plot in this is going to be a half arsed patchwork of ideas from the other games.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Send me your money, I'll order you an early copy.
That's kinda the exact opposite of the idea I had there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Relentless posted:

Or just play multiplayer and save SP for when I have more time to sink into it.

Yes, that's an option too that I'm sure many people will do instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

This is gonna be a Good Game

I am going to believe you without any real reason to do so!