Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

It was loving grand. That, plus all the hats on the ice for an away player's hat trick. :discourse::kiss:

I was thinking maybe the hate had started to die down a bit, but based on all the booing when they announced his goals, nope, not yet.

quote:

also secondary trip report: duuuuude rogers arena is easily the coldest loving arena I've ever sat in. That beat out both TD Garden and The Joe in mid February in negative-degree temperatures and easily any of the other pro stadiums I've been in. brr.

The only experience I have with NHL arenas is Rogers, but I've been about five times now and never had a problem with the temperature. Pretty sure I've been colder in ShoWare for TBirds games before. Really nice building at any rate, I didn't realize what a dump the Key is until I made a trip up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Budaj got a new mask and it owns

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/841711781223444481

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Chows posted:

The only experience I have with NHL arenas is Rogers, but I've been about five times now and never had a problem with the temperature. Pretty sure I've been colder in ShoWare for TBirds games before. Really nice building at any rate, I didn't realize what a dump the Key is until I made a trip up there.

The Key is a depressing, loud concrete slab of boring.

I kinda want that place nuked.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ho-Sang to Tavares has me rock hard busting through my jorts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

hifi posted:

Baseball can be boring but it's your fault if you pick the team that has rules against facial hair and long hair. Meanwhile in hockey everyone is canadian with a nickname that's just their last name with "er" or "y" tacked on the end

The Canucks game had a hilarious intro where it was basically this for all the guys on the roster

Danny, Matty, Hank

There was like one guy who had a nickname that wasn't Firstnamey

yellowcar posted:

Cannot confirm if Duke has a big bushy mustache just like his av. 4/5

Also, you look like a young Bob McKenzie

He has a proper beard

Ginette Reno posted:

From my experiences playing and coaching youth hockey I can confirm that video someone posted earlier of parents fighting in the stands and screaming is pretty much spot on for hockey parents. People are fuckin nuts.

There was a recent news report about parents of 11 and 12 year olds from my son's association who screamed at a 14 year old ref because they didn't like a call

Chows posted:

I went to the game last night it was fun they still really don't like Marchand there ok thanks for reading :)

His hat trick probably had something to do with it

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Ho-Sang has been better than I ever hoped he could be in these first few games, really establishing himself as a guy who can be a top 6 player for a long time.

I need more drop passes in my life and Ho-Sang is here to deliver

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kalenn Istarion posted:

His hat trick probably had something to do with it

Yeah but they boo'd the poo poo out of him when they announced his first goal, too.

The nucks fan next to me up in the nosebleeds was just laughing and shaking his head during the hat toss in a very :ughh:-like fashion. Also, I didn't even notice until later it was a natural hatty at that - for some reason (beer) I thought he had his first goal in the 2nd period.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Alexei Emelin is bar none the worst player in the NHL

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
:siren: The Caps won a game! :siren:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Vegas better be taking Emelin in that loving draft.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps are back baby!

Ovi's back baby!

Still gonna lose round 2 baby!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Chows posted:

The only experience I have with NHL arenas is Rogers

Reminder that there are three 'Rogers', two in the NHL now, and if I have to learn the difference then so does everyone else. It sucks.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah but they boo'd the poo poo out of him when they announced his first goal, too.

The nucks fan next to me up in the nosebleeds was just laughing and shaking his head during the hat toss in a very :ughh:-like fashion. Also, I didn't even notice until later it was a natural hatty at that - for some reason (beer) I thought he had his first goal in the 2nd period.

Krejci scored between Brad's 2nd and 3rd

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Because of the mad hype Matthews has gotten by playing in the Toronto market?

Media types like Jeff O'Neil hyping him as the most valuable player in the league, Mackenzie and LeBrun both claiming Matthews is a top 20 NHL player today and Friedman saying that he hoped Laine didnt win the Rocket cause it would make the choice for the Calder "impossible". That last one was really convinced me that Laine has no chance at the Calder. A rookie winning the Rocket should not make the Calder a hard choice. It should make it a really loving easy one actually.

Why do you think the NHL writers are going to pick anyone other than Matthews?
The history of the award has been voters going almost entirely for the leading scorer, or otherwise a goalie/D. Even the years where a forward didnt win it featured the forwards separated pretty clearly by their point finishes. The last exception was Drury in 1999, who was 4 points behind Hejduk but had more goals and was seen as a more complete player. Very few other cases of that happening in history, most of which are pretty obviously justified. There's also far more votes than just the TSN guys and a quick look at recent articles (i.e. after Matthews' current mini-slump) show Laine ahead. I don't know when those guys said those things, but it was less han 2 weeks ago that Matthews had a scoring lead, which is still a very binary thing in a lot of people's minds. Laine himself has been talked about endlessly in the hockey media and has had a lot of crazy stuff said about him as well.

Toronto players haven't benefited in voting terms in any meaningful way. The only Maple Leaf player who has won a real award for them since expansion was Gilmour winning the Selke in 93.

To me it's more like when people were worried about Crosby stealing Calder from Ovechkin (when Crosby himself had one of the very best rookie seasons of all time) because of media hype and Ovechkin ended up winning 124 of 129 first place votes. Or people saying the same thing about McDavid winning over Panarin/Gost last year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

people who follow NCAA hockey & prospects: who are the current NHL comps for a kid like this?

dude was nothing special before he exploded his senior year which is not an uncommon occurrence. At least this guy is 22 compared to the usual 24 for this type of breakout.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Bolts win and pass the Leafs for a tie of the 2nd wild card spot with the Islanders. It'd be pretty great if the Bolts made it and the Kings and Leafs, who picked up rentals from the Bolts, didn't.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Kilza posted:

Bolts win and pass the Leafs for a tie of the 2nd wild card spot with the Islanders. It'd be pretty great if the Bolts made it and the Kings and Leafs, who picked up rentals from the Bolts, didn't.

Also the flyers.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, this is why I thought the Leafs shouldn't have been buyers at the deadline. Boyle's been good though!

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Kilza posted:

The trick is to build for the future and bullshit your way into the playoffs somehow.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Rotten Cookies posted:

That's a weird song name.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

aejix posted:

But without them, we'd never have been blessed with this:

https://youtu.be/EN2_PSs2Pjc

Every time I watch it I like something else - the goalie sticking with the play til the whistle, whatever the gently caress "GET THE WHEELS ON THE BUS(?)" means, the mortified lady with blonde hair walking back to her seat going "oh god not this bullshit again". A perfect microcosm of junior hockey stereotypes

By far the best bit. Fuckin Paul

That's Minor girls hockey, not junior

Either way it's retarded

CBJSprague24 posted:

You're a saint for wanting to do that in the face of a generation of MY PERFECT LITTLE ANNNNGEEEEEEEEEL parents.

I was expecting this when I started coaching my son's team this year and maybe I got lucky but all the parents were pretty chill. I also laid down the law on lovely behaviour and said I'd personally eject anyone who yelled at a player or ref so maybe that set the tone vOv

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure other sports are like this too but yeah hockey parents are ridiculous.

The worst though is when you get those youth hockey coaches that teach their teams to play dirty. I hope there's less of that now but that poo poo was common as gently caress when I was growing up and is the type of behavior that inevitably inflames the parents too.

Of all the games I reffed this season (175 or so?) only one team was actively running around decking guys that wasn't in juvey. It's way less prominent than when I reffed 15 years ago.

Duke Chin posted:

Some mysteries have to remain hidden to the world.

It was loving grand. That, plus all the hats on the ice for an away player's hat trick. :discourse::kiss:

also secondary trip report: duuuuude rogers arena is easily the coldest loving arena I've ever sat in. That beat out both TD Garden and The Joe in mid February in negative-degree temperatures and easily any of the other pro stadiums I've been in. brr.

It was built assuming Vancouver wasn't going to see sub 10C temperatures so the upper deck gets hella cold when it's cold outside.

I'm pretty sure there were more Boston fans in the crowd than real Canuck fans

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chows posted:

There's 2 kinds of natural hat tricks. All in one period is another people use.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anisimov died, and the Blackhawks shot with him. RIP, you passed sometimes to scoring dudes.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/841838124254806020

Good!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Anisimov died, and the Blackhawks shot with him. RIP, you passed sometimes to scoring dudes.

I was at work and missed the game, what happened? :ohdear:

e:
https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/841829112813629440

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 15, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I was at work and missed the game, what happened? :ohdear:

Nothing dirty, looked like his left knee or maybe ankle got tweaked in routine board contact. They had to scrape him up off the ice and he was putting zero weight on it though.

I'm more concerned about Crawford taking a Weber clapper off his cage. Knocked him on his rear end.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bah gawd that's some Bruins'esque levels of defense right there. :monocle:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It was built assuming Vancouver wasn't going to see sub 10C temperatures so the upper deck gets hella cold when it's cold outside.

Well now I have firsthand experience the nosebleeds get chilly af. I honestly should have kicked in the cash for lower level especially with ticket prices being as down as they are. Ahh well.

Chows posted:

I'm in the 3-in-the-same-period not 3-in-a-row camp.

Potato Pohtahtoe.

Kale
May 14, 2010

gently caress Emelin man. If he's not playing maybe we make it to OT even against a very good team.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I honestly don't understand why the entire hockey community unites behind Jim Nill. "Give him another chance!"

He's managed to destroy the #1 team in the conference with a series of awful decisions in one offseason, a transition that would take most incompetent general managers several years of bad decisions.

loving get out, take your bullshit "Detroit method" back to Michigan.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Duke Chin posted:

bah gawd that's some Bruins'esque levels of defense right there. :monocle:

I was going to make a Leafsian defense comment but you beat me to it with the Bruins joke.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Starsfan posted:

I honestly don't understand why the entire hockey community unites behind Jim Nill. "Give him another chance!"

He's managed to destroy the #1 team in the conference with a series of awful decisions in one offseason, a transition that would take most incompetent general managers several years of bad decisions.

loving get out, take your bullshit "Detroit method" back to Michigan.

I think he gets one coach but I can hear every argument that the evaluation between last season and this one is a fireable offense. I don't want it, but I wouldn't dislike it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

have we ever seen a coach pull the goalie in a tie game to play spoiler? i think we have for ROWs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I missed the 3rd period of the Leafs game and only now noticed that Rielly managed to hit -25 on the season while Gardiner is +25. Plus/minus is dumb and all but that's something. And to think Gardiner is the one who's prone to brain farts...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

eXXon posted:

I missed the 3rd period of the Leafs game and only now noticed that Rielly managed to hit -25 on the season while Gardiner is +25. Plus/minus is dumb and all but that's something. And to think Gardiner is the one who's prone to brain farts...

Isn't it also possible that Rielly is the one who has to defend far more behind such 2-way playing luminaries as Mitch Marner, William Nylander and Auston Matthews

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Schlesische posted:

Isn't it also possible that Rielly is the one who has to defend far more behind such 2-way playing luminaries as Mitch Marner, William Nylander and Auston Matthews

Gardiner gets more favourable usage, yes, but it's not extreme enough to warrant a 50-goal swing. I meant mostly that it's ironic that that the guy accused of having no hockey sense and single-handedly causing goals against is rocking the barely-above-2 5v5 GA/60. Possession wise they're both about the same (50% for Rielly and 52.5% for Gardiner) considering usage.

Also Rielly gets most of his matchup minutes with Kadri. Meanwhile, Rielly's GA/60 is a splendiferous 4.79 with veteran two-way leader Tyler Bozak.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Rielly's always given up a ton of shots and goals against, it's what fuels the arguments about Gardiner actually being the Leafs best defender amongst stat people. It's possible to be known for being an occasional bonehead and come out pretty well on aggregate, meanwhile there's tiny but growing despair for Rielly ever playing consistently decent defence.

The reasons Rielly gets the benefit of the doubt are a) he didn't spend a lot of time with Carlyle actively scapegoating him and similarly b) Jake has played a few more years on even worse teams. If Rielly is still playing this way two years from now the knives will come out.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Q said it wasn't as serious as initially thought. Day to day for now. He can sit out for the rest of the regular season, IMO.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Emetic Hustler posted:

Q said it wasn't as serious as initially thought. Day to day for now. He can sit out for the rest of the regular season, IMO.

Yeah, give him as much time as he needs. Schmaltz has looked like a decent fit with the second line, even if he will lose just about every draw he takes. They could just recall Hinostroza to play with Kero and Hinostroza in the third scoring line until he's back. Those three looked pretty good together before Hinostroza got sent down.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DuhSal posted:

I was going to make a Leafsian defense comment but you beat me to it with the Bruins joke.

It's funny because the leafs are even worse :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Emelin drifting towards the puck carrier lol.

• Locked thread