Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Horizon looks amazing on a normal PS4, but I haven't put that much time into it.

Nier is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
do you want to play a solid arpg or some weeb sh*t

they're both pretty solid games, i would hate to choose between the two

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 15, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Whats Horizon gameplay like? I tend to get really bored with full on open world stuff. Never played a GTA more than a few hours, even MGS5 lost a lot of luster after the first 15 hours because I felt like I was just running around collecting mans for my base.

What's Nier combat like? I love ARPGs and such.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

have you played bayonetta or devil may cry

it's kinda like that (platinum very obviously made the game, it's very telling) only it's also a bullet hell. it changes things up a lot tho so expect a lot of perspective shifts and changes to what you're actually doing during fights. you can also make the game more of a character action game with the plug in system since a bunch of cool moves are things you can equip on yourself

e: there's a demo that you can try to see how the combat works. the actual game is a lot more open than that tho; you basically play the tutorial level in the demo

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Never played those, but I played all of the Souls games and recently Nioh.

edit: Oh nice, a demo. I should have checked first, but its been so long since Ive actually seen good games put out demos. Ill try it out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's worth noting that Nier is pretty forgiving in terms of difficulty. The enemies hit hard but you can equip auto-heal items and the dodge window is extremely wide.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they aren't like that at all. try the demo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna stop gushing over Nier after this, but I just got Ending B and it made me so excited to play more Nier. It's crazy that I'm thinking about my game of the year this early and before Persona comes out but Nier is easily the best game I've played yet this year.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the c path is way better than a or b imo, so you still have even better stuff ahead of you

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Nier Automata is a seriously good game, and is the only game since Nier to come close to being as good as Nier was

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Horizon runs at a capped 30 FPS right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

the c path is way better than a or b imo, so you still have even better stuff ahead of you

Yeah I've been told that, it's just that the "Preview" was so different from my expectations that it blew my mind

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I'm so happy to see other people who understand how good Nier is. I'm on route B right now and I can't wait to see what else this game does.

Especially since I just did a side quest involving one of the cameo characters from original Nier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

considering the drakengard/nier lps, I'd say sa has had a pretty solid appreciation for yoko taro's brand of crazy for a long time

vkeios
May 7, 2007

True but they're usually in weird threads that I don't ever look at.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Whats Horizon gameplay like? I tend to get really bored with full on open world stuff.

Like Witcher 3/MGS5 but not garbage.

:bigtran:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Co-op games go.

Anything from rocket league to uhh idk some other part of the coop spectrum

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I'm thinking about picking up either Nier or Horizon as a birthday present for myself. I don't have a PS4 Pro so Horizon won't look spectacular for me, and I never played the first Nier (But played Drakengard back in the day). Which would you guys recommend?

Haven't played Horizon so I won't comment on it.

Nier is an incredible and unique experience, but it is also a commitment. If you don't get at least 3 of the 5 main endings you are going to be left wondering what the gently caress everyone is on about. My final playtime was about 53 hours. I imagine if you spent a lot less time than I loving about you could probably get all 5 endings in 30. If you only get the first and second endings you are going to be unsatisfied almost assuredly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

Here's a quick recap of what you need to know leading into Nier: Automata:

• Magic is introduced into the world. Everyone dies.
  • The hero from Nier inadvertantly destroys a system intent on reviving humanity after magic disease runs its course. Everyone dies.
  • Aliens invade using robots. Everyone dies.
  • Humans escape to the moon, create androids to fight alien robots on Earth. Everyone dies.
  • 14 Machine Wars and 10,000 years later, 2Butt decides enough is enough and it's time to fight for the glory of mankind. Events of Nier: Automata. Everyone dies.

Honestly, even though I read a lot of Drakenier lore prior to Automata, the only thing I needed to know going into Automata was Androids were used to shepard a project that was meant to save humans from a "plague," which went poorly, then aliens attacked and the androids were used to defend humanity. The game even recaps that much for you in text form if you're willing to find and read it.

Deeper knowledge lets you catch cool things like locations from previous games or nods to the Cult of the Watchers, but the core story will still resonate with you either way. It's mostly about the relationship between two characters in the end, with the larger conflict echoing that relationship in surprising ways.

I'm thinking about picking up either Nier or Horizon as a birthday present for myself. I don't have a PS4 Pro so Horizon won't look spectacular for me, and I never played the first Nier (But played Drakengard back in the day). Which would you guys recommend?

Which do you prefer? Gameplay first with well designed and balanced mechanics and well paced encounters, or a unique story that uses game langauge in innovative ways? If the former, Horizon. If the later, Nier.

Horizon still looks (and runs) spectacular on a standard PS4 and I think it will appeal to the broader audience. Those who do connect with Nier will cherish it though.

Whats Horizon gameplay like? I tend to get really bored with full on open world stuff. Never played a GTA more than a few hours, even MGS5 lost a lot of luster after the first 15 hours because I felt like I was just running around collecting mans for my base.

Horizon's combat is a pretty deep mix of The Witcher's monster fights, where you need to exploit weaknesses and bait behavior, with Tomb Raider's bow mechanics. Its open world is well paced, and you explore it in a well paced forking progression. I hate open world games, but I liked Horizon's open world.

Nier's combat is like DMC or previous platinum games, but the balance is a little weird due to a variety of things. If you liked playing those games on easier difficulties, you'll like Nier. If you played them on Hard, or if you like "challenging but fair" games in general, you'll have the same frustrations I did. There's also a fair amount of fetch quests.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horizon is an open world game in the sense that, there is a game world that is freakin' huge and fun to explore and there are quests, but not an open world game in the sense that there are a ton of awful collectibles and every sidequest feels like an actual fleshed out thing and not just "bring me 4 goat skins". In fact so far I have found exactly one "kill thing and bring me proof" quest and you'll finish it without meaning to because you'll eventually kill the thing anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I started Nier 2 today and managed to die to the first boss which meant I had to replay the entire first section for a THIRD time (since that's what the demo was too). I was briefly pissed but that ended up being good practice and third time through I clowned all over everything. Finally time for some new stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Which do you prefer? Gameplay first with well designed and balanced mechanics and well paced encounters, or a unique story that uses game langauge in innovative ways? If the former, Horizon. If the later, Nier.

the sidequests in nier aren't great but I really think you're underselling the gameplay in that game. it's extremely good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of Nier 2 now that I'm continuing and have inspected the first shop... is there a reason that it's offering to sell me duplicates of chips I already have? Is there any reason I would ever need more than one or is it just in case you deleted one?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
At the very least pretty much all of Nier:Automata's sidequests are unique and do something to advance the story or explore the themes or flesh out the world a bit. There are even sidequests that add more-than-cosmetic additions to familiar hub areas.

Nier:Automata is a really clever game, a lot of strange ideas put together in fun ways and all the holes are filled in with bullet hell sections.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Speaking of Nier 2 now that I'm continuing and have inspected the first shop... is there a reason that it's offering to sell me duplicates of chips I already have? Is there any reason I would ever need more than one or is it just in case you deleted one?

If you die and lose your body you will lose all your chips that were equipped if you fail to acquire your body.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

1) the game has a weird dark souls-esque death system where you lose plug-in chips and have to reclaim them from your body or else you lose them forever (at least I think that's what happens, I didn't really pay attention to what the game told me about that). hell, the checkpoints are basically bonfires. it's weird

2) you can combine chips into higher grade versions. 2 shockwave chips make a shockwave +1; 2 shockwave +1s make a shockwave +2. etc, etc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you die and lose your body you will lose all your chips that were equipped if you fail to acquire your body.

Manatee Cannon posted:

1) the game has a weird dark souls-esque death system where you lose plug-in chips and have to reclaim them from your body or else you lose them forever (at least I think that's what happens, I didn't really pay attention to what the game told me about that). hell, the checkpoints are basically bonfires. it's weird

2) you can combine chips into higher grade versions. 2 shockwave chips make a shockwave +1; 2 shockwave +1s make a shockwave +2. etc, etc

Ooooh thanks

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

the sidequests in nier aren't great but I really think you're underselling the gameplay in that game. it's extremely good

As a Platinum fan, I strongly disagree. (So long as you're looking for the tough but fair side of their gameplay. If you want flash and cool combos, that's there in spades.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like horizon but Nier plays much better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

As a Platinum fan, I strongly disagree. (So long as you're looking for the tough but fair side of their gameplay. If you want flash and cool combos, that's there in spades.)

a game doesn't have to be hard to be good. mechanically it's very good, and you can make it as deep as you want it to be with the plug-in chips

you also get more options later on

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bugblatter posted:

You can always boost the difficulty until enemies literally one shot you

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You can always boost the difficulty until enemies literally one shot you

This can apply to either game really.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I've done about 44% of Nier sidequests. They definitely fall in the range of "grab this item for me over here", but nearly each one gives you a lil flavor of the world and it characters.

Hell even the first 2 sidequests from the resistance merchants give you a example.

:) Thanks for the help!
:( But I'm worried about myself/my friends...

I've only just started my 2nd play through so of course I'm still going to have some big surprises in store. I'm staying away from the Nier thread in fear of spoilers.

There's also some amazing gag endings, Ive gotten 3 of them. Death by eating a fish was amazing

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I was underwhelmed by Automata's combat because my expectations may have been a little too high. It's solid enough if not as good as previous Platinum games or DMC, but backed up by a well-written story though. Certainly more fun than Nier1.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

I was underwhelmed by Automata's combat because my expectations may have been a little too high. It's solid enough if not as good as previous Platinum games or DMC, but backed up by a well-written story though. Certainly more fun than Nier1.

Its the sequel to an rpg with extremely basic an unbalanced combat so they arent going to make it a new dmc have some perspective

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

a game doesn't have to be hard to be good. mechanically it's very good, and you can make it as deep as you want it to be with the plug-in chips

you also get more options later on

Regarding not having to be hard to be good: That's why I qualified my statement saying "for people who want the tough but fair aspect." I specifically said the flash and combos were still there. It is 100% okay to enjoy combat on that level, but people who have similar values as me in their gameplay systems are going to feel misled if told "the combat is deep like previous Platinum titles!"

The chips are a lot of my problem. If you're on Very Hard or Hard without many chips, then you can be killed by janky moments and the punishment is brutal. If you're on Hard using optimal chips, or any of the easier difficulties, button mashing will get you through the game. You can execute combos and juggle enemies if you want, but it's kind of a superfluous remnant of Platinum's older games. If you just want to see your character do cool things, it's neat.

I've finished the game, all sidequests, and all secret bosses. I know what's available later on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I've already gushed a lot about Horizon itt quite a bit but I'd really say play it anyways.

I am a total open world burnout. I would say that I only marginally enjoy even the best of them, but the combat in horizon in genuinely engaging against machines, everyone of them has there own little quirks to figure out and even once you have killed 50 of one type it's usually still pretty fun, and humans are pretty standard but they are rare enough it never really gets old stealth heads shotting guys.

Beyond that, the world map is more interesting than anything I've played in the genre. It's incredibly varied and full of cool things to check out. Quite original too. Geographically and thematically it's all over the place. I don't feel like saying too much because I think it would spoil it a bit.

The story is actually really interesting and well paced as well with lots of mystery and genuinely enjoyable characters.

I'd really give it a Rec even to people who are understandably skeptical of the entire genre. To me it would be the best exclusive I'd Bloodborne didn't exist and even then BB only inches it out by a hair.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

Its the sequel to an rpg with extremely basic an unbalanced combat so they arent going to make it a new dmc have some perspective

Like I said, my expectations were too high so that was on me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Man both the games look great after watching some reviews. I got a bit of the Nier demo down but only had a few minutes to play. If I hadn't just bought For Honor (Dont buy it) a few weeks ago and Nioh (Buy it) before that I'd just grab both of them.

The only other thing I've been thinking about is The Last of Us. I've never played it and it's only $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The only other thing I've been thinking about is The Last of Us. I've never played it and it's only $20.
Its good.