Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Matt Criibabi posted:

Heya AI goons,

I just bought a car a couple weeks ago that is probably going to take over my life and I just wanted to check in with you guys.

She's this lovely lady right here and she's a magical creature:

(1974 Super Beetle. Indeterminate mileage. Runs like a loving champ.)

I posted about her on The Samba, which is a site I didn't even know existed until recently. So my question to AI is, do we trust these guys? I don't necessarily want to have more than one forum in my life, but I didn't see any sort of classic VW thread here... maybe the general VW/porche thread is adequate? I don't know why I trust goons more than other strangers on the internet... it's probably Stockholm syndrome. I just want to do right by her, ya know?
To this day, I've always wanted a nice beetle :3:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Samba is a good resource, but they are super elitist. Be careful. Most questions will be answered with "use the search bar", which is bullshit and doesn't foster an active community.
I loving hate that. Add to the fact that most forums have absolutely terrible search abilities which make it almost impossible for average people to use. Heaven help you if you need to search for a term that is only 3 letters long. Rennlist is kind of like that too but there only seems to be a few of the regular users that are super elitist and "contribute" by replying "TRY A SEARCH :rolleyes:" and the rest are actually very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The iPhone 7 plus with portrait mode suits my needs

Only problem is a laughably large phone. iPhone SE 4lyf

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Only problem is a laughably large phone. iPhone SE 4lyf

ya true, it is kind of big

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

totalnewbie posted:

Should have bought the 6D if you want wide angles :v:

That's one big thing to consider when buying a camera: a crop sensor will give you a good (1.6x for Canon) bang-for-your-buck value on telephoto lenses but a full-frame will give you better picture quality and better wider shots. They're also more expensive but them's the breaks. I think 6D is the cheapest full-frame.

The other big consideration is whether the camera will be used for photos or videos. I got a 6D primarily because I'm not interested in doing video. If I had wanted to do video, I would have gotten a 7D without question. The disparity in capability between the two is huge.

Woah, thanks for the heads up. My girlfriend was eying the 7D because it had a high shutter rate and she wanted to shoot more sports events, but if it's not a full frame like the 6D is, that'll be a lot of money down the drain

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

All speciality forums are terrible.

loving Stovebolt is a wealth of resources, but if you try to ask some basic questions you get hit with TRY A SEARCH!!

Doesn't help that it's all run by old people who don't seem to know it's not 2001 anymore.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think what we're all saying here is "kill all boomers except maybe our parents"

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Forums are kind of a poop way to organize data anyway. Genuinely surprised there aren't wikis for specific car makes/models.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

puberty worked me over posted:

Forums are kind of a poop way to organize data anyway. Genuinely surprised there aren't wikis for specific car makes/models.

As bad as forums are, wikis manage to be stunningly worse without a ton of upkeep.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

(Camera chat cont).

Picked up a t5i when my oldest was born (4 years ago). Nice camera. The bundle you can buy pretty much anywhere comes with great lenses. Arguably, the 18-55 is one of the better all-around use lenses you can get. If you want a cheap cheap cheap prime, nifty-fifty is nice. However, I've found it's a bit too big for in-doors type kid photography in normal/tight spaces on a crop sensor. Just picked up a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and it is great..but that's the first real step into $$$ lenses I've done.

A+ would buy all of this again. The T5i does everything my lovely skill asks of it and is easy enough to change the settings in full manual mode.

She's been looking at bundles for the T5 and T6 - basically the three lenses mentioned The Door Frame, tripod, memory card, etc. She really likes the school's T5 and we've confirmed that the T6 will go full manual if it's just not smart enough on auto.
Probably going to go with a T6 refurb (with warranty) bundle direct from Canon. I figure if she needs to move up, I can always use it, or sell it. I'd probably be happy with a used 50D or so, but she wants a warranty, at least.

Again, thanks for all the guidance. You guys are as helpful with this camera poo poo as cars. Is that a compliment? Only you know for sure.

ya true, it is kind of big

I thought the 6+/6S+ would be too big, but I borrowed a friends. It fit in my pockets, so, good to go. I'm old and need bifocals, so I appreciate the larger real estate, especially when it's in the dash mount (so I can actually read the map!)

i think what we're all saying here is "kill all boomers except maybe our parents"

*maybe*
Mine voted for the orange rear end in a top hat. Pisses me off mightily.

Safety Dance posted:

As bad as forums are, wikis manage to be stunningly worse without a ton of upkeep.

THIS

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why isn't there a camera button on the iPhone? And when can I install a home screen that works as nicely as Windows Phone live tiles? :[

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Why isn't there a camera button on the iPhone?
Volume switch down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think "try searching" should be bannable unless it is immediately followed by a list of useful relevant search terms. There doesn't need to be yet another thread about something already well documented and thoroughly discussed, but when I don't know a car/platform well yet, I don't know what to search FOR, that's why I didn't, or did and found nothing useful.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

kastein posted:

I think "try searching" should be bannable unless it is immediately followed by a list of useful relevant search terms. There doesn't need to be yet another thread about something already well documented and thoroughly discussed, but when I don't know a car/platform well yet, I don't know what to search FOR, that's why I didn't, or did and found nothing useful.

The try searching assholes should just link a relevant search, or God forbid a link to a thread that has the answer you're looking for.

drat picks.

[Why yes, I'm salty, who do you ask?]

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

"Try searching" = we are a closed group and do not wish to increase membership.

Especially if they don't have a sticky or FAQ. Anyhow despite owning a couple different cars with an enthusiast following, I never was inclined to join any specific car forum.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Woah, thanks for the heads up. My girlfriend was eying the 7D because it had a high shutter rate and she wanted to shoot more sports events, but if it's not a full frame like the 6D is, that'll be a lot of money down the drain

No it's not, the 7D is exactly what you want for sports - the crop factor makes it much better to get "closer" and of course it's a faster camera with a brilliant autofocus system especially for sports. And the 7D's picture quality is riiiiight up there.

A lot of pros stopped carrying 1D's and switched to the 7D for sporting events, that is how good the 7D is - you are looking at what is a genuine pro level camera priced at a keen amateur's price. Zoom with your feet and the crop factor isnt a problem.

The only real issue I've had is of course it's low light performance isnt as good as a full frame. But sports? Oh Lord yes you want a 7D

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Fucks sake, an hour and a half motorway trip home became a three and half hour trip through town centres and single track roads because some idiot tried to drive a lorry over the forth road bridge in high winds again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Fucks sake, an hour and a half motorway trip home became a three and half hour trip through town centres and single track roads because some idiot tried to drive a lorry over the forth road bridge in high winds again.
The lorry voted on whether to exit from the bridge, and the fact it didn't do so, and that it's probably a bad idea, is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to try again later.

That stuff kind of sucks, though, I've been caught a few times stuck on totally closed motorways, and you can be there for literally hours, the only time there was an upside was when I was at the front of the queue when it reopened and I got to do a standing mile run on the M1.

For the Americans: "Single track roads" in Scotland means the speeder bike scene in Return Of The Jedi, only with the Ewoks wearing sporrans.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

The lorry voted on whether to exit from the bridge, and the fact it didn't do so, and that it's probably a bad idea, is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to try again later.

That stuff kind of sucks, though, I've been caught a few times stuck on totally closed motorways, and you can be there for literally hours, the only time there was an upside was when I was at the front of the queue when it reopened and I got to do a standing mile run on the M1.

For the Americans: "Single track roads" in Scotland means the speeder bike scene in Return Of The Jedi, only with the Ewoks wearing sporrans.

I got stuck on the M6 for 2 hours last week for that lorry fire between J14 and J15. It was 5:30AM and I was only around 5 miles into my trip so still almost within sight of my house. There is nothing worse than getting stuck at this time of day and at that point in a journey. The fire wasnt even on my side of the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I got stuck on the M6 for 2 hours last week for that lorry fire between J14 and J15. It was 5:30AM and I was only around 5 miles into my trip so still almost within sight of my house. There is nothing worse than getting stuck at this time of day and at that point in a journey. The fire wasnt even on my side of the road.
You always find yourself eyeing up the banks and wishing you were in the Landie, don't you?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No it's not, the 7D is exactly what you want for sports - the crop factor makes it much better to get "closer" and of course it's a faster camera with a brilliant autofocus system especially for sports. And the 7D's picture quality is riiiiight up there.

A lot of pros stopped carrying 1D's and switched to the 7D for sporting events, that is how good the 7D is - you are looking at what is a genuine pro level camera priced at a keen amateur's price. Zoom with your feet and the crop factor isnt a problem.

The only real issue I've had is of course it's low light performance isnt as good as a full frame. But sports? Oh Lord yes you want a 7D

Thanks for saving me from looking like a dumbass by recommending a worse camera, especially now that she's looking in the $1000-$2000 range. She wanted to shoot baseball and softball events, and to get higher quality images than her T3i was letting her get. She'd talked for a while about a full frame like the 6D, but when she had changed her mind to the 7D, I assumed that it would've still been full frame because the 1D, 5D, and 6D were

Jesus, camera poo poo is complicated, and I thought I had an ok grip on it...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hullo Melbourne. I see your traffic sucks as per usual.
Yes, but it's a well designed chaos, unlike Sydney's road setup.

Where are you hiding?

Yesterday was poo poo for me, found out that my dad will be kicked out of his fourth nursing home due to his Alzheimers making him aggressive, both verbally and physically, and he keeps hurting the nurses. Also a co worker of mine who was diagnosed with a brain tumour in late 2015, but seemed to recover from the operations, is now in his last days as the doctors have found the tumour had spread into his body.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Very good :v:

quote:

My worst one was getting stuck overnight somewhere in England and almost missing a flight a few years ago when there was some really bad flooding. The plan was to drive down to Devon, stay with an Aunt and fly to Austria on holiday the next day... I was meant to get to my Aunts in time for a late dinner.

I ended up spending the night on the motorway and by the time it opened up I had to drive flat out to Exeter airport, dump my car in the short stay car park and sprint to my flight - caught it just in time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Yes, but it's a well designed chaos, unlike Sydney's road setup.

Where are you hiding?

Given I cycle rather than drive in Sydney, I dont notice :D

St Albans in between on site work around Deer Park / Laverton. Yes, St Albans is as lovely as I have been told :)

At the Melb DC right now. Fuuuuuuck the traffic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My 'boring 2 day in a hotel' annual company meeting turned out to be a cover story for 'reinterview for your jobs, cause some of you are getting canned'

Anyone know how to smuggle a hotel bed and TV out with your luggage?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Given I cycle rather than drive in Sydney, I dont notice :D

St Albans in between on site work around Deer Park / Laverton. Yes, St Albans is as lovely as I have been told :)

At the Melb DC right now. Fuuuuuuck the traffic.

lol loving Sn-Orbs. That's a real poo poo joint. You poor bastard.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Currently sat on the back of our trailer at Sebring, catching the last of the sun. Life's good sometimes. :D

*E* Update: It's getting cold so I went inside.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 14, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

My 'boring 2 day in a hotel' annual company meeting turned out to be a cover story for 'reinterview for your jobs, cause some of you are getting canned'

Anyone know how to smuggle a hotel bed and TV out with your luggage?
Well, traditionally, the TV goes out the window. But it only counts if it's still plugged in and working when it hits the pool.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CharlesM posted:

Why isn't there a camera button on the iPhone?

Swipe left from the right side of the screen even from a locked phone will jump straight into the camera.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

totalnewbie posted:

Should have bought the 6D if you want wide angles :v:

That's one big thing to consider when buying a camera: a crop sensor will give you a good (1.6x for Canon) bang-for-your-buck value on telephoto lenses but a full-frame will give you better picture quality and better wider shots. They're also more expensive but them's the breaks. I think 6D is the cheapest full-frame.

The other big consideration is whether the camera will be used for photos or videos. I got a 6D primarily because I'm not interested in doing video. If I had wanted to do video, I would have gotten a 7D without question. The disparity in capability between the two is huge.

6D also didn't exist when I bought my 7D. Options were a 1D Mk II, 5D, 7D or the 70D iirc.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Turns out my sense of humour hasn't matured in the slightest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHArmhIAPBE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's spring break and I work at a beach resort in Florida, somebody kill me now please :smithicide:

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

InitialDave posted:

Turns out my sense of humour hasn't matured in the slightest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHArmhIAPBE

I laughed way too drat hard at this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Darchangel posted:

So, my wife is taking a photography course as an elective at college, and has decided she'd like a nice camera. She's using the school's Canon EOS Rebel, T5, I think, may be T4.
She's looking at various kits and deals online.

I know you guys have answered before, but I didn't pay attention, because I had no clue she was going to get the bug. Good, reasonably cheap starter DSLR, and recommended lenses. I know there was a fairly cheap long lense you guys favored, as I recall.
She seems to like the Rebel and has been focusing (heh) on it.

Any great deals out there? Anyone got a good used one they want to offload?
Wanting a camera actually got her starting the taxes this morning...

Get her a Pentax K1000 and tell her that any good photography class includes developing and printing your own pictures.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

angryrobots posted:

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

....dropping off our last 3 years returns to get looked at tomorrow. :stare:

I have some experience with this situation. A guy I used to commute to work with at my old job got his taxes done by one of the major nationwide tax preparers (by an actual human, not a software).

Since our commute was long we talked about everything under the sun and eventually taxes came up. He told me that the previous year he deducted the miles that he drove to work, but wouldn't be able to this year since I always drove and my passengers just paid me for expenses (my car was nice and got 35-45 mpg and his car was a shitpile that got 20 mpg).

Luckily (for him, I guess?) the next year his tax accountant found a new deduction he could use to offset the loss of his mileage deduction. He could deduct 25 dollars per day for lunch expenses since he worked more than 25 miles (or 50, or some poo poo) from home.

All of the above is totally false. You can't deduct any of that poo poo. You can deduct some of it if you're traveling FOR work (and are not reimbursed, which we would have been). You can't deduct any of it if the only traveling you're doing is TO work. All of the poo poo he was deducting is so obviously false it'd be proven so with 3 minutes of Googling. On top of that, this guy never ate lunch period. Even if it were deductible (it isn't), I'm pretty sure you can't deduct money from your taxes that you never actually spent. Like even if he could deduct 25 bucks a day for lunch, he can't deduct 25 bucks per day when he spends 0 bucks per day. And this isn't a couple hundred bucks either. This is thousands of dollars.

Now, I Am Not A Lawyer, but my guess is that there's zero chance of him ever really getting in trouble since it wasn't him doing this of his own accord, it was a tax preparer doing it for him. He might have to pay back the many thousands of dollars of taxes he probably skated on, but he's not going to go to white collar resort prison, let alone pound me in the rear end prison, because he didn't intend to defraud the government, he just did what his accountant told him to do (accountant should be in prison).

And he's probably not ever going to have to do that (pay back taxes), anyway. Pretty sure there are people skating on literal millions of dollars in taxes every year, so some middle class schlub that ends up paying 1000 fed tax when he should have paid 8 grand fed tax isn't (and shouldn't be) a huge priority.

Massive tax reform is absolutely needed but I'm afraid Trump's apparent plan of massive cuts for the rich and somewhere between minor decreases and minor increases for the middle class is probably not what is needed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And they'll privately email you asking if you'd rather sell your bus to one of them to restore "properly," because they think you're "ruining" it as-is.

That seems like an opportunity for some grade A trolling. Just sayin.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scrubs season six posted:

Get her a Pentax K1000 and tell her that any good photography class includes developing and printing your own pictures.

That's a total waste of time unless you plan on using large format for fine art photography.

At this point shooting film is just a novelty, ask me how I know.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a total waste of time unless you plan on using large format for fine art photography.

At this point shooting film is just a novelty, ask me how I know.

That's largely true, but there's something about actually working with film and learning what the terminology really means outside of an Adobe menu that is incredibly useful, satisfying, and can help with more intuitively navigating Photoshop/Lightroom.

*realizes his Photo 101 B&W class was over 10 years ago*

Nevermind, I'm now grandpa talking about how he made and used a REAL dodge/burn tool :smith:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Now, I Am Not A Lawyer, but my guess is that there's zero chance of him ever really getting in trouble since it wasn't him doing this of his own accord, it was a tax preparer doing it for him. He might have to pay back the many thousands of dollars of taxes he probably skated on, but he's not going to go to white collar resort prison, let alone pound me in the rear end prison, because he didn't intend to defraud the government, he just did what his accountant told him to do (accountant should be in prison).

Nah, you're liable for your own return. I think they can penalize preparers separately, but as far as the irs is concerned, you are responsible.

That being said, my return is a little more complicated and I probably should have been going to a professional already. She asked a lot of questions and I think did some figuring with depreciation on our rental property which was purchased pre-recession. If I'm guessing, it's probably a mix of that, and some fudging, hopefully with some knowledge of what may trigger an audit.

And if I get audited, ho loving well I'll play dumb and write them a check. It wasn't that yuuge of a return, probably closer to average for families that itemize, but I'm not used to getting anything. Anyhow, the irs is understaffed and audits are wayyy down over the last 5 or 6 years. It's their fault for making such an obtuse tax code full of loopholes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's largely true, but there's something about actually working with film and learning what the terminology really means outside of an Adobe menu that is incredibly useful, satisfying, and can help with more intuitively navigating Photoshop/Lightroom.

Nevermind, I'm now grandpa talking about how he made and used a REAL dodge/burn tool :smith:

Don't get me started on saving that yellow cellophane gift wrap from Easter baskets to make contrast filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I learned on film just as digital was taking starting to take a foothold, and even did lots of paid work on film.

The amount of time (a lot) I spent in dark rooms was fun, but really completely useless as the time would have been better spent learning how to use photoshop.

• Locked thread