Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burning swine
May 26, 2004

alternate headline: Chinese government better at protecting US secrets than US air force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines posted:

roughly, something mandating ongoing manufacturer support and minimum levels of security for internet connected devices.

e.g. your fridge/stove/babymonitor/drone/doorbell connects to the internet in any fashion then you have to provide security updates for x number of years for any discovered vulnerabilities and it has to have some basic level of authenticated access, no hard coded root passwords, etc.

have really basic pen testing certification requirement, like a CE mark

I'm sure that the company that operates entirely from China is going to actually provide those updates after pinky swearing to do it. Are you going to mandate that the retailer does it instead?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I'm sure that the company that operates entirely from China is going to actually provide those updates after pinky swearing to do it. Are you going to mandate that the retailer does it instead?

whoever the importer is would be liable, if that's the retailer then :rip:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Volmarias posted:

how do we deal with any other product that is found to be defective after sale?

computers are not magical unicorns, we can use the same legislation we already have.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
so this happened today:
http://colin.keigher.ca/2017/03/beating-bsides-vancouver-2017-ctf-using.html

one of the organizers is miffed at me for having post this but alas

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
also in other news:

checkpoint released an updated IPS signature for MS04-024 today

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
it's 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computers are not magical unicorns, we can use the same legislation we already have.
lol

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
re: IOT sec:

Do what they do with physical safety right now: make the company liable if their poo poo is hosed.
If it's a non-US company and they don't want to do any thing about it, make the seller liable.

That and prosecuting companies for criminal negligence with PII leaks. When it turns out that the root password for all their web servers was q12345 and all of your employee W-2's get exfil'd the response should be something along the lines of what VW is going through right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what classes of goods currently require proactive maintenance from the manufacturer? vehicles, maybe medical devices, what else?

which legislation do you have in mind? I don't know this area of law very well. I know that I can buy something "as is" and have no recourse, so I'm now sure what the minimum bar is for the legislation you're talking about

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
unfortunately if your cooking stove blows up it won't take half the internet with it, but i think it taking steel beams with it is a close enough analogy here.

who's liable if that happens due to product being defective? probably absolutely nobody, lol. some lowly worker that did everything as told might get fired somewhere.

iot works the same way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm not drafting policy here. broadly, you have minimum security standards and a certification mark showing you meet the standard. you have minimum ongoing support requirements for anything that's found to breach the standard, for x years

your company, or your representative in the us is financially responsible for costs associated with any lapse or recall.

i don't know exactly how enforcement works, to my knowledge there are some basic requirements for electrical devices sold in the united states, things like requiring UL and CE marks, so in theory something similar to that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

i don't know exactly how enforcement works, to my knowledge there are some basic requirements for electrical devices sold in the united states, things like requiring UL and CE marks, so in theory something similar to that

just a gentle reminder that you were the one talking about existing legislation. I'm not asking you to make policy, I'm asking you how said existing legislation applies

UL/CE means that they don't present safety hazards, not that they will function as advertised. I think it would be a stretch of case law to claim that someone using your doorbell in a botnet constitutes a safety hazard, but again it's not an area of expertise

all IoT devices I've encountered already have UL/CE certification, because as you point out that applies to electrical devices. are you saying that under current legislation there is liability for the DDoS appliance manufacturers, if someone decided to press a suit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well i suppose it depends on how you qualify a safety hazard. if your device has a known vulnerability, you don't patch it, and it participates in a DDoS that knocks the eastern seaboard offline, i think there's an argument to be made for culpability there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if that's the case, and liability exists under current legislation, do you share my surprise that nobody has pressed charges or a suit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

somewhat, so either i'm very wrong (likely), or this is another case where computers are magic because reasons and no one has gotten anyone to bite on those grounds (probably not)

i think you would have a clearer case if some critical infrastructure went offline due to an IoT DDoS and there were a directly attributable loss of life. although even then, it would probably be easier to focus on the direct cause of death.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 15, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well what material losses do you have as a result of your doorbell being part of a botnet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bandwidth costs?

hardship due to the police shaking you down over participating in cybercrime (lol)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

i think you would have a clearer case if some critical infrastructure went offline due to an IoT DDoS and there were a directly attributable loss of life. although even then, it would probably be easier to focus on the direct cause of death.

if a life-critical piece of infrastructure fails because of unwelcome network traffic, lawyers are going to be pretty busy without figuring out the makes and models of the light switches generating the traffic, yeah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

if a life-critical piece of infrastructure fails because of unwelcome network traffic, lawyers are going to be pretty busy without figuring out the makes and models of the light switches generating the traffic, yeah

do i need to go find the screenshot of the aws support posting where the guy was crying about their home care monitoring infrastructure being down because aws made an api change or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do i need to go find the screenshot of the aws support posting where the guy was crying about their home care monitoring infrastructure being down because aws made an api change or something?

yeah, that's a good one. I just don't think anyone is going to make a case stick against Amazon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, but if your iot doorbell is participating in a botnet and so your glucose monitor fails to upload your stats and trigger an alarm, and you go into a diabetic coma, have we come up with a sufficiently obtuse example where iot device security becomes a consumer safety issue?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no more so than an ISP error, power outage, or misplaced backhoe, IMO, so probably not. I'm not likely to be called as an expert witness though

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

okay, but if your iot doorbell is participating in a botnet and so your glucose monitor fails to upload your stats and trigger an alarm, and you go into a diabetic coma, have we come up with a sufficiently obtuse example where iot device security becomes a consumer safety issue?

If your glucose monitor fails in those conditions it's not legal to begin with.

Implementing such a law would probably be easiest done by adding an extra tax and then allowing companies to claim back that tax after a certain period of patching known flaws.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, that's a good one. I just don't think anyone is going to make a case stick against Amazon

can't sue the steel supplier if your bridge was designed wrong in the first place

well, you can but you'd lose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

no more so than an ISP error, power outage, or misplaced backhoe, IMO, so probably not. I'm not likely to be called as an expert witness though

and i'm not likely to be writing consumer safety policy for the FTC, so i think we're both in the clear

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

moot point anyways because a Trump admin won't regulate any of this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's how the conversation started, the ftc made a statement washing their hands of responsibility for iot cyber security issues, saying they needed to see what threats would emerge before they could say if they had any standing on the issue

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 15, 2017

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
imo just hijack iot devices first but only to secure them

e: this is illegal don't do this!!!!!!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to be more succinct, i think iot security is a consumer safety issue as long as things like smoke/co alarms, stoves, and fridges are being connected to the internet. webcams in a botnet are a bit of a red herring, it's just a convenient example since it's been in the news

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

to be more succinct, i think iot security is a consumer safety issue as long as things like smoke/co alarms, stoves, and fridges are being connected to the internet. webcams in a botnet are a bit of a red herring, it's just a convenient example since it's been in the news

Like everything else nothing will happen until it blows up spectacularly. Then people will wring their hands and a half measure measure will happen and then in 10-20 years we'll have forgotten why and gently caress it all up again. Repeat until sweet sweet nuclear release.

Basically humanity.txt

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

well i suppose it depends on how you qualify a safety hazard. if your device has a known vulnerability, you don't patch it, and it participates in a DDoS that knocks the eastern seaboard offline, i think there's an argument to be made for culpability there.
who's culpable? the manufacturer, who can claim ignorance? the consumer, who was """""""notified""""""" about the vulnerability but neglected to patch the device or take it offline? the consumer's isp, who allowed their customers to participate in a botnet?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
all iot developers, retailers and owners against the wall imo

isps can stay for now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

who's culpable? the manufacturer, who can claim ignorance? the consumer, who was """""""notified""""""" about the vulnerability but neglected to patch the device or take it offline? the consumer's isp, who allowed their customers to participate in a botnet?

the botnet doesn't matter, it's a convenient example of compromised devices. who's liable if your smoke alarm doesn't go off while your house burns down because someone hacked it for lulz?

being part of a botnet can prevent devices from functioning, but the same access methods can be used to modify their behaviour in other ways, the fact that they're vulnerable to remote intrusion is the problem

specifically the manufacturer's problem

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 15, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

the manufacturer, and security patches should be treated the same way car recalls are treated where people get physical letters in the mail with big red important font on them

obviously this will never happen but lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the botnet doesn't matter, it's a convenient example of compromised devices. who's liable if your smoke alarm doesn't go off while your house burns down because someone hacked it for lulz?

being part of a botnet can prevent deices from functioning, but the same access methods can be used to modify their behaviour in other ways, the fact that they're vulnerable to remote intrusion is the problem

the person who hacked it obviously, not the innocent all-american company that just wanted to bring you the quality targeted advertising tuned to your smoking habits that 9 out of 10 smokers prefer

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nice paper: https://spqr.eecs.umich.edu/papers/trippel-IEEE-oaklawn-walnut-2017.pdf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

the manufacturer, and security patches should be treated the same way car recalls are treated where people get physical letters in the mail with big red important font on them

obviously this will never happen but lol

most recall notices are voluntary, or "self-regulated" if you will, and not imposed by a regulator

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
Twitter accounts are getting owned left and right by Turkish hackers

https://twitter.com/amnesty/status/841909178243379200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bicycle posted:

Twitter accounts are getting owned left and right by Turkish hackers

https://twitter.com/amnesty/status/841909178243379200

Next time take a screenshot.