Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that there's a huge difference between complaining a game is unoriginal and complaining a game is uninteresting and he seems to be mixing up the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

That really isn't what they appear to be saying there at all. (Just from your quote, I don't know about the rest of their review.")

"Why does this game deserve your money over the existing and already available games that do the same thing" is a question that comes up a lot.

But it's a stupid loving question when the opening line of your review literally heaps praise on the game in question. Why does the game deserve your money? Because in the man's own words it's it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built. That's bad writing, sorry. For what it's worth the rest of the review isn't much better, he makes a couple salient points but it's buried in a lot of meandering bullshit and fawning over Ori and the Blind Forest.

On a matter unrelated to Hollow Knight but vaguely related to John Walker, he might actually be right in a broken clock sort of way...I'm watching a streamer play through a press copy of Mass Effect Andromeda and you know how everybody's been making fun of the bad models and animations? It turns out they aren't much better in motion but even more than that the voice acting and dialogue is really not very good. There's a big scene early on where SPOILERS your dad dies so his mantle can be passed down to you and when you wake up from your own near death experience and your squadmates are trying to break the news to you about your father's death the whole thing is just so utterly flat, no drama, no emotion, it's the epitome of :geno:

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 15, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You should probably actually put that in spoiler quotes. There are some people who read this thread that are looking forward to that game.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

But it's a stupid loving question when the opening line of your review literally heaps praise on the game in question. Why does the game deserve your money? Because in the man's own words it's it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built. That's bad writing, sorry. For what it's worth the rest of the review isn't much better, he makes a couple salient points but it's buried in a lot of meandering bullshit and fawning over Ori and the Blind Forest.

On a matter unrelated to Hollow Knight but vaguely related to John Walker, he might actually be right in a broken clock sort of way...I'm watching a streamer play through a press copy of Mass Effect Andromeda and you know how everybody's been making fun of the bad models and animations? It turns out they aren't much better in motion but even more than that the voice acting and dialogue is really not very good. There's a big scene early on where your dad dies so his mantle can be passed down to you and when you wake up from your own near death experience and your squadmates are trying to break the news to you about your father's death the whole thing is just so utterly flat, no drama, no emotion, it's the epitome of :geno:

I know it's the cool thing to poo poo on Mass Effect right now and that a lot of the pre-release materials make that spoiler pretty obvious, but that's still not how spoiler tags work.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone needs to chill and just shake it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PW1F3P5mA

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay sorry, I was pretty sure that part of it was common knowledge and not a plot twist or anything, it's been in preview material but spoilered.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Okay sorry, I was pretty sure that part of it was common knowledge and not a plot twist or anything, it's been in preview material but spoilered.

It's all good friend. And thank you for taking the small time to possibly make someone's day better rather than be like a bunch of other goons and decide to make this issue the hill you choose to die on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

You're taking that as heaping praise but to me it doesn't come across as such. I don't think 'solidly built' is particularly gushing and neither do I find 'genuinely good' to be so. There exists a realm between "this is FANTASTIC" and "this is utter poo poo" and that is where it seems to lay to me. "This is a good game you'll probably enjoy if you play it" isn't exactly foaming at the mouth with praise at least to me.

I should note that I think "this is a fun game and you'll probably enjoy it if you play it" applies to a lot of stuff that people in this forum tend to go full hyperbole talking about how utterly insanely lovely and unplayable it is. I don't know about Walker but I think a lot of people tend to shove games into "they're good and you should buy them now" or "they're bad and horrible and poo poo" boxes and I don't think that works. Any quick glance at, for example, the indie lineups on any of the consoles will show a lot of games that are probably pretty darn good experiences that just aren't exceptional enough to be truly remembered.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kai Tave posted:

But it's a stupid loving question when the opening line of your review literally heaps praise on the game in question. Why does the game deserve your money? Because in the man's own words it's it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built. That's bad writing, sorry. For what it's worth the rest of the review isn't much better, he makes a couple salient points but it's buried in a lot of meandering bullshit and fawning over Ori and the Blind Forest

I mean if I was a reviewer I would personally find it hard to not be comparing Ori and the Blind Forest to Hollow Knight the entire time, cause they're similar in a ton of ways. And Hallow Knight wouldn't come out anywhere near as good to me because Ori is one of the best platformers I've played... ever in my life. I'd totally be fawning over Ori too

Granted I'd probably mention that bias up front though

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For what it's worth I'm not trying to poo poo on ME:A for meme points or anything, I'm watching the stream to see for myself instead of relying on the rather dire Mass Effect thread, but in my honest opinion the voice acting is genuinely kind of bad and while it's one thing to say "well the animations are bad buuuuut" it's another thing when your fully voiced RPG is full of stilted, unemotional, occasionally cringey dialogue. It also looks like it's got the usual assortment of day one bugs and glitches like squadmates stuck shooting into the floor, voicelines cutting off early, etc. Gameplay looks...okay? But for all that you have zip-zoop jetpacks enemies still seem bullet spongey so combat doesn't seem as dynamic as it could be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's ironic. People were saying the same about Horizon Zero Dawn when they should have had their eyes peeled for Mass Effect the whole time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CJacobs posted:

It's ironic. People were saying the same about Horizon Zero Dawn when they should have had their eyes peeled for Mass Effect the whole time.

People have been complaining about the bad animation in Andromeda for months, it's not an issue that's slipped in under the radar.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People have been complaining about the bad animation in Andromeda for months, it's not an issue that's slipped in under the radar.

Yeah but the people in the Mass Effect thread are, no offense, bugshit crazy both in general and to keep posting there. The actual problem is that when you see the game in motion, being played, it turns out that it's not just shitposters slowly going insane but the game actually looks kind of mediocre.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I mean, if it's bad it's bad, which sucks since it's a series which heavily relies on voice performance, unlike Zelda where the voice over is painfully bad but also so sparse and non-integral to the game it's a non-issue. I'm waiting on a friend who is a Mass Effect super fan and has already pre-ordered it to let me know how it is because if she's "a little disappointed," I know I'll be horrified.

But I'm not going to watch pre-release material in case it turns out decent and I want to play it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'd like ME:A to be good because I like games to be good on the whole, I'd rather have another good game to play than a bad game to make fun of for a little while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I expect at the end of the day ME:A will probably be pretty average more than hilariously bad, except insomuch in the ways that all Bioware stuff is hilariously bad. It'd be nice if it was exceptional but that just seems unlikely.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

Uh, just so you know when they say "chocolate/cofee-like" it's just talking about undertones; beer still tastes like beer. That said, yeah, Weißbier is a good one to start with since it's not as hoppy as light beers and not as malty as dark. But they are the first ones I liked, though now I'm mostly into porters and stouts since I still can't stand the taste of hops.

John Walker's entire retarded gimmick is to be outraged and contrarian about whatever's in at the time. Funny thing is, I honestly can't remember if he was always like that or not.

He's the only writer I recognize by name and I kind of like that. Him and Tim Rogers but rogers hasnt written anything in years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All bioware games suck donkey dick.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

All I'm expecting from Andromeda is Dragon Age Inquisition but with better multiplayer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

All I'm expecting from Andromeda is Dragon Age Inquisition but with better multiplayer.

That's the lowest bar Ive ever heard of.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vchZaSstN0Y

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That's not getting old.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In Training posted:

That's the lowest bar Ive ever heard of.

The "better multiplayer" bit is, but Bioware can and have done worse than DA:I's singleplayer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually the Mass Effect games, KotoR Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire are good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only good bioware ever did was having obsidian make way more interesting games from their dregs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm fine with DA:I but in space too tbh. There aren't enough space RPGs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I will say that the streamer I'm watching does a pretty good Clancy Brown impersonation and he's at least making things entertaining.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh wow, now that we live in a world with Yoko Taro + Platinum, we absolutely must, MUST have an announcement of the Hitman (2016) team is working on Alpha Protocol 2!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm fine with DA:I but in space too tbh. There aren't enough space RPGs.

I'd rather have a game with passable combat and non-garbage sidequests.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Andrast posted:

Andromeda's combat seems fine at least.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

The odd thing is all the Mass Effect games had way better combat than DA:I and came before it. It's been too long for me to comment on the side quests though. All I remember are the character quests, which were usually good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Andromeda's combat seems fine at least.

Yeah, I think it's pretty unlikely that they gently caress up the combat since it was fine in ME2 and ME3

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually the Mass Effect games, KotoR Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire are good.

well, the first two ME games are good, and nwn2 was okay. i hear mask of the betrayer is great, but i had crazy burn-out aftet doing the main campaign so doing the expansion was out of the question.

it's been about seven years since an actually good bioware game has been released imo, just sayin'.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

well, the first two ME games are good, and nwn2 was okay. i hear mask of the betrayer is great, but i had crazy burn-out aftet doing the main campaign so doing the expansion was out of the question.

it's been about seven years since an actually good bioware game has been released imo, just sayin'.

Nwn2 was Obisidian. Your timeline still fits though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You should play Mask of the Betrayer. It's way better than anything Bioware has ever released.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

http://www.parenfaire.com/brewfest/index.php

I'm hoping to go to this if we're comfortable enough financially by the time it comes around. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

Lotta breweries, I'll hopefully get to try out all kinds of beers and see if there is anything I enjoy.
http://www.parenfaire.com/brewfest/breweries.php
Do any of you beer fans recognize any of those breweries?

Also, the complimentary food list

Unlimited buffalo chicken mac & cheese sounds rad as gently caress. Also lol at there being additional charges if you wanna buy a pickle tho. Of all the things that they need to add additional charges for, it's the pickle.

You live in PA? The only redeeming factor of Lancaster County is the metric shitload of variety in places that will get you fuckin drunk. Going by that list, Lancaster Brewing, Chatty Monks, and St Boniface are all pro choices. Duclaw is good too, I used to go to their restaurant back when I still lived in Maryland.

If you're not really into beer then I guess start with ciders and work your way up? Angry Orchard is not local but they do usually have pretty good flavors.

There's some other point during the year where they have a wine fest at the fair grounds. Normally wine tastes like goddamn swill to me but that was the first time in my life that I voluntarily bought and enjoyed wine.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm an American i've just never been to anywhere featured in guy fieri's television programs

It's the Ren faire grounds, foods that are hilariously bad for you are not only expected but encouraged.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 15, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When I was a teen, my idea of a perfect game was BioWare's writing with Bethesda's gameplay.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

When I was a teen, my idea of a perfect game was BioWare's writing with Bethesda's gameplay.

and I thought I had bad opinions as a teenager

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Baldur's Gate II and Morrowind were pretty good though, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i cut john walker some slack because he made sure i never bought deponia 3 even after liking the first one and sort of enjoying the second (which in retrospect was kind of awful, too)

• Locked thread