Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JuffoWup posted:

Yuro is back! :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGsBkDzB0wo

The end has him terrorizing people with the new khaba using heal instead of smoke.

His song selection is always what makes these videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Iceshade posted:

What drugs are you on?

I can't say it's the best tier 7 but I have to agree with NTRabbit that it's not the poo poo box is used to be.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Pepsi has the same problem as the Shchors, it needs living teammates to be good. You can use your great guns to pelt people with HE, then vanish when you start drawing fire. If you can't take advantage of distracted targets, though, or if you get permaspotted, your extremely... "strong" armor will come into play... and we all know the meme about Pensacolas by now. The Myoko at least has the ability to bounce BB shells on top of being stealthier than the other 2, which is pretty strong. Of course, the Myoko can't do much about smoke clouds except torp them, so the Fiji and Belfast are a bit more "useful" in Ranked meta. But no tech tree T7 can do anything about smoke.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished the Tides of March challenge and got the Katori.

It's...definitely a boat, I guess.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pensacola is a ballerina with a black belt, it's not even remotely like the Schors. For starters, it actually has AP ammo, which will gloriously gently caress over battleships for big damage chunks where the Schors peashooters bounce for nothing, let alone cruisers, where the Schors also bounces for nothing. The AP is so good I rarely even bother to switch to HE, unless I'm on a big DD hunt, or just want to start a couple fires for DoT before switching back. Secondly, Schors can't dodge, at all, or retreat; Pensacola can dance around shells and cut a quick turn between broadsides to get on out - and with the new spotting range dow to 13km before even putting any stealth gear on it, you can now run and disappear fairly easily.

Pensacola actually plays most similar to Yorck, which I also enjoyed.

I mean ok, Fiji, Myoko, Yorck, and now Pensacola are all very good, I just happen to like the way the Pensacola plays. Schors is no good though.

Hazdoc posted:

But no tech tree T7 can do anything about smoke.

Yorck gets hydro, so does Fiji

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 13, 2017

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I've got the Neptune now, and drat does it feel like an upgrade. 2x4 torps, crazy good AA, 4.5sec reload with the reload mod. I did really well in the Edinburgh, but somehow it felt like a downgrade from the Fiji even though it was more or less the same thing. I'm really looking forward to the Minotaur if this is the way the Neptune is going to be.

e: that's 2x4 torps on each side

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 13, 2017

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Burt posted:

I can't say it's the best tier 7 but I have to agree with NTRabbit that it's not the poo poo box is used to be.

Yes, but "the new boss cruiser of tier 7" is stretching it a bit?

It's still the papier-mâché tinderbox, it still has no torps, and it still has limited utility. It's no longer seen from space, but it's still going to be focused by everything as soon as it fires. You can attempt to "dance like a black belt ballerina" all you want, but that single 406mm shell is going to land somewhere on your deck and penetrate all the way down and take 15k health off you.

The guns with its AP are good, which is pretty much its only redeeming quality. Except for the 15 second reload.

e: And ok fine, the concealment is pretty okay now.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 13, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NTRabbit posted:

Pensacola is a ballerina with a black belt, it's not even remotely like the Schors. For starters, it actually has AP ammo, which will gloriously gently caress over battleships for big damage chunks where the Schors peashooters bounce for nothing, let alone cruisers, where the Schors also bounces for nothing. The AP is so good I rarely even bother to switch to HE, unless I'm on a big DD hunt, or just want to start a couple fires for DoT before switching back. Secondly, Schors can't dodge, at all, or retreat; Pensacola can dance around shells and cut a quick turn between broadsides to get on out - and with the new spotting range dow to 13km before even putting any stealth gear on it, you can now run and disappear fairly easily.

Pensacola actually plays most similar to Yorck, which I also enjoyed.

I mean ok, Fiji, Myoko, Yorck, and now Pensacola are all very good, I just happen to like the way the Pensacola plays. Schors is no good though.

I don't get how you can possibly say the Myoko, Yorck and Cola are in the same catagory as the Fiji. The smoke makes all the difference in the world for team utility and survival. And the Fiji is well back behind the Belfast because it lacks radar. The Myoko I can understand as a decent ship since it has good torps and high fire chance but the Yorck and Cola are still bottom rung and bring very little to a ranked team.

NTRabbit posted:

Yorck gets hydro, so does Fiji

You can't possibly attempt to equate a 4.2 km (normal) or a 5.4km (german) hydro with a loving 8.5km radar.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

For starters, it actually has AP ammo, which will gloriously gently caress over battleships for big damage chunks where the Schors peashooters bounce for nothing, let alone cruisers, where the Schors also bounces for nothing.

Have you played the Shchors with IFHE? It has no problem penning BBs and cruisers where it needs to. Why would you even use Soviet CL AP in 95% of situations?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pacra posted:

Have you played the Shchors with IFHE? It has no problem penning BBs and cruisers where it needs to. Why would you even use Soviet CL AP in 95% of situations?

Yeah, I was wondering this too. IFHE makes the shchors way better than the finnicky ap shells of the pensacola. I'm saying this as I've been playing both since the patch. I would still rather play the shchors. IFHE not being as finnicky plus the fast reload makes it amazing. And that isn't counting the power of adrenaline rush. Pensacolas get shot immediately when spotted because everyone knows there is no armor on it. The shchors is priority target when spotted because thw combination of fire ticks and ifhe pens make them dangerous if ignored.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
If you have trouble with the game freezing up/crashing, try disabling the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device in Device Manager if you have Nvidia. Seems to have fixed it for me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The nice thing about the Shchors is that while you don't get the big hits like 203mm AP, you get really nice consistent damage out of its HE shells with IFHE. Plus if something suddenly gives you a nice surface to fire AP on, you can switch quick enough to pelt someone with them, then go back to HE to finish burning them down.

Plus the whole Russian cruisers don't sent their shells into the upper atmosphere at longer ranges.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MikeC posted:

You can't possibly attempt to equate a 4.2 km (normal) or a 5.4km (german) hydro with a loving 8.5km radar.

Of course it's not as good as radar, but it is a tool for dealing with smoke.

Also, if you want to talk about them in terms of just ranked meta rather than random, then the only two any good are Fiji and Myoko. Belfast may have radar, but without torps it's unable to deal the kind of damage required to deal with 3 or 4 battleships in a 7 ship team, and yes, the most common team comp I see is 3 BB 3 CC 1 DD, followed by 4 BB 2 CC 1 DD, and then 2 BB 4 CC 1 DD.

Pacra posted:

I finished with Schors before IFHE came out, but it wouldn't matter anyway, because it still doesn't solve my biggest gripe with the ship, which is that it's a giant barge that has neither armour or WASD hacks, nor smoke or a high base stealth, making it the easiest cruiser to kill in the tier. This is combined with a DoT gun style that requires constant exposure and firing across the game to reach the total damage the IJN/USN/KM cruisers reach with concentrated bursts, same crippling problem every Russian cruiser has from tier 4 to 8, which is why they're all worthless. The only thing Chapayev has going for it is stealth firing, so you can actually continuously fire to maximise DoT like a smoked RN cruiser can, and once it loses that next patch there'll be no reason to choose it over 155 Mogami.

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I was wondering this too. IFHE makes the shchors way better than the finnicky ap shells of the pensacola. I'm saying this as I've been playing both since the patch. I would still rather play the shchors.

The only good Russian cruiser tree is the one that starts at Kiev, and it's the only one I'd play voluntarily. Pensacola AP isn't finnicky either.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 14, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Altho I think the Schor deal more consistent damage at longer than the pensacola (thanks to IFHE), it is overall less survivable.
It has terrible maneuvrability, bad armor and bad concealment.

Pensacola may not be the best T7 cruiser but it is now a solid ship for random battles.
For some reason I did pretty well in it altho I'm poo poo with the Indianapolis (it was a gift).

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Also, if you want to talk about them in terms of just ranked meta rather than random, then the only two any good are Fiji and Myoko. Belfast may have radar, but without torps it's unable to deal the kind of damage required to deal with 3 or 4 battleships in a 7 ship team, and yes, the most common team comp I see is 3 BB 3 CC 1 DD, followed by 4 BB 2 CC 1 DD, and then 2 BB 4 CC 1 DD.

I'm probably going to hit rank 1 with around 100 games played thanks to the Belfast, so loving lmao at it being worse than the Myoko and Fiji. I'm ripping apart BBs with IFHE and getting High Caliber pretty often.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

El Disco posted:

I'm probably going to hit rank 1 with around 100 games played thanks to the Belfast, so loving lmao at it being worse than the Myoko and Fiji. I'm ripping apart BBs with IFHE and getting High Caliber pretty often.

:ntrabbit:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just got high calibre in my Leander in a 6v6 dump game, but it was neither a win nor top xp. Top xp was the Arizona, who when down to 1v1 versus a Hatsuharu beached himself behind an island because "it was too fast" and just waited for the Hatsu to cap the win.

I'm not sure what game you guys are even playing.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I just got high calibre in my Leander in a 6v6 dump game, but it was neither a win nor top xp. Top xp was the Arizona, who when down to 1v1 versus a Hatsuharu beached himself behind an island because "it was too fast" and just waited for the Hatsu to cap the win.

I'm sorry, is this post about a tier 6 random battle supposed to support your assertion that the Belfast is worse than the Fiji and Myoko in (tier 7) ranked play?

I'm playing the game where my 70% win-rate Belfast is dragging my ranked teams to victory. Where I've lost maybe 3-4 stars on the losses thanks to being top of the team so often. And that's counting my two power failure related star losses.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It was a post about how high calibre isn't the most meaningful of battle awards, and that it's pretty easy for a bad battleship to trump a good cruiser to top xp just by existing longer.

I've seen a lot of Belfasts in ranked, but in a loss 9 times out of 10 top xp is either a battleship or destroyer.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 14, 2017

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
NTRabbit has had quite a bit of trouble getting to the 10-5 bracket (and probably never reached it) let alone the 5-2, so take any observations about ship performance in ranked with appropriate levels of salt. Belfast utterly dominates the current ranked season.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NTRabbit posted:

Quite frankly, we are not sure either

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Haven't played much of ranked this season, but Fiji is not bad :boom:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Timmy Horsey posted:

Haven't played much of ranked this season, but Fiji is not bad :boom:

It's a very solid choice. I'd rate it as the second best cruiser this season after the Belfast. Probably the best non-premium ship overall.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
On one part he is right though. On a defeat, Belfast is seldom at the top. That said, Belfast loving dominates this season, so much that the alternative is the shiratsuyu to torp the gently caress out of those clouds.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cippalippus posted:

On one part he is right though. On a defeat, Belfast is seldom at the top. That said, Belfast loving dominates this season, so much that the alternative is the shiratsuyu to torp the gently caress out of those clouds.

That only proves that the game does not reward utility like spotting and providing smoke enough.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Krogort posted:

Pensacola may not be the best T7 cruiser but it is now a solid ship for random battles.
For some reason I did pretty well in it altho I'm poo poo with the Indianapolis (it was a gift).
I'm the same and it's because, at least for me, the Indianapolis has a noticeably longer rudder shift time. Whereas the Pensacola can generally react fast enough if you're fighting at 10km+ to dodge or at least mitigate shell salvos the Indianapolis requires a bit more forethought that extra second or so it takes for your rudder to go from neutral to full means that you're gonna eat more shells.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

...are you unironically suggesting that the Belfast is inferior in some way to the other CAs in Ranked?

Please be trolling.

Cippalippus posted:

Perhaps the Belfasts you're seeing are being played by shitters. When I climbed to 1, Belfasts (including myself) were usually top XP, content to sit in smoke clouds and farm damage for top XP while their team crumbled around them. The only other contender for top XP would be the Sims, in a match where the team collapses too fast to allow a damage farm (then they net top XP from capping one objective and their insane base XP ratio).

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Insert name here posted:

I'm the same and it's because, at least for me, the Indianapolis has a noticeably longer rudder shift time. Whereas the Pensacola can generally react fast enough if you're fighting at 10km+ to dodge or at least mitigate shell salvos the Indianapolis requires a bit more forethought that extra second or so it takes for your rudder to go from neutral to full means that you're gonna eat more shells.

The Indy turns slower, now has higher detection, and a really fat hull that has more ways to trap shells. I played only a few games in my Christmas box Indy before I put it aside. The Arizona feels far more rewarding.

Edit: Just found an interesting bug:

Looks like the daily win bonus didn't reset, but only for my Nagato.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 15, 2017

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

You can enable last spotted markers and names on the minimap...

I had no idea.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So after dicking around on and off since rank season, I suddenly find myself at rank 6 and now have a sudden urge to go for rank 1 before season ends. Are their goons in a similar rank situation that want to set up a time and division up for one last hurrah this weekend?

El Disco posted:

Can't division in ranked.

wow I am sad

MikeC fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Playing ranked tonight, a Mahan didn't know that the Belfast has radar and hydro. :psyduck:

e: in the 5-2 bracket.

MikeC posted:

So after dicking around on and off since rank season, I suddenly find myself at rank 6 and now have a sudden urge to go for rank 1 before season ends. Are their goons in a similar rank situation that want to set up a time and division up for one last hurrah this weekend?

Can't division in ranked.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Blindeye posted:

The Indy turns slower, now has higher detection, and a really fat hull that has more ways to trap shells. I played only a few games in my Christmas box Indy before I put it aside. The Arizona feels far more rewarding.

:same:

Blinks77 posted:

You can enable last spotted markers and names on the minimap...

I had no idea.

I think they added that recent-ish-ly after seeing how popular it was as a mod.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Last spotted has been around for several patches now. Names was in the latest patch though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
You can also change crosshairs in the options menu. I highly suggest "Dynamic". It automatically changes the ticks to match your level of zoom, so you can zoom one level out if you need more lead space for those pesky russian DDs.

You can also make your minimap larger, find what buttons its bound to for your computer, for mine it was + and - on the numpad. Blow that map up to a good size, the minimap is super important. Also, make sure you bind F3 (Designate Target) to a non-problematic key or mouse button, so you can just hit that when you want to highlight a target ship or cap. Its very convenient to just ping a cap at the start to let your team know which way you're headed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pinging a cap fails to work for me 90% of the time, even if nothing's in the way. No idea why.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

wow I am sad

Yeah it'd be pretty cool if they allowed 2-ship divisions in ranked but wargaming seems to feel that getting through the ranks should be a very individual accomplishment. I read something like this from wargaming somewhere (probably a forum post) but it boiled down to "Ranked is for the best player, Team Battles is for the best team." And yes lol Team Battles.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

wdarkk posted:

Pinging a cap fails to work for me 90% of the time, even if nothing's in the way. No idea why.

As far as I can tell, you have to aim your targeting pointer right at the cap's floating icon. Good luck doing that when you can't actually see the pointer!

I just scored a third supercontainer, fifty dragon flags. RNGesus is being suspiciously nice to me. :raise:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
why do players insist on taking trash ships like the Yorck into ranked play. Its just a ball and chain when the other team's cruiser is a loving Belfast

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
Had my first 200k game in a Montana of all things. Unfortunately I can't seem to buy a win tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So Phontomen seems to like the Okhotnik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr7vCxAauSo