Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrolleBolle
Oct 26, 2005

Hello, Is this dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

lmbo :krust: :burgerpug:

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

It's nothing, and it was stupid to make a medium-sized deal about it.

Although David Cay Johnson is on and is hilarious; he's basically saying Donald may have leaked this on his own, and also may have sent the racy Melania pics to the NY Post http://nypost.com/2016/08/01/melania-trumps-girl-on-girl-photos-from-racy-shoot-revealed/

Impressive if true.

Trump leaks his own tax return, MSNBC makes a big deal about it like they've discovered some major piece of information, everyone gets excited to see what it is. Trump puts out a press release 15 minutes before they go live, revealing the details of the tax return, showing he made a lot of money and paid a lot of taxes, in ratios to be expected for a very wealthy man. Now Rachel Maddow has to go live and spend an hour talking about what's now a non story.

Press looks bad, press looks like they're attacking Trump over nothing. The various stories of "He pays no taxes" and "He's a failed businessman who makes no money" are now proven untrue.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
... Five minutes before MSNBC goes on its revealed Trump forgot to turn off his mic and they get to comment live as the president of the United States tries to pick up an intern by telling her about Area um.. the one with the alien bodies.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

that's a bigly.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

Impressive if true.

Trump leaks his own tax return, MSNBC makes a big deal about it like they've discovered some major piece of information, everyone gets excited to see what it is. Trump puts out a press release 15 minutes before they go live, revealing the details of the tax return, showing he made a lot of money and paid a lot of taxes, in ratios to be expected for a very wealthy man. Now Rachel Maddow has to go live and spend an hour talking about what's now a non story.

Press looks bad, press looks like they're attacking Trump over nothing. The various stories of "He pays no taxes" and "He's a failed businessman who makes no money" are now proven untrue.

yup this

good move by trump, basically pushes a lot of people that might have moved away from him closer and creates a stronger reason why not to trust media

media accuses him of not paying taxes
begs for the info
gets the info
shows he paid his taxes
trump leverages it into his media witchhunt narrative
wins back some public trust

p smart

of course there's all the 90s and every other year, but good show. he basically dropped the birth certificate on MSNBC, who ran with the story even before there was one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

They have the power to raise the price of our gasoline by $5/gallon any time they want

They have the power to start trading for oil in another currency line the euro and everyone else would follow suit

These are not small matters

i mean

and mind you this is night time me posting

we loving invade and bomb every single country around them let's just fuckin invade them lol

they're a monarchy we have a perfect cassus belli

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Iran, Saudi Arabia is like an open desert for the most part and all the important poo poo is in range of our gently caress off naval fleet

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I'm looking forward to Trump doing some stupid rear end poo poo tomorrow, because thats always what follows something that seems like a good thing for Trump. And I will continue my lols.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
and we never heard about tax returns ever again

(until trump will remind people at 2020 debates to debase the media)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
president trump, your wiretap[p] tweet got us in a hot mess, and wikileaks reveal and microwave camera transformers arent getting us out

"Give MSNBC the good year return"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont forget that the other 'genius' here is:

hi im easy d trump, and now that taxes pay my salary, id like you to file them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

etalian posted:

OPEC ended up being a pretty ineffective cartel due to how all the members countries would always screw each other over when one of them got into a cash crunch.

Exactly, and due to increased production worldwide of both oil and natural gas, especially in North America and Russia (who are not a part of OPEC) as well as green technologies, the oil industry is in the mother of all cash crunches.

To be completely honest, domestic oil production and falling prices have probably been the greatest boon to U.S. foreign policy in the last couple of decades. Even though it is mostly inadvertent, low gas prices are good for the U.S. and its citizens and extremely bad for many of our foreign "enemy" petro-states (or allies we don't want to be too successful) i.e. Russia, Iran, Venezuela, the Gulf States, etc. And whenever OPEC does manage to limit production which most of the states don't want because they're hurting bad for cash, American natural gas and Canadian shale immediately start picking up the slack.

Sorry, not a lot of LOLs there besides the fact that we stumbled rear end-backwards into America's only real diplomatic success in a long, long time. Ironic also that Trump supports growth in domestic oil production, not for that reason of course as it's much too subtle for him but stopped clock and all that.

What I really want to see is Trump's attempt at a trade deal. We all know he doesn't have the faculties or the professional help to negotiate a good deal or even understand how international economics works. In addition, the stock market has been going up but it's primed for a drop investor confidence is not as high as it might be and anything that seems like protectionism or tariffs could spook the stock market into a major drop before the law has even been passed. He's going to be so confused because he actually thinks he knows things about economics when really just like everything with him his policies are based around knee-jerk nationalism and racist paranoia lol. NOBODY (and I mean nobody) but him and whatever poo poo pet economist he has thinks tariffs, protectionism, and cancelled trade deals are remotely a good idea.

EDIT: also his tax reform is bound to be a wild ride as well. It's gonna be the biggest gently caress you got mine rich person giveaway in history and we'll have to see if even his supporters will take that particular dick in their mouths

Play fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

FuhrerHat posted:

dont forget that the other 'genius' here is:

hi im easy d trump, and now that taxes pay my salary, id like you to file them

Still blows my mind that no one seems to care that trump didn't end up forgoing his salary like he promised

Its pretty lol though

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Still blows my mind that no one seems to care that trump didn't end up forgoing his salary like he promised

Its pretty lol though

The claim is that he's legally required to take a salary, and so he's donating it to charity. Constitution says, "The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them".

I'm guessing it's for better PR. You get to have an initial story of taking no salary, then you get to say, "I was forced to take a salary, so it's going to this Catholic orphanage".

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Orange Sunshine posted:

The claim is that he's legally required to take a salary, and so he's donating it to charity. Constitution says, "The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them".

I'm guessing it's for better PR. You get to have an initial story of taking no salary, then you get to say, "I was forced to take a salary, so it's going to this Catholic orphanage".

I was talking about the fact that they now refuse to prove he's actually donating any of it at all

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Can you kindly shut the gently caress up about oil economics and pr strategies and post some motherfuckin lols

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Orange Sunshine posted:

Impressive if true.

Yea this was pretty genius tbh. After looking bad for more or less saying Obama didn't wiretap him after all this will serve as a big distraction and I told you so making the media look like "FAKE NEWS".

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:vince::five:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
maddow exists to only garner ratings and not to encourage any political change one way or the other

lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wow maddow got loving savaged. did they hype it before even bothering to read what was leaked?

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

thathonkey posted:

wow maddow got loving savaged. did they hype it before even bothering to read what was leaked?

Guys... part of Trumps return... from 12 years ago!

STOP
THE
MOTHER
loving
PRESSES!

I bet she looked around for a giant red button to press to make some alarms go off.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

There's a good chance that she didn't read it ahead of time.

Some reporter named David Cay Johnston had the actual returns, and came on her show to talk about them. I'm guessing he kept them until the show started to make sure he'd be there for the big scoop, and she only found out last minute that they contained basically nothing of interest.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's still on her that she allowed this media circus to happen. Was she always this worthless?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yes?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

That's a lol right here

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/841605335592886273

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

that's a lol

e: mostly at implicitly saying youtube is a political discussion forum

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Orange Sunshine posted:

There's a good chance that she didn't read it ahead of time.

Some reporter named David Cay Johnston had the actual returns, and came on her show to talk about them. I'm guessing he kept them until the show started to make sure he'd be there for the big scoop, and she only found out last minute that they contained basically nothing of interest.

And the idea that trump's team leaked it in the first place may or may not be true, but the pieces do fit. They pick a year where trump's taxes resemble those of your average respectable tax-haven-using rich person in America, leak it knowing that the media will go crazy in anticipation and knowing that the guy you anonymously leaked to wants his 15 mins of fame, so he'll keep it wrapped up until he's on air. Then release a WH statement popping the balloon ahead of the air time and leave maddow to clean the egg off her face

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Thought this was someone making a very funny joke and lol'd

Found out he's an info wars editor, lol'd again, harder

Guys be responsible and squeeze every lol you can out of these plentiful times. Years from now we may have a lolfamine, and you do not want to lament about the times of plenty when you cast the lols aside half-laughed, thinking they would last forever

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
How would you even get someone's tax returns without a subpoena if not from the man himself? Dumpster diving his accountant?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Tricky D posted:

How would you even get someone's tax returns without a subpoena if not from the man himself? Dumpster diving his accountant?

"yeah I was at the McDonald's and trump was there with this briefcase and his hands were covered in catsup sauce so he dropped it and all his tax returns fell out and I took pictures"

cnut
May 3, 2016

History's greatest monster! lol

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
"Hey Rachel, I just got an email from some account 'Ronaldkrump6969@yahoo.com' and their telling me that they have a no-poo poo copy of Donald Trumps tax return."

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Tricky D posted:

"Hey Rachel, I just got an email from some account 'Ronaldkrump6969@yahoo.com' and their telling me that they have a no-poo poo copy of Donald Trumps tax return."

No the email would be 'easyD@whitehouse.gov'

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's times like these I like to think what would Chris Dorner do?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
All jokes aside, I bet those tax returns were sourced from a thumb drive found in the studio parking lot labelled 'trump tax returns.' Enjoy your ransomware MSNBC.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Impressive if true.

lol

How can Trump be so incompetent and yet run circles around the media. Rachel Maddow has been dreaming about taking Trump down since election day and now she is his mouthpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Tricky D posted:

All jokes aside, I bet those tax returns were sourced from a thumb drive found in the studio parking lot labelled 'trump tax returns.' Enjoy your ransomware MSNBC.

They were mysteriously dropped into the mail slot of a journalist, David Cay Johnston. He even speculated they were sent by Trump himself.

Oh and btw, Johnston has been reporting on trump for 30+ years and even wrote a book about him : "The Making of Donald Trump"