Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

Pathfinder, we've identified seven potential goalposts for this thread, all varying in scale and quality. It will be your mission to explore them all over the course of this game's development.

"Look, the game didn't burn down my HDD, so, it's good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well yeah but just about what it implies for a moment. It doesn't make any sense on any level outside of a gameplay mechanic. The dad sat down and programmed in "Ok don't tell the next Pathfinder this stuff until they've explored 3 planets or unlocked 50 alien consoles or established 13 outposts - whichever comes first."

"Or he could just, like, blow a metric fuckton of the natives to smithereens. Again, I'm flexible."

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I actually played some Witcher 3 tonight and the facial animations are not very good there either or are at least on par with ME:A for a vast majority of characters.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zzulu posted:

what reviews are those

You don't need to read reviews you can straight up watch big chunks of the game.

It's all painfully boring and unengaging. I expected to be glued to screen to see some new Mass Effect but there's nothing exciting going on at all in the first few hours of the game. Besides loving Peebee there's not a single character whose personality has stood out to me yet.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

enraged_camel posted:

Ryder dad DadRyder was gay.

Fixed for accuracy. :grin:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
lookit those dreamy blues

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DA: O was nice but it wasn't that good man

it wasn't that good

the story was garbage, the graphics were garbage and the deeproads were garbage and the combat was garbage. I did like the music and character interacations though

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Clawtopsy posted:

lookit those dreamy blues

The Spice must flow.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Digirat posted:

I'd need to compare it with mass effect 2 and 3 to see if I'm remembering them with rose tinted glasses and this is actually totally normal for the series, but either way, it's a hell of a step down from the witcher 3.

It is, faces barely animated in ME1,2 or 3... They usually had pretty decent default expressions though which worked in most situations. In ME4 they look a little too glass eyed dollfaced

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Bioware, the only company in the world that wouldn't get this joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zzulu posted:

it wasn't that good

the story was garbage, the graphics were garbage and the deeproads were garbage and the combat was garbage. I did like the music and character interacations though

Your face is garbage

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Watched some streams and i tend to agree with those who claims "average" migh be the overall response after release. It feels reeeeally safe. Too familiar for my tastes. People will compare every upcoming WRPG with TW3 in one aspect or another, but hell, Breath of the Wild it's another benchmark people don't associate enough with ME:A imo.

Get away with the space dating simulator, remove that godawfull scan mechanic and give me the sense of exploration and reactive world BotW managed to create and you have a great recipe for a great ME game.

Personal_Nirvana fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 15, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Watched some streams and i tend to agree with those who claims "average" migh be the overall response after release. It feels reeeeally safe. Too familiar for my tastes. People will compare every upcoming WRPG with TW3 in one aspect or another, but hell, Breath of the Wild it's another benchmark people don't associate enought with ME:A imo.

Get away with the space dating simulator, remove that godawfull scan mechanic and give me the sense of exploration and reactive world BotW managed to create and you have a great recipe for a great ME game.

they should have combined it with no man's sky

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Get away with the space dating simulator,

:chloe:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

it wasn't that good

DA:O came out at the right time though - there was a massive void of good "big name" RPGs.

I mean sure there was good stuff like Eschalon Book 1 or anything by Spiderweb Software and so on but the average gamer has never heard of such gems and wouldn't consider them because they aren't all high fidelity 3D and so on.

If DA:O came out now (let's say with higher res textures) it would probably never have had the same staying power, wilting in the face of CD Projekt Red's work.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DancingShade posted:

DA:O came out at the right time though - there was a massive void of good "big name" RPGs.

I mean sure there was good stuff like Eschalon Book 1 or anything by Spiderweb Software and so on but the average gamer has never heard of such gems and wouldn't consider them because they aren't all high fidelity 3D and so on.

If DA:O came out now (let's say with higher res textures) it would probably never have had the same staying power, wilting in the face of CD Projekt Red's work.

Nah I think it would still be fairly popular. What other party based RPGs are there that aren't isometric turn based things that a lot of people don't have the patience for?

E: More griping. I'm watching a mission they're on now and it's a cookie cutter copy of the ME2 mission to Horizon. Right down to the guy hiding and not wanting to help. Except it lacks all of the eeriness of the ME2 mission. Literally the exact same mission with the exact same objectives.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 15, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's all painfully boring and unengaging. I expected to be glued to screen to see some new Mass Effect but there's nothing exciting going on at all in the first few hours of the game.
I miss the gripping excitement of wandering around the Normandy talking to Dr. Chakwas, then discussing the finer points of gas bags with Jenkins.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

DA:O had cool poo poo like the Origins prologue, though. Like, the gameplay was a bit janky and the fluff and lore was this strange sense of 'uniquely generic' but it was overall a very cool game.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I still don't understand why they put romance into Mass Effect. It didn't seem to add anything to the story or any of the characters, it was just weirdly tacked on to each game like an afterthought.

Was there any reason except pandering to nerds that want to hump aliens?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked DA:O, not saying it was bad

Just thought it had a lot of flaws like most other Bioware games

I think the biggest issue I had with DA:I was that your teammembers just were not that interesting. I hope the Andromeda crew is a lot more interesting

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pawl posted:

I still don't understand why they put romance into Mass Effect. It didn't seem to add anything to the story or any of the characters, it was just weirdly tacked on to each game like an afterthought.

It made sense for Mass Effect imo

It was all about your place as a human in this new galactic setting filled with strange civilizations. Falling in love with and having a relationship with an alien was perfect for a pulpy sci-fi setting like this

Then they continued it because the fans loved it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pawl posted:

Bioware romances started out as a curiosity with the BG series that then sort of mutated into this underlying expectation on behalf of BSN fans that all their games would have them, to the point that by Dragon Age some people would trudge through purely for the romance aspect. I don't think there is anything wrong with writing love interests into a video game, in fact some of my favorite games ever have romantic themes as a central aspect to the story, but there's something kind of perverse and cheap about the way they're written into Mass Effect, where the player is given free reign to impose their will on passive crew members who unconditionally adore you for being a galactic badass.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Plus they'd done romances in BG2, KotOR, Jade Empire, and NWN.

efb.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's also nothing "pulp" about Mass Effect, I wish people would stop using that to describe the series. Pulp is like Plan 9 From Outer Space. Mass Effect is about as right down the middle sci-fi as you can get.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware romances started out as a curiosity with the BG series that then sort of mutated into this underlying expectation on behalf of BSN fans that all their games would have them, to the point that by Dragon Age some people would trudge through purely for the romance aspect. I don't think there is anything wrong with writing love interests into a video game, in fact some of my favorite games ever have romantic themes as a central aspect to the story, but there's something kind of perverse and cheap about the way they're written into Mass Effect, where the player is given free reign to impose their will on passive crew members who unconditionally adore you for being a galactic badass.

Bioware romances are for the people too ashamed to have anime erotic graphic novel games in their Steam libraries.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

player is given free reign to impose their will on passive crew members who unconditionally adore you for being a galactic badass.

Should have made andromedashep/OG shep an incel, complete with a self romance scene.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Milky Moor posted:

DA:O had cool poo poo like the Origins prologue, though. Like, the gameplay was a bit janky and the fluff and lore was this strange sense of 'uniquely generic' but it was overall a very cool game.

There were a few gimmicky builds you could do that absolutely owned, and took some planning. I liked the way you could set tactics for each party member, and get them to all buff one character into a paper shredder for bad guys. I liked the combat in DA:0.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 15, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://youtu.be/AG2rcic9EXc?t=2294

Sorry Zzulu but so far the crew seem pretty dull. I really don't want to be making GBS threads on this game but from everything I've seen the best I could say is it doesn't seem buggy and is competent if uninteresting.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

watching BikeMan playing this on Twitch right now and sofar the main story missions like quite good

edit: well until he has to reload a save cause he isnt allowed to show major story plot points yet

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 15, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

There were a few gimmicky builds you could do that absolutely owned, and took some planning. I liked the way you could set tactics for each party member, and get them to all buff one character into a paper shredder for bad guys. I liked the combat in DA:0, reading to set it up.

The tactics system got worse and worse as the series went, until it was loving useless in Inquisition.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

There's also nothing "pulp" about Mass Effect, I wish people would stop using that to describe the series. Pulp is like Plan 9 From Outer Space. Mass Effect is about as right down the middle sci-fi as you can get.

I'm pretty scared of ME:A being a by-the-numbers/safe-for-mass-consumption game plot wise. With the increasing production costs of videogames, I feel companies are going trend safe and boring like your average movie. Not implying games ever had good story, nor are they art or whatever or barrrffff.

Just want a semi engaging story? Somewhat memorable?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

buglord posted:

Should have made andromedashep/OG shep an incel, complete with a self romance scene.

I don't think Bioware fans are ready for that level of hyper-realism.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The tactics system got worse and worse as the series went, until it was loving useless in Inquisition.

ugh, they made it even worse then DA2, did they. Shame, it was a really neat flexible mechanic.

I suppose that's a problem with a flexible system like that, people fluff it, wonder why bad guys take so long to die, and in response it ends up as a vestigial thing, and the game is less rewarding and shallower.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 15, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pawl posted:

It's a trend of Bioware's that's generally increased and become more prevalent and one they've experimented with all the while.

It showed up first in Baldur's Gate 2 with four total characters (three women, one man, hetero-only, would only romance certain races depending on the choice) for the PC to romance. What was interesting about them is that each one of these relationships was flawed or strange in some way, which was probably to help with the idea that the player is a godling of murder and lives a really terrible life. The big difference between BG2 and what came later, however, is that these romance plots were quite long. For example, it's not uncommon to need to cheat to see the entirety of some of them because they operate on a timer system and you might finish the game before the timers all get to fire off. What was also very different was that the NPCs could break off the romance if the player said or did the wrong thing. People really liked them, especially because they were carried through to the expansion and had an effect on the endgame slides. They weren't always happy endings either, I think.

Neverwinter Nights also had two romance options. Aribeth and Aarin Gend (hetero, still). Both of them barely had much of an effect on the narrative. I think the only thing it really does is make it a bit easier to turn Aribeth back to the side of good after she is brainwashed to join the evil lizardpeople. Regardless of romance, however, Aribeth is burnt at the stake. AFAIK, the female romance options (Gend) doesn't have any effect on anything whatsoever. Despite this, people really liked them and there was a wealth of modules expanding them on NWNvault.

KOTOR had Bastila and Carth, but I don't really remember much about that. I want to say romancing Bastila made it easier to turn her back to the light side. I can't remember if there was a female homosexual romance subplot with Juhani, or if that was cut content. People liked Carth so much he's shown up in every Bioware game since.

Mass Effect is where they start to take a bit more prominence, where there's the typical Bioware romance pattern: talk to them after each plot signpost, always agree with them, bang prior to the big climax. So, it's also where there's the first sex scene. KOTOR had one, I think, but it was fade-to-black.

Dragon Age is where they really started to take off (except for the underwear lmao), however, and sort of established how the trend has continued through to today. DA2 was very liberal with their approach which may or may not have been a good thing depending on your perspective.

People just really like thinking their character as a person who can get romantic with people. Bioware's been making them more and more shallow and reducing character romances to little achievements to gain and the overall trend is seemingly denying the idea of agency to the other NPCs. It's not a bad thing but Bioware's shallow take on relationships and romance really comes across as a wish fulfillment afterthought.

edit:

Basically, what my fellow poster Tea said:

quote:

But what's strange is that the initial curiosity has generally become increasingly shallow and meaningless.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 15, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Guy posted his thoughts about the game compared to the RPS article. The bit about the new dialogue system doesn't sound good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5zhdst/mea_spoilers_i_played_20_hours_of_mea_heres_my/

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

exquisite tea posted:

Uh mass effect is like the definition of pulp sci fi, maybe you just don't understand the term. Pulp doesn't insinuate bad or shlock but more to describe an era of the fiction. Sexy alien ladies, lost technology, bad guy robots and exploring the unknown are all big features of pulp sci fi.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

KOTOR had Bastila and Carth, but I don't really remember much about that. I want to say romancing Bastila made it easier to turn her back to the light side. I can't remember if there was a female homosexual romance subplot with Juhani, or if that was cut content. People liked Carth so much he's shown up in every Bioware game since.

Mass Effect is where they start to take a bit more prominence, where there's the typical Bioware romance pattern: talk to them after each plot signpost, always agree with them, bang prior to the big climax. So, it's also where there's the first sex scene. KOTOR had one, I think, but it was fade-to-black.
Jade Empire did most of what ME did first, although I think the sex scenes were off-camera / fade-to-black affairs.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

^^^ JE's the one Bioware game I've never actually played!

Evil Canadian posted:

Uh mass effect is like the definition of pulp sci fi, maybe you just don't understand the term. Pulp doesn't insinuate bad or shlock but more to describe an era of the fiction. Sexy alien ladies, lost technology, bad guy robots and exploring the unknown are all big features of pulp sci fi.

You're as wrong as the guy who calls Mass Effect 'details-oriented' sci-fi.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RatHat posted:

Guy posted his thoughts about the game compared to the RPS article. The bit about the new dialogue system doesn't sound good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5zhdst/mea_spoilers_i_played_20_hours_of_mea_heres_my/

It's about what I'm expecting. So far the Ryder kids seem like normie plebs compared to Shepard, like characters you'd run into during a quest then forget about in an hour because something cooler happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Who could forget Babylon 5 and TNG, the two great pulp forbears of Mass Effect from which it borrows extensively.