Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Please tell me there is a way to make hacking easier, barring lowering the difficulty - or at least tell me there's some way to bolster the amount of hits I can take.

lowering the difficulty reduces the number of shots it takes to kill enemies

oh you said barring that well

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

just remember that you're faster than the enemies while hacking, so most you can circle strafe and shoot at.

honestly most patterns in it can be solved with copious amounts of circle strafing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

McDragon posted:

Fast Travel unlocked in the first run made me laugh even though I messed it up. Got to the quest that opened it up, then decided to do sidequests and explore and stuff. There was a lot of hoofing about with me bitching about not having fast travel. Then I finished the quest.

RanKizama posted:

Same. I was getting super salty about all the running back and forth to the desert and other places for Juan Paul. Then unlocked fast travel and just got even more mad.

I'm comforted to know that this happened to others.

Then just to rub it in, i had a similar thing happen trying to get to the spot to take the third photograph.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

No Mods No Masters posted:

There isn't, good luck to you
Lame.

The little guys are fine but any time I try to jump into anyone else it's a nightmare.

Bugblatter posted:

Nope. Always three hits, as indicated by the tail geometry falling off of your cursor. It's the most basic shmup patterns around though, so some practice will get you there. I dunno if lowering difficulty does anything at all? Unless it makes it so only the easier games occur.
I'm sure some Touhou player out there is laughing at me but if these are basic patterns I never want to see expert ones.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

just remember that you're faster than the enemies while hacking, so most you can circle strafe and shoot at.

honestly most patterns in it can be solved with copious amounts of circle strafing.
20 seconds or whatever it is ain't a whole lotta time to strafe; especially not with those golden enemies where even the cover hurts you for being in close proximity.

I know this probably reads as me being whiny but I had to vent somewhere so sorry for the fuss.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's ok I dislike hacking too and shooters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just completed the stamp quest and it owned.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Route C seems difficult.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just completed the stamp quest and it owned.

This. The Amusement Park area in general owns, and stamp quest is one of my favorite sidequests.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I feel like I probably wasn't supposed to fight level 40 Father Servo at level 12

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm pretty sure you aren't intended to finish that side quest until your second playthrough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone know what's up with these two quest markers?

http://i.imgur.com/UdjEFMr.png
http://i.imgur.com/eCv09DK.png

Second one is the same place as the Phoenix Dagger, first is the building you land on.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyone know what's up with these two quest markers?

http://i.imgur.com/UdjEFMr.png
http://i.imgur.com/eCv09DK.png

Second one is the same place as the Phoenix Dagger, first is the building you land on.

1. Check the lower floors, I believe it's floor 3 or 4 iirc.
2. Try approaching the marker from the forest.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you open your map and snap the cursor to a quest area and then hit the place marker button you can turn the map to the side to see what elevation the marker is at. helps for stuff like that building, the red bubbles are almost always centered right on the thing you're trying to find.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just cleared the Amusement Park on Route B.

Never change Taro Yoko. :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

1. Check the lower floors, I believe it's floor 3 or 4 iirc.
2. Try approaching the marker from the forest.

Could have sworn I did both of those but welp. Cheers.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Could have sworn I did both of those but welp. Cheers.

The first of those is bugged and doesn't always spawn, unless it was fixed in the most recent patch. You'll eventually be able to force it to spawn with chapter select, though it will be after you've seen some narrative stuff it ties into, which would be a shame.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Lame.

The little guys are fine but any time I try to jump into anyone else it's a nightmare.
I'm sure some Touhou player out there is laughing at me but if these are basic patterns I never want to see expert ones.
20 seconds or whatever it is ain't a whole lotta time to strafe; especially not with those golden enemies where even the cover hurts you for being in close proximity.

I know this probably reads as me being whiny but I had to vent somewhere so sorry for the fuss.

P sure you can lock on in hacking on normal and lower.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

The first of those is bugged and doesn't always spawn, unless it was fixed in the most recent patch. You'll eventually be able to force it to spawn with chapter select, though it will be after you've seen some narrative stuff it ties into, which would be a shame.

Yeaaaaah, I noticed. Oh well.

Not even Platinum can iron out all the Cavia.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I feel like the game dev machine is a good self insert

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeaaaaah, I noticed. Oh well.

Not even Platinum can iron out all the Cavia.

Eh, Platinum are known for jank too. I think that's almost part of why Platinum and Taro were a dream match up

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Can someone tell me what all this talk of routes is? Like are they different paths you can take in the game or do you beat the game and then start a new story like the scenario A scenario B stuff from Resident Evil 2?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mr President posted:

Can someone tell me what all this talk of routes is? Like are they different paths you can take in the game or do you beat the game and then start a new story like the scenario A scenario B stuff from Resident Evil 2?

Without any overt story spoilers, Route A is your first playthrough. Route B is your second, it's largely a retread of the first playthrough but it adds some context to certain events and characters and adds a new gameplay gimmick. Route's C and D pick up right where route A and B left off, with the split in ending coming down to a specific decision you make very close to the end of the game. One option yields C, the other D. You unlock E after acquiring both C and D. Endings G-Z seem to be all joke option failure states.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Failboattootoot posted:

Without any overt story spoilers, Route A is your first playthrough. Route B is your second, it's largely a retread of the first playthrough but it adds some context to certain events and characters and adds a new gameplay gimmick. Route's C and D pick up right where route A and B left off, with the split in ending coming down to a specific decision you make very close to the end of the game. One option yields C, the other D. You unlock E after acquiring both C and D. Endings G-Z seem to be all joke option failure states.

oh ok so once you complete route E. You have essentially completed the storyline/main quest of the game?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Correct.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I could probably stand and watch these robots throw confetti while the Amusement Park theme plays all loving day. Holy poo poo.

slev posted:

I feel like I probably wasn't supposed to fight level 40 Father Servo at level 12

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm pretty sure you aren't intended to finish that side quest until your second playthrough.

Really? I clocked him out in one try at around level 24 my first run through on Normal. He was pretty easy.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I have a major gripe about A2.

Having A2 not explicitly be the original 2B, that defected after she couldn't take killing YoRHa members anymore, seems like a huge narrative blunder. And if that is the case, it was certainly not convoyed that way except maybe the part when she cut her hair. Having A2 just dumped into the story as the new co-lead without any set up or motivation explained along the way/at the end seems so dumb. A2 getting 2Bs memories through her sword is such a cop out. Or am I just the one being dumb and missing some kind of meta narrative to why A2 replaces 2B when they are 90% the same anyway? Is there a section of story I missed about A2 somewhere?

Assuming that A2 is supposed to be 2B gone rogue, then why would she give a poo poo about the robots anymore, shouldn't she be entirely focused on killing YoRHa and especially 2B to free 9S from the cycle?

Wouldn't it make more sense for A2 to try and convince 9S that A2 and 2B are one in the same just with a divergence of memories? How awesome would it have been if A2 SHOWED 9S the memories of her killing 9S over and over, instead of us having to read it in a blog or something. Only for 9S to completely reject that idea because his memories of 2B are what make her 2B and not that A2 was once 2B? Echoing and finally understanding 2Bs idea that you are only who you are in this moment.

Having that be A2s thing would have been more poignant then just 'I'm angry because my friends died in a unrelated event that will never be explained in game'

Really they could have just not had A2 in the game at all and have 9S think that 2B is dead only for her to appear in the tower later and confess she's an E-Type. 9S's mental state would be so far gone at that point he doesn't believe 2B would do that, or doubt she is the real 2B, considering he just had to slaughter a bunch of fake 2Bs. So they inevitably fight and 9S either tragically kills 2B or she sacrifices herself to save him from the logic virus. Like what A2 did (for some reason, I guess she has 2B memories or some poo poo)

This is only part of the story I felt was handled poorly.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

RanKizama posted:

Really? I clocked him out in one try at around level 24 my first run through on Normal. He was pretty easy.

He gets beefier. If you took out his final form at 24, color me impressed.

The peace parade side quest is also better saved for your second playthrough. Much less frustrating, and still hilarious.

I think finding the treasure in the castle is also in the running for my favorite side quest. The 2D platforming and exploration feel really good.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I think on my next playthrough, I'm going to refuse to use the bomb pod program because that thing, especially charged, trivialized the hell out of most fights even moreso

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

brainwrinkle posted:

Route C seems difficult.

gently caress yeah it does. I keep stalling at the stumble around bits.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

brainwrinkle posted:

He gets beefier. If you took out his final form at 24, color me impressed.

The peace parade side quest is also better saved for your second playthrough. Much less frustrating, and still hilarious.

I think finding the treasure in the castle is also in the running for my favorite side quest. The 2D platforming and exploration feel really good.
Once you learned his pattern, the fight was just tedium. The peace parade was a level 35 quest and I couldn't finish it my first run through. I'll try again in my second.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
If you hack Father Servo you win instantly

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving P ending get outta here LET ME RUN

E: this is the first lame as poo poo thing the game has done so far. Seriously having to walk across this game map without being murdered oh that's cool I get knocked down and get stuck into a hit loop until I'm knocked to the bottom of the map stuck there to lose

Two loving hours of this poo poo

I don't know how to move about the map without jumping or dashing I wasn't trained for this

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 15, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Monomythian posted:

I have a major gripe about A2.

Having A2 not explicitly be the original 2B, that defected after she couldn't take killing YoRHa members anymore, seems like a huge narrative blunder. And if that is the case, it was certainly not convoyed that way except maybe the part when she cut her hair. Having A2 just dumped into the story as the new co-lead without any set up or motivation explained along the way/at the end seems so dumb. A2 getting 2Bs memories through her sword is such a cop out. Or am I just the one being dumb and missing some kind of meta narrative to why A2 replaces 2B when they are 90% the same anyway? Is there a section of story I missed about A2 somewhere?

Assuming that A2 is supposed to be 2B gone rogue, then why would she give a poo poo about the robots anymore, shouldn't she be entirely focused on killing YoRHa and especially 2B to free 9S from the cycle?

Wouldn't it make more sense for A2 to try and convince 9S that A2 and 2B are one in the same just with a divergence of memories? How awesome would it have been if A2 SHOWED 9S the memories of her killing 9S over and over, instead of us having to read it in a blog or something. Only for 9S to completely reject that idea because his memories of 2B are what make her 2B and not that A2 was once 2B? Echoing and finally understanding 2Bs idea that you are only who you are in this moment.

Having that be A2s thing would have been more poignant then just 'I'm angry because my friends died in a unrelated event that will never be explained in game'

Really they could have just not had A2 in the game at all and have 9S think that 2B is dead only for her to appear in the tower later and confess she's an E-Type. 9S's mental state would be so far gone at that point he doesn't believe 2B would do that, or doubt she is the real 2B, considering he just had to slaughter a bunch of fake 2Bs. So they inevitably fight and 9S either tragically kills 2B or she sacrifices herself to save him from the logic virus. Like what A2 did (for some reason, I guess she has 2B memories or some poo poo)

This is only part of the story I felt was handled poorly.

A2's backstory is explained in the game at the terminal in the resistance camp, which is a shortened retelling of this: http://nier2.com/blog/yorha-stage-play/

A2 is not meant to be a replacement for 2B in any way, nor is she really a co-lead. She's very much a tertiary protagonist. A2 wasn't ever painted as the new 2B, and she doesn't want to be or anything of the sort. The closest she comes to it is that when she's hacked by Hegel in the desert, part of 2B's memories merge with hers but it's never a case where she's fighting for control of her own body or whatever. Her cutting her hair is a symbolic gesture of accepting 2B's request to protect Earth, Humanity and 9S. It would be out of character for 2B to be all parasite brain jack too, she's very much accepting of life and death. A side-quest tells you she's okay with her death when it comes.

She's not killing YoRHa units exclusively because the entire reason she defects is because to Command, YoRHa androids like A2 were sent to die in battle without mercy. She kills E-Types (whose personality is based on her own) out of self-defence. She kills machines because that was her mission and she believes in that, even at the end when 9S challenges her to a duel to the death and he tells her it's all fake. When it boils down to it though, she's got nothing to do but her mission because she lost everything, and the thing she had wants her dead.

She can't convince 9S that she is 2B because she isn't 2B. She doesn't need to show 9S the memories 2B had of killing him because he's known all along that she's there to put him down and that she hated it.

Like, I don't think A2 is handled especially well myself, but I think you've come out of Automata with a completely misunderstood point about A2 as a whole, or you're disappointed that what you imagined she is isn't correct.. A2's character is basically telling a story about what happens to combat veterans who lose everything for their "country" (YoRHa in this) and get nothing back for it. Number 4 was "more than just friends" with A2, in the same way that the feelings 2B has for 9S are.

Basically, a large part of Automata's message is that War is just pointless, killing people who are your enemy just because you're told their your enemy is is stupid because they're just the same as you at heart and 2B and A2 tell very different aspects of being a soldier and them being the same person wouldn't help achieve those things.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 15, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

verbal enema posted:

loving P ending get outta here LET ME RUN

E: this is the first lame as poo poo thing the game has done so far. Seriously having to walk across this game map without being murdered oh that's cool I get knocked down and get stuck into a hit loop until I'm knocked to the bottom of the map stuck there to lose

Two loving hours of this poo poo

I don't know how to move about the map without jumping or dashing I wasn't trained for this

I don't quite get how you've managed to not get this done after 2 hours of effort, what route are you taking? If you take the route on the right out of the tunnel, you can basically get out of the basin with a single jump, so wait at that jump until you get your jump back momentarily. After that, just give enemies a real wide berth.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Or you can go left and take the long way around which requires no jumps

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The first one and a half was being drunk last night and this theory minutes has been trying to remember what I was doing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

verbal enema posted:

The first one and a half was being drunk last night and this theory minutes has been trying to remember what I was doing

Oh, yeah, I can see how it would happen in that situation.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ok no now it's real 40 loving minutes this makes no sense at all

E: I got it let's pretend that this never happened

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 15, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have Emil story questions that I kinda forgot about until now.

Why was he in a robot anyway? Like... is he the only one in one of em? He didn't even know why he was in there himself and that detail is just kind of confusing me in hindsight.

Also isn't he and his clone army TECHNICALLY human? I mean dudes a skeleton ball so maybe it's hard to argue that with the machines/androids but I find it kind of funny that he's the thing androids are trying to protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Beginning of C: I came real close to loving that part up because I fell into the big hole and had to try twice to get out.