Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Generic American posted:

Didn't that RPS guy also hate The Witcher 3? I swear I recognize his name from something like that.

He did. He also couldn't work out how tooltips work in Stellaris and defended the Polygon DOOM video as a "Hey, game reviewers don't HAVE to be good at games"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Evil Canadian posted:

Uh mass effect is like the definition of pulp sci fi, maybe you just don't understand the term. Pulp doesn't insinuate bad or shlock but more to describe an era of the fiction. Sexy alien ladies, lost technology, bad guy robots and exploring the unknown are all big features of pulp sci fi.

Paging Dan Didio, Dan Didio to the Mass Effect thread.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pulp is not camp. But Mass Effect as a whole is a lot less pulp and a lot more camp, right down to the production values.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

the panacea posted:

Anyone know if it will be possible to unlock the game with a US VPN on Tuesday if I bought it from the EU store?

I don't. But I can tell you that a couple years ago EA cancelled my preorder for FPS Syndicate because it didn't clear the censors in pre R18+ videogame land Australia.

So while you might find a workaround they definitely care about regional locks and I'm disinclined to gently caress with that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

Pulp is not camp. But Mass Effect as a whole is a lot less pulp and a lot more camp, right down to the production values.

That's not true at all though. All the original Mass Effect games in their time were blockbuster AAA releases and looked it. Mass Effect 2 in particular still looks and plays great for a game that came out in 2010, and competed with AC2 and Bioshock for visuals. There's a lot of revisionist handwaving to defend the cheap-looking production values of Andromeda by saying that Mass Effect never looked good, but that's really not the case.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
John Walker aside, GB's Brad Shoemaker and GS's Peter Brown weren't really very positive about what they could play in the current Bombcast either. Especially the interface was called out for being bad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That's not true at all though. All the original Mass Effect games in their time were blockbuster AAA releases and looked it. Mass Effect 2 in particular still looks and plays great for a game that came out in 2010, and competed with AC2 and Bioshock for visuals. There's a lot of revisionist handwaving to defend the cheap-looking production values of Andromeda by saying that Mass Effect never looked good, but that's really not the case.

:ssh: Camp can still look good and be enjoyable. It isn't synonymous with bad.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This thread is synonymous with bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Serf posted:

Well you're saying a bunch of words and I don't think you understand what they mean. "Camp" is associated with low production values, low fidelity, generally a seat-of-the-pants operation. This in no way descibes the Mass Effect trilogy, with its unprecedented roster of voice actors, millions of dollars in marketing, and very large development team. Certain elements may seem campy, but Mass Effect, at least until now, has always been a leader in visuals and production quality.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

This is key and a good reminder.

Case in point: the very excellent Turbo Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFlZ6pVtnv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8FDlaET88

and the loving amazing music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipO1K24DE90

I love the soundtrack to this movie.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Darth Windu posted:

Ah, weak, pc games.

The same applies to EA Access on Xbone.

Serf
May 5, 2011

DancingShade posted:

This is key and a good reminder.

Case in point: the very excellent Turbo Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFlZ6pVtnv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8FDlaET88

and the loving amazing music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipO1K24DE90

I love the soundtrack to this movie.

poo poo, this is exactly what I was thinking of but I couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

Mymla posted:

This thread is synonymous with bad.

I think everyone can agree with this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

poo poo, this is exactly what I was thinking of but I couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

I think everyone can agree with this.

Turbo glove fist bump.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Turbo Kid is art.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

It's like the list that was given: sexy alien ladies, lost technology, bad guy robots and exploring the unknown.

How many sci-fi releases don't feature those things?

When I think pulp, I think a rockjaw'd all-American boy, clad in a bright orange spacesuit with a big bubble helm, pointing a laser gun in the vague direction of a bug-eyed alien monster. Also on the book cover is a woman, fainting or swooning or some combination thereof. She is probably wearing a revealing outfit of some sort.

It's like people confuse soft sci-fi with pulp-era sci-fi, or they're using the term incorrectly. Mass Effect isn't hard sci-fi and it's not exactly interested in really examining the implications of its setting or pondering the philosophy of some future mankind... but to call it pulp is very inaccurate. But just because it's not hard sci-fi (or thinking sci-fi) it gets put under the pulp umbrella? I don't get it.

Mass Effect is just a middle of the road space opera story that wears its influences on its sleeve. It was very good at setting up rules and guidelines that helped the setting work around the gameplay conceits (the Relays, for example), but they've been gradually eroded until we get to Andromeda where big chunks of the setting are just missing.

Andromeda might be the most pulpy Mass Effect has got. It certainly seems to echo the general spirit of 'who cares about the how and why of this setting, SCOTT RYDER must save the day in the ANDROMEDA GALAXY from the evil ROCK ALIEN KETT' that a lot of pulp stories seem to adhere to. But it'd still be a strange designation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mass Effect is just plain jane science fiction, not space opera or pulp or any other weird terms people use to describe it. The series certainly draws inspiration from many different sources, but at its core it attempts to explore the relationship between people and technology, which is as traditionally sci-fi as you can get. Neither space operas or pulp sci-fi are concerned with the tech itself as an element of the story, it's just a backdrop.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'd say its whatever star wars is, just with mass effect fields and relays instead of the force and hyper drives.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Whenever someone says "Actually, Mass Effect is supposed to be" I just fill in the rest with "a power fantasy that makes me feel good". 95% accuracy ratio.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mass Effect is not really like Star Wars because unlike SW it does concern itself with questions about mankind's relationship to technology. Look at Babylon 5 + TNG, where Mass Effect clearly draws much of its own inspiration, and you'll see it's pretty much straight down the middle science fiction. Why can't people accept that it's just plain regular old sci-fi!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Andromeda seems more Star Trek than Star Wars. Which I tend to think of as a positive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Please don't post selfies itt.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Avalerion posted:

I'd say its whatever star wars is, just with mass effect fields and relays instead of the force and hyper drives.

Yeah, we shouldn't forget the genesis of ME in the first place: To replace the Star Wars RPGs. And "hero and his group of ragtag friends save the galaxy" is the most pulpy concept there is.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Was making Mass Effect really because of the Star Wars license or did they just want their own franchise and world to tool around with like Dragon Age?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Jason and the Argonauts is extremely pulp.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Please don't post selfies itt.

he didn't, because that's a photo of me

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

Was making Mass Effect really because of the Star Wars license or did they just want their own franchise and world to tool around with like Dragon Age?

I imagine it's both.

Pretty sure you don't want to saddle your franchise and financial success to the whim of someone else's IP (specifically George Lucas pre Disney buyout) when you're paying out the arse for licensing and don't have creative freedom.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Decius posted:

John Walker aside, GB's Brad Shoemaker and GS's Peter Brown weren't really very positive about what they could play in the current Bombcast either. Especially the interface was called out for being bad.

The interface has looked like garbage in every screenshot and video, I'm not surprised it's terrible to use, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

Jason and the Argonauts is extremely pulp.

Pride & Prejudice is my favorite space opera.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect is not really like Star Wars because unlike SW it does concern itself with questions about mankind's relationship to technology. Look at Babylon 5 + TNG, where Mass Effect clearly draws much of its own inspiration, and you'll see it's pretty much straight down the middle science fiction. Why can't people accept that it's just plain regular old sci-fi!!

Here is a very absurd hypothesis: It might be you are wrong and the many people calling ME a pulpy Space Opera might be correct? It looks like a pulpy Space Opera, swims like a pulpy Space Opera and walks like a pulpy Space Opera. It might be a pulpy Space Opera after all. One that might sometimes rise into asking the most common questions of SF that exist ("when is AI human?" and "are aliens really so different from us?" "can I gently caress it?"), but in it's heart the trilogy was basically something that could have run as serial in the Thirties. Andromeda does indeed seem more like Star Trek than Star Wars though.

Edit: Babylon 5 is so very much a Space Opera though, it could very well be the definition of it.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Wow, it's like looking into a mirror!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Milky Moor posted:

Separated twins.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

You could probably tell the core story of the Mass Effect franchise as a series of Greek plays.

It doesn't mean you'd be right if you called it a Greek play. Even if "many people" did.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pictured: Literally An Accurate Depiction Of Mass Effect

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Milky Moor posted:

Pictured: Literally An Accurate Depiction Of Mass Effect

If you put Garrus in the background and put the blond woman in a Quarian suit it basically is.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The interface has looked like garbage in every screenshot and video, I'm not surprised it's terrible to use, too.

Yeah, after playing Inquisition on PC the first thing I looked for in the Andromeda videos is if they remembered a "loot all" button this time.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Asari: Yellow Peril for the modern age?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Decius posted:

If you put Garrus in the background and put the blond woman in a Quarian suit it basically is.

Well, sure, if you ignore the whole context behind it.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Yeah, after playing Inquisition on PC the first thing I looked for in the Andromeda videos is if they remembered a "loot all" button this time.

They did, bless their little hearts.

Milky Moor posted:

Well, sure, if you ignore the whole context behind it.

What exactly is the definition of 'pulp'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"Now, people have called me crazy for saying Mass Effect is Shakespearean. But if we take Romeo and make him a Turian and if we swap Juliet out for an Asari, well, the similarities are quite astounding."