Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Morand posted:

Not to mention the sloth trick where you could declare end of turn, heal, and then do all your sidesteps, perplexes and outwits.

this is the exact kind of poo poo that makes these changes good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

I AM THE MOON posted:

this is the exact kind of poo poo that makes these changes good

I'm sad that poison is getting hard hosed but I can't disagree with most of the other stuff being done so far.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Morand posted:

I'm sad that poison is getting hard hosed but I can't disagree with most of the other stuff being done so far.

Am I right in feeling like damage reducers are becoming less common?

Poison being toned down is a godsend for all these pieces who rely on Super Senses or Combat Reflexes or something.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Rules Update Number 4:

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/08/heroclix-2017-rules-4-as-a-free-action/

In which free actions are discussed. I don't see any power dickpunching here.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Morand posted:

Rules Update Number 4:

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/08/heroclix-2017-rules-4-as-a-free-action/

In which free actions are discussed. I don't see any power dickpunching here.

I'm not sure how I feel about the following line:

"Do note that now you can activate the same power more than once in a turn, as long as it’s activated in different ways (costed, as FREE, at no cost)."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Modern Age rotation coming on June 1st. Mostly it's routine; NFAOS is now the oldest set allowed, everything before that is Golden Age. And then they drop the bomb: all ATAs are rotating out and they're not making any more of them ever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Modern Age rotation coming on June 1st. Mostly it's routine; NFAOS is now the oldest set allowed, everything before that is Golden Age. And then they drop the bomb: all ATAs are rotating out and they're not making any more of them ever.

drat.

The Thunderbolts theme just became less popular, I guess.

Edit: For the price, it would've been nice to keep the Hank Pym set modern for a little while longer. I was thinking of getting that at some point.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Aww. I like the ATA's and their various dumb effects.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

good

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Liking the new set so far. But why did they make an X-Force centric set and not include Forget-Me-Not?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Father Wendigo posted:

Liking the new set so far. But why did they make an X-Force centric set and not include Forget-Me-Not?
I guess they...

forgot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The loss of ATAs is a mixed bag; on the one hand I loved them, they helped fill out points for awkward team builds (I'm looking at you original six Thunderbolts) and had some cool effects that enhanced certain characters to being actually playable. Yet they were also a massive crutch for team building, with players eschewing one or more figure to squeeze on an ATA (I know a guy who would rather never play X-Force again if he couldn't use Uncanny, despite it being his favorite keyword by far), and could be ridiculously brutal (Odin's Beard, All My teammates, Original sinister six, Hand). Ultimately I think it's for the best.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

One thing the loss of ATAs will do is discourage theme play. You won't see the teams anymore built to be able to take advantage of an ATA except in Golden, which assumes they even keep rules for them so they don't go the way of archenemies.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/10/heroclix-2017-rules-5-outwit-use-and-possess/

DAAAAAAMN. Every outwitter is now Nick Fury. You can outwit Jakeem, Super Skrull, Trait granted powers, Resource Granted Powers, Entity granted powers, poo poo THAT APPEARS LATER ON THEIR DIAL

That's a hell of a buff!

Also introducing a new thing PROTECTED:THING. In which said thing can't be used against you. PC/QUINT will now grant PROTECTED:OUTWIT

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/10/heroclix-2017-rules-5-outwit-use-and-possess/

DAAAAAAMN. Every outwitter is now Nick Fury. You can outwit Jakeem, Super Skrull, Trait granted powers, Resource Granted Powers, Entity granted powers, poo poo THAT APPEARS LATER ON THEIR DIAL
It's the least obvious facet, but the most interesting one, as far as I'm concerned. If you know you're going to knock someone onto something that you don't want them to have but your attacker will be in the way when it happens, you can pre-emptively outwit it. If you're up against a power picker you can pre-emptively deny them poo poo that'd mess you up next turn. It's a whole new goddamn world and I'm excited for it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

That's a hell of a buff!

Also introducing a new thing PROTECTED:THING. In which said thing can't be used against you. PC/QUINT will now grant PROTECTED:OUTWIT

Well, poo poo.

I hope every store gets 100 PACs to hand out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably banking on everyone buying the starters right?

Hope the people I play with get them cause I don't really want to have to explain all this poo poo. To be honest parsing some of it is a bit much for me, usually gets better once I've got actual stuff in hand though.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Combat Abilities Don't Exist Anymore.

I wonder how that's going to shake out.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So today I had one of those completely absurd moments that just make Heroclix completely worth playing which was awesome cause I have to quit the game for awhile (I'm gonna be a daddy on Tuesday!). So if you hate these write ups this'll be the last one for a bit!

Event was 600 points no figures on your Force can be over 150 points, no resources.

I do the foot clan because I paid out the nose for these loving Shredders and I was gonna use all of them at least once.

Shredder Clone with resurrection
Claw Shredder
Mini-Shredder
Shiva Shredder
2 Dual Katana Foot Ninjas
2 Katar Foot Ninjas
1 Shuriken Foot Ninja
Flash ID with JW 35 point Flash
Batman and Justice ID cards that I never used.

The ID cards were added solely to provide additional mobility and defense to my team. I can use batmans inspiration to Barrier or smoke cloud and he can TK any of my elites. Justice can TK. Flash gives +3 speed so I can run faster to base you for the elite trait.

Round 1 versus the Serpent Society
Basically every single serpent society figure from the new Deadpool set and the SFOSM set.

This was a game of punching and the Shredders punched harder. The elite traits really messed him up and he was doing himself no favors with his asp positioning as he could have shut me down ridiculously hard with her. I lost 2 Ninjas but got his team.

Round 2 versus the "Thunderbolts"

Baron Zemo who gives thunderbolts +1 AV and sidestep
Baron Zemo who gives MOE figures the Tbolt keyword
CW Ultron on her lower click.
Jackhammer? (A quake guy from the new Deadpool set)
Nighthawk (non prime)
Constrictor
Tbolts on everyone
Harley's Hammer

I think that was it.

I won map roll and chose the black mercy garden because as much poo poo as I give Andy about the bridge, that map is my bridge. I play it a lot.

I chose the +1 to his combat values for nighthawk because screw my dudes getting messed up in hindering. He also chose Avengers Initiative as his tbolted TA.

First rounds were a slow sidestep and me slowly realizing that his Nighthawk could EE most of the drat board. He moved up and I sidestepped figuring I'd have to eat an EE but he cleared. I had the clone call for help and pull out Flash and with his +3 speed inspiration got my 3 elites right in his face for damage and knocked his nighthawk onto a blades click. He regenerated with ultron but had to burn 2 theme probs to get a good result. He then pulled out his trick of using Nighthawks trait and Zemo to give out 13 AV's and managed to ko shiva and worm him behind his main line. On my turn more elite tricks happened but it was hard for me to hurt multiples as we were both in mostly straight lines. I did KO Ultron though and hurt his guys some more. Shiva Shredder tried to flurry but missed both attacks and ended up dead for real. The Ninjas came up at that time and started chopping with their dual katana and katars. He did worm Claw Shredder and move him behind his line but that helped me a lot as I had flurry and giant reach and started to do crazy damage to his back lines. He got another ninja before it ended but that was it.

Round 3 and this is the round where the amazing happens.

It was against Andy and his Shield Squad

Balls of Fury
Fitz who spawns hoverbots.
FF Skye
Maria Hill
Agent Coulson
Agent Ward
3 Paranormal Investigators
Civil War Hawkeye

Shredder declared one of those investigators as his duel of twisted honor and he... well he took it VERY seriously.

Andy won map and chose the old bridge so that there would be a large wide open area for him to shoot my face off. He had Maria fly up a bunch of guys into hindering so that balls was behind some guys on an edge. I had karai call out flash and all my elites and the clone moved down to base him and did major damage. The mini Shredder was able to be carried and then base Nick to do that all important first click. In the duel of twisted honor, Shredder struck first with an elite click on the investigator.

Nick fury hit mini Shredder for 5 with perplex and empower. Shiva Shredder got hurt quite badly by amazing rolls by ward. Hawkeye had less luck. Because of Maria I couldn't push my elites and tried to sidestep. Was unable to break except for Shredder who went around to deal with others, content with ignoring his investigator. Said investigator proceeded to shoot Shredder right in the back for 1. Shiva Shredder was KO'd and wormed back as was mini Shredder. The clone tried to flurry blades skye but missed both attacks. Fury had pushed to get back onto a can't use click and that caused Shiva Shredder to get KO'd for real as he took away my CR and ward punched him to death. Claw was able to sidestep and exploit for the KO though and ward fell right after to other eliting by mini Shredder. Coulson took a shot at the clone but missed. And then Skye tried to punch him. She missed her first attack, but there was one person who had prob on their dial who could see her and that was the investigator that Shredder has chosen for the dual. He re-rolls that attack into a critical hit. Shredder is knocked back and we are dying laughing. Claw, Clone, and Mini then tore up his team and KO'd everything except for 1 very particular investigator. Andy was about to push him for a why not attack until I pointed at him and said "Do not push that guy. He has unfinished business with Shredder and I won't elite damage you" Andy cleared and Shredder moved up to base him choosing not to elite him.

That investigator then punched Shredder onto regen. I decided him regenerating was too boring and cleared. The investigator then KO'd Shredder and he turned into a shark. I'd like to say that he then had more of an epic duel but the Shark straight up ate him in one attack.

It doesn't make it any less hilarious though and was an awesome way to end the day.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

S.H.I.E.L.D. training emphasizes honor :colbert:

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/13/heroclix-2017-rules-6-objects/

All characters can now pick up and use light objects in object attacks.
Objects are no longer hindering for movement or line of fire with one exception, If you end your turn on a heavy you "Hide" and put a hindering marker down but only if standard or tiny sized
No more Ultra Heavies, no more ultra lights.
Super Strength only lets you pick up heavies, and all attacks do Knockback, whether or not you have an object.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I am fine with all of those changes. Although I will have to try to kill someone with the basketball while it's still a thing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/13/heroclix-2017-rules-6-objects/

All characters can now pick up and use light objects in object attacks.
Objects are no longer hindering for movement or line of fire with one exception, If you end your turn on a heavy you "Hide" and put a hindering marker down but only if standard or tiny sized
No more Ultra Heavies, no more ultra lights.
Super Strength only lets you pick up heavies, and all attacks do Knockback, whether or not you have an object.

I won't miss ultra lights, though I kind of liked ultra heavies. But, you know, balance.

But I like the idea that giants and colossals won't get hindering bonuses anymore.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So the WF Supergirl SR arrived today and I hadn't noticed she had the Superman Enemy TA. Seems really weird, they don't give that out to the Apokolips guys much (last one was the son of Darkseid Superman chase figure) and there's not anyone who can thematically team up with her, in a literal game sense or from the comic apart from the quite bad Granny Goodness figures.

All these rules changes are kinda cool, still not sure how much of them we'll adopt but it's always cool to have old figures gain new relevancy and such.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 14, 2017

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Am I the only one who thinks that despite their protests, the way they're working objects as hindering is indeed unnecessarily fiddly? Why not just say that Hide makes the objects that occupy the square(s) a character occupies hinder line of fire. That wording doesn't make them hindering terrain but it does let them give cover and activate Stealth, plus it would keep the rule text simple as well as not having an asinine dance where you only constructively put down markers.

Also, Morand, congratulations on the baby! I must warn you, though: get shelving. Fill your home with it. Once that kid becomes mobile on its own, nothing is safe. NOTHING. You remember the bit from the original Tremors with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward telling that guy to get high up and he gets on a tire and they tell him "No, no, you've got to get higher!" and then a graboid promptly eats him? Like dogs, kids are basically that but with your stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that despite their protests, the way they're working objects as hindering is indeed unnecessarily fiddly? Why not just say that Hide makes the objects that occupy the square(s) a character occupies hinder line of fire. That wording doesn't make them hindering terrain but it does let them give cover and activate Stealth, plus it would keep the rule text simple as well as not having an asinine dance where you only constructively put down markers.
It's fiddly in the specific case, but in doing so it frees up so much of the game to be clear and not have stupid corner cases every which way. The way you put down hindering terrain markers to hide is off-kilter, but as soon as you do that all the regular rules take over and there's nothing else you need to know. Objects aren't terrain, terrain is terrain, terrain rules can take care of themselves. Easy as pie.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 14, 2017

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Today's rules were pretty boss. I agree that it's overly complicated at first for such a simple concept, but just saying "doing x causes hindering terrain" simplifies so many issues I've seen new players struggle with. And Super Strength can now knockback, holy smokes!! I've been wanting that to happen since I started playing. They should probably add a clause that it's only for close or object attacks though, as presently they'd cause knockback from range attacks ("You see, Rulk is so drat strong that his gun fires punch bullets which will send you flying." Wait that sounds awesome)

Thus far the only ones I'm on the fence about are restricting Leadership action total bonuses and getting to both Outwit Traits and pre-Outwit, having both seems like shifting Outwit way to far to one extreme instead of actually balancing it.

And congrats on the future tiny Morand soon to be running around!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

It's fiddly in the specific case, but in doing so it frees up so much of the game to be clear and not have stupid corner cases every which way. The way you put down hindering terrain markers to hide is off-kilter, but as soon as you do that all the regular rules take over and there's nothing else you need to know. Objects aren't terrain, terrain is terrain, terrain rules can take care of themselves. Easy as pie.

See, my contention is that the whole "put down markers but don't actually put down markers because we'll just pretend you did" is kind of asinine. See, if it read something more like this, it would seem to me to be much cleaner both mechanically and in terms of wording.

quote:

Hide
When it's not your turn, if this character has [STARBURST] or [TINY], if it occupies the same square as a heavy object that object hinders line of fire to this character unless at the end of your turn you said it doesn't.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Here's an event for this week:

quote:

Celebrate American comics' long-standing history of flag-waving with the latest & greatest of all, Miss America Chavez, a hero from an alternate universe who was first introduced in the Gillen/McKelvie run on Young Avengers. "She's beauty, she's grace, she'll punch you in the face." Issue #1 of her new solo series, "America," is now on stands!

- Bring a 300-point Golden Age HeroClix force.
- At least one character on this force must have a name containing "America," "U.S.A.," or "Patriot." If one such character on your force K.O.s an opposing such character, the character on your force modifies its defense by +1 until your next turn.
- All damage dealt to characters with the Hydra keyword is increased by 1.

- This force may include one (1) Special Object or ID Card. Splitlip (Fear Itself #301) may not be included on your force.
- Equipped Dials, Resources, D20s, Constructs, Team Bases, Bystander Tokens, Event Dials, Battlefield Conditions and Feats may not be included when building your force.
- ATAs, and Characters which produce Special Objects or Bystander Tokens after forces are revealed (or during the game), may be used per their normal rules.
- Maps for this event are limited to 2’x3’ WizKids HeroClix maps with modern colored terrain boundary markings. A selection of Heroclix maps is available at the venue; however, if there is a particular map you would like to use, please bring it with you.

I thought over a few teams in my head/HCRealms, but after a bit of deliberation, I'm going with:

- CA:CW Starter Captain America - 95
- I'm with Cap +5
- CA:CW Ant-Man - 55
- I'm with Cap +5
- SFoSM Power Man & Iron Fist - 50
- CW OP Wasp - 70
- Secret Avengers ATA (5) x4
Total: 300

I think the plan is to shoot for an outdoor map, and just find different fun ways to make this team do things. Ant-Man should be able to make Cap tiny on the first turn, so that Luke/Danny can tote him around. After that, Cap will hopefully go hog wild with his Leadership special. The only question is if the main GF set Cap would be a better fit, with his stat bonus.

I thought about a US Agent, Agent Venom, Agent 13, SHIELD Field Agent team - but the team above just feels more fun.

I wish I could figure out something clever using the Great Eagles from that one Hobbit set.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Personally I'm more for removing tokens than stat bumps, though for as punchy as that team is I'd opt for Avengers Respnse Unit over Secret Avengers; tiny dudes with sidestep make great mobile buffers for your close attackers.

Next Tuesday is a reassembling the Triforce event: 300 points, three characters, and three special objects in the middle of the map. Each object picked up on 4-6 roll gives you +1 attack but halves your speed, and if you get all three you win the game.

I'm trying to think of what figures can move themselves or another character for free, mind control friendlies, have high speed and/or Sidestep, that kind of thing.

One Masters of Evil team I kind of dig (which admittedly eschews any of the above stuff) is Tiger Shark, Hydro Man, and Yellowjacket. Yellowjacket carries Hydro out, with Sidesteps he can move 14 squares, then drop a water marker under Tiger Shark after he moves to let him sidestep a second time for a 12 square distance.

I'm also partial to a Sinister Syndicate team of Aloysha Kraven, the new Kraven, and Swarm. Gulyadkin gets to move up every turn, Kraven can Hunt somebody then get carried up by Swarm and move whenever his prey does, and Swarm just throws bees at people (and also maybe the bees can grab triforce pieces).

I could also do something with Spiral and the Uncanny ATA; like her and the new fast forces Fantomex and some third figure, doesn't really matter who. It basically goes: make portals, make EVA, wait a turn, move through portals, starting collecting triforce.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 15, 2017

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They announced the next DC set at some convention or event called Gama? Harley Quinn and the Gotham Girls? Secret six, suicide squad and birds of prey subthemes and it looks like it has some figures from DCs bombshells books as well.

Showed off some sculpts from the elseworlds, what if, Thor and Wonder Woman sets as well. DKR Batman, definitely going to have to get that.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Hello friends! I'm looking at getting in to HeroClix along with my 6 year-old son. This was spurred on by him finding my old Mage Knight figures and being intrigued by them along with seeing HeroClix at the local comic book shop. So I'm here at 5 in the morning with some questions!

1) I've read the getting started article on the HeroClix website and it says to start with a starter pack. When I check their listed products it doesn't show any Marvel starter packs. Is there a suggested starter pack that I should purchase? My son really digs Spider-man and the X-men. He's not a big fan of DC so I'd probably stay away from that.

2) Am I going to be shafted on playing in tournaments due to starting my collection so late?

3) I'm not going to have to break the bank ala Warhammer 40k to get a nice collection for the two of us am I?

4) What are some other essentials that I should purchase to go with the game?

I'll dumb the rules down while teaching my son how everything works, he likes playing games and picks up pretty well on tabletop concepts. We have our own Lego minifigs game that kinda works like MageKnight/HeroClix so I'm confident he'll do okay playing. Thanks in advance for any input!

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Hello friends! I'm looking at getting in to HeroClix along with my 6 year-old son. This was spurred on by him finding my old Mage Knight figures and being intrigued by them along with seeing HeroClix at the local comic book shop. So I'm here at 5 in the morning with some questions!

1) I've read the getting started article on the HeroClix website and it says to start with a starter pack. When I check their listed products it doesn't show any Marvel starter packs. Is there a suggested starter pack that I should purchase? My son really digs Spider-man and the X-men. He's not a big fan of DC so I'd probably stay away from that.

2) Am I going to be shafted on playing in tournaments due to starting my collection so late?

3) I'm not going to have to break the bank ala Warhammer 40k to get a nice collection for the two of us am I?

I'll dumb the rules down while teaching my son how everything works, he likes playing games and picks up pretty well on tabletop concepts. We have our own Lego minifigs game that kinda works like MageKnight/HeroClix so I'm confident he'll do okay playing. Thanks in advance for any input!

1: You can pick up a Captain America: Winter Soldier starter off of Amazon, probably, which will include a rulebook and PAC, but they're getting updated in a few months, when new starters come out. You can also pick up a Fast Forces pack to get started, and they're actually pretty decent these days. There are going to be two Fast Force packs for the most recent Deadpool set- one X-Force, and one Mercs for Money. They're both pretty good.

2: It really depends on the venue. There are places where people play casually and having a limited selection won't be too bad, but then there are places where people play like it's Worlds all day every day. You can probably get some CUR runs of recent sets for a reasonable price on eBay or the hcrealms sell thread.

3: Only if you really want to. A friend of mine gets by perfectly fine buying a single brick (~125), playing in sealed events, and piecemeal buying anything he really wants that he's missing. It's definitely nowhere near Warhams.

4: You want maps. They used to pack maps in with Fast Forces and Starters, but they stopped that a while ago, so it's harder to get them. You can buy some of the folded paper maps off of eBay or Amazon, probably, but WizKids has also released some nice neoprene maps. The WizKids Office and Factory are really good, but they're obviously more expensive. You'll also want something to store these things in. Various friends use tackle boxes or wargame cases. I use a combination of shoeboxes and plastic storage drawers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mikemo Tyson posted:

1) Screw the starter packs. They come with rulebooks and PACs that are widlly out of date; you want the rules linked to in the first post of this thread, along with all the rules posts further linked to that aren't reflected in the rulebook but are nonetheless official rules now. Yes, that's confusing and stupid. The good news is that new rules are coming in June, almost certainly with a new rulebook. The main benefit to the starter packs is, I guess, that they come with a map and dice, but both suck. You're better off getting fast forces. Spider-Man and the X-men have both gotten fast forces packs recently.

2) Oh, you're going to get ruined at tournaments, but not for the reason you think. You're new and don't know the rules well if at all, let alone how to put them into practice. You're going to get skunked again and again. It's a learning experience; just tell people ahead of time that you're new. The cool ones will help you out with what to do and point out to you what you missed and what they're doing now and how you could have avoided it. (This is also a good way to test a venue to see if it's worth going to. You want a venue with cool players.) There are also sealed events where your lack of a collection won't play against you, because everyone is going to be limited to what they pull from their boosters that day (as opposed to constrcuted, where you bring a team you built ahead of time from your collection). You'll still get beat, of course, but sealed events are the new players' great equalizer.

3) No, for a certain definition of "nice". You can get CUR (common, uncommon, and rare) sets of recent releases for really very little money on eBay. Super rares will cost more, increasing with desirability of the character and playability. Chases will cost even more. Primes will cost depending on rarity, desirability, and playability. Cherry-picking the ones you really really want will keep things within your budget pretty easily.

If you intend to go forward in the future, boosters cost about $13 each, booster "bricks" (10 boosters in sealed packaging) are about $90, cases (two bricks in a sealed case, this is how they're shipped to venues from WizKids; reputable sellers will send you the unopened case) about $150.

Also you didn't ask but here's a good place to segue into this useful information: Each booster has five pieces in it. 2 will be commons, 0-2 will be uncommons, 0-1 will be rares. Super rares occur once per every 3 or 4 boosters, chases once per 20 boosters.

4) You'll need maps -- most venues will have extras you can have, and they receive new ones generally with each new set release and during storyline events, which they'll then give out to the players. You can also buy them on eBay for fairly cheap, and if nothing else, starter sets will have a map. You will also need 2d6 per player; you referenced WH40k so I'm guessing you have plenty of those. You'll need tokens of some sort to mark characters who have taken an action; most players use either glass beads (available at any gaming store in bulk) or poker chips which may or may not be customized, but anything works; I've seen players use spare change and that's perfectly okay. WizKids is pleased to sell you token packs, but they generally kinda suck I think. You'll need smoke/barrier/special markers, which, ugh, come in starter sets. Okay fine you probably need a starter set. You need a string for tricky line of fire questions. Most players have retractable strings they keep for that purpose, I'm guessing a WH40k player has one already.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This was an actual event from an actual store in "honor" of Martin Luther King Day.

"The build total for this tournament is 500 points (Silver Age - carded sets only; any universe). The highest value piece on your force must have the Leadership ability either traited or showing on the opening click. This piece is also designated as your force's "martyr". When this piece is KO'd, all remaining friendly pieces have thier attack value modified by +1 until the end of your next turn. No team bases or resources allowed. Relics may be used."

Nice tact there, folks.

This is the same venue I decided I was not going to go back to after I went 2-0-1 in a tournament and was declared to have finished second to a guy I beat, because he had more points than I did. I kept asking "points is usually just a tiebreaker, did the records not matter in this one for some reason?" and they just kept saying 'we plugged the numbers into the Wizkids system in these are the results and we have to do it the way they dictate it."

I was also under the impression that there were No Ties Allowed in Heroclix, so I had even won the roll-off, but they insisted they had to report that it was a tie.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today is apparently Reveal Everything day. A bunch of information came out of GAMA 2017; highlights:
  • Next DC set is Harley Quinn and the Gotham Girls with Suicide Squad, Secret Six, and Female Furies subtheme
  • Modern legal Star Trek: Away Team, a 5 booster full set based on TOS characters with more coming if it sells well
  • Harley Quinn also has Bombshells and Thrillkiller
  • Mighty Thor will be the first set with the new rules
  • Elseworlds will have Tangent, Justice Riders (yes), Leatherwing (hell yes) and mother fuckin' Dark Knight Returns (oh hell yes)
  • What If not as cool but does have Runaways
  • The Wonder Woman gravity feed has Raven and Starfire for no apparent reason
  • Guardians of the Galaxy v2 will have Baby Groot

New Rules post, about carrying. "Everyone can carry anyone smaller than them" has been codified into an inherent ability, and you modify your speed by -1 per person carried rather than a flat -2 no matter what, and they've tweaked the rules so that carried characters don't exist in a weird off-the-board limbo while you're carrying them. "Carry" as we know it is going away and being replaced with the passenger symbol that vehicles already had, which just means "Basic Carry, except they can be your size as long as they don't fly". Which means that Tiny characters are losing their ability to take free rides when fliers carry someone else, since now they'll count against the passenger limit. (The flight symbol grants Passenger: 1 now.) Also a change: You can't carry anyone if you're holding an object. No big changes, really. And then they list all the inherent abilities, and sneak in a bomb.

quote:

Object Pick Up
Once per move, this character may either pick up one light object (holding it) or put down one held light object in a square it moves through or adjacent to.

CLOSE Object Action
CLOSE: If this character is holding an object, make a close attack and modify damage +1 if the object is light or +2 if the object is heavy. Immediately after the attack resolves, KO the object.

RANGE Object Action
RANGE: Minimum range value 6. If this character is holding an object, make a range attack targeting a single character that, instead of normal damage, deals 2 damage if the object is light or 3 damage if the object is heavy. Immediately after the attack resolves, KO the object.
SIDEBAR: These two actions are known as the “object actions”. Effects looking for an “object attack” identify when a character makes an attack using either of these actions.
Ranged object attacks target normally instead of targetting a square and you use your range with minimum range 6 no matter the type of object. That's big. Close object attacks require CLOSE to activate now. That's huge. You can hold your objects back now, you don't automatically smash the object over the head of the first guy you attack. You can just hang onto the object and choose the time you want to use it, so you'll get full value out of it and the strategy of basing someone with lesser figures to make them waste their held object doesn't work any more. On the other hand, needing to give the objects their own action to trigger them means you can't do HSS drivebys with an object any more.

Oh and Guardians v2 Drax got previewed but he kinda sucks.

edit: Oh hey, no big deal, but I'm like 99% sure that's Elijah Snow. PlanetaryClix!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 15, 2017

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I hope to get enough Shatners to run an all Shatner team.

And then hopefully they'll make those black/white guys and I can have two Frank Gorshin Heroclix.

EDIT: I also want Vic Tayback and Joan Collins clix.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Daaaamn, that In-Betweener is boss as hell.

In other news, I successfully finally traded for Jakeem Thunder, which means I'm just SR Green Lantern away from having all the JSA pieces again :dance:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

HA! They did it! They did indeed do Punisher as Sorcerer Supreme as I'd suspected they would. Who's that Dr. Strange with the funny mask, though?

With the bombs they keep dropping with the rules changes, mark my words: they're going to simplify things to the point where you can use HSS and Exploit Weakness, Quake, or PsyBlast together. In striving for simplicity they seem to be going for overkill just so they know it's dead.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

HA! They did it! They did indeed do Punisher as Sorcerer Supreme as I'd suspected they would. Who's that Dr. Strange with the funny mask, though?
Tony Stark, Sorceror Supreme! Two of him, for some reason.

• Locked thread