Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alacron posted:

Whether it's niche or not is not any sort of issue.

This is the Internet Critic Discussion thread.

Popular Internet Critic Jontron goes on racist diatribe and has meltdown.

People are discussing the meltdown of Internet Critic Jontron.

This is literally what the thread was made for.

I dunno man, the dragging a game down thread has people flipping out whenever someone posts a thing that they think drags a game down for them. Especially if its dark souls

What I'm saying is Jontron is the Dark Souls of internet critics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Leal posted:

I find it ironic that someone who wants to be a proponent of free speech will stifle this freedom that every person deserves and is readily granted in this great country of the United States Of America.

It's almost as if people who use free speech to shout hateful things at people are actually huge loving hypocrites

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm kind of tired of this pseudo-newscycle, just tell me who's gonna get skewered next in niche nerd media.

Count Jackula used "Autism" as an insult, and Hagan replied with (paraphrasing since Twitter search blows) "As someone who is married to someone on the spectrum, gently caress you. Find a different insult."

It isn't quite "kill all non-whites", but it's drama?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In extremely wearing a Nazi uniform and antisemitic signs voice: Lmao have you heard of Godwin's law? You idiot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jackula was already being dumb about the pootypie hubbub, so that sounds like they're just keeping on right now.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
So I heard you like Youtube content creator drama! I saw Digibro talked about earlier in the thread, so here, have a video of him self-destructing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkkminwseh4

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Mischalaniouse posted:

So I heard you like Youtube content creator drama! I saw Digibro talked about earlier in the thread, so here, have a video of him self-destructing:

Boy.

Uploading a just-shy-of-thirty-minute video about how you think the other anime youtube reviewers seems like an incredibly silly idea at the best of times.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah I'm not watching that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mischalaniouse posted:

"Watch as premier anime critic Digibro slam tons of lesser youtubers for up to a half hour!" Like seriously? What type of person gets so narcissistic over being an anime reviewer on YouTube? Hell even from a "well you see I am trolling you so you'd get so mad you'll improve thanks to me" perspective what everyone else is going to just say "well, gently caress you too then you conceited poo poo." And to top it all off, it's kind of cowardly. Yeah, talk poo poo of other people in the comfort of your own home instead of talking to them, that's how people work.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 15, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just out of of pure bile fascination, I watched like the first 30 seconds of that.

:goonsay:: You know what the problem with YouTube Anime Reviewers is? They don't watch other YouTube Anime Reviewers!

...Well, if you're the leader of the pack, I can clearly see why they wouldn't ever want to.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Before I was actually considering doing anime reviews that focused on how an anime delivers it's themes through plot, characters and good angle shots. Or at the very least try my best to. If this guy is supposed to be who I'm supposed to be like in terms of "quality", well maybe I should shelve that idea.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Or just do it anyway, poo poo on em, who cares, a bunch of annoying memey people will always garner the most eyes, it's pointless to worry about meeting their "standards" unless you're setting out to just be another PDP-lite or whatever else.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Just out of of pure bile fascination, I watched like the first 30 seconds of that.

:goonsay:: You know what the problem with YouTube Anime Reviewers is? They don't watch other YouTube Anime Reviewers!

...Well, if you're the leader of the pack, I can clearly see why they wouldn't ever want to.

Anime reviews is a curse. I remember me of how I found some actual published critic (with a book and everything) writing a genuine long and involved review of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was especially enamored with how easuily he cut through all the weird assumptions and cliches nerds and unprofessional critics would spout. And the guy can actually discuss poetry and fine arts, so I thought to myself that there are good things to be found out there in the internet.

Then I clicked his article on MRAs and uuuuuuuurgh

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

I find it amusing that the first thing you see about that guy is that he wrote a book on the brilliance of Woody Allen because of course.

Side note, if you can't find any good video anime reviews, there's always the written stuff! No histrionics or cringey nerdcaves in the background of somebody reciting nasally narration, just good ole long paragraphs of discourse. That's all I do these days, and it pays a good deal better, I'd say.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 15, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Anime reviews is a curse. I remember me of how I found some actual published critic (with a book and everything) writing a genuine long and involved review of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was especially enamored with how easuily he cut through all the weird assumptions and cliches nerds and unprofessional critics would spout. And the guy can actually discuss poetry and fine arts, so I thought to myself that there are good things to be found out there in the internet.

idk maybe you should re-read that NGE review, I read some of it now and he does sound like a nerd.

and worse than that, he keeps trying super hard to deny it.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Symbolic Butt posted:

idk maybe you should re-read that NGE review, I read some of it now and he does sound like a nerd.

Oh yeah, after attempting to read that guy's writing now, it's unbearably pretentious. Don't use a twenty dollar word where a two dollar word will do. That prose is tortured.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've gotten a fair amount of enjoyment out of Digibro's actually scripted output, his series on The Asterisk War is a pretty good indictment of a truly bottom of the barrel, zero redeeming value anime, as well as looking at the industry and the culture that allows a show like that to get made and thrive. A good listen, but it's long as gently caress cuz he dives into everything. I've learned to avoid his vlogs though.

Digibro falls into that category where they can be super cringy, but their output is decent enough that I can ignore it. In particular, there's a world of difference between being a cringy weeb, and being actively abhorrent like some people we could name.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I actually like his scripted stuff too. He does pretty decent analysis.

Basically if he's on camera for the majority of the video, it's not worth watching.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Alacron posted:

I've gotten a fair amount of enjoyment out of Digibro's actually scripted output, his series on The Asterisk War is a pretty good indictment of a truly bottom of the barrel, zero redeeming value anime, as well as looking at the industry and the culture that allows a show like that to get made and thrive. A good listen, but it's long as gently caress cuz he dives into everything. I've learned to avoid his vlogs though.

Digibro falls into that category where they can be super cringy, but their output is decent enough that I can ignore it. In particular, there's a world of difference between being a cringy weeb, and being actively abhorrent like some people we could name.

It'd probably be a good idea to just unfollow his "after dark" account which is where he's on camera just blabbing about whatever comes to mind and forget that channel exists. His scripted stuff is pretty good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mischalaniouse posted:

It'd probably be a good idea to just unfollow his "after dark" account which is where he's on camera just blabbing about whatever comes to mind and forget that channel exists. His scripted stuff is pretty good.

That's true, I remember wondering why he had two channels when I first found out about them, but in retrospect sectioning off his vlogs to a separate channel is for the best.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jay O posted:

Side note, if you can't find any good video anime reviews, there's always the written stuff! No histrionics or cringey nerdcaves in the background of somebody reciting nasally narration, just good ole long paragraphs of discourse. That's all I do these days, and it pays a good deal better, I'd say.

Yes, your text reviews are pretty much the best out there.

Symbolic Butt posted:

He's coming at the show from the perspectiv of academia and humanities (hence the prose) instead of subcultural, fannish enthusiasm, so he can be hardly called a nerd. A dork, a dweeb maybe.

The MRA stuff is purestrain terror though.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 15, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

to use your favorite phrase

the prose is bad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

He's coming at the show from the perspectiv of academia and humanities (hence the prose) instead of subcultural, fannish enthusiasm, so he can be hardly called a nerd.

ehhh I disagree because a significant part of the review itself seems to be about judging other people's reviews of evangelion. That's like worse than being subcultural, by trying to one-up these other reviews it ends up being... subsubcultural or something.

But forget this aspect for a moment, fundamentally I feel like his kind of approach to reviewing something like Evangelion gets it wrong precisely because it strips some of the more relevant context: Evangelion was directed by some dude who loving loved giant robot anime so too bad talking about other giant robot anime is way more culturally relevant to the object of the review than talking about Keats and Clockwork Orange. I'm not saying he shouldn't talk about these things and it can't be interesting, but the way he did it feels shallow and forced...

*sigh* OK reviewing a review is too weird and I'm bad at it.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Symbolic Butt posted:

*sigh* OK reviewing a review is too weird and I'm bad at it.

Review Reviews, the next craze in the realm of Online Review Content.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Came home to see all this Jontron stuff and uhhh..

Wow, just wow.

Everything he made, everything he did where it made me laugh is all tainted now. It's just so at odds with the person I saw him be in both his shown and in person. He could say really dumb stuff occasionally sure, but I never thought he was a full blown racist. I can only hope is career dies as a result, but who knows if even saying the stuff he did has that effect on a career anymore...

Can you imagine if he was still on Game Grumps and Arin and Co had to deal with this fallout. Really makes you appreciate them more for cutting the cord when they did so he only damages himself

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Asuron posted:

I can only hope is career dies as a result, but who knows if even saying the stuff he did has that effect on a career anymore...

I hope this causes enough negative publicity that Maker dumps him. I doubt Disney will want the association.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Asuron posted:

Everything he made, everything he did where it made me laugh is all tainted now.

It's been that way since all the sargon poo poo for me, I don't know how or why people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after that put the writing on the wall in big bold print, but this only cemented it so much worse for me. I can't watch his era of Game Grumps or any of his own stuff anymore really without just feeling bad.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Given that he already got the required Boogie support video that is getting applause from reactionaries, chances are heat street and prison planet will be there waiting for Jon to be dropped further from the mainstream. He'll be sucked in by either and a new face to scream at us viewers on how Tetris is not a real game bc anyone can pick it up will show up on people's feeds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Asuron posted:

Can you imagine if he was still on Game Grumps and Arin and Co had to deal with this fallout. Really makes you appreciate them more for cutting the cord when they did so he only damages himself

You can probably get the same effect from watching NormalBoots try to distance themselves from him. It was interesting to see the whole fallout make a mainstream news website though.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mokinokaro posted:

I hope this causes enough negative publicity that Maker dumps him. I doubt Disney will want the association.

This will probably happen either way, since Maker is getting rid of nearly all of their "clients", just focusing on 300 or so, with 55000 people dropped. A book could be written on what a dumpster fire Maker Studios is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only anime review shows I really bother with are Bennett's output and sometimes Mother's Basement. Jay O's Miyazaki retrospectives are also excellent and are actually what got me to give his films a look in the first place.
Bennett also just put out another Nuts and Bolts video looking at his latest crossover with Doug. When Doug is playing second string and not scripted he isn't so bad, at least in the commentary. His performance in the actual video is still as painful as watching a shy of 40 man mugging for the camera can get.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Nick Creamer, one of ANN's writers, does some pretty good poo poo both there and on his blog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only anime review shows I really bother with are Bennett's output and sometimes Mother's Basement. Jay O's Miyazaki retrospectives are also excellent and are actually what got me to give his films a look in the first place.
Bennett also just put out another Nuts and Bolts video looking at his latest crossover with Doug. When Doug is playing second string and not scripted he isn't so bad, at least in the commentary. His performance in the actual video is still as painful as watching a shy of 40 man mugging for the camera can get.

The real gem of the episode is Gabe's Home Alone segment at the start anyway :allears:.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

"Watch as premier anime critic Digibro slam tons of lesser youtubers for up to a half hour!" Like seriously? What type of person gets so narcissistic over being an anime reviewer on YouTube?

TBH being a YouTube talking head already requires that you believe 1) strangers want to hear your stupid opinions and 2) strangers want to look at your stupid face as you vomit said opinions, so it's already pretty predisposed toward a certain level of self-importance. Add to that a significant number of said strangers validating these beliefs by subscribing and/or praising you in comments and asking for more of your stupid opinions, and it's really unsurprising that a whole lot of content creators just go off the deep end. "All these people think I'm awesome! Clearly this means I don't need to hold back or maybe examine what I'm saying before it tumbles out of my mouth!"

Honestly, I'm really impressed that a lot of people we follow here don't end up going nuts.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Arcsquad12 posted:

MB is really good when he talks about SAO. MB is not so good when he tries to genuinely recommend Sausage Party.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You guys are all wrong, the true solution is to Ban All Anime

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I tried to watch one of Mother's Basement's most recent videos and every 5 minutes he kept digressing to shill for a really lovely looking Naruto flash game thing.

I know you've gotta get paid, but jfc it was painful.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Time posted:

TBH being a YouTube talking head already requires that you believe 1) strangers want to hear your stupid opinions and 2) strangers want to look at your stupid face as you vomit said opinions, so it's already pretty predisposed toward a certain level of self-importance. Add to that a significant number of said strangers validating these beliefs by subscribing and/or praising you in comments and asking for more of your stupid opinions, and it's really unsurprising that a whole lot of content creators just go off the deep end. "All these people think I'm awesome! Clearly this means I don't need to hold back or maybe examine what I'm saying before it tumbles out of my mouth!"

Honestly, I'm really impressed that a lot of people we follow here don't end up going nuts.

Compounding this is that many performer-critics are intent on playing a role that's really just an exaggerated version of themselves (kind of bad for criticism, lol). One gets the impression that even they might not know where the performance and the performer begin and end. You never get that with James Rolfe and AVGN, who's not even a critic but someone performing a wacky comedy character reacting to bullshit.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 15, 2017

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

FlamingLiberal posted:

You guys are all wrong, the true solution is to Ban All Anime

I dunno. Cowboy Bebop ain't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012