Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

True, which is why the best version of delver in modern, grixis shadow, doesn't play delver.

thats more of a grixis control variant (which is itself a variant of grixis delver I know).

Also, delver only "sucks" insofar it is so much worse in modern than legacy. It's still a one-drop that demands an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Speaking of delver and death's shadow, I'm thinking of trying out the grixis delver/death's shadow deck since I have everything but the death's shadows. I know a couple weeks after mm3 launches is usually the best time to buy a reprinted card but does that hold with death's shadow since it's the new hotness in modern (again)? Any big modern events coming up that might spike it?

And delver does kinda suck in modern but I think it's a defensible alternative to grixis control. An early delver gives you a fighting chance in some miserable match ups such as tron.

I also just love delver and young peezy a lot.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

Speaking of delver and death's shadow, I'm thinking of trying out the grixis delver/death's shadow deck since I have everything but the death's shadows. I know a couple weeks after mm3 launches is usually the best time to buy a reprinted card but does that hold with death's shadow since it's the new hotness in modern (again)? Any big modern events coming up that might spike it?

And delver does kinda suck in modern but I think it's a defensible alternative to grixis control. An early delver gives you a fighting chance in some miserable match ups such as tron.

I also just love delver and young peezy a lot.

it will drop, but it's already going for like 10 bucks on tcgplayer. Waiting will only save you 5 bucks at most, so I'd say just grab it so you can play it now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are there any good draft primers out for MM17? I might actually get to draft a Masters set for once in my life but I'm trying to fight my typical draft strategy of just grabbing the valuable cards, which will only exacerbated by the nature of the set.

E:

Rinkles posted:

Delver of Secrets kinda sucks in modern.

This Sultai Delver list Top 8'd a Regional last month and the only thing I absolutely need in order to put it together is the Goyfs (which I wanted for Junk anyway) so I figured I might as well hang onto it and tweak it around until I get those last few cards. Guy at my store is working on a similar list that includes spicy tech in Simic Charm (we have a fair amount of midrange here and in his words "it counters Abrupt Decay!"). Though granted, Delver's not exactly the star of this list.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 15, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Are there any good draft primers out for MM17? I might actually get to draft a Masters set for once in my life but I'm trying to fight my typical draft strategy of just grabbing the valuable cards, which will only exacerbated by the nature of the set.

The one on the official site should help, too lazy to look it up, but they went over the archetypes. There's so much mana fixing that three color decks shouldn't be a problem, so I don't expect any situations where I open a bomb and can't play it. The only draft formats in which that strategy bites me in the rear end is when it's correct to just ignore all that and draft a blisteringly fast two-color aggro deck, but I haven't looked at MM17 enough to know if it's true here. That's the danger of having a $40 draft format, no one gets enough time with it to figure it out.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am thinking of tanking Abzan in the direction. My last brew had 12 single removal spells along with 2 fumigates, and I was auto-losing game one to control, and still burning myself too much against Mardu. The more changes I make the more I feel like I am moving towards the stock B/G deck, which I am trying to avoid by going over that deck and hopefully also Mardu. So far my original build games 2 and 3 can hold well against control by keeping up on card draw, so I am trying to keep that going. Painful truths is amazing.

23 Lands
3 Traverse

16 Creatures
4 Sylvan Advocate
2 Scrapheap Scrounger
3 Tireless Tracker
4x Thraben Inspector
1x Thalia (maybe Gonti)
2x Catacomb Sifter

10 Instant / Sorc
3x Fatal Push
3x Grasp of Darkness
2x Ruinous Path
2x Painful Truths

6 Planeswalkers
2x Gideon
1x Ob
1X Sorin
1x Nissa
2x Lili

SIDE
1x Tireless tracker
2x Anguished unmaking
4x Transgress the mind
2x Fumigate
2x Natural State
2x Flaying Tendrils
1x Gonti
1x Kalitas

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

C-Euro posted:

Guy at my store is working on a similar list that includes spicy tech in Simic Charm (we have a fair amount of midrange here and in his words "it counters Abrupt Decay!").
I've always wanted Simic Charm to be good. It's two of my staple "This is what this color does" cards and a neat third one all packed together.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

I am thinking of tanking Abzan in the direction. My last brew had 12 single removal spells along with 2 fumigates, and I was auto-losing game one to control, and still burning myself too much against Mardu. The more changes I make the more I feel like I am moving towards the stock B/G deck, which I am trying to avoid by going over that deck and hopefully also Mardu. So far my original build games 2 and 3 can hold well against control by keeping up on card draw, so I am trying to keep that going. Painful truths is amazing.

23 Lands
3 Traverse

16 Creatures
4 Sylvan Advocate
2 Scrapheap Scrounger
3 Tireless Tracker
4x Thraben Inspector
1x Thalia (maybe Gonti)
2x Catacomb Sifter

10 Instant / Sorc
3x Fatal Push
3x Grasp of Darkness
2x Ruinous Path
2x Painful Truths

6 Planeswalkers
2x Gideon
1x Ob
1X Sorin
1x Nissa
2x Lili

SIDE
1x Tireless tracker
2x Anguished unmaking
4x Transgress the mind
2x Fumigate
2x Natural State
2x Flaying Tendrils
1x Gonti
1x Kalitas

I feel like 4 Gideon is a must. Inspector doesn't do anything impressive here, and sylvan advocate is underwhelming. I like servant of the conduit. It lets you play aether hub, atune with aether, ramps and mana fixes. All those planeswalkers and 3 power creatures means I'd try 3 possibly 4 heart of Kiran, maybe add a scrounger and cut the sifters.

Thalia is a million times better than Gonti due to Copy Cat. The more I look at it the sure I am you want servant of the conduit. It plays so well with 3 colors, and tireless tracker is an even better 4 drop than 3 drop.

-4 thraben, advocate -2 sifter
+ 4 servant, 2 Gideon, 3 Heart 1 scrounger.

Just some thoughts, like I said you can switch to atune and have some decent energy but I don't know of any good sinks for this deck, I suppose you could run the 2/1 black menace guy that draws a card from energy over painful truths and move that to the sideboard. Upping the Gideon count definitely moves you away from GB into a clear Abzan direction though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I really want to build a BR eldrazi deck. It seems fun. I like bashing people faces with a 7/7 Reality Smasher.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 15, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

C-Euro posted:

E:

This Sultai Delver list Top 8'd a Regional last month and the only thing I absolutely need in order to put it together is the Goyfs (which I wanted for Junk anyway) so I figured I might as well hang onto it and tweak it around until I get those last few cards. Guy at my store is working on a similar list that includes spicy tech in Simic Charm (we have a fair amount of midrange here and in his words "it counters Abrupt Decay!"). Though granted, Delver's not exactly the star of this list.

Draft Sphinx's Rev.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I've done a handful of cockatrice drafts and here's my thoughts:

-You can play 3-4 colors pretty easily, and you'll probably want to. There's some dedicated 2-color synergy decks you can draft, but they're mostly traps. Your sick combos are just not going to be more powerful than Lingering Souls plus red removal and blue card draw. U/W flicker and R/W aggro seem like the only decent 2-color decks.

-Draft fixing other anything that isn't a bomb or a money card.

-There's a ton of removal and bounce/flicker effects. So ETB effects are really good, creatures that die to removal without getting value are mediocre, and auras are unplayable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

little munchkin posted:

-You can play 3-4 colors pretty easily, and you'll probably want to. There's some dedicated 2-color synergy decks you can draft, but they're mostly traps. Your sick combos are just not going to be more powerful than Lingering Souls plus red removal and blue card draw. U/W flicker and R/W aggro seem like the only decent 2-color decks.

-There's a ton of removal and bounce/flicker effects. So ETB effects are really good, creatures that die to removal without getting value are mediocre, and auras are unplayable.

Madcap Skills is not unplayable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Madcap Skills is not unplayable.

are you basing this on actual experience or just assuming it's good because it was good in RTR?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

good, high-powered rainbow limited formats are my jam

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

little munchkin posted:

are you basing this on actual experience or just assuming it's good because it was good in RTR?

I've drafted it twice online and it's been as stellar as it usually is. (I had 1 deck with 5x and played all 5)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I've drafted it twice online and it's been as stellar as it usually is. (I had 1 deck with 5x and played all 5)

YMMV then, every time I've tried to cast it the creature just ends up in my hand or on top of my library.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

little munchkin posted:

YMMV then, every time I've tried to cast it the creature just ends up in my hand or on top of my library.

Actually I've found the removal in the set to be pretty bad... (also the power level of the creatures in the set is way below previous MM sets which makes aggro and control decks better.) I've drafted really durdly UBx decks that seemed actually decent.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 15, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

I feel like 4 Gideon is a must. Inspector doesn't do anything impressive here, and sylvan advocate is underwhelming. I like servant of the conduit. It lets you play aether hub, atune with aether, ramps and mana fixes. All those planeswalkers and 3 power creatures means I'd try 3 possibly 4 heart of Kiran, maybe add a scrounger and cut the sifters.

Thalia is a million times better than Gonti due to Copy Cat. The more I look at it the sure I am you want servant of the conduit. It plays so well with 3 colors, and tireless tracker is an even better 4 drop than 3 drop.

-4 thraben, advocate -2 sifter
+ 4 servant, 2 Gideon, 3 Heart 1 scrounger.

Just some thoughts, like I said you can switch to atune and have some decent energy but I don't know of any good sinks for this deck, I suppose you could run the 2/1 black menace guy that draws a card from energy over painful truths and move that to the sideboard. Upping the Gideon count definitely moves you away from GB into a clear Abzan direction though.

Sylvan advocate being a 4/5 for 2 and turning your shambling vents into 4/5 lifelink is pretty good. If i am going to take this deck in the direction of Heart I might as well just play Mardu. Servant seems like it can be alright, but it also seems like it can just be a dead draw. That is why I like Advocate so much. It is viable early game, and wins games on its own late.
I am iffy on the thraben inspectors, and do agree more gideons wouldn't hurt.
I might try -4 Thraben +1 Gideon +3 Servant.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So can any MTG Financiers explain to me how Fatal Push has held EXACTLY $5 since the first week it was opened? I'm grumpy about this because I'm not spending $5 on a widely printed uncommon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

So can any MTG Financiers explain to me how Fatal Push has held EXACTLY $5 since the first week it was opened? I'm grumpy about this because I'm not spending $5 on a widely printed uncommon.

It's very annoying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they've finally got around to adding monarch cards to MTGo, but in return the loot chest based economy is in full swing

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/modern-masters-2017-edition-events-constructed-event-changes-2017-03-15

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Probably because the ~value~ on the set as a whole is not super great? How's the limited environment, maybe people just don't like drafting it either.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They added Monarch cards to MTGO but still no Custodi Squire

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
They're removing booster pack prizes from constructed events. So I'm guessing it will drastically reduce booster pack supply and drive price all the way up to $4.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

clamiam45 posted:

They're removing booster pack prizes from constructed events. So I'm guessing it will drastically reduce booster pack supply and drive price all the way up to $4.

Why would they do this?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Queen Marchesa owns

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

Why would they do this?

The stated reason is because demand for booster packs wanes during the life of a daft format. So constructed event compensation is weird. I imagine that
They resent that they can't control it finely.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

Why would they do this?

Competitive events can create a problem later in the season, where more boosters are getting created than destroyed, or are needed because draft queues have slowed down. This creates another issue, because the value of playing constructed is tied to pack value, so if an AER draft is 8 tickets, suddenly going 5-0 or 4-1 is worth a lot less. They had the same issue back in the day when certain events awarded core set packs nobody wanted.

Hopefully they are programmed well and treasure chests retain their value. If they are stable at around 2.5, 16 chests is about 40 tickets which is reasonable. If they drop in value too much, then we have the same problem.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

Why would they do this?

Limited events self-regulate there: as booster price goes down, both the prize and the entry fee decline. Constructed, the entry fee doesn't decline so that causes problems when the prize declines but the entry fee does not.

Also I have a suspicion but haven't really mulled it over that this change will be a net moneymaker for WOTC: cards from treasure chests don't replace any demand for event tickets and/or booster packs. If you get a $4 card from a treasure chest, you can't use that in place of a booster or 4 event tickets to enter a limited draft. So people will enter more drafts with purchased boosters or event tickets, both of which require giving money directly to WOTC.

Where this might fail is that there's a limited demand for reprinted cards and I don't know if oversaturating those through more treasure chests might pose different economic issues and haven't really mulled that over.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol 10bux to play a phantom event where you don't even get to keep product and the most likely prize is enough fun coins to play again.

MTGO is a dumpster fire.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

clamiam45 posted:

It'll be interesting to see see what happens to the price. When it costs 12 tickets to draft, why buy a draft set for more than 10? Quick look at Goatbots puts a draft set at just under 9.

If it goes up that high then instead of buying one pack to get you back up to a set you can just sell your two packs and buy in with tickets.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

ShaneB posted:

Because it's a 3-4 of in every modern deck that has Black mana, and is apparently also showing up in legacy, so lots of people are buying them?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

St0rmD posted:

Because it's a 3-4 of in every modern deck that has Black mana, and is apparently also showing up in legacy, so lots of people are buying them?

Yeah but there are hundreds and hundreds of copies on TCGplayer, which makes me think people would just be rushing to undercut each other to move some copies and take profits. It's just surprising that a current set uncommon is still that much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they ended the redemption program, and slashed pack prices to like $2, I would spend so much time drafting on MTGO and end up putting way more money into it than I do now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Entropic posted:

If they ended the redemption program, and slashed pack prices to like $2, I would spend so much time drafting on MTGO and end up putting way more money into it than I do now.

You don't even need to end redemption to just reasonably price phantom drafts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah but there are hundreds and hundreds of copies on TCGplayer, which makes me think people would just be rushing to undercut each other to move some copies and take profits. It's just surprising that a current set uncommon is still that much.

Its a card that is going to be good for a long time in all formats. Cards like that don't move downward very easily even at uncommon as it will always move later.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

evilweasel posted:

You don't even need to end redemption to just reasonably price phantom drafts.

Yeah, hell, I have no interest in constructed on MTGO, so I would be ecstatic to be able to just play actually-reasonably-priced phantom drafts for play-points and not have to go through the chore of selling rares for packs and tickets.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Sticky prices are really common in magic. Check out known bad card bitterblossom's price history.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Its a card that is going to be good for a long time in all formats. Cards like that don't move downward very easily even at uncommon as it will always move later.

It's very clearly a card like Inquisition of Kozilek or Path to Exile where it's going to be a staple forever, and people need them for decks now so they're going to buy them at any price that isn't completely exorbitant. I don't think that could ever happen with a common these days, but uncommons are just scarce enough (especially now that there's more of them per set) that you could open a whole box and only get 0-1 of a specific one, so people do have to actually buy them for decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Sticky prices are really common in magic. Check out known bad card bitterblossom's price history.

Bitterblossom stuck at $25 despite seeing play in zero good decks, same with Baby Jace.

Archangel of Thune is still around 20 and is a relatively useless card since the pod ban, it's been steady for months.

• Locked thread