Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There's a run on YouTube right now of a guy beating Zelda in 53 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

I'm really satisfied with the way they set things up if you were to start a new game and just rush the castle, as a speed runner or masochist may do. No spoilers, but it's nigh impossible. Someone may pull it off eventually, but I'm pretty sure we won't see a "any% no upgrade tree branch only" run for years, if ever.

You really REALLY underestimate the speed run community.

e; there was video of fighting ganon with a big temp hearts recipe and just some really weak poo poo within 6-7 hours of the game coming out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh I know someone's done it in under an hour, which seems pretty fast, I'm just envisioning trying it with a tree branch and 3 hearts and just can't fathom it. I'm really interested in seeing how they did it, but won't look into it until I beat the game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

IAmKale posted:

Hey, if you've been trying to join the Nintengoons Discord server but were unable to see anything but a blank #welcome channel, try again. Discord did something funky recently with channel permissions, making the auth channel completely hidden to unauthenticated users. It's been resolved, though, so come on in!
I think it's still doing this?

Unless you are supposed to do something in the waiting room.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

I'm really satisfied with the way they set things up if you were to start a new game and just rush the castle, as a speed runner or masochist may do. No spoilers, but it's nigh impossible. Someone may pull it off eventually, but I'm pretty sure we won't see a "any% no upgrade tree branch only" run for years, if ever.

On that note, stay away from Hyrule Castle until you're ready to see the endgame. Like don't even go near it.

From what I've seen and heard, it's a solid port. I think there's a new gameplay video from PAX East that shows it running perfectly, and someone just bought the game early from Toys R Us and said it's perfect aside from the occasional bug where opening a door doesn't make the door opening sound.

Ehhh, I went into the castle a few times before my end run and its definitely worth exploring a good deal before actually trying to "win", during which you probably won't actually fight anything. Took me a few hours to explore the place fully. Great music, good loot, [spoiler]some great journals[/spoilers] -- go for it!

I don't think you'd have enough inventory slots to do "tree branch only" runs, current speed runs are already under an hour with lots of room for improvement in castle path optimization.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Hey, if you've been trying to join the Nintengoons Discord server but were unable to see anything but a blank #welcome channel, try again. Discord did something funky recently with channel permissions, making the auth channel completely hidden to unauthenticated users. It's been resolved, though, so come on in!

Do I have to do a thing to be authorized, or will someone notice me languishing in the auth-waiting-room and have mercy on me?

I gotta say, I'm loving my Switch so far. It helps that Zelda is a massive time-sink, which kinda masks the fact that the launch lineup is a little sparse. I don't know how many hours I've put into it just yet, but I'm sure it's around 40-50, and I only finished my final divine beast yesterday. I'm not going to take on Hyrule castle until the weekend, though, so the next few days I'm just gonna gently caress around and find some shrines and such, which will be kinda nice. There's so much to do I think I'm going to be sad when it's all over. I'm also excited to see what they do for DLC stuff. I think you could literally make a whole other game inside the current world.

As for the hardware itself, being able to just bring it upstairs to the office while I work and take little Zelda breaks has been pretty awesome. Has my productivity suffered? Of course. Do I care? Of course not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah tree branches break in like two swings. You are going to want at least some travelers gear, and even that probably doesn't cut it.

When I get to Ganon I want to do the final hit with the Ladel.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tbqh I don't think a branch only run would be something interesting anyways. With the weapon degradation and the amount of health the bosses have it'll kinda just be very boring.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I'm waiting for the post-plateau category because as is the first half hour of every run is exactly the same. I know that's the name of the game and it isn't happening, but I just don't find unpowered link running the first four shrines compelling

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Soul Glo posted:

There's a run on YouTube right now of a guy beating Zelda in 53 minutes.

Sounds like a waste of time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

What in the actual gently caress
Well,
No, and that's a lovely joke.

I pre-ordered one (1) Nintendo Switch like a normal person. And Zelda. There were no pre-orders available for Special Edition.

Then an order became available for Special Edition so I pre-ordered it. I also (separately) ordered a pro controller. I kept the pre-order live for the regular game because it was on the same ticket as the system and I didn't want to mess with that.

Then I got my Switch (yay). Then it was broken (boo!) I could have sent it to Nintendo for "repair" but I preferred to get another one and then return it.

Found out that hhgregg had switches on their website, so I ordered one.(yay) Delivery in 7-10 days (boo)

Found out that ToysRUS was going to have Switches on Sunday so I waited in line for an hour and got one (yay)

Then I returned the original broken one to best buy (yay)

Then I called hhgregg to cancel my order (yay) but it turns out they didn't have them anyway (boo) but it didn't matter because I already had mine (yay)

Then I returned the extra copy of Zelda (yay)

Now I have a normal amount of everything. It was an exciting launch weekend. Not really in a good way. But now I have Zelda and Switch and it's good (yay)

Not really that insane, I think. Thanks for reading.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Bloop posted:

Well,

I pre-ordered one (1) Nintendo Switch like a normal person. And Zelda. There were no pre-orders available for Special Edition.

Then an order became available for Special Edition so I pre-ordered it. I also (separately) ordered a pro controller. I kept the pre-order live for the regular game because it was on the same ticket as the system and I didn't want to mess with that.

Then I got my Switch (yay). Then it was broken (boo!) I could have sent it to Nintendo for "repair" but I preferred to get another one and then return it.

Found out that hhgregg had switches on their website, so I ordered one.(yay) Delivery in 7-10 days (boo)

Found out that ToysRUS was going to have Switches on Sunday so I waited in line for an hour and got one (yay)

Then I called hhgregg to cancel my order (yay) but it turns out they didn't have them anyway (boo) but it didn't matter because I already had mine (yay)

Now I have a normal amount of everything. It was an exciting launch weekend. Not really in a good way. But now I have Zelda and Switch and it's good (yay)

I still think you might have autism (yay)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The US is weird.

I just walked into a store, preordered, and knew I was guaranteed my order, because that's how poo poo works in a sane country.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

King of Fighters 94 is releasing Friday on the Aus eShop.

Still no Splatoon demo up for preload.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Infinitum posted:

The US is weird.

I just walked into a store, preordered, and knew I was guaranteed my order, because that's how poo poo works in a sane country.

How much did you pay for your Switch and all the accessories again? :smug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KOF '94 is worth a look even after '98 cause of the cool stage intros which they immediately dropped for the rest of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4G0dX-w8QI&t=641s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 15, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Bloop posted:

Well,

Uhh... you're not vindicating yourself very well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*click*

Buying a broken thing and returning it is autism.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Writing a ten-paragraph essay about it might be, tbh

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

KOF '94 is worth a look even after '98 cause of the cool stage intros which they immediately dropped for the rest of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4G0dX-w8QI&t=641s

I'm dreadful at fighting games (and have no one to play them with) but I love the interesting backgrounds they can have, and man that looks awesome. Might be an impulse buy for me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

You've failed every writing assignment you've ever done, huh?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

In my neighborhood I have a very pretty view of the New York City skyline from the top of a cliff and sometimes I like to think I live in a really bitchin' fighting game level

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mahoning posted:

How much did you pay for your Switch and all the accessories again? :smug:

mate

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

King Bahamut posted:

I'm waiting for the post-plateau category because as is the first half hour of every run is exactly the same. I know that's the name of the game and it isn't happening, but I just don't find unpowered link running the first four shrines compelling

I think you can get off the plateau without the shrines, i climbed back up it and only needed 1 stam regen block because there is a part half way up near the center where you can rest.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

I think you can get off the plateau without the shrines, i climbed back up it and only needed 1 stam regen block because there is a part half way up near the center where you can rest.

The game kills you if you try.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Put one of those joycon grips upside down. Don't recommend. Required an uncomfortable amount of force to remove.

Joycon and grip are fine though. Just scarry.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Norns posted:

Put one of those joycon grips upside down. Don't recommend. Required an uncomfortable amount of force to remove.

Joycon and grip are fine though. Just scarry.

Does your switch now wobble in handheld mode

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ethanol posted:

Does your switch now wobble in handheld mode

No still seems stable thankfully.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

This is the something awful forums we are all posting on.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

enojy posted:

On that note, stay away from Hyrule Castle until you're ready to see the endgame. Like don't even go near it.

From what I've seen and heard, it's a solid port. I think there's a new gameplay video from PAX East that shows it running perfectly, and someone just bought the game early from Toys R Us and said it's perfect aside from the occasional bug where opening a door doesn't make the door opening sound.

Awesome. Even through I got GCU, I just going to buy it digitally so I can always have it on the Switch.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Music Theory posted:

The game kills you if you try.
What an rear end in a top hat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChB8Tn_H7vU

"Very smooth, very steady, solid 60fps"
"The definitive console/portable version"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It looks fine?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hey be nice. Show some manners.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The music that plays on the Splatoon2 launch screen is Pretty Fresh

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/842030740120449024

Legit upset this doesn't have a switch version.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I was so excited by your post until I scrolled down to see no Switch version. drat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

an actual dog posted:

It looks fine?

No I'm just putting quotes from the video.

I'm actually very happy to hear all that. Seriously considering grabbing it, but would have liked a discount for already owning BoI like 20 times already :qq:

Harlock posted:

Just get an emulator for your PC, or wait until the Switch gets homebrew happening :shrug:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of party games, when does that Don't Know Jack party pack or whatever it is come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harlock posted:

Yeah same. I have every other platform listed but drat this would be great on the switch.

• Locked thread