Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alokgen posted:

Finally finished my bouncer from a few pages back. I'm not sold on the armor. I was rocking 2bb'ing with the skin and gems, but the second I started on the metallics I got really lazy.
Going to go back to experimenting with NMM on the next armored dude.

Armour looks good to me, especially the chestplate, and the amethyst is fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
UK folks: Where are you getting the parchment paper for your wet palettes? Everything I can find has a wax coating and my attempts to treat it with hot water has left me with paper that is permeable but fraying.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alokgen posted:

Finally finished my bouncer from a few pages back. I'm not sold on the armor. I was rocking 2bb'ing with the skin and gems, but the second I started on the metallics I got really lazy.
Going to go back to experimenting with NMM on the next armored dude.

This owns, fyi.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rad thanks!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

UK folks: Where are you getting the parchment paper for your wet palettes? Everything I can find has a wax coating and my attempts to treat it with hot water has left me with paper that is permeable but fraying.

When I was using one I would just buy daler rowney paper for wet palettes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting my completed Kataphron Destroyers.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mostly finished my 6 Kataphron Destroyers. Gotta touch up some stuff (dry brush the mud on the tracks, drill the phosphor barrel.)

I'm pretty happy with them. I was mostly going for speed.

Posting images always helps to point out spots i missed/need to fix up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What do people put on top of Martian Ironcrust/Ironearth?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What do people put on top of Martian Ironcrust/Ironearth?

I do a heavy ryza rust drybrush, then a light drybrush of kislev flesh:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I do a heavy ryza rust drybrush, then a light drybrush of kislev flesh:

These look much better than mine. Mine are Baylor Brown and Zandri Dust.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007
Airbrush goons! I'm starting to experiment with varnishing and have questions. Traditionally I've done one coat of Krylon gloss then two coats of Dullcote and I've been happy with results (after some touch ups with brush on vajello)

What would be the airbrush equivalents if they exist? I have vajello gloss and matte in dropper bottles. The gloss seems alright, the matte seems VERY different than the dullcote though. I'm mainly looking for a replacement here since I know it's lacquer (I think???) vs acrylic. I'm wondering if it provides more protection for that reason as well?

I've read that using Futur for gloss works well too? I have some and can try it. Also, can anyone tell me what the difference between the vajello polyurethane varnish and acrylic is? (And if I should definitely not be using one or the other) I was thinking of trying their satin varnish.

Thanks for helping me not ruin all my paint jobs!

Hobospider
Oct 17, 2002

I use art store liquitex varnish through an airbrush and get good results. Just use a larger gauge needle and clean out the airbrush reeeeally well as soon as you are done. If you are inclined get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner to make it easy.

A coat of gloss followed by a coat of matte makes your minis pretty much bulletproof. Note that the matte tends to gum up the nozzle more than gloss due to the suspended particulates that make it matte. good luck!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
WIP for Adepticon - a bit of fine tuning and the bases left to go. As usual, I'm going down to the wire on this...

Hurr hurr hurr

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

WIP for Adepticon - a bit of fine tuning and the bases left to go. As usual, I'm going down to the wire on this...

Hurr hurr hurr

This is the good poo poo right here. How are you basing them? I've got a box of old Goliaths that I'm figuring will go on Goblin Green bases.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

This is the good poo poo right here. How are you basing them? I've got a box of old Goliaths that I'm figuring will go on Goblin Green bases.

Thanks - I was going to go crazy with basing, but after looking at things realistically, I'm going with the same Zone Mortalis type bases I did with my Escher.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2017

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hurr hurr hurr

These are great, everything Necromunda is great, and everything Necromunda needs hazard stripes bases!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was going to go crazy with basing, but after looking at things realistically, I'm going with the same Zone Mortalis type bases I did with my Escher.

And I need to paint my own Escher now.... WITH HAZARD STRIPES BASES

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
Ok so I did a test run on the BB Orcs following the painting instructions in the game. Overall the line highlighting worked well for a fast turnaround but I think I still prefer spending some time and blending as it looks much better in pictures. I did discover something else though: I typically (heavily) gloss varnish all my minis and I have 30 year old paint jobs that still look vibrant as a consequence, however the gloss varnish isn't very natural and makes highlighted blacks look like poo poo. The mini pictured was glossed over and then I applied a wash of Lahmian Medium over the varnish coat. This matted the varnish and aside from a little dulling of the colors (which I plan on compensating for by highlighting up to an even lighter color) I have a feeling this will be one of the most durable treatments I have applied to my minis and I no longer need to worry about matte varnish caking on the miniatures weirdly.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

mentos posted:

Ok so I did a test run on the BB Orcs following the painting instructions in the game. Overall the line highlighting worked well for a fast turnaround but I think I still prefer spending some time and blending as it looks much better in pictures. I did discover something else though: I typically (heavily) gloss varnish all my minis and I have 30 year old paint jobs that still look vibrant as a consequence, however the gloss varnish isn't very natural and makes highlighted blacks look like poo poo. The mini pictured was glossed over and then I applied a wash of Lahmian Medium over the varnish coat. This matted the varnish and aside from a little dulling of the colors (which I plan on compensating for by highlighting up to an even lighter color) I have a feeling this will be one of the most durable treatments I have applied to my minis and I no longer need to worry about matte varnish caking on the miniatures weirdly.

This is a cool idea, I will give this a try when I next varnish a mini.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lahmian medium is great and matte but far too expensive to be used just for that! Check out Daler Rowney matt varnish - a lot of shaking and stirring but it brushes on smoothly and dries very matte.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007

ineptmule posted:

This is a cool idea, I will give this a try when I next varnish a mini.

Tried looking that up. Is that just GW brand Matte Medium or is it something different?

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
^^^^^^ yep it is, made from the tears of grognards

ijyt posted:

Lahmian medium is great and matte but far too expensive to be used just for that! Check out Daler Rowney matt varnish - a lot of shaking and stirring but it brushes on smoothly and dries very matte.

keep in mind I'm the type of guy who buys "Pink Horror" and "Pallid Whych Flesh" just because GW tells me to...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody have any good guides regarding how to paint camouflage and how to weather vehicles?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Does anybody have any good guides regarding how to paint camouflage and how to weather vehicles?

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/weathering/apply-realistic-paint-chips-salt/

Salt Chipping is a technique any self respecting artist looking to weather a vehicle should learn if they have an airbrush, IMO.

You might be able to pull it off without an airbrush by painting the rust layer, adding salt, then spray primering over the salt and paint as normal.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Weathering vehicles is a whole rabbit hole of techniques. This video and the creator's channel are fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMncvt0BpbI

As for camouflage - Just paint the camouflage like the dudes did it in real life. It's really easy. Camouflage was usually applied in the field by the crew, and so the patterns are always really straightforward.

Say you wanna do the iconic German "ambush" camo:

It might look a bit overwhelming at first, but if you break it down into discrete steps, you'll find that it's extremely simple. Light tan base color, followed by a few thick wavy brown and green streaks going vertically up the length of the vehicle. Finish it off with light tan dots to the green and brown areas, and brown dots to the light tan areas.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 15, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/weathering/apply-realistic-paint-chips-salt/

Salt Chipping is a technique any self respecting artist looking to weather a vehicle should learn if they have an airbrush, IMO.

You might be able to pull it off without an airbrush by painting the rust layer, adding salt, then spray primering over the salt and paint as normal.

I have a bunch of vallejo effects and rust is one. Can i apply that over paint or is that the base i should use for the salt

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

I have a bunch of vallejo effects and rust is one. Can i apply that over paint or is that the base i should use for the salt

Over the paint. You want the layer covered by the salt to look like the metal or primer underneath. So you can add that or something like tamiya weathering pigments afterwards inside the sections previously covered by the salt. I suggest a small sponge on a stick.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone but one last question.

I found a line of paints that makes precise colors for historicals. Theyre all enamels.

So does the rule of thumb of acrylics over enamels still stand or should i find the same color in acrylic

Also what is a good steel color to do edge drybrushing for basic weathering

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 15, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Thanks everyone but one last question.

I found a line of paints that makes precise colors for historicals. Theyre all enamels.

So does the rule of thumb of acrylics over enamels still stand or should i find the same color in acrylic

Are you painting historicals? If not, you should be able to find equivalents in acrylic - Vallejo makes a wide range of military model colors. Personally, I'm for acrylics 110% as you don't have to worry about the pain in the rear end cleanup with enamels.

That being said. enamels have their place, especially with techniques like pin washes and weather staining. That's some pretty advanced stuff though - not especially difficult, just not beginner level.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I wanna get into Napoleonics and they have all specific colors.

But the colors I have already are just Russian Armor Green and Russian Air Force Su-25 Underside Blue as they call it.

Very specific colors thatre hard to find equivalents of

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Find acrylic equivalents. If anyone's gonna give you poo poo about not using the precise exact shade of dress coat blue or brass buttons then they're not worth playing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Yeah I wanna get into Napoleonics and they have all specific colors.

But the colors I have already are just Russian Armor Green and Russian Air Force Su-25 Underside Blue as they call it.

Very specific colors thatre hard to find equivalents of

Yeah, historicals like that are tough, because you have maniacs judging you for not painting the vest buttons in the correct shade of parade brass.

You may want to ask paint specific questions in the Historicals Thread. If anyone knows where to get British Army Red, circa 1805 on Thursday, they will be the guys.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To answer the question: still stands; enamel paint will eat acrylic paint when you try to brush it on. If you really cant find the colors you want then I'd suggest a strong varnish before applying the enamels.

The only time you can really get away with enamel over acrylic is either 1. Pin washing (because you're not pushing the enamel paint against the acrylic) and 2. Very light airbryshing (too much will dissolve the base acrylic).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
These were the tanks I did for my Oath last month.

The recipe was actually pretty simple: airbrush the entire thing Vallejo US Dark Green. Then I gave it a zenithal highlight with a mix of 3-4 parts US Dark Green to 1 part Vallejo Medium Grey. You could use Vallejo Russian Uniform, but I don't think it's quite light enough. The wear effects were then done with Vallejo Dark Gray applied by stippling with a small drybrush. Some people use a sponge for this, but I find I have better control with a brush - just make sure it's a small one. I then pin-washed the thing with Tamiya Panel Wash (black). The .50, coax, and hull-mounted MG were coated in Vallejo Gloss black and dry-brushed with Ral Partha Steel (this particular bottle of paint is goddamned near 30 years old, but basically any dark gray metallic color will work here). The tracks were painted Vallejo Gloss Black, then dry-brushed with Citadel Boltgun Metal. Depending on the environment you want to model, you might want to experiment here with using texture paints (especially if you're doing muddy Normandy, or something like snow/slush effects). For the mud spattering effect, I thinned some Vallejo Flat Earth, dipped brush in, held it a half inch or so from the tank, and shot it with air from my airbrush. I then heavily applied some dry pigments (I forget whether they are Vallejo or MIG) to the tracks, and fixed them with mineral spirits. The final step was the grime streaks, which were done with the Tamiya line oils (they look like little mascara bottles), swiped with a small brush loaded with mineral spirits to fade/thin to the desired color/weight.

This one was done more or less the same way, only the base coat was Vallejo US Field Drab, followed by a heavy stippling with Vallejo German Camo Beige, followed by a light edge dry-brushing of ... Vallejo Iraqi Sand I think? Same edge stippling with Vallejo Dark Gray for the paint chipping effect. For this one, the dust weathering dry pigment was MIG Dry Mud, again fixed with mineral spirits.

FWIW, until last month I had painted exactly one (1) historical vehicle. I was basically experimenting with a bunch of new materials and techniques (I had never really done much with oil-based paints before), but I discovered that it was surprisingly easy to achieve the effects I wanted. There are a ton of YouTube tutorials out there (there's a great one for Shermans that's done by a German dude that I drew from heavily). The most important thing is to just be willing to experiment and try things outside of your comfort zone.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Finally got the confidence to paint my Ethereal!

I'm surprised how well it goes with the theme. It took me an hour just to decide on colors before I even touched the paint.

I nailed the gem in his face on the first go, and I let out an audible "Hell yeah!" When something goes as planned on the first try, it really boosts the confidence! :dance:

Edit: Seeing it in an image is showing the spots I was heave handed on, namely the glow on the staff. I really gotta learn the wet method of doing the glow effect.

Also, this dude is great! Thanks for sharing. If you're new to painting, watch this guys stuff.
:spain:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 16, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Whoops.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Also, this dude is great! Thanks for sharing. If you're new to painting, watch this guys stuff.
:spain:

One very minor thing that annoys me about him is that he's Dunning-Krugering so loving hard. This is literally the most skilled painter I've ever seen work, but he seems to think that he's sloppy and mediocre. It's pretty intimidating for someone who really is sloppy and mediocre. :downs:

"Okay... if you want to make great looking, realistic model? Go learn from some other painter, yes? I want to paint models fast, to have fun with. If you want great looking, learn from someone else <nervous laughter>"

*proceeds to loving freehand pretty much photorealistic paint chipping and rust streaks in under five minutes while talking and gesticulating to audience*

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Geisladisk posted:

One very minor thing that annoys me about him is that he's Dunning-Krugering so loving hard. This is literally the most skilled painter I've ever seen work, but he seems to think that he's sloppy and mediocre. It's pretty intimidating for someone who really is sloppy and mediocre. :downs:

You're describing the opposite of Dunning-Kruger.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You're describing the opposite of Dunning-Kruger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

quote:

Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others

Skilled people consistently underestimating their own proficiency is also a part of DK.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread. This guy is really loving good and severely underestimates how good he is, is what I'm sayin'.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had his talent hes great

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think what you're actually describing there is called "humility." It's one of those things that never seem to catch on in the US, like basic human decency or the Metric System.

Welp, gotta go, real busy today. <spends remainder of day watching every tutorial on Mig's channel while putting incredible effort into avoiding work>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Yeah, I think what you're actually describing there is called "humility." It's one of those things that never seem to catch on in the US, like basic human decency or the Metric System.

Lol

Mig's channel is pretty rad. Those oil brushes look interesting, but i'm not at all brave enough to try them.