Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

exquisite tea posted:

The character creator and models look considerably better than they appear in Andromeda, which is what makes it all especially baffling.

There's an obvious change in art direction between the two that's partly to blame, with DA:I playing things pretty straight and ME:A attempting a sort of stylization that looks relatively fine on the aliens but terrible on the humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Serf posted:

So you're both stating opinions, it looks like anyways.

Battlefield 1 animations and facial animations were top notch. Some people seem to be implying it's Frostbite's fault. Just clearly stating it isn't Frostbite. Battlefield 1 was a hell of a game actually. It shocked me that it was as good as it was. But aside from all that, the animations are clearly top notch while using that engine. So, basically, it isn't even a subjective opinion. It's more objective fact when comparing the two since ME:A is so bad on an epic level of terrible.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

^^^ when 90% of the games made on an engine have poo poo animations, I tend to wonder if maybe the other one is an exception to the rule and it's time to drop that poo poo off a cliff

nopantsjack posted:

It is a shame because you can have garbage graphics and get away with it if you have good animations, its way harder to do the other way around.

Art direction.... matters?!?!?!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Utnayan posted:

Battlefield 1 animations and facial animations were top notch. Some people seem to be implying it's Frostbite's fault. Just clearly stating it isn't Frostbite. Battlefield 1 was a hell of a game actually. It shocked me that it was as good as it was. But aside from all that, the animations are clearly top notch while using that engine. So, basically, it isn't even a subjective opinion. It's more objective fact when comparing the two since ME:A is so bad on an epic level of terrible.

"My opinions are objective fact" - a crazy person

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Serf posted:

Pretty much describes everyone here

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Utnayan posted:

Dice nailed it with Battlefield 1. So... ?

Frostbite has nothing to do with it. It's the animation talent working at any given studio/project at the time. It's obvious Bioware has none of that talent.

Hahahahahaha

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you think I'd need to have a 1060 to enjoy the game at a decent graphics setting, or will my 750ti cut it?

Also I have logitech dlc I can give away, but it's only redeemable to origin for the PC version

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

neonbregna posted:

Maybe you just don't get Bioware and should move on to a video game company that makes games that appeal to you.

I got Bioware. KOTOR. ME1, 2. Original Dragon Age. Jade Empire.

This isn't that Bioware anymore. So let's quit pretending Bioware is the same Bioware first.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Norns posted:

It also helps when everything you show about a game doesn't make people laugh or cringe

The fact it makes me laugh every time a human talks or emotes is a plus to me, or at least if we're not getting good faces I'd rather get these bad ones.

What I'm struggling with is whether these animations would look funnier on a cool Ryder or a hideous abomination Ryder.

The character creator looking bad scares me a bit because I'm worried I won't be able to make an abomination.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Norns posted:

Pretty much describes everyone here

I assume that I am always wrong.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Serf posted:

When you look at the animations of ME:A currently, and have someone insinuate it's the engine's fault, then point to the engine use in another game in which the animations are drat near about as perfect as you can get them, that's called objective fact that it isn't the engine's fault.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

the panacea posted:

Hahahahahaha

Hey, let's be honest here. Both Bioware having lovely programing skills and Frostbite not being the best option can both be true.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
So since Andromeda hasn't been cleansed of organics by synthetics billions of years ago do we think they're going to address this massive counterexample to the Reaper's dumb theory?

Or are they just going to gloss over it.

It's the latter isn't it?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Crabtree posted:

Hey, let's be honest here. Both Bioware having lovely programing skills and Frostbite not being the best option can both be true.

I agree with the notion that Bioware has no clue about animation and that Frostbite kinda sucks for facial animations.
The BF1 facial animations suck too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Utnayan posted:

When you look at the animations of ME:A currently, and have someone insinuate it's the engine's fault, then point to the engine use in another game in which the animations are drat near about as perfect as you can get them, that's called objective fact that it isn't the engine's fault.

Thanks for continuing to claim your opinions as objective fact. It's really helpful to have more examples of this behavior.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Frostbite being lovely also doesn't excuse bioware because they still chose to use it even though it's poo poo.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Frostbite being lovely also doesn't excuse bioware because they still chose to use it even though it's poo poo.
Let's not kid ourselves, EA invested in Frostbite and they forced everyone to use it because they'll be damned if they pay royalties to Epic for an Unreal Engine license when they have their own tech.

There is also the matter of how it walls off modding which is just fine for EA.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I Am A Robot posted:

So since Andromeda hasn't been cleansed of organics by synthetics billions of years ago do we think they're going to address this massive counterexample to the Reaper's dumb theory?

How would it possibly be addressed? Other than Shepard in ME3, literally nobody has ever learned that the reapers do what they do based on strict theories of history/civilization/synthetic-organic conflict, much less the content of those theories

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

All EA games have to use it now, the only game I've ever liked on it was Bad Company 2 but since then every game on it has dropped the only good thing from it (destruction) and that just leaves you with a mediocre engine.

Then they replaced the euphoria (which should be mandatory in ALL games) FIFA engine with it and they made me a mortal enemy.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Utnayan posted:

I got Bioware. KOTOR. ME1, 2. Original Dragon Age. Jade Empire.

This isn't that Bioware anymore. So let's quit pretending Bioware is the same Bioware first.

Companies are just like people and change over time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

The fact it makes me laugh every time a human talks or emotes is a plus to me, or at least if we're not getting good faces I'd rather get these bad ones.

Okay we've arrived, time to close the thread until the game is out.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Inverness posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, EA invested in Frostbite and they forced everyone to use it because they'll be damned if they pay royalties to Epic for an Unreal Engine license when they have their own tech.

There is also the matter of how it walls off modding which is just fine for EA.

So it goes all the way to the top, my god

Whoever picked the engine was being poo poo at the time, whether it was an EA exec or someone at bioware. If it was out of Bioware's hands, I can't really fault them for it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

So it goes all the way to the top, my god

Whoever picked the engine was being poo poo at the time, whether it was an EA exec or someone at bioware. If it was out of Bioware's hands, I can't really fault them for it.

It isn't the engines fault. It's the developers. Bioware doesn't have any talent what so ever any longer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you think I'd need to have a 1060 to enjoy the game at a decent graphics setting, or will my 750ti cut it?

Also I have logitech dlc I can give away, but it's only redeemable to origin for the PC version

i think a 1060 is way more horsepower than you need to run it at decent settings but, uh, a 750ti is pretty old and not too great to begin with

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I have joked a lot about being more excited for nier:automata than ME:A over the past few months, and now it's actually true. 2017 is fuckin weird.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

neonbregna posted:

Companies are just like people and change over time.

Yes. And the people make the place. So, Bioware is no longer Bioware. Doesn't mean I don't "get" Bioware, unless you are insinuating I don't get the "Current" Bioware, in which case you would be right. Along with the other 99% of us that don't get them either because there isn't anything to get. EA runs the show now. Bioware is nothing but a name now.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
RIP, I was an idiot and pre-ordered the game way back when, so now I can't get the 10% discount from Origin Access. I even contacted their support to see if I could get a credit on my account, but no dice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That clip of Kumail is so cringey. RIP $90 CAD. He's so fantastic in things and this is just terrible loving direction.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still don't see an option to grab the origin access trial version. It still says "Learn more" and takes me to the store page instead of "get it now".

Isn't it supposed to be available for preload now (the trial version)? Anyone else not seeing it? I'll bitch to customer service if it's still not there when I get home I guess

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
"Windows pre-load date: March 17, 2017 6:00 PM CET"

What the heck

Didn't you buttholes say this was coming out today

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zzulu posted:

"Windows pre-load date: March 17, 2017 6:00 PM CET"

What the heck

Didn't you buttholes say this was coming out today

That's for the full version. The trial version (that you get by paying for origin access) is up on 3/16 but someone said it's supposed to be preloadable today? But I think I'm being gaslighted because I don't see any way to get that version at all

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Watching Nexus gameplay now. The colony director's VA is appropriately mass effecty but she might have the deadest face so far.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah i don''t see nuthin

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game looks so bad that it's making people mentally ill

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Control Volume posted:

*iller

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control Volume posted:

Some still haven't recovered from ME3 Ending Derangement Syndrome.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

I Am A Robot posted:

I mean the entirety of the Mass Effect trilogy culminating with Rannoch and the defeat of the Reapers at Earth was the counter-example. It's not like Shepard decided the Reapers were right and let humanity be liquified unless you chose reject.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Firebert posted:

I mean the entirety of the Mass Effect trilogy culminating with Rannoch and the defeat of the Reapers at Earth was the counter-example. It's not like Shepard decided the Reapers were right and let humanity be liquified unless you chose reject.

I chose that ending by accident (I shot starkid)! What a way to finish the trilogy while playing it for the first time.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did Joker's hat become sentient when it was turned in to a robot? Is it forever part of his body now? Does it feel pain? Does the robo-hat need a hat to keep the sun out of it's eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

It's preloadable at 530 pm est today