Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Answer to my prior question seems to be YES at least for the UK! Am watching Space Mutiny via Netflix right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm glad Brute Man ranked so high. I liked that one.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Glad to see Hamlet at the bottom where it belongs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm watching The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, as I read that article, and already I can see they got the wrong riff for the movie (it's definitely all the transportation references during the roller coaster scenes). Tch. What do you know about anything, Paste Magazine?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm watching The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, as I read that article, and already I can see they got the wrong riff for the movie (it's definitely all the transportation references during the roller coaster scenes). Tch. What do you know about anything, Paste Magazine?

They got the literal wrong riff for another movie. Sue's Vietnam flashback was in Monster a Go Go, not whatever movie he listed it for.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Creeper, creeper. You give me the creeps!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

They got the literal wrong riff for another movie. Sue's Vietnam flashback was in Monster a Go Go, not whatever movie he listed it for.

If you mean the one they list for Incredibly Strange Creatures, Crow does say it (he's referring to himself, in response to a seemingly random shot of some carnival stuff).

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Wait, from the short "Are You Ready For Marriage?" That's not from Monster A-Go-Go. That had "Circus on Ice". I can't remember which movie the marriage short is before though.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DivisionPost posted:

No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISQ8NbQZZRg

From Are You Ready for Marriage? the short from episode 616, Racket Girls - the episode it's attributed to in the list.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Oh Christ, how the poo poo did I get that confused?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
There are nearly 200 episodes, a feature length film, and multiple spin-offs. That's a lot even for a dedicated fan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

There are nearly 200 episodes, a feature length film, and multiple spin-offs. That's a lot even for a dedicated fan.

Tell me about it! I'm barely halfway through season 8 and I'm starting to hear the theme song when I sleep.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
It's so loving catchy. I'll forget where my keys are the second I set them down and I can sing every seasons theme song from memory somehow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It's so loving catchy. I'll forget where my keys are the second I set them down and I can sing every seasons theme song from memory somehow.

It's just like the new Tom Servo says!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...149397726,d.eWE

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

How in the hell did Radar Secret Service get so high on the list. Really the bottom 10 should be nothing but season 1, Hamlet, Starfighters and that.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's a good list but Red Zone Cuba should be higher. That and Skydivers are favorites.

Beast of Yucca Flats is a slog though.

We're aligned exactly on Hobgoblins though. I love that riff and it's an easy watch. Always confused by those who couldn't tolerate it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like Radar Secret Service better than Hobgoblins. I wonder if it's an age thing?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Gaz-L posted:

Answer to my prior question seems to be YES at least for the UK! Am watching Space Mutiny via Netflix right now!

I wasn't super hopeful, but yeah, nothing on German Netflix. The healthcare, good transportation system, and cool amazing German wife are all very very nice perks, but dadgummit, I'm probably screwed out of the new season via legal means.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Bicyclops posted:

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

Just wanted to say this is one of my favorite episodes, with one of my all-time favorite bits on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHM9FeluKo

"Did she say 'I'm never Jack,' or am I freaking out?!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Whenever anyone brings up Starfighters, I always think of the entry in the Colossal Guide where Frank says that people regularly come up to him and ask why the hell they even did that movie to begin with.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
So Netflix is trying to ruin a chance of new fans by putting Manos as the first episode? Bold move.

Then again it was MY first episode and I'm a fan.

Ballz posted:

How in the hell did Radar Secret Service get so high on the list.

ATTENTION. YOU WILL LOVE RADAR. GIVE YOURSELF TO IT FREELY.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Okay okay okay. I'll leave the Bronx.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
How on earth can anyone hate Starfighters?

It's basically a fool's errand to rank every episode but drat it if people aren't going to try it anyway.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 15, 2017

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

How on earth can anyone hate Starfighters?

It's one of those movies where there's just a huge pile of nothing. The riffing is great, but some people have trouble when the movie is extra dull or bad.

Personally, I love that one. When I went up to the Air Force museum in Dayton with some family, I was glad to see an actual Starfighter and the weird rescue helicopter on display. I think I actually pointed out the helicopter to my wife while saying, "They're off to the rescue in a highly dangerous prototype."

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mace Bacon posted:

So Netflix is trying to ruin a chance of new fans by putting Manos as the first episode? Bold move.

Then again it was MY first episode and I'm a fan.

The first episode I actually sat down to watch was A Touch of Satan years ago on Netflix, but I couldn't find or remember the title until real recently. It's a great introduction, but I've also used Mitchell for family members - the jokes are that strong.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Mitchell, Space Mutiny, Pumaman and Werewolf are the starters I tend to use.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Going to the girlfriends house tonight to show her MST3K for the first time. She's seen Rifftrax, just not the original.

I was hoping The Giant Spider Invasion would be part of the batch since that was filmed around where she grew up.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mokinokaro posted:

Mitchell, Space Mutiny, Pumaman and Werewolf are the starters I tend to use.

This and Time Chasers is my exact list.

"The guy's office is in a branch library?"

"Castleton Snob!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Time Chasers also has a really good opening sketch with Mike and Pearl hanging out in Pearl's van. Mary-Jo's performance just kills me every time.

"Sometimes I think I lie... because I'm evil... :sigh:"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pumaman is probably the absolute best MST for me, and I always use that as the intro for others. Good skits between riffing, a movie that's poo poo but in a fun way, and really fuckin good jokes in the riff itself.

Also hey, didn't know the new series starts in a month, type to get hyped.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Time Chasers also has a really good opening sketch with Mike and Pearl hanging out in Pearl's van. Mary-Jo's performance just kills me every time.

"Sometimes I think I lie... because I'm evil... :sigh:"

Well guess which one I watched first on Netflix?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I introduce people by showing them a date with you family short. 10 minutes, grade a-riffing. People rarely sit through a 2 hour movie of something new, but 10 minutes is great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aw man, no MST3K on Netflix in my stupid backwoods country. :finland: Season 11 apparently isn't coming either, finally got around to checking that (not that I really expected it to be available in the first place, but I was holding on to that tiny sliver of hope). edit: Oh, I see the countries were listed in the OP all along :downs:

Well, no worries there, I'll just use a VPN. Oh wait, I can't because Netflix is now blocking those.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Doc Morbid posted:

Aw man, no MST3K on Netflix in my stupid backwoods country. :finland: Season 11 apparently isn't coming either, finally got around to checking that (not that I really expected it to be available in the first place, but I was holding on to that tiny sliver of hope). edit: Oh, I see the countries were listed in the OP all along :downs:

Well, no worries there, I'll just use a VPN. Oh wait, I can't because Netflix is now blocking those.

It sucks. I've been pestering the heck out of them on social media, but I think the fanbase in non-English speaking Europe is so tiny that we've pretty much got no choice but slap down a zillion bux for a dvd/blu-ray/download whenever those become available.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

To be fair, I really wouldn't want to be the guy who has to translate episodes of MST3K into Finnish (or any other language for that matter) because that would just be an absolute nightmare (and that's before you take into account the fact you'd need to have one set of subtitles for the movie and another for the riffs). Well, unless I got paid really well, but audiovisual translators in this country usually don't.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah, these would be a nightmare to localize since so many riffs depend on bad line delivery and/or english wordplay to work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pumaman is probably the absolute best MST for me, and I always use that as the intro for others. Good skits between riffing, a movie that's poo poo but in a fun way, and really fuckin good jokes in the riff itself.

I agree with this and feel that it's my only major dispute with that Paste list. I even find myself enjoying the movie on its own outside of the terrible special effects, costumes and that line about dinosaurs falling in love.

"You the guy that's been writing anti-Aztec stuff on the bathroom wall?" is one of my all-time favorite riffs.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Clouseau posted:

It's a good list but Red Zone Cuba should be higher. That and Skydivers are favorites.

Beast of Yucca Flats is a slog though.

We're aligned exactly on Hobgoblins though. I love that riff and it's an easy watch. Always confused by those who couldn't tolerate it.

for some reason John Caradine song in the beginning is catchy to me. It's probably an example of good bad music; A relatively unexplored area of good bad

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 15, 2017

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PrinceRandom posted:

for some reason John Caradine song in the beginning is catchy to me. It's probably an example of good bad music; A relatively unexplored area of good bad

I wish Danzig did a cover of Night Train to Mundo Finé.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PrinceRandom posted:

This is how I feel about "We Live to Rock" from Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare.