Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

ME2 and 3.... slow burn? Mass Effect 1 sure. That's a plodding game that turns into a wild loving ride once you hit about 2/3rds and go to Virmire. Virmire to the ending of Mass Effect 1 is loving amazing though. Mass Effect 2 is masterfully paced. Mass Effect 3 couldn't really decide on a pace and is the worse for it.

I may be describing what I meant in a bad way: ME1 had you feeling like you were involved in the plot rather early on and could go do whatever (on the Citadel at least) , whereas ME2 you were still trying to figure out what was even going on for a few missions and got your first chance to actually decide on what to do next and where to go a long ways into that. ME3 was... well, it had a bunch of stuff like the initial Earth and Mars acts, the strange dreams with the kid holding you back and so on before you could actually start doing stuff on your own. I'm saying less story pace and more "let me play the game like I want and not be sent through linear levels" pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They're releasing a smartphone app that will let you send out strike team missions and manage your multiplayer characters loadout/inventory(Sure?) but it's on a staggered release.

quote:

APEX HQ Launch Dates
March 15, 2017
Canada, Ireland, Romania and Singapore
March 20, 2017
Worldwide
:crossarms:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

AngryBooch posted:

This is also why the Reapers have already failed in their mission to prevent AI from "destroying all organic life forever because that's what always happens!"

In Mass Effect 2 you go to a Geth station located in the darkspace between stars. Literally impossible to find unless you already know where it is. Who knows how many stations like this the Geth already have where they can out wait the Reaper cycle.

aren't at that point the geth still like super hyped about making themselves known to the reapers when they show up though

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Laffo, the service rep offered me a discount code to make up for it. Yeah sure, dude, there's so many games on Origin that I'd actually be willing to buy, thanks :colbert: I was previously in the 'Eh, if people want to pre-order, let them pre-order' camp, but I definitely realize how dumb that way of thinking is now.

I've never had issues getting a refund on origin, generally the "date of purchase" doesn't start until the game is released, so you have 24 hours if you launch the game, and 7 days if you don't, to get your money back from the date the game is released.

I mean I've gotten refunds well past any of their guidelines as well, their policy is insanely generous.

e: To be clear, don't ask for credit or whatever, just straight up ask them for a refund.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 15, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They're AI, not algorithms.
What if they're really pedantic?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

aren't at that point the geth still like super hyped about making themselves known to the reapers when they show up though

Half of the Geth like the Reapers and half the Geth do not due to a rounding difference in their code.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nordick posted:

Plus the Reapers are programmed to kill everything in the galaxy, if they found the arks outside the galaxy they'd just be like "Welp Jim, they're outside our jurisdiction now, nothin' we can do"

*the Tempest, with a giant Confederate flag painted on the brow, charging toward a mass effect relay with six reapers chasing close behind*
"Eh, looks like them Ryder siblings are at it again!"
*Tempest does a sweet gravity jump around a planet, Reapers fall in and get stuck in mud*
"Yeeeeeeee-hah! Once dem boys hit the relay, ain't no way the Reapers gon' get them back."

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cross-Section posted:

Mass Effect Archives: Download some faces, and maybe a soundtrack I guess?

On the soundtrack:
+5 points for a neat blend of orchestral and electronica
-10 for the lack of a Faunts-like credits song

I love it when we get a Homeworld Soundtrack "Yes"-like bonus song. Bummer.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Kurieg posted:

They're releasing a smartphone app that will let you send out strike team missions and manage your multiplayer characters loadout/inventory(Sure?) but it's on a staggered release.

Hahaha what. "Yes, perfect, my multiplayer dude is masterfully kitted out. Now to hop into a match and.....oh, wait."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Half of the Geth like the Reapers and half the Geth do not due to a rounding difference in their code.

ah ok it's been a few years

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

poisonpill posted:

*the Tempest, with a giant Confederate flag painted on the brow, charging toward a mass effect relay with six reapers chasing close behind*
"Eh, looks like them Ryder siblings are at it again!"
*Tempest does a sweet gravity jump around a planet, Reapers fall in and get stuck in mud*
"Yeeeeeeee-hah! Once dem boys hit the relay, ain't no way the Reapers gon' get them back."

The tempest does a donut and sprays ionizing fumes at the collected reapers.

"I CALL THIS ONE PAINTIN THE FENCE"

"WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

*Reapers hilariously flail around and fall over in space somehow*

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Is this the exact same mechanic as the latest WoW expansion? Not sure how I feel about this. The real time stuff in DA:I was super weird too.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*Tempest blasts "I wish I was in Dixie" as it warps out*

You motherfuckers are making this game sound way more fun than it's likely to be. It's just cruel, it is.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

So is early access this evening in the US and not on the 16th?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kurieg posted:

So kind of like what they had for ME3 where you could send out ships to attack the Reapers and bump your readiness score? I liked dumb stuff like that.

Has it been confirmed how multiplayer ties into the single player? Like...what are the rewards? Its not galactic readiness. Crafting supplies?

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Is this the exact same mechanic as the latest WoW expansion? Not sure how I feel about this. The real time stuff in DA:I was super weird too.

The DA:I stuff was weird because it was all contained in-game. Assassins Creed 4 had a similar thing where you'd build a fleet of pirate ships and send them on missions for extra resources but you could do it via an app. I liked it. :shobon:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

FunkMonkey posted:

*Tempest blasts "I wish I was in Dixie" as it warps out*

You motherfuckers are making this game sound way more fun than it's likely to be. It's just cruel, it is.

ME:A as a dukes of hazzard remake in space would be a loving amazing game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pretty sure they said MP was just for yucks this time around.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snuffman posted:

The DA:I stuff was weird because it was all contained in-game. Assassins Creed 4 had a similar thing where you'd build a fleet of pirate ships and send them on missions for extra resources but you could do it via an app. I liked it. :shobon:

That and Dead Space 3 with the little roombas picking up scrap. What a weird meta game mechanic world we live in now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You get SP rewards for MP. I can't recall right off hand, but I do think it's better crafting supplies or weapon drops than if you automatically sent the strike team.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alan Is More Upset posted:

If they're going to do realtime stuff, they basically need to include a smartphone app. It's fine. The "manage your multiplayer loadouts" Thing seems bizarre though.

Snuffman posted:

So kind of like what they had for ME3 where you could send out ships to attack the Reapers and bump your readiness score? I liked dumb stuff like that.

Has it been confirmed how multiplayer ties into the single player? Like...what are the rewards? Its not galactic readiness. Crafting supplies?

From what I understand, it's gear.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
"What could have been..." from the gaf thread:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"the ladies need to be sexier" isn't really what the problem is with the bioware faces

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 2 has some of the best pacing in any game ever made. In the two hours it's been taking people to complete Andromeda's plodding intro mission, Shepard in ME2 was killed, resurrected, escaped a Cerberus facility, met TIM and Miranda, met Tali and uncovered the Collector plot, and touched down on Omega to recruit Mordin. Every game should aspire to have an opening as tight as ME2's.

That's very true, but you already cared about Shepard's fate when you played ME2, it's not really comparable to the first game after a soft reboot of the setting.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

If they're going to do realtime stuff, they basically need to include a smartphone app. It's fine. The "manage your multiplayer loadouts" Thing seems bizarre though.

From what I understand, it's gear.

Managing multiplayer loadouts works pretty well for other games, it gives you something to do when you're loading into a match or pooping on the toilet

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cowcaster posted:

"the ladies need to be sexier" isn't really what the problem is with the bioware faces

And editing one image in photoshop is a lot easier than creating a whole 3D model.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

yup

but tbf there are no asari faces like the modified one so I thought "neat" because of the novelty

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Peebee's supposed to be kind of homely looking for an asari, the problem is mostly in how all the models move and behave. And those cold lifeless eyes, like a doll's eyes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cross-Section posted:

Mass Effect Archives: Download some faces, and maybe a soundtrack I guess?

On the soundtrack:
+5 points for a neat blend of orchestral and electronica
-10 for the lack of a Faunts-like credits song

Presumably this'll be the Dragon Age Keep of Mass Effect eventually?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

how am i supposed to jerk it to sara ryder if she doesn't look like a model

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

So is early access this evening in the US and not on the 16th?

...this is in 3 and a half hours? is it accurate that i can pay 5 bux and play this in 3 and a half hours?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

how am i supposed to jerk it to sara ryder if she doesn't look like a model

Not sure but... you've come to the right place.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well the floodgates have certainly opened on posts in this thread. :v:

Has anyone posted the Skills and Abilities page? It doesn't have numbers, but it does list all the evolutions available.

Also, this guy:

Stealth Party could be pretty clutch.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

that angara helmet is triggering me something fierce

those lights, lmao

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cams posted:

...this is in 3 and a half hours? is it accurate that i can pay 5 bux and play this in 3 and a half hours?

Assuming origin actually lets you download it :argh:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So, who's going to play the gently caress out of the single player during the trial? 10 hours is about the amount of free time I'm going to have from here to friday so it'll be almost like preordering it without actually doing it. :v:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Well the floodgates have certainly opened on posts in this thread. :v:

Has anyone posted the Skills and Abilities page? It doesn't have numbers, but it does list all the evolutions available.

Also, this guy:

Stealth Party could be pretty clutch.

Oh hey, flamethrower, incinerate, a wide array of grenades. Super duper, I'm on board.

....yes, I'm always the demo guy in multiplayer things, what of it?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

cams posted:

:10bux: I think, but yeah.

Edit: Or wait is Origin Access on 5bux?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lance has a "shield-powered" option at the top of its tree, successor to phase disruptor confirmed

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The reapers are basically just dialectical materialists. they assume that the entire progress of civilization is determined by the available technology and culminates in the creation of synthetic life, which inevitably brings about an entirely synthetic civilization after an inevitable war. "The cycle cannot be broken ... your civilization is based on the technology of the mass relays, our technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire."

This is why the reapers develop a disdain for Shepard as a disruption of the cycle before they ultimately accept him as a world-historical figure. The ending choice is accepting the thesis of liberal, inclusive galactic society by destroying the reapers and letting it progress naturally, accepting the antithesis of that society by becoming an element-zero-fisted Sovereign, or the synthesis. They're marx students who thought they could avoid reading Hegel, but nobody escapes Hegel

The point here is that the reapers view themselves as hyper-objective scientists of civilization itself who have come to perfectly understand its universal logic, which is basically the core opposite of postmodern thought

Okay but to be clear I was making a claim about the authors (Bioware) not Sovereign as a character. Specifically, writing a story with the "reality" of ME1 being constructed by a superior power to use and abuse for their own ends. And, of course, ultimately the Reapers are cast as villains, just as trapped in Vendetta's cycle as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

gmq posted:

So, who's going to play the gently caress out of the single player during the trial? 10 hours is about the amount of free time I'm going to have from here to friday so it'll be almost like preordering it without actually doing it. :v:

I'm only doing single player, I think. I'm going to do all of the available missions really really really slowly. Also knowing how I play these games I'll probably have to restart at least twice because the face looks weird in the game. :(