Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

You guys are really making me think the past two months did something to step up Ex-Aid. I gave up on it eight episodes ago.

It went from good to great once it stopped having an opening and used 100% of its time for the episodes. Even the sponsor part.

I wonder if we'll ever see that opening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blaze Dragon posted:

It went from good to great once it stopped having an opening and used 100% of its time for the episodes. Even the sponsor part.

Huh. The worst part was when the opening was a movie ad. I felt like I kept seeing those teasers forever.

KR as a franchise has so many crossovers that I as a newer viewer coming from super sentai sometimes have no clue what I'm looking at. I've seen a video on YouTube of Dan interfering with a KR Ghost fight(?) Is it common for them to do something like have characters from the next series make cameos in the one that's ending? Because that's a neat way to bait people into the next show, though it forces a linearity so now "200 years in the future, Earth is ruled by a man in a rubber suit..." plots.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I actually kind of like this new format and hope it sticks around for a while. The only other show I can think of that did something like this was Abaranger where they would play the ending credits early so they could devote a little more time to the episode at the end.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Huh. The worst part was when the opening was a movie ad. I felt like I kept seeing those teasers forever.

KR as a franchise has so many crossovers that I as a newer viewer coming from super sentai sometimes have no clue what I'm looking at. I've seen a video on YouTube of Dan interfering with a KR Ghost fight(?) Is it common for them to do something like have characters from the next series make cameos in the one that's ending?

It's been recently especially. It used to be limited to the summer movies, and those tended to be better. Fourze's cameo in the OOO movie is amazing. Just... Eiji's reaction to Gentaro swinging him around with the Magic Arm to fling him at the enemy without warning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
many of the movies have good scenes, but none of them are actually good movies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, they're annual summer kids' films so they have to establish and resolve a plot arc external to the main conflict and ultimately unimpactful on the main cast in 50-60 minutes, but I liked W's and Fourze's.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

You guys are really making me think the past two months did something to step up Ex-Aid. I gave up on it eight episodes ago.

ex-aid is fuckin wild dude

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Motto posted:

I mean, they're annual summer kids' films so they have to establish and resolve a plot arc external to the main conflict and ultimately unimpactful on the main cast in 50-60 minutes, but I liked W's and Fourze's.

I like W's other than freaking Luna Dopant who is just the worst. I also like OOO's which is overall decent and had the amazing bit where Kougami uses Eiji's mindset to scam the villain into losing a deal with the devil with him. Decade's is also pretty good, Shadow Moon bits not-withstanding.

There are some much better non-summer movies, though. W Returns: Accel is the best.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

We're three episodes in!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

for those of you who weren't following along earlier i guess twitch is streaming all of poewr rangers

all 831 episodes

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's just that while the scale of his pettiness is outlandish it's not really that crazy that a well off dude wants to gently caress over someone he perceives to be lesser than him

Yes, exactly.

Craptacular! posted:

Ex-Aid's writing has been extremely questionable but it's really upped its game in terms of style. It's a baby slapfight, but it's the best baby slapfight.
A lot of the new forms have cool abilities and the fight scenes use them really well. Taddle Fantasy is probably my favorite Rider form in recent memory.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Going through Kamen Rider Drive due to not having more Ex-Aid.

Got to the Kamen Rider 3 movie and Shocker!Otta makes me very uncomfortable.

EDIT: WHY IS EVERYONE DYING

EDIT 2: well that was utter nonsense. But I did like Kamen Rider 3 a lot. Shame we'll never see him again.

Has anyone subbed Kamen Rider 4 yet?

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 15, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Going through Kamen Rider Drive due to not having more Ex-Aid.

Got to the Kamen Rider 3 movie and Shocker!Otta makes me very uncomfortable.

EDIT: WHY IS EVERYONE DYING

EDIT 2: well that was utter nonsense. But I did like Kamen Rider 3 a lot. Shame we'll never see him again.

Has anyone subbed Kamen Rider 4 yet?

Yep! It's available through TVN only though, so naturally you have to search their tracker for Kamen Rider Yongou. It's an enjoyable special, I think. More Drive is always welcome.

Also if you've seen Gaim, the Drive section and final section of Movie Wars Full Throttle are wonderful.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I watched that earlier. It made me feel better about Gaim's ending.

Ugh. Is the sub at least passable for TVN though?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I thought it was decent enough. It's TVN, so the main flaw for me is just the stiff, literal translations and leaving in random Japanese VS Over-Time's complete translation and more charming character voice and localization. As far as I could tell there weren't any blatant inaccuracies, but my Japanese is just so-so.

As for Full Throttle, while I could take or leave the actual ties to Gaim as a series, it just cracks me up nowdays when Gaim comes back and just does ridiculous poo poo because he's a god. Drive and Gaim just palling around in the car in space (after de-transforming to fit into it) was just really funny.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Please buckle up, Mr. God."

I guess I'll suffer through it to find out how Gou comes back, though.

And more Faiz suffering is always fun.

EDIT - I'm only a few minutes in and we have Shocker Combatmen in lab coats.

LAB COATS.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kamen Rider #4 is basically Groundhog Day with superheroes. I will give it credit for actually calling back to and improving upon Faiz's crappy ending though (plus it was nice to see Kaido again as he was one of the few characters from that show I actually liked).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Kaido was also one of the few Orphenoc that actually survived the ending too, the only other one I can remember was the Lucky Clover lady who devoted her life to sitting beside the Orphenoc King's life support chamber.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Kamen Rider #4 is basically Groundhog Day with superheroes. I will give it credit for actually calling back to and improving upon Faiz's crappy ending though (plus it was nice to see Kaido again as he was one of the few characters from that show I actually liked).

As someone who likes to say that Faiz is 80% of a favorite Rider show for them, that was a pleasant surprise. Although my actual favorite bit from KR #4 is Takumi and Yuto's utter disregard for Go's overly long catchphrase. (Also, the KR #4 suit is utterly amazing.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so does someone who knows more about Showa wanna explain to me what the Great Leader's deal is?

I know he's some sort of nebulous entity that takes whatever form is convenient but is there an explanation for why he's this way?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

so does someone who knows more about Showa wanna explain to me what the Great Leader's deal is?

I know he's some sort of nebulous entity that takes whatever form is convenient but is there an explanation for why he's this way?

*Runs into room* miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The Great Leader in the original continuity was once a Tibetan Monk with the mystical power to raise people from the dead. During this time he had met with Doctor Shinigami and likely started forging the early links that would become Shocker after Nazi Germany's collapse. However, at a certain point, the Great Leader reached true enlightenment, but completely cut ties with his own emotions and humanity. He ascended as a Buddhavista, effectively an immortal unbound spirit that could appear in many different forms and identities to help humanity reach enlightenment.

The problem being that the Great Leader had lost his humanity, and found the best way to raise humanity to his level was to cut away theirs.

The Great Leader's ultimate goals are and have always been unifying humanity and improving them as a species. He just does so without any morality or good will. He also perpetuates conflict to drive humanity forward- this is why he often pits his own discordant organizations against one another to see which will prevail.

In a way, Kamen Rider is his ideal for humanity. So he continues to try and make humanity become like Kamen Rider, or failing that, his own monstrous soldiers.

He is shown repeatedly to possess multiple identities and bodies at the same time, that are explicitly Him. Stronger and RX show this the most clearly, with the Great Leader of Black Satan explicitly being the same as the Great Leader of the Delza Army, tricking Shadow into betraying the former for the latter and then doing away with him when he had reached the end of his use.

This is how the Great Leader has had so many different and weird identities, ranging from being the God of Death to an alien to a giant goddamn dragon.

It also means that he can never truly be defeated, and never truly be stopped, fitting for the tragedy of the Kamen Rider's story. The Great Leader is ultimately a force of nature, one that must be opposed in a never ending battle.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh. Neat.

He's a bit like a Lovecraftian Wile E. Coyote then.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It also might mean that Decade is literally the Great Leader just loving around with everyone and everything.

Would not be the first time he's tried to incarnate as a Kamen Rider. Just ask ZO

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Decade and Narutaki make a lot more sense if you consider them to be sentient literary agents, who change to fit the roles of the story they inhabit. Decade is literally the embodiment of a Kamen Rider, with all the contradictions, positives, and negatives that entails. He's simultaneously heroic and selfish, simple but convoluted, a destroyer and a creator, a Rider and Shocker at the same time. While Narutaki is "the enemy".

I hope they never explain what their deal is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So that's Kamen Rider 4 down.

For someone who's never watched a moment of Faiz, they did a pretty good job of making me sad about Takumi's ultimate fate.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

So that's Kamen Rider 4 down.

For someone who's never watched a moment of Faiz, they did a pretty good job of making me sad about Takumi's ultimate fate.

I love how KR#4 basically had Takumi confused by the ending of Faiz too and how he showed up alive in Kamen Rider Wars. Like he's not unhappy about it, but...

Edit: Takumi's kind of my favorite main Rider so that did hit me really hard at the end. (On top of generally liking the character, the reveal about him in episode 34 and how many of the scenes with him throughout the entire run of the series take on a different tone and you can tell from his acting it was intended all along is amazing.)

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm seriously considering braving TVN's lovely work to find out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is OT never doing KR4? Is that why people are actually watching TVN subs?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Is OT never doing KR4? Is that why people are actually watching TVN subs?

Well, they haven't so far. While I'm not going to praise TV-N over other groups quality-wise unless they really screw up (early Midnight Crew releases of Kuuga), I do appreciate them subbing basically everything including side stuff nobody else touches.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm seriously considering braving TVN's lovely work to find out.

I think somebody at least did a scrub of TVN's Faiz subs as I remember seeing a version where the subs say "Transform" instead of "Henshin" and the dialouge in general feels a bit more natural sounding, not sure where to find it though.

gourdcaptain posted:

Well, they haven't so far. While I'm not going to praise TV-N over other groups quality-wise unless they really screw up (early Midnight Crew releases of Kuuga), I do appreciate them subbing basically everything including side stuff nobody else touches.

Yeah, I'll give them that at least, the only thing they don't seem to care much for is doing older shows (which is why their Megaranger and Timeranger projects have been long since abandoned). I have watched their subs when nothing else was available (then again I've also watched HK subs and even raws when that was all that was available to me, I'm not terribly picky in regards to this kind of thing). Hell, despite being examples of TVN at their worst I actually still enjoyed shows like Den-O (the series, the movies are a different story) and Magiranger (which, despite being a show centered around a family they for some reason refused to translate the words meaning "Mom", "Dad", "Brother" or "Sister").

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 15, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

I think somebody at least did a scrub of TVN's Faiz subs as I remember seeing a version where the subs say "Transform" instead of "Henshin" and the dialouge in general feels a bit more natural sounding, not sure where to find it though.

Yeah, I'll give them that at least, the only thing they don't seem to care much for is doing older shows (which is why their Megaranger and Timeranger projects have been long since abandoned). I have watched their subs when nothing else was available (then again I've also watched HK subs and even raws when that was all that was available to me, I'm not terribly picky in regards to this kind of thing). Hell, despite being examples of TVN at their worst I actually still enjoyed shows like Den-O (the series, the movies are a different story) and Magiranger (which, despite being a show centered around a family they for some reason refused to translate the words meaning "Mom", "Dad", "Brother" or "Sister").

1) Transform as opposed to Henshin would probably make sense as a better sub style, but I'm so used to Henshin I'd miss it. Subs that use "Masked Rider" instead of "Kamen Rider" are just wrong to me and I can use trying not to link it with Saban's Masked Rider and link it with Kamen Rider Dragon Knight as a legitimate-sounding excuse for that.
2) They put out some new Timeranger subs recently.
3) I don't think any translation could make Climax Deka good. Or even watchable. I love riffing on bad movies, and that film still was a miserable slog.

EDIT: Blade is their worst. As bad as some other subs get, I don't think they released ten episodes in 16x3 aspect ratio again.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

1) Transform as opposed to Henshin would probably make sense as a better sub style, but I'm so used to Henshin I'd miss it. Subs that use "Masked Rider" instead of "Kamen Rider" are just wrong to me and I can use trying not to link it with Saban's Masked Rider and link it with Kamen Rider Dragon Knight as a legitimate-sounding excuse for that.
2) They put out some new Timeranger subs recently.
3) I don't think any translation could make Climax Deja good. Or even watchable. I love riffing on bad movies, and that film still was a miserable slog.

Aside from one of the Agito subs (which was only in the opening credits anyway(, what other subs have actually called them "Masked Rider"?

Yeah that's why I specified Den-O the series, I didn't really care much for most of the stuff that followed it (what was it about that show that made Toei decide to milk the poo poo out of it for a while anyway?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 15, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah that's why I specified Den-O the series, I didn't really care much for most of the stuff that followed it (what was it about that show that made Toei decide to milk the poo poo out of it for a while anyway?)

Ludicrous popularity, if I remember correctly. The real frustrating thing with especially the later stuff is Ryotaro's actor dropping out and them replacing him with different actor nonentities. They decided the real core of Den-O's appeal was Wacky 'Taros Shenanigans and then doubled down on that (poorly, it's not even good 'Taros shenanigans) to the exclusion of all else, including sensical plots and villains that make any sense. Climax Deka's a different case of just being amazingly awful as well as for a supposed Kiva crossover, having basically no Kiva in it (one untransformed scene, one transformed scene where Wataru doesn't say anything). I mean, I'll admit I'm one of only seven or so people worldwide who are huge Kiva fans (and I personally know four of them) but come on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Ludicrous popularity, if I remember correctly. The real frustrating thing with especially the later stuff is Ryotaro's actor dropping out and them replacing him with different actor nonentities. They decided the real core of Den-O's appeal was Wacky 'Taros Shenanigans and then doubled down on that (poorly, it's not even good 'Taros shenanigans) to the exclusion of all else, including sensical plots and villains that make any sense. Climax Deka's a different case of just being amazingly awful as well as for a supposed Kiva crossover, having basically no Kiva in it (one untransformed scene, one transformed scene where Wataru doesn't say anything). I mean, I'll admit I'm one of only seven or so people worldwide who are huge Kiva fans (and I personally know four of them) but come on.

Climax Deka doesn't even make sense in regards to the Den-O part (they're suddenly detectives for some reason which is never mentioned again). There was also the Decade "crossover" movie later on where the Decade cast appeared for a whole 2 scenes. Let's Go Kamen Riders was a little better in terms of giving non-Den-O characters some more time in the limelight though that movie had plenty of its own problems to make up for it.

To be fair though, Ryotaro's actor has expressed interest in returning to the franchise but the problem is he's a pretty big actor in Japan now (he played the starring role in the live-action Rurouni Kenshin movies for example) and as such is unfortunately at the mercy of his agency (which seems to happen a lot with toku actors, ShinkenRed and the original AkibaBlue being other examples).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 15, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Climax Deka doesn't even make sense in regards to the Den-O part (they're suddenly detectives for some reason which is never mentioned again). There was also the Decade "crossover" movie later on where the Decade cast appeared for a whole 2 scenes. Let's Go Kamen Riders was a little better in terms of giving non-Den-O characters some more time in the limelight though that movie had plenty of its own problems to make up for it.

To be fair though, Ryotaro's actor has expressed interest in returning to the franchise but the problem is he's a pretty big actor in Japan now (he played the starring role in the live-action Rurouni Kenshin movies for example) and as such is unfortunately at the mercy of his agency (which seems to happen a lot with toku actors, ShinkenRed and the original AkibaBlue being other examples).

Let's Go at least has amazing stuff like Ankh's reaction to the Young Rider Club (or whatever it's called) and such, yeah. I wasn't blaming the actor so much as blaming Toei for making the movies without him and having a giant obvious Ryotaro-shaped hole in them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did anyone ever do scrubs of 555?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

did anyone ever do scrubs of 555?

In the "move to better footage" type, TV-N kinda did one themselves to a decent (not Bunny Hat quality, but alright) version off the DVD sources. They also cleaned up the translation from "Early Blade era TV-N" to "better TV-N" when they did so - the first time I watched 555 was with the earlier version for the last half, and seeing it again with the revision is at least some improvement on the translation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrm.

Do I wanna brave it or not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hrm.

Do I wanna brave it or not.

555 really isn't worth it.

It really isn't.

I say that with it having some of the best suits in the franchise

It's really not. The best 555 thing made is Kamen rider 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

555 really isn't worth it.

It really isn't.

I say that with it having some of the best suits in the franchise

It's really not. The best 555 thing made is Kamen rider 4

Agreed, well I'd say Paradise Lost is worth watching even if you don't watch anything else of Faiz

• Locked thread