Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Update:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115924

Racer X says, "we think this was from an impact with something on the highway" twice.

Meanwhile, they are sending rod ends to replace the poly bushing housings to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

jamal posted:

Update:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115924

Racer X says, "we think this was from an impact with something on the highway" twice.

Meanwhile, they are sending rod ends to replace the poly bushing housings to everyone.

loving shitheads. Chalk that up for another business to never do business with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you read the post history from the dude with the failure he had an incident well -before- installing the control arms that likely is what bent his front wheels.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How to "repair" a leaking brake line

http://imgur.com/a/fHK8F

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lime Tonics posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume they're taking the piss and being funny for the internet.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I believe it. I used to work with a mechanic who had the same problem, to one of his rear brakes. His solution was to cut the line and weld it shut.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I mean, if you're in the middle of bumfuck nowhere trying to get home then it's fine, but he doesn't qualify it as an "emergency" repair, just "welp, that's fixt 'er"...

I've blanked off a brake line on a twin-disk motorcycle front end just to get the bike running safely enough to move it between workshops.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lime Tonics posted:

As far as I know my old roommate is still driving his $100 Nissan hardbody with a bolt in the master cylinder output to the rear brake circuit. Started leaking ~8 years ago when we were broke college students. He's not the kind of person that would go back and fix it...whole line probably rusted away by now anyway.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Lime Tonics posted:

Done this, but left vise grips on the line so I could get down the mountain and we welded it shut so I could get home. If its stupid and it works, its not stupid.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What the gently caress? Isn't brake fluid flammable

er inflammable?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lime Tonics posted:

As others have said, maybe a get-you home bodge. Though Seems like a lot of effort compared to folding it over and hammering flat.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 14, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

er inflammable?

Once you weld the line shut it can't burn anymore :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Uhhh, just don't use your brakes for the rest of the journey home? You'll even arrive there sooner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ7lGA27wAw&t=35s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

er inflammable?

Brake fluids are flammable, but not like gasoline or acetone or anything. They're heavy oils and burn as such, like cooking oil.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I replaced a six inch section of the metal power steering line with some rubber fuel line hose clamped together so a friend could get back and forth to work for three days until she got paid. That was four years ago. I've mentioned many times since then but she doesn't want to spend $15 on a new metal line for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I replaced a six inch section of the metal power steering line with some rubber fuel line hose clamped together so a friend could get back and forth to work for three days until she got paid. That was four years ago. I've mentioned many times since then but she doesn't want to spend $15 on a new metal line for it.
That is the dumbest poo poo.

You know, term life insurance policies are pretty cheap.
You might want to take one out on your friend so you can collect when they run off a cliff / drown in their own toilet / forget to breathe.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I hope you put two clamps on each end, you know, for safety.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Nope, just one hose clamp on each end. She's lucky I had those in my toolbox, otherwise it would have been zip ties.

The oil probably hasn't been changed in two years or so. That's the last time that I did it for them. I got tired of pestering them about it.

This is thier good car, the one that they haul thier three children around in. If something major (or relatively minor) happens to it they can't afford to fix it. I don't know why they refuse to do basic maintenance.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I don't know why they refuse to do basic maintenance.

Wayyy too many people do this poo poo. I wonder what percentage of accidents and fatalities in cars are caused by this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe if the US had effective vehicle inspections we'd not only have some data on the subject, but get these jalopies off the road.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm interested in seeing what that tube looks like while she's steering.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Biscuit Joiner posted:

This is thier good car, the one that they haul thier three children around in. If something major (or relatively minor) happens to it they can't afford to fix it. I don't know why they refuse to do basic maintenance.

They sound like the kind of people that get pissed off when their unmaintained car has issues.

The only thing more expensive than maintenance is not doing it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
A small noise is a cheap noise.

A big noise is an expensive noise.

Fix the small noise before it becomes a big noise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pressure or return line?

Pressure, I am having a hard time believing hoseclamps would hold it in place, those hit 1000+psi regularly.

Return, gently caress it, I'd run it that way forever. Mine came with a spring clamp on it from the factory, you know, the kind used to hold radiator hoses and vacuum lines on things.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NitroSpazzz posted:

As far as I know my old roommate is still driving his $100 Nissan hardbody with a bolt in the master cylinder output to the rear brake circuit. Started leaking ~8 years ago when we were broke college students. He's not the kind of person that would go back and fix it...whole line probably rusted away by now anyway.

When we bought our civic to build into a racecar we went nuts trying to bleed the brakes. Couldn't figure out why the rear wasn't getting any fluid no matter how hard we tried. Ended up ripping out every hardline, and found a screw jammed in one of the ones leading to the rear from the ABS pump.

That was like lesson 35 in not buying cheap cars to make racecars with.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

kastein posted:

Pressure or return line?

Pressure, I am having a hard time believing hoseclamps would hold it in place, those hit 1000+psi regularly.

Return, gently caress it, I'd run it that way forever. Mine came with a spring clamp on it from the factory, you know, the kind used to hold radiator hoses and vacuum lines on things.

I'm almost positive it was the return line, it was four years ago though. I would still pay for a replacement metal line if it were my car, one less reason to worry about breaking down on the side of the road somewhere. They'll have to have it towed and fixed at a shop. I'm done working on their cars, which I was doing for free.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Cuts into the beer, ciggie, lotto,and weed/meth fund.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

Elsa posted:

however, gently caress him a little bit for this attitude when his car is -=stance=- lowered and he bought Racer X parts.

as a tow truck driver I loving hate idiots with lowered cars, hang on while I bust out a lumber yard full of wood to load your lowered poo poo box while you hover over me and tell me how to do my job. I make sure to charge them as much as possible. gently caress towing lowered stance nation bullshit.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I feel like a horrible failure of a mechanic. It took two tries to get my belts changed on a 98 CR-V. Then I drove to work this morning and noticed my power steering was, at best, "trying" to work. Thankfully that one was serviceable from the top and I don't have to do the entire job for a third time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

xzzy posted:

Maybe if the US had effective vehicle inspections we'd not only have some data on the subject, but get these jalopies off the road.

Too many people would bitch that "the gubmint wants to tell me to manetane muh kar".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder how much cheaper insurance could be if people were forced to change their bald tires. When I lived in San Antonio, any time a drop of water hit a road, there would be three accidents and possibly someone rolled over.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Make everyone drive Yugos, no matter what they'll be forced to buy a new car every two or three years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure the police departments would love if that stuff was made illegal, they'd be overjoyed to get all that ticket income.

The problem is any lawmaker that votes that stuff in can pretty much consider their career over.

There's also the unresolved issue of more stringent regulations impacting low income individuals more than anyone else, and they're already more likely to be operating unsafe vehicles. Maybe if we had less sprawl and better mass transit but whelp. :v:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder how much cheaper insurance could be if people were forced to change their bald tires. When I lived in San Antonio, any time a drop of water hit a road, there would be three accidents and possibly someone rolled over.

Depending on your state, inspections could filter out some of these at least once a year. Of course folks can go to some back alley mechanic and get their shitbox signed off on still. Can't say I haven't done the same myself when I was maintaining a $700 car. But I think it helps keeps most cars in somewhat usable conditions in my area at least.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

I feel like a horrible failure of a mechanic. It took two tries to get my belts changed on a 98 CR-V. Then I drove to work this morning and noticed my power steering was, at best, "trying" to work. Thankfully that one was serviceable from the top and I don't have to do the entire job for a third time.

Belts are like my Kryptonite. I don't know if I'll ever figure it out, even with a tension gauge.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Nocheez posted:

To be fair - Honda's ideas of belt setups are very questionable sometimes.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I borrowed a timing light once and let the cord touch the belt. I'm sorry, universe.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Too many people would bitch that "the gubmint wants to tell me to manetane muh kar".

It's more like 'the gubmint wants to extract money from me to enrichen the gubmint's cousin earl' but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Belts are like my Kryptonite. I don't know if I'll ever figure it out, even with a tension gauge.

I decided to finally do things right and buy a tension tool. Unfortunately the flat snap action style one is too big for the compact/tiny belt on my Fit. I don't really care enough to buy the fancy dial indicator type so w/e 'back to the feels about right' testing method.