Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon Batman could've taken the earthquake if he'd had enough prep time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KaosMachina posted:

The obvious answer is that this is someone that Bruce Wayne personally funded, he gave her a number to call in an emergency, and he was off busy Batmanning or something and when the call got there his answering machine was completely full.

Who's got Batman's phone number and calling him enough to fill up his answering machine? Talia?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

chitoryu12 posted:

Who's got Batman's phone number and calling him enough to fill up his answering machine? Talia?

"Bruce, this is talia, please call me back."

"Bruce, this is Talia, I have to tell you something important and we need to make some important decisions about our future."

"Bruce, this is talia, I'm pregnant. Please call back."

"You know what Bruce, my father is right. You are a disappointment."

"Why Can't you call me back Bruce? The Joker is in Arkham and I saw you only stopped Kite-Man this week."

"gently caress you Bruce Wayne. I am going to have this child and train him to kill you. Do not call me ever again."

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon Batman could've taken the earthquake if he'd had enough prep time.

anti-earthquake spray :allears:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
[quote="Punkin Spunkin" post="470186762"]
No Man's Land stuff
[quote]

I think the real question being posed is -- what came first, Batman getting owned by a rock or Spiderman being defeated by a brick?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After putting it off for a bit, I just read Supergirl: Being Super #2 and MAN, it's a good comic.
I know people were put off by the first issue (or just Rhyno? I don't think anyone's mentioned this issue in the weeks it's been out) but a certain event shifts the story into heartbreaking misery and depression and it really improved the thing!

Mariko Tamaki's also writing a great, miserable She-Hulk run at the moment, so maybe that's her real talent wheelhouse. Keep up the sad comics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I saw yesterday that last week Earth-2 was finally put out of it's misery. Question, how did they turn the Earth they got from Convergence into ANOTHER duplicate of their old Earth pre Darkseid? With the power of Love or something? Also lol Dick is Oracle in a Professor X floaty chair.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

So I saw yesterday that last week Earth-2 was finally put out of it's misery. Question, how did they turn the Earth they got from Convergence into ANOTHER duplicate of their old Earth pre Darkseid? With the power of Love or something? Also lol Dick is Oracle in a Professor X floaty chair.

Fury (the offspring of Wonder Woman and Steppenwolf of Apokolips, eww don't think about it) reveals that she's got some magic Amazon box that can basically reformat reality (to the user's whims) but everybody's a little anxious about using it because while it could restore the planet, it could also just wipe everything away. So they decide to try to find another solution to the whole "Earth is dying" dilemma, but it doesn't matter because Ultra-Humanite was spying on them and learns about the box and launches an assault on the good guys' base using an army of genetically modified/brainwashed children (and a mind-controlled Alan Scott). Right before everybody gets curbstomped and Ultra-Humanite gets his wish on the Dragon Balls, a wounded Fury beats him to the punch. The heroes then wake up in a void and get all mad because it looks like the box just hosed the world. But it turns out the world was literally rebooting and they land in a brand new Metropolis filled with brand new people who don't remember anything about their hosed up old world. (Then they have to fight Ultra-Humanite one more time because I guess he was able to impose his will strongly enough on Fury before she used the box or some poo poo I forget, but that's irrelevant to your question. They win, everyone's happy)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Glad that's over. Now they can bring back the regular JSA to Earth-Prime or whatever the gently caress it's called now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Earth 2 really felt like the Milton (from Office Space) of the DCU. A comic that was supposed to be cancelled about 3 years ago but people just kind of forgot it existed and let it continue on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I really really loved Dick Grayson's Batman suit in that series. It's a real shame it was tied to that particular comic /reality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope the E2ers pop in just cause Huntress took over as Batman right at the end and kept the MAN part of the name, and that's fun.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope the E2ers pop in just cause Huntress took over as Batman right at the end and kept the MAN part of the name, and that's fun.

Would have been better if they renamed Batman into Huntressman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's still a genderswap back at Batman*. Dick's Oracle now.

*Although E2 didn't have a female Oracle to start with.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 15, 2017

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

BrianWilly posted:

WW#18 was a goddamn powerful issue. This Godwatch arc is shaping up to be an incredible storyline. I'm also of the mind that Diana will end up killing either Deimos or Phobos before the run is over in a direct parallel to post-Crisis canon. Here's hoping! :buddy:
In the present day storyline, Veronica Cale is accompanied by two dogs named "Panic" and "Terror", which are literally what the names "Phobos" and "Deimos" mean, respectively (thanks, pub trivia!). At one point Barbara Minerva sees the dogs and remarks, "The dogs are new", to which Cale replies, "They're actually older than you'd think."

So if I'm correct in assuming that the dogs are Phobos and Deimos in disguise, then they'll at least survive the past storyline ("Godwatch"), but there's always an outside chance one of them won't make it through the present storyline ("The Truth").

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Wild Storm is extremely my poo poo, even though the whole of #2 was just setup I really dug it. I may have even shuddered a tad when the penny dropped that Ivana's around, hopefully she'll get her just desserts this time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can't say I'm digging this Superman Reborn story at all. I'm not a fan of Mxyzptlk at all and now this thing about N52 Superman and what we thought was Pre-N52 Superman being two halves of the same person is really bringing back some bad memories. Basically N52 Superman is Superman Red and current Superman is Superman Blue. At this point I'm hoping it's all a big Mxyzptlk trick, but I doubt it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Can't say I'm digging this Superman Reborn story at all. I'm not a fan of Mxyzptlk at all and now this thing about N52 Superman and what we thought was Pre-N52 Superman being two halves of the same person is really bringing back some bad memories. Basically N52 Superman is Superman Red and current Superman is Superman Blue. At this point I'm hoping it's all a big Mxyzptlk trick, but I doubt it.

lol glad I skipped this and now I'm not going back to reading Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just lmao if you don't have complete faith in Tomasi and Gleason at this point.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm enjoying it. I figure at the end of this story arc, all the "Superman energy" will merge into the Superman we all know and love and he'll go from his weird costume with the blue boots and have the red boots again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm sorry but I loved it. It's the sort of thing that sounds completely mental and hackneyed but the way Tomasi pulled it off here makes it...frankly, very beautiful and effective. You're insane if you're dropping Superman because of this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm sorry but I loved it. It's the sort of thing that sounds completely mental and hackneyed but the way Tomasi pulled it off here makes it...frankly, very beautiful and effective. You're insane if you're dropping Superman because of this.

The only person that said they're dropping Superman is someone that hasn't read it. I'm not going to drop the book because of one bad arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The problem I have is that this character obliterates all stakes this story looked like it was gonna have. Them navigating him and his game board and all that seems more like what you'd do as a breather between two other big, important arcs, like the Bizarro issue in Greg Pak's run. It's admirable that they're trying him out as a genuine big threat, but it isn't really working that well.

But on the plus side, all of the expressions Gleason gives Mxyzptlk are incredible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's just really messy rectconning to make the idea of two Supermen fit into this whole dumb notion that the Pre and Post Flashpoint universes are the same ones with certain things removed because of reasons unknown. It's like someone thought that having a Superman from two separate realities was too complicated so their idea to fix it was to not only make it more complicated but do so while bringing up memories of one of the worst Post Crisis Superman stories. And then on top of all that they tie it up in a story with Mxyzptlk which makes it even more goofy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman is just happy he got a complete freebie affair with Wonder Woman and technically it wasn't​ cheating.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nothing's been revealed yet. Get mad next week :D

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I have faith that the existence of Supersons and the amount of time they've spent developing the original Superman/Lois/Jonathan family dynamic means there's no way those characters are going anywhere. No way Tomasi would be that heartless.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tato posted:

I have faith that the existence of Supersons and the amount of time they've spent developing the original Superman/Lois/Jonathan family dynamic means there's no way those characters are going anywhere. No way Tomasi would be that heartless.

Not posting in case someone would rather not know how it turns out at all, but check Superman #20's solicit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tato posted:

No I don't think they'd do that either. I'm just more disappointed that the story of the other Clark Kent ended up being this dumb. It hasn't killed my interest in the book or anything but it did bring the momentum the book had to a screeching halt for a dumb story about the two Supermen that we honestly didn't even need at all.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

No I don't think they'd do that either. I'm just more disappointed that the story of the other Clark Kent ended up being this dumb. It hasn't killed my interest in the book or anything but it did bring the momentum the book had to a screeching halt for a dumb story about the two Supermen that we honestly didn't even need at all.

This. This right here. Instead of traipsing around the planet having adventures, Atlantis with Aquaman, or an issue or two of Clark and Martian Manhunter getting reacquainted. It's this.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, I agree that the reveal and the story are a kind of ho-hum bummer. They also make the events of Action Comics even more unessential and worthless, which is quite a feat. I feel fully confident dropping that title behind permanently after the crossover.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wonder how this works with new 52 Superman's life energy being used to power Superwoman and New Super-Man

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I wonder how this works with new 52 Superman's life energy being used to power Superwoman and New Super-Man

The answer is always either arm ripping, or Hypertime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

It's the new Death and Return of Superman clearly. New Super-Man is Superboy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jiro posted:

This. This right here. Instead of traipsing around the planet having adventures, Atlantis with Aquaman, or an issue or two of Clark and Martian Manhunter getting reacquainted. It's this.

It should have been this or superboy prime.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In the latest issue of Superwoman, Lana basically "returned" her powers to...a ghostly version of NuLois and NuClark since it was slowly killing her, and I guess those are the red ghostly thingies that were helping Jon here. I dunno what Lana's going to do now, or what's gonna happen with that Superwoman book. Might focus on Natasha instead? :shrug:

It's a good point about Kong Kenan though. I guess he's just going to have a part of Superman in him :quagmire: forever? Maybe it's a part Superman doesn't need.

X-O posted:

I think it's just really messy rectconning to make the idea of two Supermen fit into this whole dumb notion that the Pre and Post Flashpoint universes are the same ones with certain things removed because of reasons unknown. It's like someone thought that having a Superman from two separate realities was too complicated so their idea to fix it was to not only make it more complicated but do so while bringing up memories of one of the worst Post Crisis Superman stories. And then on top of all that they tie it up in a story with Mxyzptlk which makes it even more goofy.
But there are not two different universes, no two separate realities. The Rebirth premise is that New 52 and Post-Crisis are the same universe.

Bringing the post-Crisis Superman and Lois over from the destruction of the "old universe" was a really great idea that led to really great stories, but the fact is that it messes with the central concept of Rebirth, where everyone is supposed to be the same person they were before the New 52 with some memories and histories altered. It was a point of curiosity that needed to be addressed. So they could either say that Superbro was some sort of fake interloper Superman from Earth-12 or whatever, or they could say Superdad isn't really the actual post-Crisis Superman...which was what made him so cool in the first place.

So they went with the Oprah option where everyone wins. Both are Superman, both belong to this timeline. I guess it comes across as kinda forced and trite on the surface, but I think the execution here, by continuing to tie everything to Clark, Lois, and Jon and how important they all are, is what makes this so enjoyable. Neglecting relationships and connections is what made the New 52 fail, and putting a narrative emphasis on Superman's family is what's making this run succeed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

everyone is supposed to be the same person they were before the New 52 with some memories and histories altered.

That's really no different than what the reboot was in 2011. Now they just have a force behind it that isn't just Barry.

Like, the DCU has been woken up from alternate realities a ton of times without being considered a new universe. Barry/Watchmen just hosed it up this time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrianWilly posted:

In the latest issue of Superwoman, Lana basically "returned" her powers to...a ghostly version of NuLois and NuClark since it was slowly killing her, and I guess those are the red ghostly thingies that were helping Jon here. I dunno what Lana's going to do now, or what's gonna happen with that Superwoman book. Might focus on Natasha instead? :shrug:

But then like three pages later she sons her uniform again and starts flying with both? Issue was confusing as hell.

For Kong Kenan, they could retcon and say the ministry of self reliance was lying about using Superman's energy and in fact their machine is the same one Gotham Girl and Gotham Man used.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

But there are not two different universes, no two separate realities. The Rebirth premise is that New 52 and Post-Crisis are the same universe.

I know this. But the fact that DC has gone back and forth over this is one of the reasons this is such a mess. Convergence unequivocally stated this wasn't the case before bringing back the full Multiverse and completely undoing the original Crisis. But Rebirth undid that and now who knows what's what.

Now that you say that New 52 and Post Crisis Superman are halves of the same person it presents a whole new set of questions that didn't need to exist. How was Lois split into two people? What happens if the versions merge and what happens if they don't? What happens to Super-Man or Lana or N52 Lois and the energy that dispersed to them? All these issues were literally dead and buried and people had moved on and now for no reason they've brought it all back. This is a chronic problem with DC in general is that they have some kind of burning urgent need to fix and explain poo poo that just doesn't need to be fixed or explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anywho. Here's whatever Superman we're getting out of this thing in a new Bengal Supergirl variant.

Cool boots.