Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I'm just going to assume if you want a Switch for the holidays, you should buy one early because it'll probably be impossible to find one post September.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's going to be near impossible to find all loving year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I'm just going to assume if you want a Switch for the holidays, you should buy one early because it'll probably be impossible to find one post September.

Year 1 and you'll have
- New Zelda
- Mario Kart
- New Mario
- Splatoon 2 to a lesser extent
- A very nice indie catalogue

All leading up to the holiday season. It's gonna sell like hotcakes.
If they manage a Smash Bros port pre-christmas? Hoooooooo boy.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Infinitum posted:

If they manage a Smash Bros port pre-christmas? Hoooooooo boy.

If they do this I'm just gonna throw my wii u in the trash

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

"Slow down the manufacturing!" said Kimishima. "It's only the middle of March, we can't hit 2 million sold yet."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't predict there will be any supplies issues between May up until after black friday.

e;Unless Capcom ports MHXX to the Switch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Autism confirmed.

Nope, still wrong. Not that it should matter. I am a mental health professional, though. I work with people who do have autism.

Common use of "autistic" as a slur is hate speech that dehumanizes and harms people just as surely as hate speech based on race or sexual orientation.

You shouldn't do it.

When you feel like posting a slur, you should probably log off and go enjoy your Nintendo Switch instead.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kashuno posted:

I don't predict there will be any supplies issues between May up until after black friday.

I don't think a Monster Hunter game on its own would drive huge system sales outside of Japan. But in Japan? On a 720p portable? Good loving luck ever finding one in stock for years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

I hope.

Is anyone working on any drivers to get both Joycons working on PC as a single controller? I think you can Mickey Mouse it via setting controllers in Joy2Key or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How did Generations do? MH4U seemed to crack the "western audiences don't buy monhun" barrier, but do they have the appetite for annual installments?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

How did Generations do? MH4U seemed to crack the "western audiences don't buy monhun" barrier, but do they have the appetite for annual installments?

I don't think they gave the numbers by region, but MH4U reportedly did 3.3mil compared to Gen's 4.1mil and western sales were "solid"

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

zenintrude posted:

It won't get cancelled.

It also will never be fulfilled

Based on what?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spacebump posted:

Brickseek shows that there are 79 Switches at Walmarts around me in a 15 mile radius.

Also, I assume we'll get a holiday bundle where they'll throw in a game or something.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Based on what?

:thejoke:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Brickseek shows that there are 79 Switches at Walmarts around me in a 15 mile radius.

Also, I assume we'll get a holiday bundle where they'll throw in a game or something.

Those are most likely pre-orders that morons havent picked up yet. Walmart holds pre-orders until April for some dumb reason.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So, apparently plugging a USB-C extension cable into the dock works for playing your Switch in TV mode without having to actually put it in the dock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

Nope, still wrong. Not that it should matter. I am a mental health professional, though. I work with people who do have autism.

Common use of "autistic" as a slur is hate speech that dehumanizes and harms people just as surely as hate speech based on race or sexual orientation.

You shouldn't do it.

When you feel like posting a slur, you should probably log off and go enjoy your Nintendo Switch instead.

Can I call people sperglords since Aspergers was removed from the DSMV?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is the orange light on the Pro controller supposed to turn off when it's done charging, or is it just kind of there?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tender Bender posted:

MonHun is one of those games where I LOVE the idea but I can never dive deep.
Maybe I always give up before things get really good. Each one I tried had, like, 3 hours of tutorial.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is the orange light on the Pro controller supposed to turn off when it's done charging, or is it just kind of there?

I left my pro controller plugged into my power strip overnight and the light turned off.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I always give up before things get really good. Each one I tried had, like, 3 hours of tutorial.

Yeah you give up before it gets amazing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

BotW drew me in in a way that MonHun has never quite managed to and I still can't really put my finger on why. I got 3 for the 3DS and probably put a couple hours into it but it just never clicked.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A Zelda game, but you're just fighting bosses Shadows of the Colossus style

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Inzombiac posted:

Each installment lessened the grind. To the point where you don't need to do it at all in gen. Its awesome. So you don't need to learn to gather much for grinding. (not that you need seperate missions to learn to pick flowers and rocks)

Because of that the real only tutorial you need is a 10 minute YouTube of your chosen weapon.

You can SKIP all the gathering quests. Go straight to the kill monsters ones.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Mahoning posted:

So, apparently plugging a USB-C extension cable into the dock works for playing your Switch in TV mode without having to actually put it in the dock.

why would you want to do this though, since the screen turns off on tv mode

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/nmspitzel/status/842044491024461824

Despite the price increase compared to the other ports, this one is in my list of 2017 anticipated games. Along with Puyo Puyo Tetris and Splatoon 2.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cojawfee posted:

I could comfortably land on sperglord if the bloop will OK it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

BotW drew me in in a way that MonHun has never quite managed to and I still can't really put my finger on why. I got 3 for the 3DS and probably put a couple hours into it but it just never clicked.

Well for one thing, they're not at all similar.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Infinitum posted:

A Zelda game, but you're just fighting bosses Shadows of the Colossus style

Isn't that just shadow of the colossus

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Kashuno posted:

Well they both have a clumsy combat system and breakable weapons, so I don't really see how you don't...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

Well they both have a clumsy combat system and breakable weapons, so I don't really see how you don't...

well actually weapons don't break in MH they just lose sharpness :goonsay:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rexroom posted:

https://twitter.com/nmspitzel/status/842044491024461824

Despite the price increase compared to the other ports, this one is in my list of 2017 anticipated games. Along with Puyo Puyo Tetris and Splatoon 2.

I'm looking forward to that as well. The portability will be a big factor in buying it on switch.

Some games are just better portable. Some are better on a tv.

Switch is both and its awesome.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
When is my Switch going to get here. Everywhere I go I hear women talking about Switch, they say "If only I could find a nerdy guy who owns a Switch." and then I say "I ordered one, it's on its way." They look at me like I'm some kind of parasite.

Come on Amazon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

Running around an open world fighting random mobs with weapons that significantly change how you need to handle combat in order to not die?

I mean there's more to both games than that but the core movement/combat stuff doesn't seem like it's that dissimilar (says someone who hasn't launched MH3 in easily 2+ years)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I left my pro controller plugged into my power strip overnight and the light turned off.

Thanks. It's been charging for around 14 hours and I was starting to wonder.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Soul Glo posted:

There's a run on YouTube right now of a guy beating Zelda in 53 minutes.

What about an all korok seeds run?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Running around an open world fighting random mobs with weapons that significantly change how you need to handle combat in order to not die?

I mean there's more to both games than that but the core movement/combat stuff doesn't seem like it's that dissimilar (says someone who hasn't launched MH3 in easily 2+ years)

Who fights mobs in monster Hunter? Unless you are grinding for a specific horn or something. Then 5 minutes later you grind for 5. Hours to get the real materials.

I'm actually having to grind in Zelda now. But I have to wait for the red moon to go to all the spots I found again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I would love an open world monster hunter, if such a game existed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kashuno posted:

I would love an open world monster hunter, if such a game existed.

It's called Toukiden 2.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That seems more about making fun of internet doofuses self-diagnosing than the real condition, so I'd say it's far less bad for a number of reasons (the actual group is less marginalized for example) but still not ideal.

It's still in the "bad" category for the same reason "retarded" is, though. It's not like that was in the DSMIV-TR or anything. Neither are most other slurs. It's about whether it harms people not a technical definition.

We should probably have a better word for what you're talking about, though. Grognard and Pedant don't always cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Monster Hunter isn't open world though, it's small separated levels that are basically arenas. Breath of the Wild isn't similar to Monster Hunter but it does take elements from it, mainly the gathering/crafting/preparation stuff, and use that to great effect.

However, if its world was filled with dinosaur dragons, Breath of the Wild would be exactly what I imagined Monster Hunter was when I watched the trailer and went out to buy Tri for the Wii.

Inzombiac posted:

It is a really dense series and as someone who loves it I wouldn't recommend it unless you're prepared to spend a good ten hours wrapping your head around the game's systems and controls and watching a bunch of YouTube guides.

• Locked thread