Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sebring is the only other major US circuit I can think of that doesn't have an Indycar date aside from the ones you mentioned. Though I don't see any way a top level open wheeler could even hope to go down Sebring's main straight. Then there's Lime Rock but Lime Rock's locals are even worse than Laguna's. Really I think Road Atlanta is the most likely if they do go looking for another road course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Most likely would be an IMSA shared weekend. Rock paper scissors on who gets top billing.

I'm not a huge fan of Laguna, but tagging along when PWC hits VIR could go well. Portland would be great if they dumped the dumbass Monza chicaine.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Helter Skelter
- Wonderhill
- Edge of The Earth
- Out of Blue
- Phantomile
- Brightest Night
- Heaven and Hell
- Shooting Hoops

From last page but holy poo poo, beating that game as the American team was so satisfying as a kid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Most likely would be an IMSA shared weekend. Rock paper scissors on who gets top billing.

I'm not a huge fan of Laguna, but tagging along when PWC hits VIR could go well. Portland would be great if they dumped the dumbass Monza chicaine.

See and quite honestly? I think I'd prefer Laguna to Sears Point for the series finale. (with all due respect to LASTCAR). In a more ideal world, IMSA would run Sears Point in the late Summer/Fall, and Indy would run it in the spring. (flip that around for Laguna Seca). (Also IMSA should be running Mid Ohio too...bastards).

I just like that track better for some reason. Not that Sears Point isn't without it's charm. (most underrated Stock Car track in the country), but Seca is just fun as hell to drive in Forza, etc. But your only chance is likely splitting a weekend with IMSA to get that thing going, and if you did? Wave bye-bye to Sears Point period.

The fear with VIR IIRC is the trees that could cause some potential problems in that aspect.

njsykora posted:

Sebring is the only other major US circuit I can think of that doesn't have an Indycar date aside from the ones you mentioned. Though I don't see any way a top level open wheeler could even hope to go down Sebring's main straight. Then there's Lime Rock but Lime Rock's locals are even worse than Laguna's. Really I think Road Atlanta is the most likely if they do go looking for another road course.

Sebring is a great test track, but I mean we already have St. Pete in the area, so it's kind of a moot point.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Maybe now that Bernie is out FOM will play nice and we get a spring race at COTAS.

A boy can dream.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Build a parking lot track at Cowboys Stadium that goes through the stadium itself. Everyone gets air conditioned seating with HD views of the entire race broadcast.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Real talk? Kinda surprised no one's proposed bringing back the Meadowlands race.

Of course my stupid fantasy option would be to merge with USAC. Count the Duquin, Springfield, Hoosier Hundred and Eldora races, etc as part of the National Championship. Air the races on NBCSN and give us something year round to talk about. Let's see if Dixie and Power can wheel it like they've said their family members could down under on dirt ovals.

(I don't think Roger or Chip would go for the idea though....)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Real talk? Kinda surprised no one's proposed bringing back the Meadowlands race.

I think it might've been because the Meadowlands course was trash.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

(I don't think Roger or Chip would go for the idea though....)

They drat should.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Downtown Vegas street track won't come back without some massive changes to the old Grand Central Parkway front straight. Back in 2007 it was asphalt the whole way across, now it's all gussied up with bus lanes and plant filled concrete medians. Not enough room anymore.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

Considering how much has changed at Audi and VAG, especially at board management, it doesn't make much sense to build the theory through multiple-years-old stories and rumors.

Formula E is pennies, they're in DTM because it's a big game of chicken between the German makes, and their GT3 efforts are simple and make them money. IndyCar would have to be from somebody at Audi USA really wanting to do that, and I can't see that happening at this time.

I know the motorsport people at Audi NA. There is more chance of me funding an Indycar engine program than there is of Audi doing the same. In fact, that was true even before dieselgate. Thinking otherwise is just Trump or Plourde levels of delusion.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Spaced God posted:

Maybe now that Bernie is out FOM will play nice and we get a spring race at COTAS.

A boy can dream.

I'd think it had less to do with and more to do with Eddie Gossage throwing a shitfit for not sharing a race in Texas.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spaced God posted:

A boy can dream.

Circuit Of Time And Space?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

wicka posted:

Circuit Of Time And Space?

Technically, every race involves a circuit of time and space.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I thought a Portland return was already almost definitely happening for 2018, was that just a fever dream or something?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Technically, every race involves a circuit of time and space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOTAS

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

I thought a Portland return was already almost definitely happening for 2018, was that just a fever dream or something?

Every other article has kinda implied it. Pretty much saying "Yeah we need to go back to the Pacific Northwest", etc

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/131682-indycar-miles-on-2017-schedule-prospects

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-eyes-northwest-expansion-for-2018-mexico-for-19-844234/

http://www.espn.com/racing/blog/_/n...le.com%2F%22%7D

Wonder it's a matter of sponsor? Perhaps XBox would like to use it as a platform for Forza, etc? I don't know, just a thought.

BMB5150 posted:

I'd think it had less to do with and more to do with Eddie Gossage throwing a shitfit for not sharing a race in Texas.

Yeah he's so bizarrely intimidated of that track.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Every other article has kinda implied it. Pretty much saying "Yeah we need to go back to the Pacific Northwest", etc

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/131682-indycar-miles-on-2017-schedule-prospects

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-eyes-northwest-expansion-for-2018-mexico-for-19-844234/

http://www.espn.com/racing/blog/_/n...le.com%2F%22%7D

Wonder it's a matter of sponsor? Perhaps XBox would like to use it as a platform for Forza, etc? I don't know, just a thought.

Yeah he's so bizarrely intimidated of that track.

As we've said again and again, Portland needs a renovation safety wise and for outside facilities. Only other place in the PNW is Pacific Raceways but that is in more dire need of a renovation than Portland and has had big plans for over a decade that have never panned out except for a cool rear end go kart track. So you'll need someone with tons of money to blow to get a track back going up here.

Though getting Microsoft and Turn 10's attention to help, yeah they might sponsor it since it's local to them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

As we've said again and again, Portland needs a renovation safety wise and for outside facilities. Only other place in the PNW is Pacific Raceways but that is in more dire need of a renovation than Portland and has had big plans for over a decade that have never panned out except for a cool rear end go kart track. So you'll need someone with tons of money to blow to get a track back going up here.

Though getting Microsoft and Turn 10's attention to help, yeah they might sponsor it since it's local to them.

Generally in a modem sense, the best way to ensure the survival of a good portion of IndyCar/Racing events is either

a.) Have some sort of city that :allears: over the "mystique" of having an IndyCar race run their streets (St. Pete, Belle Isle).
b.) Have some sort of promoter/track owner that likes the sport, likes the opportunities it brings via having them run there (Igdalsky at Pocono, Gossage at Texas).
c.) Company picnic opportunity (Honda with Barber and Mid Ohio)

I think Xbox/Turn 10 seems to be your best option for "c" considering the locale, and how Forza has prominently featured IndyCar in their games over the last 2 games.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Microsoft is over 3 hours away from PIR, it's not really local at all. And BMB is right, Pacific Raceway is a lot closer but would need like $30m in upgrades to even consider an IndyCar race. Most of the track is just open to the forest and hillsides around it, no barriers no fences.

PIR is a lot closer to ready, but would need a promoter willing to treat it a bit like Belle Isle and bring in outside equipment. Could happen, but don't expect big things racing wise.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ordinaire posted:

From last page but holy poo poo, beating that game as the American team was so satisfying as a kid.

Hmmmm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Portland isn't local for a Seattle/Redmond company, they're close-ish but completely different.

PIR (that one, not Phoenix) has a decent layout, has been re-paved recently enough, and has a good location. But all of the fan and team facilities are poo poo, and there probably wouldn't be enough parking.

Portland had a race for so long because a local businessman wanted to host it. But that was the 80s/90s, and he's retired. I don't know who else is out there.

But if we get Portland in summer again, I will fly back to go to that with my dad. Full stop.

[Edit]

Cygni posted:

Could happen, but don't expect big things racing wise.

Portland somehow seemed to throw a gen out there everybody few years. The rain in mid-June helped.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 15, 2017

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Surely one of Portland's artisanal lightbulb makers or feminist bookstores would sponsor a a race.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Free Friday tickets to Long Beach, use promo code coke75 and they'll be emailed to you post-haste. http://gplb.tix.com/Event.aspx?EventCode=884989

I'm getting weekend tix once the discounts start going up, but if you're a cheap bastard and not coming all weekend or want to convince a friend to go to the race, here's a good opportunity.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I know with Cleveland pretty much Sherwin Williams wanted the Cleveland GP back, and indyCar decided to not go through with it for whatever reason.

I think it was mainly the city going "uh. Cavs are in contention for NBA Titles AND We got the GOP Convention. So not quite yet" IIRC. I think in a few years we'll see that pop up again and honestly? Perfect 4th of July race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

George Zimmer posted:

Surely one of Portland's artisanal lightbulb makers or feminist bookstores would sponsor a a race.

Now all I want to do is come up with a single name that works for both of these.

"Bright Ideas" is as close as I've got.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I know with Cleveland pretty much Sherwin Williams wanted the Cleveland GP back, and indyCar decided to not go through with it for whatever reason.

I think it was mainly the city going "uh. Cavs are in contention for NBA Titles AND We got the GOP Convention. So not quite yet" IIRC. I think in a few years we'll see that pop up again and honestly? Perfect 4th of July race.

This should happen just so we can see PPG try to stage a Pittsburgh GP in response. Have any cars crashed due to potholes recently?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

wicka posted:

This should happen just so we can see PPG try to stage a Pittsburgh GP in response. Have any cars crashed due to potholes recently?

Does Belle Isle disintegrating mid race count?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

I'm ready for Voodoo Doughnuts to sponsor the race and call it the Cock and Balls Grand Prix.
http://voodoodoughnut.com/mobile/voodoo-doughnut-mobile-doughnuts.php

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In all honesty? Indy has done a great job reviving traditional venues to be ran.

The Glen, Road America and Phoenix all seem to be going over well. I do think they really dropped the ball with Milwaukee and Fontana. But it seems to be at the very least a net gain.

I still would like to see Milwaukee saved, but in order for that to happen? They're going to have another weekend on their calender with Trucks/XFS to help carry that load. (Even Trucks only would help IMO...just SOMETHING).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Milwaukee is dead. there is already a plan to replace it with a lovely office park, but the fairgrounds owes $12m for old track renovations and the developer doesnt want to absorb it. as soon as the debt is gone, the track is gone. no series is showing up with that hanging over it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ever wanted to say you've seen someone shoot some goo into JR Hildebrand's ear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLngqgpXa7o

You're welcome.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

I'm ready for Voodoo Doughnuts to sponsor the race and call it the Cock and Balls Grand Prix.
http://voodoodoughnut.com/mobile/voodoo-doughnut-mobile-doughnuts.php

The jokes are good but none of those are as big (in revenue or local profile) as GI Joes was when the owner was promoting and sponsoring the Portland race. It could be one of the breweries though.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Milwaukee sucks, bring back Fontana. That should be the 2nd race of the season after St Pete

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Milwaukee is dead. there is already a plan to replace it with a lovely office park, but the fairgrounds owes $12m for old track renovations and the developer doesnt want to absorb it. as soon as the debt is gone, the track is gone. no series is showing up with that hanging over it.

It really sucks how a lot of short tracks around the country are struggling.

(looking at you viking :smith:).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Milwaukee sucks, bring back Fontana. That should be the 2nd race of the season after St Pete

Yup. Weather would be consistently good, not wet and not stupid loving hot.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Then where do we wedge Long Beach, because theoretically having the two close together risks cannibalizing sales. I guess.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

Then where do we wedge Long Beach, because theoretically having the two close together risks cannibalizing sales. I guess.

Fontana would have to be the season finale. There's no other way to make it work to not impede on Long Beach's turf or have the race in a billion-degree weather. Having it the weekend after Sonoma would be purrrrfect, and making it a double-points race would actually kind of make some sort of sense given it's a 500 mile oval.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iirc, Fontana said they'd only host a race now if they were the season finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

iirc, Fontana said they'd only host a race now if they were the season finale.

It makes the most sense as that round. Back during the CART days? It kinda made things "work" in that regard.

I'd go for a run in October of Laguna Seca-Surfers-Fontana like the old days, but Miles is hell bent on not having a race during football season. :smith:.

• Locked thread