Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
So since he was benched Emelin has a +/- of -6.

Maybe Julien is playing Emelin in order to tank into second place in the Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do the Leafs really have any prospect D-men?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do the Leafs really have any prospect D-men?

Valiev and Dermott, I guess. Certainly nobody of the quality that you would expect them to solve any real problems soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When I think coaches who will bench bad defensemen for good ones, I certainly think of Claude Julien.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I think he will in this case. Emelin was not only bad, he was visibly lazy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Emelin is as elite at being bad as Carey is at being good.

Together they cancel each other out and lead to a lot of goals.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ha! Well, shows what I know. I guess the underlying point I was making is that wouldn't most of the UFA defencemen be better than Hunwick or Polak?

Yeah but you can pretty easily find guys for ~$1-2M that are better than those plugs, and the next tier of defenders probably won't be a significant upgrade on Carrick/Zaitsev/Marincin. One of the big pitfalls of Leafs teams post-lockout was stocking up on middling defenders all making $4M so the team ends up capped out and without any high-end talent.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Valiev and Dermott, I guess. Certainly nobody of the quality that you would expect them to solve any real problems soon.

I know some people are saying not to sleep on Dermott (Kristen Shilton most recently) but I haven't seen anything out of him when I watch the Marlies. Over the last several years people have been overrating Marlies' D pretty severely, so it's troubling when reviews of the org's top prospects are so mixed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BSH posted:

Jordan Weal is hurt and he won’t play, meaning we get to see Dale Weise and his miserable contract back out on the ice. Very excited about that. We also get to see Dave Hakstol flub his way through another hockey game. Nick Cousins will get back in, but it looks like Roman Lyubimov will be the scratch because ... you know, for the 800th straight game, it’s impossible for this guy to conceive of scratching one of his other beloved fourth line players.

Brandon Manning appears to be ready to go, based on reports from the morning skate. We’re unsure of exactly what the lineup will look like with Weal out, and who might replace him on the top line. I don’t really care who it is, if I’m being honest.

grats on your incoming 7-1 win on national TV, Pens. :manning:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is a pro fuckin read. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago. What an incredible rivalry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is a pro fuckin read. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago. What an incredible rivalry.

And now all we get is faux rivalries manufactured by NBC talking heads. Two teams match up in the playoffs? RIVALRY!!! Two teams had a rivalry 40 years ago? RIVALRY!! Someone said something on twitter? RIVALRY!!

Hockey's certainly in a better place with the improved regulation on hits in terms of keeping players healthy, but boy has it marked the end of an era.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alzner had offseason surgery and whatever that was about has hurt him this year; he was better last year and has declined. He's by no means bad and would certainly improve most teams' defense. He's probably earned more money than he's worth right now on the basis of last season, and it's entirely possible he'll return to that level, but given just the extra on top of that money that all UFAs end up getting and it's a recipe for some team with shittier goaltender to wind up disappointed. If he took a discount and stayed with the Caps I'd be entirely happy, but he did that once already and will get what he can now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

xzzy posted:

And now all we get is faux rivalries manufactured by NBC talking heads. Two teams match up in the playoffs? RIVALRY!!! Two teams had a rivalry 40 years ago? RIVALRY!! Someone said something on twitter? RIVALRY!!

Hockey's certainly in a better place with the improved regulation on hits in terms of keeping players healthy, but boy has it marked the end of an era.
What a worthless post.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
drat good read.

How fitting the Avs play Detroit tonight. I really do miss that rivalry, it's hard to explain the sheer hatred we had for each other back then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What a worthless post.

You said something mean.. that's a RIVALRY!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Seems like all the rivalries now are pretty boring, to be honest. You have games that get a bit chippier than normal I guess, but nothing like the hate of the 90s rivalries (especially Detroit-Colorado). I think fans tend to buy into it being ~The Rivalry~ or whatever more than the players.

I mean, for me at least, even Bruins-Habs hasn't felt like a real rivalry for years now. 2011 was probably the last time, I think. We had that February game with the line brawl (and Thomas and Price fighting), Chara breaking Pacioretty's neck, and the playoff series that went to game 7 OT. You could tell the team's genuinely disliked each other. Now we have dumb poo poo like "Marchand and Gallagher are pals during the summer" - what a thrilling rivalry.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the addition of the salary cap as well? Used to be teams could theoretically keep the same team forever if they could afford to. I think having the same rosters, more or less, each year helps fuel the fire since you get a lot of the personal rivalries that develop over the years. Hard for that to happen now when players bounce around the league a bit more often. The game not being as violent really dampens the rivalry spirit too although, as mentioned, that's definitely better for the players.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 15, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

You said something mean.. that's a RIVALRY!

Is it a Wednesday? Whoever's playing... RIVALRY!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I wonder how much of it has to do with the addition of the salary cap as well? Used to be teams could theoretically keep the same team forever if they could afford to. I think having the same rosters, more or less, each year helps fuel the fire since you get a lot of the personal rivalries that develop over the years. Hard for that to happen now when players bounce around the league a bit more often. The game not being as violent really dampens the rivalry spirit too although, as mentioned, that's definitely better for the players.

Yeah I think this is a big part of it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sens - Leafs was pretty good back when they met in the first round 20 times in a row.

E: Which I guess is what they're trying to get at with this dumbfuck playoff format. Sure is fun having the second best team out in the first round and brutalizing the first for later rounds.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 15, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Rivalry branding has been around forever and people absolutely do care about the historical rivalries. When you think of the 90s-early 2000s rivalries, what jumps out besides Avs-Wings? I don't think Stars-Wings, Stars-Avs, Devils-Flyers, etc. were bloodfeuds or anything like that. The Lemieux hit gets a lot of press but the more important part of the Wings-Avs rivalry is that they were both perennial powerhouses for a decade, which is a lot harder to do now with the cap instead of top teams being able to add Roy, Chelios, Blake, Bourque, Hasek, etc to their existing cores. The number of ridiculously awful hits in the playoffs has not gone down since the 90's.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Canucks-Hawks was a fun three years but burned out too fast when the Canucks became bad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brian Elliott is sick and will not play tonight vs. Boston

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think Alzner is as terrible as a lot of Caps fans do, but he definitely compares unfavorably to almost everyone else on the Caps defense. Hard to say if he'd do better somewhere else. He's kind of slow and he doesn't score for poo poo, but he's not necessarily a liability either. Overall he's probably a perfectly fine second pairing guy, especially if you can pair him with someone to make up for his deficiencies like the Caps did with Carlson and Niskanen . Either way, my guess is that someone will give him way too much money this offseason - especially if the Caps actually go on a decent run this year. Some of the things he's actually good at is stuff people hype in the playoffs like blocking shots, killing penalties, etc.

He's really pretty closely following the Orpik playbook, minus the idiot cross-checks in the crease. Viewed in a vacuum, he's a perfectly serviceable lower pairing guy who just won't help your offense at all. It's once you look at what he's going to make on the open market that he inspires fan ire. At $2.8M he's fine. At $5M+ he's a boat anchor.

e: I don't know that the Caps have rivalries anymore so much as our collective PTSD is triggered by the sight of Pens/Rags jerseys come April.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think it's that they haven't kept the same team - the real star players basically never leave their teams now, and I think we'll see the Pittsburgh and Chicago cores around for 15+ years when all is said and done, LA not much shorter, etc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Artem Anisimov out 3-4 weeks :(

As far as the 'rivalry' thing goes, my pet theory is that the NHL is trying to be like the NFL and influence team scheduling via TV. If they hype up Wednesday Night Rivalry enough maybe teams that are actual rivals will be scheduled to play those games.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean, for me at least, even Bruins-Habs hasn't felt like a real rivalry for years now. 2011 was probably the last time, I think. We had that February game with the line brawl (and Thomas and Price fighting), Chara breaking Pacioretty's neck, and the playoff series that went to game 7 OT. You could tell the team's genuinely disliked each other. Now we have dumb poo poo like "Marchand and Gallagher are pals during the summer" - what a thrilling rivalry.

Pretty much. I still dislike the Habs and all their fans, but since 2011 the fire has gone out. Same with Red Sox/Yankees since 2004.

Maybe it's cause I'm not getting blackout drunk and picking fights at every game anymore

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

As far as the 'rivalry' thing goes, my pet theory is that the NHL is trying to be like the NFL and influence team scheduling via TV. If they hype up Wednesday Night Rivalry enough maybe teams that are actual rivals will be scheduled to play those games.

That's exactly what they do. NBC and Rogers are intimately involved with developing the season schedule because they want teams that pull in good ratings playing at specific times. They also try to stack second or third options into the same slot to give them opportunity to air a different game if they think there's a "storyline" worth covering.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Rivalry branding has been around forever and people absolutely do care about the historical rivalries. When you think of the 90s-early 2000s rivalries, what jumps out besides Avs-Wings? I don't think Stars-Wings, Stars-Avs, Devils-Flyers, etc. were bloodfeuds or anything like that. The Lemieux hit gets a lot of press but the more important part of the Wings-Avs rivalry is that they were both perennial powerhouses for a decade, which is a lot harder to do now with the cap instead of top teams being able to add Roy, Chelios, Blake, Bourque, Hasek, etc to their existing cores. The number of ridiculously awful hits in the playoffs has not gone down since the 90's.

all due respect to avs-wings in the 90s but those games were probably reasonably safe to go to as fans

devils-flyers in the 90s was not, full stop

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

all due respect to avs-wings in the 90s but those games were probably reasonably safe to go to as fans

devils-flyers in the 90s was not, full stop

Before the move to Brooklyn, Rangers-Islanders at NVMC was pretty rough too. It was like throwing half a cow in a lion cage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rivalries can't exist without enforcers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Brian Elliott is sick and will not play tonight vs. Boston

Mumps! :argh:

Aphrodite posted:

Rivalries can't exist without enforcers.

How are you going to enforce that? :dadjoke:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Rivalries add nothing to the game. That is my hottest of takes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stretch Marx posted:

Rivalries add nothing to the game. That is my hottest of takes.

Would you rather go to a game against the Senators or would you rather go to a game against the Sharks, assuming everything else is the same?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i mean i wanna see huge hits, uncalled goalie interference, someone turtling after kneeing another player, guys slashing the poo poo out of the star forward's wrists, more huge hits, fights, and some goals, personally

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i mean i wanna see huge hits, uncalled goalie interference, someone turtling after kneeing another player, guys slashing the poo poo out of the star forward's wrists, more huge hits, fights, and some goals, personally

I'm sure the famous Flyers/Pens playoff series is up on youtube :v:

cnut
May 3, 2016

This is pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/brodiebrazilCSN/status/842068459223564288

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
There are no more rivalries anymore because Habs fans hate Emelin more than Kreider.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Rivalries.

Personally I like the feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next even though you of course know.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I think it would be cool if the NHL moved towards an NBA-style of rivalry where it's dudes competing with each other to try to be the best there ever was, and the really meaty stuff coming from the friendships that fall apart in pursuit of this*. unfortunately a lot of this hinges on the players having personalities and it would take fiddy years to get us there with hockey, plus it's easier for that to develop in a game with shorter rosters. I guess really that this is a bad idea that is ill suited for the NHL, however it's a cool dream world I am imagining where my sport is popular. we get a bit of it with Crosby but that's about it as far as I can think

*extremely casual NBA viewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While there's a mystique to the old brawls, the actual hockey play is better. Up until recently, I'd always expect a stoppage of play and a scrum every time there was a crunch along the boards and a roar from the crowd. I really hated that the game stopped for a fight after every good hip check.

You know what rules? A visually impressive big hit when the guy gets up and keeps playing hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9i3gBHmxgo

• Locked thread