Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have Emil story questions that I kinda forgot about until now.

Why was he in a robot anyway? Like... is he the only one in one of em? He didn't even know why he was in there himself and that detail is just kind of confusing me in hindsight.

Also isn't he and his clone army TECHNICALLY human? I mean dudes a skeleton ball so maybe it's hard to argue that with the machines/androids but I find it kind of funny that he's the thing androids are trying to protect.

I guess he ended up inside a machine factory somehow and got grafted in?I wouldn't worry about it, it seemed like slapstick. He is pretty much immortal, i guess he needs the least protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have Emil story questions that I kinda forgot about until now.

Why was he in a robot anyway? Like... is he the only one in one of em? He didn't even know why he was in there himself and that detail is just kind of confusing me in hindsight.

Also isn't he and his clone army TECHNICALLY human? I mean dudes a skeleton ball so maybe it's hard to argue that with the machines/androids but I find it kind of funny that he's the thing androids are trying to protect.

As to the former, I think that's just something they put in because it would be funny and own, and I kinda don't blame them since it was funny and owned.

As to the latter (humongo spoilers), Emil and the red girls are the two closest things to humans left in the setting and the androids end up killing off both of them, so yeah great work guys, glory to mankind

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I found the secret shop :3:

Also hacking is wonderful, it does so much damage. Definitely did a bunch of things earlier than I could have done without it. Mainly things involving big chufty robots.

Oh, and Route B seems to have amped up the quirky robots, although I guess a few of those are probably still available on A but I just missed them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

As to the former, I think that's just something they put in because it would be funny and own, and I kinda don't blame them since it was funny and owned.

As to the latter (humongo spoilers), Emil and the red girls are the two closest things to humans left in the setting and the androids end up killing off both of them, so yeah great work guys, glory to mankind

In fairness, the Emil in the car is not the original Emil, nor are the giant Emils the only ones left on the planet so while all of them do die, Emil isn't extinct after that. The Emil's Fists story weapon is set ~500 years after Automata ending E, and describes new Emils still being made, dying, the machine network coming back and 2B's continued survival. So really, even if you want to call Emil human, it's not like we finish off the rest of the biological humans.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Any word on Steam Preload?

If I buy this game right now on PC, will i be able to play Midnight between Thursday & Friday or do Steam games unlock at arbitrary times?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In fairness, the Emil in the car is not the original Emil, nor are the giant Emils the only ones left on the planet so while all of them do die, Emil isn't extinct after that. The Emil's Fists story weapon is set ~500 years after Automata ending E, and describes new Emils still being made, dying, the machine network coming back and 2B's continued survival. So really, even if you want to call Emil human, it's not like we finish off the rest of the biological humans.

...well clearly I need to do a 100 percent run after all, there's a lot of lore I've missed out on.

Ah but I was...there's so many games...

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

honestly doing the 100% run is easy to do if you are at the end of the game. a few shops open that sell all the really common upgrade materials you'll need. all i need is the last weapons and then ending Y

is there a specific chapter where emil sets up shop outside the resistance camp, or do i just have to keep to reloading the area? i have never had him spawn in that spot and i need the weapons he sells as the only ones i'm missing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think his last sidequest suggests that he really was the first Emil. Makes his death more poignant at least.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm done route C and looking for a resource that can help me obtain the remaining endings preferably with as few spoilers as possible, just a nudge in the right direction. I can see that I'm missing quests through chapter select but is there a way to figure out what they are? Do solid red quest icons on the mini-map signifying they've been completed?

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 15, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lets hang out posted:

I think his last sidequest suggests that he really was the first Emil. Makes his death more poignant at least.

I think it's definitely open to that interpretation and I'd kind of like to believe that's the case but also I don't want to think the original Emil died :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Corte posted:

I'm done route C and looking for a resource that can help me obtain the remaining endings preferably with as few spoilers as possible, just a nudge in the right direction. I can see that I'm missing quests through chapter select but is there a way to figure out what they are? Do solid red quest icons on the mini-map signifying they've been completed?

http://nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/Endings+Guide

But you may consider this too spoilery, it won't spoil you immediately as soon as you open the page.

Red icons on the map signify it's an available quest or new teleporter but you probably have them all considering you did route C so just quests.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are there any non-spoiler compiled list of all weapons/fish/chests and stuff so I can start making sure I pick up the stuff?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

We should spend more time with A2 :sigh:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Forest stuff.

Any reason A2 kills the king baby, other than hating machines? I enjoyed the flashbacks to the king being a good dude in the B playthrough and the related sidequest ended a bit goofy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I like A2. A lot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/

Sakurai of Smash Brothers fame gushed about Automata (and the rest of the NieR related games) in Famitsu

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Forest stuff.

Any reason A2 kills the king baby, other than hating machines? I enjoyed the flashbacks to the king being a good dude in the B playthrough and the related sidequest ended a bit goofy.

I'm pretty sure it's just because she hates machines. Speculation on my part, but perhaps it's to show her growth in a clumsy way. Goes from killing the Forest King baby just because it's a machine to defending Pascal and the children once she realises machines are just as capable of thought and empathy as any android, or perhaps more so? After we play as her, I don't believe she would have killed the child if she had known about it and its subjects.

Also, I really like that bot who sends you to get the treasure haw haw haw

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I like A2. A lot.

How badly do you want to ****?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lakbay posted:

How badly do you want to ****?

on a scale of 1 to 10...I gotta go with 9S

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

Man what did I miss? I got to the lunar tear house and heard about world war Emil, and even lifted the lil mask off his house but I didn't get anything that implied that it was the OG Emil or that he even died. Emil's my favorite NieR character so now I'm genuinely curious.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Any word on Steam Preload?

If I buy this game right now on PC, will i be able to play Midnight between Thursday & Friday or do Steam games unlock at arbitrary times?

Usually Steam games unlock at 18:00 GMT.
It sometimes varies between games but I don't think it will be the case with Nier.

I don't think there will be pre-load either.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man what did I miss? I got to the lunar tear house and heard about world war Emil, and even lifted the lil mask off his house but I didn't get anything that implied that it was the OG Emil or that he even died. Emil's my favorite NieR character so now I'm genuinely curious.

Did you do the second Emil boss battle?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a second Emil quest once you get all weapons in the game to rank 4. You need to let the quest fail at the end once to get ending Y. You can't repeat this if you successfully complete it so it's important to get ending Y the first time. I'm unsure if you need to beat the first boss fight against him which you can do by going back to where you picked up his mask and hack a new box there with 9S. He's level 99 so be aware of that

Also get some tissues for that second quest because you are probably going to well up if you love Emil/Nier 1 even a tiny bit

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I cried on the first loving quest.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i think you have to finish the first quest because that is how you get the emil head weapons aka the best weapons in the game

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So literally every ending aside from A-D are joke "GAME OVER" endings, right?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

A-E but yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm watching a notable speedrun streamer get to ending E and he's literally trying everything to get around sacrificing his save file. "Oh, it'll just delete one of my save files right?"

edit "I have auto-cloud save on, it'll be fine"

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 15, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spoilers?

I guess it's my fault for still reading the thread for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sorry, I'm a dumb idiot for that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I'm conflicted. On one hand, unmarked spoilers aren't cool. On the other, you got Jack Trades.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you want a bunch of 2B fanart, someone compiled this large list of stuff on her (all SFW). https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/5zl086/who_are_some_artists_that_make_sfw_2b_art/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are playthroughs B thru E simply "things that take place during Route A but from different perspective" or are they "alternative events that happen because of what and who and where you are"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

B is the only alternate viewpoint. CDE are continuing the story of A and B

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
All this hacking in every fight (vs flailing weakly with one lovely combo or a bad charge attack) is getting tiresome.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fuzz posted:

All this hacking in every fight (vs flailing weakly with one lovely combo or a bad charge attack) is getting tiresome.

9S has heavy attacks as well, mostly achieved via counters from my playtime

Give the boy a spear and have fun.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The S stands for Spear

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
First, draw a nine

Then draw a more different nine

For a head, put a V on a circle

Then draw some legs, put on a couple of arms and...

Woah... Wait a minute. I think I need start over. Doesn't look... natural.

The S stands for sucks.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
A loving Strongbad reference? It's 2017 right? I didn't somehow go back in time to redo events from a new perspective did I?

I would upvote that comment if possible though. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

i think you have to finish the first quest because that is how you get the emil head weapons aka the best weapons in the game

ahh yeah, of course you do. dunno how those slipped my mind.

the first fight, not quest.