Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc in ds1 throwing knives one-shot those flies in NG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Is onyx blade good for a pyromancer build? Haven't played since release but im wanting to do a run through so I can do the whole package on NG+ when the last dlc comes out.

I played a mix of quality and sorcery on my first couple runs, wanted to try something new this time around.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

2 SPOOKY posted:

Is onyx blade good for a pyromancer build? Haven't played since release but im wanting to do a run through so I can do the whole package on NG+ when the last dlc comes out.

I played a mix of quality and sorcery on my first couple runs, wanted to try something new this time around.

Yeah, it's awesome. Only bad thing is actually getting it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Yeah, it's awesome. Only bad thing is actually getting it.

Which is why you get a friendly goon to drop it for you. :D

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

HaB posted:

lmao if you didn't defeat vilhelm as soon as you could enter the painted world with a +3 claymore to get your onyx blade.

Also it's a very good sword that does massive damage against basically everything except for aldrich and twin princes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cnidaria posted:

lmao if you didn't defeat vilhelm as soon as you could enter the painted world with a +3 claymore to get your onyx blade.

Ughhhh don't remind me

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cnidaria posted:

Also it's a very good sword that does massive damage against basically everything except for aldrich and twin princes.

Speedrunners don't even hit Vilhelm, they just push him off the cliff to get the contraption (and the sword). You just 2h a shield and keep pushing him.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

did I miss the hype for the final DS3 expansion? I watched the teaser and it seems like they're going all in with the infinitely recursive city motif from the very end of the base game. I'm wondering what direction they're going to go with the story, because by the time you enter the final kiln area you've already wrecked every other person/monster/god of any significance in the game world.

I seem to remember that there was speculation that Pontiff Sully would be featured more prominently in the final xpack because he got some minor nods in the painted world and the (admittedly sparse) backstory that the game gives you makes Sully seem like this central figure to whatever has been happening in Lordran Drangleic Lothric.

personally I'd like a better explanation of what was going on with Yhorm and the profane flame, or with Ludleth and the Untended Graves, but my gut tells me From will answer zero of the dangling plot threads and instead barf up two or three new questions about the story that then never get resolved.

because the curse of humanity is the curse of want and the whole series is a meta-joke about how meaningless it is to devote all of your time to playing games and memorizing fictional worlds because in the end it amounts to nothing.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

HaB posted:

Goons aren't friendly.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

did I miss the hype for the final DS3 expansion? I watched the teaser and it seems like they're going all in with the infinitely recursive city motif from the very end of the base game. I'm wondering what direction they're going to go with the story, because by the time you enter the final kiln area you've already wrecked every other person/monster/god of any significance in the game world.

I seem to remember that there was speculation that Pontiff Sully would be featured more prominently in the final xpack because he got some minor nods in the painted world and the (admittedly sparse) backstory that the game gives you makes Sully seem like this central figure to whatever has been happening in Lordran Drangleic Lothric.

personally I'd like a better explanation of what was going on with Yhorm and the profane flame, or with Ludleth and the Untended Graves, but my gut tells me From will answer zero of the dangling plot threads and instead barf up two or three new questions about the story that then never get resolved.

because the curse of humanity is the curse of want and the whole series is a meta-joke about how meaningless it is to devote all of your time to playing games and memorizing fictional worlds because in the end it amounts to nothing.

Well, it seems like it's about the Hollows and perhaps Londor, and maybe Gwynevere or at least the angels? So it's answering a bunch of stuff, it seems like, I'm just not sure if they're going to keep going on about Sully. Maybe he'll get another tiny name-drop to tie everything together, or maybe they'll just leave it at that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sully is one of the most complete plot threads in the series imo. He's also the closest thing to a proactive, relevant and still -going antagonist which is cool

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does there exist some sort of overview or video that shows off all of Dark Souls 1? I really like how the world is interconnected, and how you can see other areas you can visit from vantage points. It's the kind of thing where I wish you see all the areas from a bird's eye view, or if there were some way to enable a free-flying camera to zoom through all the different areas.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What's this about tying Ludluth to Untended Graves/ The Champ? I don't remember that being mentioned anywhere in game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Annath posted:

What's this about tying Ludluth to Untended Graves/ The Champ? I don't remember that being mentioned anywhere in game.

there is an item you can find in untended graves that gives you new dialogue with Ludleth.

quote:

[the item]show a world destitute of fire, a barren plane of endless darkness. A place born of betrayal. So I will'd myself Lord, to link the fire, to paint a new vision. What is thine intent?"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Do the Warden Twinswords the same range as the Sellsword Twinblades? I'm a big floppy boner so I like using dual weapons like O&U, Drang stuff, etc., and I'm wanting to run with one or the other in my next playthrough, but I'd prefer to use the longer of the Warden/Sellsword Twinshit because I hate getting up in a monster's smegma to do any damage.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Does the dlc ever go on sale on PS4 or should I just grab it whenever? Also when in the game does it open up, just started NG+

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Darth Windu posted:

Does the dlc ever go on sale on PS4 or should I just grab it whenever? Also when in the game does it open up, just started NG+

First DLC becomes available at the Cathedral of the Deep but on NG is intended for Lothric Castle-level, but on NG+ probably doesn't matter.

The second DLC not sure yet but it will almost certainly be accessible only from the Kiln at the end of the game.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

bewilderment posted:

First DLC becomes available at the Cathedral of the Deep but on NG is intended for Lothric Castle-level, but on NG+ probably doesn't matter.

The second DLC not sure yet but it will almost certainly be accessible only from the Kiln at the end of the game.

They said after lothric so maybe not? Maybe its in that dead end area after dragonslayer armor.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Azuth0667 posted:

They said after lothric so maybe not? Maybe its in that dead end area after dragonslayer armor.

That's not a dead end, it's a shortcut up to the Princes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Inspector_666 posted:

That's not a dead end, it's a shortcut up to the Princes.

Wait that hall after dragonslayer and before the grand archives bonfire is a shortcut :shepface:?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait that hall after dragonslayer and before the grand archives bonfire is a shortcut :shepface:?!

Wait maybe I'm confused. There's the stairs right up to the first Archives bonfire, which has the main entrance and then a hallway to an elevator that is a shortcut into the Archives.

Then there's the other route that leads up into a church-like area which has an elevator that goes right up to the top of the stairs where the Princes are.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait maybe I'm confused. There's the stairs right up to the first Archives bonfire, which has the main entrance and then a hallway to an elevator that is a shortcut into the Archives.

Then there's the other route that leads up into a church-like area which has an elevator that goes right up to the top of the stairs where the Princes are.

This is right after the bonfire in the depression between the stairs down from dragonslayer armor and up to the grand archives bonfire.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Azuth0667 posted:

This is right after the bonfire in the depression between the stairs down from dragonslayer armor and up to the grand archives bonfire.

In that case I have no idea, I thought it was just up one short flight to the next bonfire from Dragonslayer.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Here's right after the bonfire:

Here's the split I'm talking about one part which goes down to a titanite chunk:

The other part which goes to this:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh yeah, poo poo, I totally forgot about that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I forgot how much I missed power stancing two avelyns.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

HaB posted:

Are you a friendly goon? I'm on pc.

I was planning on slumming it till Moonlight Greatsword, then upgrade to onyx when I got the chance, but if someone wouldn't mind helping that'd be rad. It sounds like you can get them at roughly the same SL on NG?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

2 SPOOKY posted:

I was planning on slumming it till Moonlight Greatsword, then upgrade to onyx when I got the chance, but if someone wouldn't mind helping that'd be rad. It sounds like you can get them at roughly the same SL on NG?

Yeah I'd love an onyx sword if anyone on PS4 has an extra, I also never found that game of thrones looking armor so that's disappointing

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah I'd love an onyx sword if anyone on PS4 has an extra, I also never found that game of thrones looking armor so that's disappointing

GoT looking armor??

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Annath posted:

GoT looking armor??

Yeah it's got fur on the shoulders and a cape.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Not sure which armor set you're referring to, but if it's one of the DLC ones:

- Follower set comes from the dudes right at the start (and any of their relatives further in) as random drops
- Millwood set comes from the handmaid after you give her some ashes you find in the section with the tanky antler-horned Millwood knights (specifically in the tower with the sniper)
- Slave set (Gael's outfit) is found in the corvian village; during your rooftop explorations, inside one of the buildings there's a hole you can drop down to get to it and open a one-way door to get back out
- Ordained set (Friede's outfit) comes from the handmaid after you beat Friede
- Vilhelm's set is found in the bug pit

Assuming you've explored thoroughly and bought out the handmaid, the Follower set is the only one you might still be missing, since it's the only new thing from the DLC that comes as a random drop. (All the weapons and spells have fixed locations.)

Darth Windu posted:

I don't think Vilhelm's set has much shoulder fur and I don't think Follower set has a cape, so my guess would be Millwood set. Though I could be forgetting (or falsely remembering) fur and capes. Millwood's most distinctive feature to me is the antler horns. :shrug:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It isn't any of the sets you mentioned, luckily since I don't have the dlc yet. I'll look through the sets until I find it. It looks really cool, I think it was on one of the covers or ads.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Darth Windu posted:

It isn't any of the sets you mentioned, luckily since I don't have the dlc yet. I'll look through the sets until I find it. It looks really cool, I think it was on one of the covers or ads.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Drang+Armor+Set

It's super classy, yeah.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

sounds like the Drang Armor Set? If that's what you mean, it's in Cathedral of the Deep, at one of the giant's feet. The one closer to the boss of the area.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Whoa that looks awesome too. But I was talking about this one:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Faraam+Armor+Set

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darth Windu posted:

gently caress I was gonna guess that!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

hanales posted:

Goons aren't friendly.

Not sure what your experiences have been, but I can't think of a single goon interaction I have had - real-life or gamingwise that wasn't positive. Sorry you have been hanging out with the wrong goons. :(

2 SPOOKY posted:

I am a friendly goon - but sadly I am not a PC player.

Darth Windu posted:

Add me on PSN: Monkrocker. Pretty sure I have one on at least one char, but if not, I can add you to the Goon group chat and someone there definitely will. Plus lately - a few of us have been co-op'ing every night. With varying degrees of success - if last night is any indication. Co-op is hilariously fun and trivializes most of the game, unless....

Not actually sure of his Forums name (I know his PSN name), but a now regular co-op partner and I were playing last night and BOTH having a terrible night. I think we both got killed twice in hilariously dumb ways by the two Silver Knights on the Anor Londo stairs before we finally made it up. :v: Then we both died to Aldrich and on the next attempt he died and I only managed to win because Aldrich suddenly switched to Easy Mode and didn't do any attack except the super-telegraphed scythe lunge. We decided to quit while we were ahead and called it a night.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Looks like 2 new arena maps are dropping on the 24th. Guess that's when the big DLC content update drops; can't wait to see the patch notes.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Does there exist some sort of overview or video that shows off all of Dark Souls 1? I really like how the world is interconnected, and how you can see other areas you can visit from vantage points. It's the kind of thing where I wish you see all the areas from a bird's eye view, or if there were some way to enable a free-flying camera to zoom through all the different areas.

It's not super pretty, but someone made a map of Dark Souls 1 using collision data:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTB5vhKGSI

Google something like "dark souls 3d map viewer" and you'll find a few different versions to play around with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah that's the iconic DS2 armor.

You can get it from the maiden after you kill a guy wearing it.