Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Can't wait for next year when Jontron is releasing triweekly videos about how Anita Sarkeesian is actually Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

:vince:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Holy poo poo this is awesome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's perfect :allears:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

That was beautiful.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Compounding this is that many performer-critics are intent on playing a role that's really just an exaggerated version of themselves (kind of bad for criticism, lol). One gets the impression that even they might not know where the performance and the performer begin and end. You never get that with James Rolfe and AVGN, who's not even a critic but someone performing a wacky comedy character reacting to bullshit.

One thing that bothers me with guys like that is the "character" argument. When they finally get really called out or substantially rebutted for something, they hand wave away all arguments as "that's a character, it's not me so therefore QED you're wrong." Often their "character's" opinions often line up with their personal ones, so it's obnoxious and it smacks of having their cake and eating it too when it comes to giving out criticism and letting in little themselves.

While I'm not a huge fan of that Shammy guy who does the Actual Review series, I appreciate that he said that the character he does often lines up with him but is just a bit more mean-spirited for comedy's sake and he can understand the confusion instead of the typical Tuber "Haha you idiot that's just a character" escape pod.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

I know we're not supposed to like anything around here, but I'm really disappointed to learn that Jafari is yet another internet rear end in a top hat. The one video he did was p funny. gently caress him, racist prick.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I was betting the Nintendo fanbase getting mad at Jim Sterling was what caused all the posts. Instead it's Jontron basically destroying his career thanks to having rear end in a top hat opinions. Which is sad cuz the dude had a pretty nice singing voice IMO. Oh well, he gets what he deserves I suppose.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

In other news, spoopyvid overanalyzer Night Mind covered "Children of the Mirror" by Wham City Comedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQhddiJ_EM

In addition to his usual bad habit of assuming every goddam thing is a secret message, he at one point shows a clip and then repeats what the clip just loving said to explain it, which is something. Still, a pretty solid overview once you look past that goofiness. I definitely respect NM's collecting and summarizing the info, even as his tinfoil hattery makes me yell at my screen.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Captain Rufus posted:

I was betting the Nintendo fanbase getting mad at Jim Sterling was what caused all the posts. Instead it's Jontron basically destroying his career thanks to having rear end in a top hat opinions. Which is sad cuz the dude had a pretty nice singing voice IMO. Oh well, he gets what he deserves I suppose.

He should audition for "Springtime For Hitler," except not as a joke. He does a bad Nathan Lane impression already, after all.

(Yes, I know that character isn't in the musical - shut up)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

In other news, spoopyvid overanalyzer Night Mind covered "Children of the Mirror" by Wham City Comedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQhddiJ_EM

In addition to his usual bad habit of assuming every goddam thing is a secret message, he at one point shows a clip and then repeats what the clip just loving said to explain it, which is something. Still, a pretty solid overview once you look past that goofiness. I definitely respect NM's collecting and summarizing the info, even as his tinfoil hattery makes me yell at my screen.

Wham City is getting good at this poo poo. I forget where the interview is, but when This House Has People in It was getting going, one of the Wham City people talked about it and said they were really into making complex narratives that demand insane close-reading and resist complete or consistent explanation. It's the perfect formula for the Night Mind guy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

we should have seen it coming

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

we should have seen it coming

Wait, is he saying that he "doesn't see race" (tm) and watches that guy's videos for reasons unrelated to race, or is he saying that he refuses to watch videos made by a black person?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This was a while back, it was a "joke" at the time.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Wham City is getting good at this poo poo. I forget where the interview is, but when This House Has People in It was getting going, one of the Wham City people talked about it and said they were really into making complex narratives that demand insane close-reading and resist complete or consistent explanation. It's the perfect formula for the Night Mind guy.

Except that dude assumes consistent, complete explanations exist, and also apparently just totally misses obvious details. :negative:

But yeah, the backstory is really helpful and something I'd miss if I were watching things on their own.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jack Gladney posted:

Wait, is he saying that he "doesn't see race" (tm) and watches that guy's videos for reasons unrelated to race, or is he saying that he refuses to watch videos made by a black person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6uTKPwVnNI

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

His tone I didn't expect. I thought it would be more angry, instead it's derisive and smug.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Grondoth posted:

His tone I didn't expect. I thought it would be more angry, instead it's derisive and smug.

Yes, most racists of that ilk are smug as hell. That gameshow poo poo he did to Zoe Quinn a while back should've been a warning.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

Yes, most racists of that ilk are smug as hell. That gameshow poo poo he did to Zoe Quinn a while back should've been a warning.

Which is pretty funny cause he, right there, is misinterpreting studies. Like, if you're gonna be smug, at least fuckin'... know what you're talking about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Grondoth posted:

Which is pretty funny cause he, right there, is misinterpreting studies. Like, if you're gonna be smug, at least fuckin'... know what you're talking about.

That is antithesis to Jon, Sargon, Golden One, etc.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Dunkey's not even black!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In other news, Noah Caldwell-Gervais tackles Tyranny.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Dunkey's not even black!

:thejoke:

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

A fantastic video, and more than just a video game review.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXko5Te9lg

Mr Enter is back with a list of the worst cartoons of the 90s. Worth it just to remind me how batshit insane the Donkey Kong cartoon was, and for also presenting the theory that Caillou is responsible for the hatred of millenials.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fuuuck the DK cartoon continues to baffle me that it's older than I thought it was. I could have sworn that it was like an early 2000s product, but no, it was mid to late 90s hot on the heels of the Donkey Kong Country games themselves. Funnily enough, as spotty as the voice acting was for it, I will give it credit, every character (sans Donkey Kong himself, ironically) sounds about close to how I imagined them sounding as a kid. DK just sounds like some washed up surfer. Oh and I guess Candy Kong too, but that's because they tried to turn her from Pamela Anderson into Dot Matrix for the show.

Really, the only good thing that came out of the DK cartoon was the revelation that DK's head was actually shaped like his hair. That was a joke WAY too good for that show.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I enjoy some of the music from it. It's just goofy enough to be enjoyable; I'm sure there are worse 90's cartoons, but its his opinion and all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mischalaniouse posted:

I enjoy some of the music from it. It's just goofy enough to be enjoyable; I'm sure there are worse 90's cartoons, but its his opinion and all.

It's no Bubsy or Battletoads.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His talk about cartoons based on R-rated films made me want to watch Roughnecks again. And wow, for a show that has some dated CGI to be sure, it still holds up really well with its art direction, action and dialogue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

The pirate songs owned and that is a fact.

e: oh god drat it and now it's in my head, it's like the revenge of my grade-school years

Lyin', lootin', stealin'
Is the reason I'm a pi-rate!
Ransackin', pillagin'
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
Plunderin' and pilferin'
Make up a healthy diet!
Arrr, look at me
I'm doin' the Booty Boogie~

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 16, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mischalaniouse posted:

A fantastic video, and more than just a video game review.

A bit sophomoric but really absorbing. I was shocked when I looked down and noticed that I'd listened to a 45-minute video that felt like it went by in just 15.

e: And maybe most importantly, I'm interested in playing the game myself.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

His talk about cartoons based on R-rated films made me want to watch Roughnecks again. And wow, for a show that has some dated CGI to be sure, it still holds up really well with its art direction, action and dialogue.

The Roughneck Chronicles is amazing and well worth a watch if you can get ahold of it. It is also a loving travesty that they pulled the budget out from under it and killed the show four episodes away from the ending. Seriously, it just ends right in the middle of the final campaign.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0to-ATnrQ

I like Donkey Kong as a source of videos I see on youtube sometimes

I don't know the context to this, and I never want to, because it would only spoil it

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Vanderdeath posted:

Yes, most racists of that ilk are smug as hell.

One core of populist viewpoints is that your simple answers have clearly outwitted all those educated people with facts, numbers and hard problems needing hard solutions. Smug kinda gets baked into that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I had a VHS of that Donkey Kong Show back in the day, where they mashed together a bunch of episodes out of order with no rhyme or reason and called it a movie. The songs will never leave my head

♫ I'll make ya swab the deck and then I'll throw ya in the brig
I swear I'll make ya walk the plank to right the wrong ya did
The day you messed with Scurvy, arr you'll wish yer never born
When the coconut is mine you'll feel this pirate's scorn♫

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 16, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

stillvisions posted:

One core of populist viewpoints is that your simple answers have clearly outwitted all those educated people with facts, numbers and hard problems needing hard solutions. Smug kinda gets baked into that.

this is not even remotely a universal truth

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grondoth posted:

Remember that he gets his political views from Sargon

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can never tell if season 1 or 2 looks uglier.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

financially racist posted:

this is not even remotely a universal truth

Sounds like you need a little common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Apparently YouTube has been age-restricting videos relating to LBGTQ issues.

Kim Justice talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RyWr_0gHU

• Locked thread