Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Blightfall is, like, the only pack I've ever played where Spice of Life is actually serving a functional purpose. It encourages you to go out and explore, to find the staples you need for your diet.

I wish I'd found the tomatoes prior to being well past needing to eat. All the seed bags I bought trying to get those. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

How does one get to the end islands without flight? Is the answer 'build a bridge 1000 blocks long'? ATM Expert seems to be gating all jetpacks behind steel, and steel is gated behind chorus fruit.

Rending gale does seem to be craftable without steel, but it requires a 10% drop from charged creepers. Roots has a spell to call lightning tho, so some experimentation is required.

Update: Got rending gale, and man it feels so good to fly. Just need to get a chicken farm and I'll be set for a long while. This modpack certainly is a different pace from what I'm used to, lol. I'm actually delving into IC2 because enderio is the endgame here.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sage Grimm posted:

Hey Vib Rib, thanks for making that EZ_TerraFirmaCraft pack. I've put about two in-game years of time into it, getting up to really early machine age (rock crusher, furnace) and building a red steel anvil (and forging an ultimate bucket). Really wish there was more after that in the quest book than "you either get to build Mekanism as your ultimate goal (FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF, probably the original quest line) OR use Immersive Engineering to bootstrap into Mekanism, which we'll start by coal coke, grinding it down to powder and then suddenly pivot in the same quest to building the Squeezer machine; say goodbye to your iron/steel/black steel!" :sigh:

I'm glad you did point out the Roller machine (and further intermediates) because I would otherwise have dropped the modpack. I can't imagine trying this poo poo with the default ore generation rules either; I haven't had to branch mine using a one block tool for years and it's not my idea of fun, even with the returns on a very large sample of a rich vein.
I did my best with the final quests, but at that point you're basically already able to double ore and a single rich vein should give you all the ore you need. I figure iron is the ore you're running short on, and an iron-bearing ore will appear in good quantity in just about every type of stone, so hopefully it's not that rare -- at worst I imagine you'll have to seek out another vein?
I admit that the final IE quest which has you build like 4 different machines is very dense, but they're all churned out in quick succession just to get the end result which is the Arc Furnace -- which sadly you only need to use like, once, because the pack gates aluminium plates behind it, and you need those for your Mek-based ore tripling. At that point there's probably nothing else you'd be building that needs all that material anyway, though.
I didn't think the Mekanism part was that much "figure it out yourself!" -- if anything I think I skimped more on IE, but even then I thought I had a pretty good chunk of quests dedicated to the infuser, the upgrade system, and so on.

And yeah, while I added a lot of quests to highlight useful things, I think the most important was probably highlighting the roller/crusher/blast furnace stuff, which really revolutionizes processing. I'm glad you enjoyed the pack, at least.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
To be honest I didn't look too closely at the Mekanism quest but I was assuming it was the last one of the pack. It was also during the period of time where I thought I had to use the bloomery to get wrought iron (and then steel with the IE blast furnace) instead of the rock crusher->dirty iron dust->iron chain and the material requirements for that first machine seemed exasperatingly high. The vein I was talking about was rich, fortunately, and the only one I had bookmarked for iron; there were a couple other ones for normal iron but because of the above erroneous thinking I wanted to concentrate as much ore to preserve my charcoal stock.

Ultimately it comes down to pure laziness on my part and being spoiled by having more accessible automation at my fingertips from the last modpack I played. :v: You did good work on expanding on the questlines.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Blightfall is, like, the only pack I've ever played where Spice of Life is actually serving a functional purpose. It encourages you to go out and explore, to find the staples you need for your diet.

I went out and got an axe of healing before I bothered to make a cooking for blockheads kitchen.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's the fact that you already kind of need to explore a lot in blightfall to get quite a few things, so, i'm not sure how the arbitrary food mod plays into incentivizing the thing you already sort of need to do

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have been having great fun on a server modpack

https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/apocalyptic-gaming-tech-rpg.363244

They have just reset the end and the nether so its ideal to come check it out - Magic + Tech = Great fun.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Been trying to get a 1.10 modpack together for a friend and I just spent multiple hours trying to figure out why all zombies were suddenly angels and would slowly float away when killed.

Turns out it's a holiday easter egg in iChunUtil that triggers today because Valentine's Day is March 14th when you don't realize Java starts months at zero.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Threep posted:

Turns out it's a holiday easter egg in iChunUtil that triggers today because Valentine's Day is March 14th when you don't realize Java starts months at zero.
I was wondering if that was the mod that gave the developers backdoors. I'm not sure, but apparently it had a prank in it to randomly make players sick in-game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

I have been having great fun on a server modpack

https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/apocalyptic-gaming-tech-rpg.363244

They have just reset the end and the nether so its ideal to come check it out - Magic + Tech = Great fun.

I just tried this and it was totally empty and non of the worlds I went to seemed to have anything built at all. Did the whole place just restart or what? From the descriptions I expected to see at least SOMETHING built other than the spawn zone.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

neogeo0823 posted:

Quoting this from last page. I'm still looking around. Does anyone have any ideas?

You could use Biomes O'Plenty and just disable the non-ocean biomes. Maybe keep the swampy/shorey ones.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I was having horrid performance in frenzys Grimdark pack (1.10), to the point where it took about half an hour to set up keybinds because of how slow the UI was working even before logging in to the game itself. I tried changing RAM values, installing and removing Optifine, loving with mods that could possibly affect performance, and nothing let me have more than 2fps both ingame and out.

...until I turned off mipmaps. Then everything worked perfectly, no slowdowns at all, no spikes, nothing.

How the hell could having mipmaps turned on gently caress everything up so badly?

Threep posted:

Usually because you're running out of VRAM

Also, about my earlier problem:

Oh. Yeah that makes sense.

Man I like this Fruitphone. Fancy poo poo.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Black Pants posted:

How the hell could having mipmaps turned on gently caress everything up so badly?
Usually because you're running out of VRAM

Also, about my earlier problem:

iChun posted:

Whoooooooooooooops

Threep fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 15, 2017

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

I just tried this and it was totally empty and non of the worlds I went to seemed to have anything built at all. Did the whole place just restart or what? From the descriptions I expected to see at least SOMETHING built other than the spawn zone.

The Nether, End and resource worlds have been reset the other day and sanctuary is the usual place for building, however everyone seems to have gone away from spawn

I have an end game base out about 5k from spawn (there is a /rtp command for random teleport)

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Are lootbags safe to open, or is it just the chance cubes I have to watch out for? I started playing Project Ozone 2 with the ice world. When I made it from the template, I had a warning message about things missing?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Lootbags are safe. Cubes and isohachadendronwhatever are the ones you have to watch out for.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I want to put a modpack together, how do I get started?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bluemillion posted:

I usually start by grabbing a really big mod pack that already exists, then taking out what I don't want, adding what I do. Saves a lot of time.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Bluemillion posted:

Open the Curse launcher, click Create Custom Profile, then Get More Content and install mods until you're satisfied.

Or as Rutibex says, start with an existing modpack and edit it the same way.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What's the best way to get a million dimlets?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

Killing (farming ;)) Endermen or make a random dimension and explore for the dimension houses, which have some Item Frames and chests with dimlet modifiers and components.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I was going through that modpack I've been slowly tinkering with, and just realized something...

There isn't a stand-alone generic pipes mod for 1.10, is there? The only one I've seen is Pressure Pipes, but that's just for liquid. It seems like if you want pipes for anything you have to get a whole tech mod, but oddly there are standalone mods for every version except 1.10.

I don't think I really need one, since IE has fluid pipes and conveyer belts, but still. Just struck me as odd.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the enderman thing where they drop dimlets is still a thing. Also, if they're in dungeon loot than Botania's loot flower (Loonium?) should do it. But failing all that, you can always generate a dimension conducive to finding those shacks that have a bunch of dimlets inside them. I particularly go for ocean biomes so I can whisk around on a boat. The terrain is flat so the huts are very visible, and boat travel is much faster--outside of the bugs with boats.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

There isn't a stand-alone generic pipes mod for 1.10, is there? The only one I've seen is Pressure Pipes, but that's just for liquid. It seems like if you want pipes for anything you have to get a whole tech mod, but oddly there are standalone mods for every version except 1.10.
Mcjty (RFTools)'s XNet is a pipes mod with centralized management.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Threep posted:

Mcjty (RFTools)'s XNet is a pipes mod with centralized management.

Huh. Well, there you are, then. I'll have to give that a try.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think the enderman thing where they drop dimlets is still a thing. Also, if they're in dungeon loot than Botania's loot flower (Loonium?) should do it. But failing all that, you can always generate a dimension conducive to finding those shacks that have a bunch of dimlets inside them. I particularly go for ocean biomes so I can whisk around on a boat. The terrain is flat so the huts are very visible, and boat travel is much faster--outside of the bugs with boats.

Oh so the Dimlets are like Mystcraft pages? I was wondering what those were, playing Project Ozone 2. I was actually half tempted to add Mystcraft to PO2 for the dimensional travel, but if RF Tools can make custom dimensions I don't need to bother!

I still added Twilight Forest to the pack though, with all the other dimensions and alien planets it felt like it was missing.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Oh so the Dimlets are like Mystcraft pages? I was wondering what those were, playing Project Ozone 2. I was actually half tempted to add Mystcraft to PO2 for the dimensional travel, but if RF Tools can make custom dimensions I don't need to bother!
Yeah, RFTools is literally Tech-Mystcraft with a lot of other useful features. In the Ozone version the other highlights include a 300-stack chest and the Screen which is an extremely useful status monitoring tool for other machines.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RFTools Dimensions are like Mystcraft, except actually written by a somewhat more competent developer

oh and they require power too but that isn't a big deal usually

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

RFTools Dimensions are like Mystcraft, except actually written by a somewhat more competent developer

oh and they require power too but that isn't a big deal usually
Except in Project Ozone 2 the power requirements for dimensions are scaled up enormously (like, tens of thousands of RF/t for even simple dimensions). Reactor output is also scaled up, but you need to be able to build and feed a good-sized reactor before sustaining a dimension is really feasible.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

my favorite rftools dimensions are ones made of liquid nuclear fuel

pump it into a tinker's construct casting table or casting basin to solidify it, then pipe ingots into your reactor

however it's highly advised to have flight and a fire protection method because you will need to swim in molten radioactive metal

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Halibut Barn posted:

Except in Project Ozone 2 the power requirements for dimensions are scaled up enormously (like, tens of thousands of RF/t for even simple dimensions). Reactor output is also scaled up, but you need to be able to build and feed a good-sized reactor before sustaining a dimension is really feasible.

I actually really enjoy this mechanic, it seems really appropriate for generating dimension and gives me an excuse to build more power generators! My little reactor can generate 50,000+ RF/t at the moment, but some of the dimlets I looked up in PO2 require 80,000+ RF! :psyduck: Its good to have something to work up towards, the 50,000 RF I am generating is excessive for my current needs.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
IIRC randomly-created dimentions have much lower power requirements so you can just keep popping to new dimensions until you find your uranium oceans.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
There's always using turbines off the BR if/when you get to the point of needing more juice for those dimensions.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Thinking about getting back into Minecraft for a little bit, is Technic still the launcher of choice, and is there a modpack that would accommodate an interest in a little tech, a little magic, and a little farming/botany stuff without breaking my laptop?

I don't quite recall which mods were my go-to choices the last time I played, but there was Thaumcraft, AE, some form of crops mod ("Better crops" or something? the one with the weird dust and stones to combine poo poo around), and some other stuff in there, wasn't too taxing on my CPU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Thinking about getting back into Minecraft for a little bit, is Technic still the launcher of choice, and is there a modpack that would accommodate an interest in a little tech, a little magic, and a little farming/botany stuff without breaking my laptop?

I don't quite recall which mods were my go-to choices the last time I played, but there was Thaumcraft, AE, some form of crops mod ("Better crops" or something? the one with the weird dust and stones to combine poo poo around), and some other stuff in there, wasn't too taxing on my CPU

I threw this one together for my family to play modded Minecraft 1.10.2 with using the Curse launcher, which seems to easiest for setting up/modifying your own modpacks (feel free to branch from mine and modify to your heart's content, or find another closer to what you're looking for). This modpack runs on a five year old laptop (much better since FoamFix was posted here and I added it ;)) fairly well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rutibex posted:

I still added Twilight Forest to the pack though, with all the other dimensions and alien planets it felt like it was missing.

Yeah and I see the thread has already said some stuff here. I figured I'd add that they aren't so fussy about ordering the dimlets. Mystcraft pages were The Devil when it came to setting up a book.

So you generally set it up with as close to one biome as you can get, and otherwise try to indicate the world should be very boring. You finally specify a biome with some water and then you can sail around to all the different huts that come up in the dimension and snatch dimlets from there. You can wipe down redundant ones and try to get them to regenerate as something else interesting.

IIRC you can basically recreate the Overworld from craftable dimlets.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are there good 1.10 packs out now?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Doorknob Slobber posted:

FTB:Beyond is a decent 'big' pack, there's a few other large ones. Playing it right now. First non-quest modpack I've played in a while.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

FTB:Beyond, Sky Factory 3, and Forever Stranded are some big 1.10 packs, there's also Farming Valley for a sort of unique experience. And the crazy nonsense frenzy made called Grimdark.

Also yeah make a RFTools dimension without any dimlets added and it'll be completely randomized, but it'll most likely have whatever the dimensional ore is called, and with enough of that you can make rftools machines more efficient and cost less RF.

As for Duzzy Funlop, Technic still has a bunch of stuff but I don't really know how to search it for things like you can with the FTB replacement Curse made. (It's just the Curse or Curse Voice client whatever it's called now, it has a Minecraft tab that connects to the FTB/Curse pack database.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

lolmer posted:

I threw this one together for my family to play modded Minecraft 1.10.2 with using the Curse launcher, which seems to easiest for setting up/modifying your own modpacks (feel free to branch from mine and modify to your heart's content, or find another closer to what you're looking for). This modpack runs on a five year old laptop (much better since FoamFix was posted here and I added it ;)) fairly well.
Foamfix is incredible, it's made my clusterfuck of a modpack playable on older machines so more of my friends can join in on my server. Modded MC really does blow out the RAM usage.