Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a good reason for that; N64 games are idiosyncratically hatefucked builds coded out of spite for the machine, so no game will ever work the same as any other. That's what happens when you (apparently) release a devkit and make the developers all work without class guides. It is almost a literal miracle that any game works on the drat thing, let alone a library of decent titles.

Not only that, but in order to compete with playstation and get around the N64's limitations (not that the PS1 didn't have limitations too) devs ended up doing all kinds of crazy back-alley hacks even in official certified games. Things the console was never really intended to do, but hey it worked.

Like you say its a miracle most N64 games don't just catch fire when you turn them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

Not only that, but in order to compete with playstation and get around the N64's limitations (not that the PS1 didn't have limitations too) devs ended up doing all kinds of crazy back-alley hacks even in official certified games. Things the console was never really intended to do, but hey it worked.

Again though, this shows up in every console out there, especially once you reach the midpoint of its life.

It's just that the emulators for those other systems weren't built in the completely hacked together way the usual N64 emulator core is, so no one has much reason to notice it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, as I recall PS1 emulators are still reliant on third-party plugins for a lot of their legwork like N64 ones are.

Though I tried a build of EPSXE not that long ago, and it was a lot more competent than I recall it being.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, as I recall PS1 emulators are still reliant on third-party plugins for a lot of their legwork like N64 ones are.

Though I tried a build of EPSXE not that long ago, and it was a lot more competent than I recall it being.

PSX emulator plugins are mostly for making things look nicer or play faster on lousy hardware and have been for quite a while now. The pile of hacks in the mainstream N64 emulators are needed for things to run, because they never really built a solid cycle-accurate emulation core.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Since N64 games are such a cluster gently caress it's impressive that krikzz got the everdrive64 to have the crazy high compatibility it has.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Plugins aren't a bad design either though. N64 emulation for a long time was barely even emulation and more of just wrapping the games to become windows programs on their own because someone decided that it was all just C anyway and you can just turn that into Directx calls.

The N64 is a mess, but it's not in any way that makes emulation anything specially harder than the SNES or whatever. The Everdrive works fine too since all it's doing is feeding the N64 data. It doesn't have to emulate special chips or command the N64 itself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

The base ePSXe cores work fine. No third-party plugins needed. Though I think the graphics core is based on the old P.E.Op.S software rendering plugin.

e: actually now that I think about it the core plugins are probably just packaged 3rd party ones.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 15, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

A. Just because it isn't the best game doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just gets a way harsher rep than it should.

B. I've read a few times that choosing games that got released was hilariously mishandled, I don't doubt that this had an effect on things like pack-in titles either. Also, everybody did platformers. You can make the Legendary Axe argument, but R-Type wasn't likely to happen. The first shooter pack in I remember is that disc with Air Zonk.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/225466/stalled_engine_the_turbografx16_.php?print=1

I agree that Keith Courage gets much more flak than it would if it were just another anime-based game that a few unfortunate souls imported back in the day, but, well, a turd's a turd.

R-Type very nearly was the pack-in. John Greiner, who was with Hudson for 20 years, mentions it here around the 25-minute mark. Both John and Victor Ireland put the blame on the American branch, however, so maybe I'm off-base in thinking it was the Japanese side that wanted Keith Courage. He was apparently named after an American company VP.

I wonder if they might've been swayed toward R-Type if they'd waited and watched the Genesis launch with the arcade-spawned Altered Beast. Splatterhouse would've been the best TurboGrafx response to Altered Beast, of course, but it wasn't out yet.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 15, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

worthless. posted:

Since N64 games are such a cluster gently caress it's impressive that krikzz got the everdrive64 to have the crazy high compatibility it has.

No, there's very little weird hardware in N64 cartridges. The only major hurdle is to properly simulate the three different forms of on-cartridge saves (since that's battery backed SRAM, EEPROM or flash ROM depending on the game).

The small amount of incompatibility on the Everdrive 64 is down to a few games having extra-robust anti-piracy code related to the lockout chips, or having radically unusual hardware included, like Animal Crossing's real time clock, and the flash memory card slot one Japan only release had. And the version 3 release of the cartridge adds in a real time clock for Animal Crossing and fixes some issues other games had with saving properly (which were mostly due to those games having unusually large save files).

Elliotw2 posted:

Plugins aren't a bad design either though. N64 emulation for a long time was barely even emulation and more of just wrapping the games to become windows programs on their own because someone decided that it was all just C anyway and you can just turn that into Directx calls.

The N64 is a mess, but it's not in any way that makes emulation anything specially harder than the SNES or whatever. The Everdrive works fine too since all it's doing is feeding the N64 data. It doesn't have to emulate special chips or command the N64 itself.

Yeah we had that method of very high level emulation used because it meant your 233 MHz Pentium II in 1999 could run Mario 64 in full speed, when proper emulation would have been completely out of the question.

And the CEN64 and MAME driver projects show exactly how we could have had way better emulation all along, though they will require higher system requirements since they will essentially be skipping any shortcuts in emulation now that the average computer is so much faster. People just plain didn't bother to emulate the N64 right for the longest time.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 15, 2017

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Id pay to have a great version of wii64 ported to wii u

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have to chime in to confirm that Keith Courage is a stinker. Not "hate it with the first of a thousand burning suns and the sole reason the TG16 failed" stinker, but a stinker nonetheless.

I would play it rather than Altered Beast, though.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

I have to chime in to confirm that Keith Courage is a stinker. Not "hate it with the first of a thousand burning suns and the sole reason the TG16 failed" stinker, but a stinker nonetheless.

I would play it rather than Altered Beast, though.

I actually enjoy both games. They are by no means system sellers or rate higher than OK but they are fun little diversions! AB even has a 2 player mode!

But at launch/near launch honestly I'm thinking for the TG either Blazing Lasers, Dungeon Explorer, or Bomberman would have been superior choices. The latter 2 even showing off 5 player option. Legendary Axe is legit though loving hard.

As much as Splatterhouse is one of my favorite games it's not really family friendly...

For the Genny AB wasn't that bad a choice honestly. Ghouls and Ghosts or Golden Axe are way better though. In that window Alex Kidd or Mystic Defender are both quite solid too. I suppose Truxton just because I want it legit because CGR worships it and it now wouldn't be stupid priced. Loved by popular Youtuber, not big on release, and a SHMUP? Abandon wallet ye who enter here!

Also I totally wanted one of the Keith Courage armor suit toys released in the last few years. But 40-80 bucks really isn't my bag for another toy. That's like 2-3 more complete Atari 800 carts! Or the dual Flightstick for the PS1 I want terribly. I have the Figma Samus though. But it was on sale. And she stays in her box so she doesn't get dusty. (The Sakura Wars 5 kits used to be 30 and I was iffy on them. Now they are like 70 on eBay in spite of nobody buying them. I want the Lawyer's mech because she is cool and only valid 1 run romance character, and the Mexican girl's because she is in the Roaring 20s with a transforming steampunk robot dual wielding ROBOT SIZED SIX SHOOTERS. She is just adorable. In a just world the game would have an ending where you adopt her and there is a cut scene at the end where you are just bawling at her wedding 10x years after like a good dad. )

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 15, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm one of the people who actually played it as the pack in game when it came out though :toot: and I was pretty happy with it as a kid. Bonk would have been clearly superior, but I still Genuinely Like™ good ol' KC.

e : I like it enough that I put in a preorder for this model kit because poo poo yeah

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10452887

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Keith Courage is fun. I had no idea it was based on an anime until a few years ago. Kid me loved fighting against giant gun people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, how have I gone this long in life without knowing a TaleSpin game existed.

That was my favourite show for the longest time.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Gamasutra posted:

"I became aware of so many cool games for PC Engine, and NEC was bringing over so many of the wrong games for the TurboGrafx," Ireland says. "The people in charge of picking what games to do were completely out of their element. A main producer was letting her little kids pick which games to bring over because she had no idea what she was looking at. It was absurd."

Ireland is mostly full of poo poo. Take a look at the TG16 library, and you'll find the JP-made games are generally pretty good overall! I'd say they did a pretty decent job. Maybe it was because of the kids picking out their favorite fun games, rather than in spite of it? Sure it's not an industry-standard practice, but it seemed effective in hindsight.

It would've been nice to have a few DQ-style RPGs on HuCard, though. And obviously way more CD games than what was released (Drac X for one). Still, I'm really amazed that they brought over stuff like Lords of Thunder, Soldier Blade, and the Crushes, just to name a few.

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo, how have I gone this long in life without knowing a TaleSpin game existed.

Related to what I said above, there were also different Talespin and Darkwing Duck games for TG16. They were made by US companies that had no budget and no idea what they were doing, so they were awful.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You shouldn't be amazed about Alien and Devil Crush, they're some of the best looking pinball games ever made and in 89 Alien Crush was practically a fuckin' revelation. It's still my favorite (yes I know Devil is objectively better but that's not the point).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I'm one of the people who actually played it as the pack in game when it came out though :toot: and I was pretty happy with it as a kid. Bonk would have been clearly superior, but I still Genuinely Like™ good ol' KC.

So am I and I was glad I also got Legendary Axe.

Martytoof posted:

Don't get too excited. It's probably the worst of Capcom's Disney NES games. Well, next to Adventures in the Magic Kingdom.

Caitlin posted:

You shouldn't be amazed about Alien and Devil Crush, they're some of the best looking pinball games ever made and in 89 Alien Crush was practically a fuckin' revelation. It's still my favorite (yes I know Devil is objectively better but that's not the point).

Nothing wrong with Alien Crush, it's just that Devil is an incremental improvement. But being number one and two best pinball video games of the time is pretty good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
My favorite thing about Keith Courage is and always will be the "oh god we gotta un-anime this" backstory comic. http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/367/retro-scan-special-edition-keith-courage-in-alpha-zones-comic

hello son it is i, gundam dad. gundad

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 15, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hey TheRedEye/Frank, question coming in from the nerds over at SC3 - any particular reason for the Switch not being an available SKU for the Disney Afternoon Pack? I can only imagine it's because the tools you'd already built were used, and new dev costs for an emergent console weren't in the budget. That's my safe bet.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've also seen people asking about no Switch version... I sure wouldn't mind it, myself.

Captain Rufus posted:

But at launch/near launch honestly I'm thinking for the TG either Blazing Lasers, Dungeon Explorer, or Bomberman would have been superior choices. The latter 2 even showing off 5 player option.
I imagine the response to a Bomberman pack-in would've been like

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

al-azad posted:

There's a PS2 Inuyasha RPG and while it's mediocre by RPG standards it's pure fanservicey goodness that my younger sister hogged my console to play.

I just completed getting the four Inuyasha games that came to the west and can confirm that yes this is true. I can also tell you the PS1 fighting game is pretty alright, the PS2 arena brawler/fighter is crap and the five minutes of the DS RPG I test played were okay but they seem to have recycled much of the plot of the PS2 RPG. But right now my 12 year old self is giddy with joy and that's what counts.

Anybody ever play the Gundam PS2 games? I saw a lot of four on Ebay and didn't realized there were so many on that console. I tried one and couldn't hash it nor one of the crappier Robotech games. Omega Boost has ruined all other action mech games for me since they will never control that good.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hey TheRedEye/Frank, question coming in from the nerds over at SC3 - any particular reason for the Switch not being an available SKU for the Disney Afternoon Pack? I can only imagine it's because the tools you'd already built were used, and new dev costs for an emergent console weren't in the budget. That's my safe bet.

I can tell you he's probably already sick of being asked this because he had no say in what platforms it was being produced for, that's a Capcom decision.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I used to think Keith Courage was a decent game unfairly thrust into a system-seller role, but then I played it through. The goofy low-rent charm vanishes a few levels in, leaving just a repetitive side-scroller with overworld stages full of boring money-grinding and underworld stages full of cheap deaths that demand memorization. It's good for a laugh or two, but it's a crap game.

Speaking as someone who actually grew up playing the game on a TG16, you're wroooong

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

Speaking as someone who actually grew up playing the game on a TG16, you're wroooong

when d0s and I agree it's always a little twilight zone but we are both smart and attractive people (I might have made part of that up)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Caitlin posted:

I can tell you he's probably already sick of being asked this because he had no say in what platforms it was being produced for, that's a Capcom decision.

I assumed it was a Capcom call. I wasn't trying to fray nerves with the question, but was framing it with likely scenario instead of... emmm...

or

I have had friends that worked with Capcom's notoriously lovely third-party budgeting before, so I have no doubt that's the root cause.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to yell at you for it, I just saw him being frustrated on twitter about the deluge of questions about it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Speaking of cool things:

https://gamehistory.org/dooly-bravo-land/

Stuff like this makes me wonder what classic games we might have missed out on from regions that didn't have a presence in the US/EU/JP game scenes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to yell at you for it, I just saw him being frustrated on twitter about the deluge of questions about it.

NeoGAF mods had to threaten Switch port requesters with bans.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

NeoGAF mods had to threaten Switch port requesters with bans.
I mean, technically NeoGAF has rules against port-begging in general, so this isn't exactly a special case, is it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Anybody ever play the Gundam PS2 games? I saw a lot of four on Ebay and didn't realized there were so many on that console. I tried one and couldn't hash it nor one of the crappier Robotech games. Omega Boost has ruined all other action mech games for me since they will never control that good.

A lot of four doesn't begin to scratch the surface of the number of Gundam games on pretty much any platform post Atari 2600, especially when you're counting games where Gundams are part of an ensemble. The Wonderswan has more than four Gundam games.

Regarding PS2 games, the first Dynasty Warriors Gundam wasn't that great but they got the formula right for the second one, though by that point I think they were releasing the games also on then next gen platforms. The three Another Century Episode games are kind of neat. Of course pretty much all of Super Robot Wars released on the platform are worth playing...

I've got a copy of Federation Vs. Zeon that I got a while ago for about fifty cents that I should probably try out sometime...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I assumed it was a Capcom call. I wasn't trying to fray nerves with the question, but was framing it with likely scenario instead of... emmm...

or

I have had friends that worked with Capcom's notoriously lovely third-party budgeting before, so I have no doubt that's the root cause.

i mean, there's always the chance it gets announced for Switch later or gets released for it later on or whatever. the demand is probably there, but we'll just have to wait and see if that's enough

i'm just glad i can pick up Darkwing Duck, Ducktales 2, and Rescue Rangers 2 without spending obscene money. still have the original Ducktales and Rescue Rangers NES carts from back in the day luckily but the rest of that set I've never owned. rented Darkwing constantly as a kid, though. great spin on the Megaman formula

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I just completed getting the four Inuyasha games that came to the west and can confirm that yes this is true. I can also tell you the PS1 fighting game is pretty alright, the PS2 arena brawler/fighter is crap and the five minutes of the DS RPG I test played were okay but they seem to have recycled much of the plot of the PS2 RPG. But right now my 12 year old self is giddy with joy and that's what counts.

I played Journey to Jaboru when it came out, basically my first exposure to Gundam (I never got into Wing at its height). In hindsight it's interesting for having original animated cutscenes but I remember it playing like a worse Armored Core.

I like the looks of Dynasty Warriors Gundam but at the same time now that I'm getting into the series it comes off as feeling really cheap. I don't know how they handle it in other series but mobile suits in 0079 are walking nuclear bombs with three zakus being able to wipe out an entire base yet in this game you're just swiping through hundreds of them as they stand there doing jack poo poo. Not the property that should've gotten a Musou game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mace Bacon posted:

Has anyone played Blaster Master Zero on the Switch? It fixes basically all the problems the original game had. Who wants to play a game like that in one sitting for example? That and Bionic Commando expecting you to play it in one go.

Me! I think they watered it down a little too much but a lot of people will prefer this version, I'm sure.

I will recommend people buy the 3DS version if they're sticklers about pixel quality, the upscale on the Switch version is terrible.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I played the poo poo out of Altered Beast on my launch Genesis. It's a fine game and I thought it was quite amazing on a home console at the time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Altered Beast was fine for the time; if people want to dump on something, dump on the sequels that came out way later and have no excuse for being as awful as they are.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Mace Bacon posted:

Has anyone played Blaster Master Zero on the Switch? It fixes basically all the problems the original game had. Who wants to play a game like that in one sitting for example? That and Bionic Commando expecting you to play it in one go.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Me! I think they watered it down a little too much but a lot of people will prefer this version, I'm sure.

I will recommend people buy the 3DS version if they're sticklers about pixel quality, the upscale on the Switch version is terrible.

I played this on the Switch.

I don't think it was watered down - they fixed things that were obviously chunky even back then (top-down only bosses, hip-fire aiming leaning to the side with lower weapon totals, side areas without requisite payoff). The only thing that kinda makes me a little annoyed was the hamfisted plot for the "True Ending," which you get for being meticulous about getting everything. I smiled when I got to the Level 3 boss and had an actual honest-to-goodness fight using the Sophia 3!

I wished Jason still looked like Hello Kitty, but so it goes.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Oh yeah - I also played the everloving dogshit out of Altered Beast on my launch Genesis. But you probably already knew that. Because.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Altered Beast isn't all that good, but it's memorable. Greek werewolves, giant zombie dirt monsters, and RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE turned heads back in 1989, and that was what a pack-in needed to do.

Also, Alien Crush has better music than Devil's Crush. Or at least better bonus-stage music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sNDVEBxDI

d0s posted:

I think everyone who had a TurboGrafx enjoyed Keith Courage for a little while, just on the thrill of it being the first thing you played on your brand new system. Heck, I had short-lived fun with it when I got my TurboGrafx off eBay in the late 1990s. But after a stage or two, the novelty of gunhead dudes and Rygar-ish music and anime characters saying things like THIS IS ROCK ZONE wore off, and I started scanning auctions for a cheap Ninja Spirit or R-Type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I don't think it was watered down - they fixed things that were obviously chunky even back then (top-down only bosses, hip-fire aiming leaning to the side with lower weapon totals, side areas without requisite payoff). The only thing that kinda makes me a little annoyed was the hamfisted plot for the "True Ending," which you get for being meticulous about getting everything. I smiled when I got to the Level 3 boss and had an actual honest-to-goodness fight using the Sophia 3!

Those are all good changes, I was more referring to how you're basically told where to go and where to find most of the upgrades and how broken some of those upgrades are. It doesn't ruin the game but I really didn't expect it to be so easy.

• Locked thread