Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Gaspy Conana posted:

I like Gyro for fine tuning the aim, it's surprisingly nice. Haven't used it on Wii U but I'm suuuper digging it on Zelda.

I find I like the fine-tuning a lot more on the Switch. The Joycons and Pro controller are both a lot less awkward to move around compared to the Gamepad on the WiiU. Definitely looking forward to trying Splatoon 2's out, I didn't really enjoy the gyro controls in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Stick controls are just fine. Gyro is significantly better. M+KB is still far and away the best

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Yeah so called Walmart and they said the item was out of stock but that my order would be fulfilled once it came back in stock and to check back in a couple days. Not holding out hope and will keep looking elsewhere.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

Gyro feels more natural than mouse or stick.

Mouse feels... easy? cheap-o. Unengaging. Yup, there it is, click. Got it. It doesn't feel like you are connected or like physical skill is involved. I know it's more reliable and top-tier competitive and whatnot, but I'm talking about feel and fun, and it's very subjective and experiential.

Are you serious because lol.

The Bloop posted:

I want my exciting game box plugged into my bigass TV and with a different input device from doing taxes.

So plug in your computer to your TV and connect your Switch Pro controller to it?

I don't think anyone is going to convince the guy with the Splatoon av that Gyro isn't the best but whatever.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

actually this segues into a question: how many people just had a really poo poo time with the gyro controls in botw

I didn't have trouble with them but certain situations they weren't that great, like trying to nail a charging Lynel's eye is almost impossible and not even worth trying to do. I also don't like that my wrists will get into awkward positions if I use the Gyro too much and I have to contort them to hit something. Overall it's not bad for most situations though.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I buy the eshop version of D5 off the JP store will I be able to play it in English? Because I know the cart version switches to English on US switches.

Yeah, this works.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

actually this segues into a question: how many people just had a really poo poo time with the gyro controls in botw

it felt like a step backwards from how well it worked on the 3DS zelda remakes and I'm not sure if it's "smaller, less sensitive gyro because joycon size" or if the right joycon with my system was also hosed, just not in the same way as the left

The gyro works fine but for some damned reason Zelda "clicks" gyro movement to a minimum amount. You can see this best when zoomed in with the state,that any movement jumps like it's on a grid not moving pixel by pixel. At normal camera it feels right. Splatoon on the Wii u didn't do this far as I can tell.

Zelda resetting gyro on stick use explains some things. Splatoon let's you put both inputs in at the same time, even to the point of conflicting ones will keep you still.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2017

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

what i don't get about the m+kb/joystick debate is that on either one you are , with few exceptions, playing with people who have the same control method. like, it's fine.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

it felt like a step backwards from how well it worked on the 3DS zelda remakes and I'm not sure if it's "smaller, less sensitive gyro because joycon size" or if the right joycon with my system was also hosed, just not in the same way as the left

I had to turn it off because it keeps drifting to the left, even while using my pro controller.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

I didn't have trouble with them but certain situations they weren't that great, like trying to nail a charging Lynel's eye is almost impossible and not even worth trying to do. I also don't like that my wrists will get into awkward positions if I use the Gyro too much and I have to contort them to hit something. Overall it's not bad for most situations though.

Okay I might have to find a replacement then. I was doing one of those "apparatus" shrines that involved full rotation, all-axis movement and I was about ready to throw the thing across the room because it just did not want to respond properly. I also turned off motion controls because joystick aiming was slower but at least it wasn't randomly twitching off-target.

Hungry Computer posted:

I had to turn it off because it keeps drifting to the left, even while using my pro controller.

That too. I'd be holding things steady and my magnet/ice runes kept drifting "up".

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Earth Table posted:

what i don't get about the m+kb/joystick debate is that on either one you are , with few exceptions, playing with people who have the same control method. like, it's fine.

If everybody had to play with their feet it'd be a level playing field and I still wouldn't find it fun to play

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Earth Table posted:

Console shooter people hate being reminded their games have to fix their aim.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Lemming posted:

If everybody had to play with their feet it'd be a level playing field and I still wouldn't find it fun to play

but why would the foot fetish console players be a problem? if i had no issue playing titanfall with babby thumbsticks on my ps4 i dont think i got an "inferior" multiplayer experience.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

Console shooter people hate being reminded their games have to fix their aim.

I've just been reminded of this and I'm...fine?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Earth Table posted:

but why would the foot fetish console players be a problem? if i had no issue playing titanfall with babby thumbsticks on my ps4 i dont think i got an "inferior" multiplayer experience.

They wouldn't be a problem from a game balance point of view, it's a problem from a "I want to shoot that guy in the head, but since I'm not using a 1:1 input aiming method I have to visually calibrate where I'm going to shoot, which is imprecise enough that the game needs to do the fine aiming for me, which I find less fun than using a more accurate input method"

If you find using joysticks fine (as many millions of people do) then that's fine too

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone made a pad-con.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkal5I0_d-c
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5zlbo2/my_dpad_joycon/

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Lemming posted:

They wouldn't be a problem from a game balance point of view, it's a problem from a "I want to shoot that guy in the head, but since I'm not using a 1:1 input aiming method I have to visually calibrate where I'm going to shoot, which is imprecise enough that the game needs to do the fine aiming for me, which I find less fun than using a more accurate input method"

If you find using joysticks fine (as many millions of people do) then that's fine too

So it's almost like this entire debate is stupid, then.

Like every other time it comes up..

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Gods greatest aiming method is lightguns and you're a tool if you disagree

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd probably buy Overwatch on Switch

Overswitch

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I'm thinking about buying afterbirth for a game to play on the go, but I'm not sure it's the right move as this would be my first time playing and all that I've read about it says that it's too bloated for new players. Does anyone have any experience with the game? I don't really trust most gaming journalists so I don't know what to think. I've wanted to get into it but it's not the type of game I want to sit on my PC and play, but a portable version sounds great.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

this is the truth.

would light gun style games work with the switch's gyro controls? the wii had a wealth of fun rear end arcade shooters.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Earth Table posted:

this is the truth.

would light gun style games work with the switch's gyro controls? the wii had a wealth of fun rear end arcade shooters.
The right joycon has an infrared thing which could double as a light gun?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Earth Table posted:

The sticking point is generally when joystick preferers think that kbam people are saying they aren't allowed to like using joysticks and kbam preferers think that joystick people are saying they're equally precise and it's just about what you like better, then nobody can come to any agreement because everybody's arguing something different

The core is a misunderstanding I think and then naturally tribalism and elitism and all that pops out of it so it gets stupid real fast

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

Actually it's VR hand tracked controllers

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

The right joycon has an infrared thing which could double as a light gun?

Hmmm. I genuinely have no idea if it would work with modern televisions. But aiming is pretty much perfectly fine in BOTW without the use of a sensor bar to line up the controller with, so I bet you could get something going.

The world needs more game systems that have House of the Dead 2 ports, is I guess what I'm trying to say here.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Earth Table posted:

No, we need more hot takes from people who are so invested in their preferred platform that they cannot help but poo poo furiously all over other control methods/consoles that more people are using these days anyway.

Earth Table posted:

this is the truth.

I miss light gun games more than most, and I don't think the switch could really make something like Time Crisis 1-3 work. No console really can, short of giving me an actual bright orangepink plastic gun in my hands that I wave like a jackass at my screen. Gyro aim with the joycons wouldn't come remotely close to GunCon Perfection.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

I miss light gun games more than most, and I don't think the switch could really make something like Time Crisis 1-3 work. No console really can, short of giving me an actual bright orangepink plastic gun in my hands that I wave like a jackass at my screen. Gyro aim with the joycons wouldn't come remotely close to GunCon Perfection.

The feedback of the Time Crisis guns is some of the coolest poo poo in gaming ever. You're right, no proper substitute for that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5C1Pk4qu0&t=153s

:pcgaming:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck VR.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

sleepness posted:

I'm thinking about buying afterbirth for a game to play on the go, but I'm not sure it's the right move as this would be my first time playing and all that I've read about it says that it's too bloated for new players. Does anyone have any experience with the game? I don't really trust most gaming journalists so I don't know what to think. I've wanted to get into it but it's not the type of game I want to sit on my PC and play, but a portable version sounds great.

How patient are you? There's going to be a long learning curve while you learn what everything does and what the rules of the game are. But I've got 1800 hours in the PC version so I think it's fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter XX will have a system where you can wear whatever armor you want but get stats from different armor, essentially giving you a fashion system. GOAT

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh good it's about time MH got a Vanity system. I've played a bunch of games with it but always hated that Monster Hunter never adopted it widespread.

So when's the Switch version.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck VR.

I actually just use it for games and stuff

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Policenaut posted:

Oh good it's about time MH got a Vanity system. I've played a bunch of games with it but always hated that Monster Hunter never adopted it widespread.

So when's the Switch version.

lol

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of light guns, I wish they would make another console Point Blank. That poo poo was awesome. I still have the DS version somewhere in my house, but that wasn't as fun as the guns that came with the PlayStation version.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Light gun games could work on the Switch. The Wiimote plus and games that used it actually didn't use the IR camera for aiming but the gyro sensor instead, the IR camera was only used for starting calibration. The Joycons have a more advanced gyro sensor than the wiimote plus had so really all that would need to be done is have the player point the remote to the center of the screen and press a button for starting calibration and go from there. It might even be more comfortable as it wouldn't need to actually see the screen so you could actually play light gun games off center from your TV as well

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I broke down and bought an Amiibo. A bokoblin, it's all Target had. I really like the ugly bastard.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Beastie posted:

I broke down and bought an Amiibo. A bokoblin, it's all Target had. I really like the ugly bastard.

I haven't bought an amiibo since I gave in and got Ganondorf but I was sorely tempted by that giant spider robot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would instantly buy an amiibo of the small guardian with 1 sword

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Is there a Prince Sidon amiibo yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beastie posted:

Doesn't it only give bokoblin weapons? I somehow found a Smash Link amiibo for 10 dollars on Amazon and for some reason a OoT Link for 1 cent on Amazon as well.

• Locked thread