Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

Most people aren't getting poo poo hammered at 10AM. Teachers or not. That being said he isn't drinking up a storm he is taking a sip of a rolling rock every time someone subscribes (and he has 11 subscribers), he isn't getting smashed.

Well good for him. He definitely gets pretty sloshed on his evening streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Well good for him. He definitely gets pretty sloshed on his evening streams.

Did you see Matt Sperling's drunk stream? That definitely was highly entertaining with him challenging other pros to Momir or other weird stuff and losing and drunkenly talking all sorts of poo poo

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a popular card in a popular tribe that sees fringe play in Chord decks. I'm not surprised at all its $20.

Archangel of Thune and Kalonian Hydra were expensive the entire time they were in Standard despite never being actively good in anything I recall.

More notable is that it looked like it was gonna stick at 80 immediately after the unbanning

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It seems like for the last little while the only expensive standard cards have been Mythics. I think the only Standard rare over $10 right now is Walking Ballista. Is that normally, or is there more reliance on mythics in standard decks right now than usual?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hangarback was pushing $20, Mutavault was over $30, Kolaghan's Command was in the low teens. Thoughtseize was in the teens. Fetches were obviously in the teens or more. Most of them had some non-standard demand but were mostly inflated from standard demand. Mutavault was around $20 before it was reprinted and was close to $40 for a while after, IIRC. It's not very common but it does happen.

Edit: I think Courser was over $10 for a while too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Caryatid was a dumb rare price during KTK standard for a while too. Blurgh I spent so much on cards that standard but at least I played a ton.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Copter was getting up there pre-banning, wasn't it?

It's too bad every standard deck relies on 4-ofs of expensive mythics, cause rares are hella cheap.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Entropic posted:

Copter was getting up there pre-banning, wasn't it?

It's too bad every standard deck relies on 4-ofs of expensive mythics, cause rares are hella cheap.

If nobody used mythics the rares wouldn't be cheap.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Courser of Kruphix, Rabblemaster, Boros Reckoner just off the top of my head were consistently expensive for their entire standard rein except near the end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rabblemaster was disgustingly cheap until people figured out it was actually good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jabor posted:

Rabblemaster was disgustingly cheap until people figured out it was actually good.

.25 cent bulk rare into 4 dollar playable into 30 dollar aggro staple of it's standard season.

Nightveil Spectre and Desecration Demon did this as well.

Edit:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 16, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Nightveil Spectre and Desecration Demon did this as well.

Nightveil was a pretty unique case because it could have gone in either top deck at the time (Mono-B or Mono-U Devotion), though I can't remember if both actually ran it.

But I definitely picked four up at a dollar each for non-Standard reasons, then offloaded them on our resident grognard for $40 of useless EDH crap. One of my finer mtgfinance moments.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a popular card in a popular tribe that sees fringe play in Chord decks. I'm not surprised at all its $20.

Archangel of Thune and Kalonian Hydra were expensive the entire time they were in Standard despite never being actively good in anything I recall.

i distinctly remember archangel being good in control mirrors post-sideboard, cuz i remember someone doing that in the finals of a pro tour or something

vague memory of it anyway, i probably have some detail wrong

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Both decks played it. Even with that as a buy-a-box promo (which was roundly denounced on launch because Supreme Verdict was obviously so much better) the price was over 10 for a while.

The transition from RTR to THS is probably the best seeding for the next block they have ever done. Those hybrid mana costs worked in so many decks. Devotion was a great mechanic and I hope it is already back for the Mummy Gods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GoutPatrol posted:

The transition from RTR to THS is probably the best seeding for the next block they have ever done. Those hybrid mana costs worked in so many decks. Devotion was a great mechanic and I hope it is already back for the Mummy Gods.

They probably want to differentiate their God-centric planes as much as they can. I expect minimal mechanical overlap.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

They probably want to differentiate their God-centric planes as much as they can. I expect minimal mechanical overlap.

So maybe Gods but not devotion? Maybe completely mechanically distinct?

From the fluff so far I wondered if Heroic might come back.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

So you're saying Amonkhet will have an Enchantments Matter theme?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Dehtraen posted:

Most people aren't getting poo poo hammered at 10AM. Teachers or not. That being said he isn't drinking up a storm he is taking a sip of a rolling rock every time someone subscribes (and he has 11 subscribers), he isn't getting smashed.

IDK, I work in education and that is 100% a reason to day drink if you have a day off.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So maybe Gods but not devotion? Maybe completely mechanically distinct?

From the fluff so far I wondered if Heroic might come back.

I really want Egyptian God Cards, in order to make 12 year old me really happy.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Lottery of Babylon posted:

So you're saying Amonkhet will have an Enchantments Matter theme?
You heard it here folks, confirmed by Wizards. Amonkhet is going to be Return to Theros, and Yawgmoth is the next member of the Gatewatch.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

IDK, I work in education and that is 100% a reason to day drink if you have a day off.

I really want Egyptian God Cards, in order to make 12 year old me really happy.

I want them to be as ridiculous as Obelisk, Ra, and Slifer

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maro is already a card though, so they'd have to pick someone else if they wanted to go full Slifer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Didn't Archangel of Thune + Nyx-fleece Ram win the finals of a GP or PT with sheep damage? :allears:

I think it was Ivan Floch.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Entropic posted:

Didn't Archangel of Thune + Nyx-fleece Ram win the finals of a GP or PT with sheep damage? :allears:

I think it was Ivan Floch.

Yes sir

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ivan Floch would find a way to win with the durdliest creature in magic history.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yo check your PMs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh yeah it was definitely Floch because there were "Floch of Sheep" puns everywhere for a few days. :haw:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ShaneB posted:

Yo check your PMs.

Yeah, can you possibly hold till Friday? I need to clear a few things quick.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Yeah, can you possibly hold till Friday? I need to clear a few things quick.

Sure.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Entropic posted:

Oh yeah it was definitely Floch because there were "Floch of Sheep" puns everywhere for a few days. :haw:

Even better was the who's the bleatdown jokes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I remember when Pernicious Deed was 150 tickets on MTGO, AMA

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Re: $5 Fatal Push - I've heard (and have no reason to disbelieve, given all the other tomfuckery) that Push is a U1, which honestly makes sense when I consider the 15 each Ralliers, Herbalists etc I've opened in the same number of packs which have yielded to date 3 Pushes. I have 2 more Greenwheel Liberator than Fatal Push. No, I know, anecdata, but has anyone else noticed Push at mythic (see also Lightning Bolt, Magic 2010)?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tubgoat posted:

Re: $5 Fatal Push - I've heard (and have no reason to disbelieve, given all the other tomfuckery) that Push is a U1, which honestly makes sense when I consider the 15 each Ralliers, Herbalists etc I've opened in the same number of packs which have yielded to date 3 Pushes. I have 2 more Greenwheel Liberator than Fatal Push. No, I know, anecdata, but has anyone else noticed Push at mythic (see also Lightning Bolt, Magic 2010)?

mtgsalvation or is this a fresh source?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tarfire seeing play solely because it enables Traverse is loving hilarious to me. Tribal was such a trainwreck and I love it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pontius Pilate posted:

mtgsalvation or is this a fresh source?

A fellow in the Minneapolis competitive scene who appears to have a reasonably good grasp of goings on.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Shortest Path posted:

Tarfire seeing play solely because it enables Traverse is loving hilarious to me. Tribal was such a trainwreck and I love it.

And goyf growth.

Was tribal really a trainwreck? It still feels wrong to me that cards like goblin grenade and dragon fodder aren't of the goblin type. It's not as if any tribal cards have been broken let alone because of their type.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

And goyf growth.

Was tribal really a trainwreck? It still feels wrong to me that cards like goblin grenade and dragon fodder aren't of the goblin type. It's not as if any tribal cards have been broken let alone because of their type.

being able to find goblin grenade off goblin matron / etc would be really good

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sigma-X posted:

being able to find goblin grenade off goblin matron / etc would be really good

Good enough to play Goblin Grenade in a tournament whose payout is in money?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pontius Pilate posted:

And goyf growth.

I seem to recall Bitterblossom enabling Spellstutter Sprite shenanigans and being something to champion with Mistbind Clique when you need to stop the pain.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

And goyf growth.

That was why tribal was kind of a trainwreck. It worked really well within the context of Lorwyn block but then Wizards realized it was something they couldn't consistently do past that without loving up a lot of things because tons of old cards would have to either be heavily errataed or be left in the dust of not being future-proofed, so they dropped it entirely apart from the occasional Eldrazi spell. We'll probably see it come back if we do a return to Lorwyn block, but who knows.

Tubgoat posted:

Good enough to play Goblin Grenade in a tournament whose payout is in money?

As a one-of when you have at least four cards in the deck that can tutor it? Absolutely.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Tribal's original sin was that it was a type and not a supertype :colbert:

• Locked thread