Suraht
Feb 12, 2014

Strontium posted:

A dating service provider that has you sit down with an agent to create your profile? Is this a service that exists outside a baby boomer's mind? That is so quaint.

Actually, this is a real life thing. The only difference between that one and the one I've seen is that the real-life one does all the setting up of profiles and arranging dates over the phone instead of in-person.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Darthemed posted:

You have way too much faith in the ability of everyone to get the jokes without translation.
I stopped reading Tracksuit ages ago because it was mostly incomprehensible.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not Queen of the thread
Actually I think you might be.

.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't even know why the original even has words to translate since it's a very obvious visual gag.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

... Well gently caress.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

And since folks are experimenting with their offerings and I want to do penance for drowning this thread in Jam Esallen, here's Understanding Chaos. I liked the art.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 15, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

What the hell is going on with JJJ's face in that last strip? :gonk:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I can't wait to see what interrupts them and prevents Mark from taking Rusty fishing this time!

Haifisch posted:

1999 Spider-Man

Those two women are great. If Jonah's being an arsehole, they're shocked because they always thought he was really nice underneath. If he's being nice then they're shocked because they always thought he was an arsehole. It's like they're competing to be the most wrong at all times.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Tiggum posted:

I can't wait to see what interrupts them and prevents Mark from taking Rusty fishing this time!

My guess is that it'll be something along the lines of the beetlejuice voodoo headshrinking that's kicking off in that last panel.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Could someone just gently caress this two idiots already?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Jan. 19, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Jan. 19, 1985)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

This is me

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Actually I think you might be.

.
Man, I gotta up my game. As it is I'm at best I'm like prince of this thread.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Wow, I'm glad the writer used the third panel there to set up the punchline. Otherwise I never would have understood how he got on the floor.

Tinkersons is the comic equivalent of those MST3k-level movies where they have a two minute scene of a car parking so you understand how people got to the next scene.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tinkersons is the comic equivalent of those MST3k-level movies where they have a two minute scene of a car parking so you understand how people got to the next scene.

Tinkersons is the comic equivalent of a poop coming out of my butt.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Speaking of which, I guess Mahood ran out of jokes about Karl's oil diarrhea already.

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 15, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tinkersons is the comic equivalent of those MST3k-level movies where they have a two minute scene of a car parking so you understand how people got to the next scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onWNxvSLVk

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (April, 1971, click for big)

Some context

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

This is me, right here. I do that. And I know it's dumb even as it happens and I can't stop it.

This is also me.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

sweeperbravo posted:

Somehow I quoted the wrong image while quoting the correct title- gonna fix my post.
edit: You trickster, it's because you had TDIET listed under "Mopsy" :cop:
Whoops! You're right. That's on me.

Thanks for this - I had never heard of this.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Posted to keep things complete, but it's kind of illegible. Here's another:

And He Did. (March, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (June, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (June, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (June, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (November, 1940)

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine#Plot
Yvette Memieux:

hubba hubba.

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

Such a jerkhead.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 12, 1952)

Nancy (February 29, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (October 29, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (November 27, 1923)

Lil' Abner (July 26, 1937)

Barney Google (November 28, 1922)

Alley Oop (February 27, 1934)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What kid today isn't into late-80s/early-90s syndicated television shows?
From what I've found a year on Venus is 19 days longer than a day. Also another a fun fact, it rotates in the opposite direction of most of the other planets.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"No, of course not. Nobody likes you. Go eat worms."

Secret Agent X-9

That whole "undercover" thing seems to be going well so far.

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Hail Satan!

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
If they swap clothes, they'll look pretty close to Dustin's parents.

Also Zits was an answer to a question at a bar trivia I went to last week. Thanks, people who post Zits.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Just give him a cigarette.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Hail Satan!

Random trivia: Fritzy Ritz started running the same year Alexander Graham Bell died. Let's ignore the whole Bell-Gray debaucle for the moment, and consider that telephones were in practical use by the 1880s.

Where am I going with this? gently caress knows, I'm tired, it's been a long day, so in short, gently caress Guy Gilchrist.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Oh no, not ranting about the old days!" is real loving rich coming from the guy who keeps having small children reference artists like Elvis and Aretha Franklin.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

There's gotta be a good story behind that law.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I like the stealth joke in the third panel.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

Random trivia: Fritzy Ritz started running the same year Alexander Graham Bell died. Let's ignore the whole Bell-Gray debaucle for the moment, and consider that telephones were in practical use by the 1880s.

Where am I going with this? gently caress knows, I'm tired, it's been a long day, so in short, gently caress Guy Gilchrist.

And how many times have comics like Out Our Way, The Gay Thirties and TDIET run strips about people wanting to use the phone while someone else ties it up for hours? Because that's a setup that wouldn't exist if a lot of people couldn't relate to it.

Kennel posted:

There's gotta be a good story behind that law.

Something about blocking a driver's sight lines is my guess.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine#Plot
Yvette Memieux:

hubba hubba.

The trailer is pretty fun. They don't make them like that any more. Catch the reference to another HG Wells story!

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Zippy the Pinhead

Wumbo

Big Nate

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Curtis

Herb and Jamal

Get Fuzzy

Wallace the Brave

Lio

Pluggers

Harley

Last Kiss

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

It strikes me that Mr Tweedy is just Ziggy with hair and trousers.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

WuMo is contaminated waste, and its continuing publication is proof that humanity's self-inflicted end is both inevitable and deserved.

I mean, Working Daze, 9 Chickweed Lane, though. Super Fun Pak's kind of poo poo too because it doesn't seem to have jokes beyond pissing on the concept of comic strips. "Just Post" is the rule for better or for worse.

Meantime I still haven't seen a Korean comic I haven't LOVED and I miss the hard-to-parse madness of Honey Come Chatka.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SuperKlaus posted:

I mean, Working Daze, 9 Chickweed Lane, though. Super Fun Pak's kind of poo poo too because it doesn't seem to have jokes beyond pissing on the concept of comic strips. "Just Post" is the rule for better or for worse.

WuMo is the nadir of lazy wackiness.

wikipedia posted:

For a period, humans portrayed in the comic wore no clothes. According to the comic's website, Morgenthaler "was fed up with the tiresome meticulousness of drawing clothes on people so he just stopped doing it." Sometimes, when the situation called for a specific outfit to denote a specific role, humans would appear clothed. Lately characters have all started to appear fully clothed, and older comics have been edited to add clothes.

Half the punchlines back then were "a weeeeird penis!!" fyi:

Just the dumbest, most basic "what if the Terminator . . . had gross balls??" poo poo. They're more PG-rated now that they're globally syndicated, but are still incapable of spending more than two seconds to come up with a joke. WuMo is the best argument for the reality of Hell, and Satan.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

SuperKlaus posted:

ISuper Fun Pak's kind of poo poo too

/Adds SuperKlaus to "THE BAD LIST"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's important to feel good about yourself, which everyone in this strip does. Ballard Street.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"what if the Terminator . . . had gross balls??"

Now I want to see this comic

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Now I want to see this comic

Cool, all this shitbox wumo talk means I get to post my edit again!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

Now I want to see this comic

That's the point; you don't have to. You've already gotten more out of it than WuMo could give.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cool, all this shitbox wumo talk means I get to post my edit again!

Please don't remind me that Ginger Meggs exists.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wumo is so bad that even depressed high school me who really liked to read comics on the internet recognized it as being loving TERRIBLE.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's "Wumo", not "Wumbo".

  • Locked thread