Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

So if Niki is damned if she does, damned if she doesn't, we should blame BLM for forcing her into a bad position? Totally unrelated, remember when BLM kicked off a Trump presidency? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BnbwUT7lBg

BLM didn't force her into a bad position, so no. The only people who are having a problem with this are the ones looking to make hay from SJW PC MADNESS HAS GONE TOO FAR!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

THC posted:

There are a couple people itt who are totally uninvolved in real-life organizing and activism, but they have all kinds of Very True And Real Information about what those meetings and organizations are actually like. Which are totally unlike my experiences, but coincidentally very similar to the observations of Toronto-based pundits who are tired of all the political correctness.

Insofar as you can do it without doxxing yourself you should post more often about the real-life organizing and activism you participate in.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

BLM didn't force her into a bad position, so no. The only people who are having a problem with this are the ones looking to make hay from SJW PC MADNESS HAS GONE TOO FAR!!!!!!

Yeah man, if Niki Ashton is going to start throwing red pills in the air, jj is going to point people in her direction.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Helsing posted:

I'm not trying to make it a bigger deal than it is, cause we can probably agree it's basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. But I'd argue there's a difference between getting called an idiot and actually demonstrably being one. Suggesting that quoting a Beyonce lyric for your campaign launch is an act of "cultural appropriation" seems to fall really firmly into the later category.

Agreed. It's right up there with Niki Ashton's 'gendered lens' rhetoric during elbowgate.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Helsing posted:

Insofar as you can do it without doxxing yourself you should post more often about the real-life organizing and activism you participate in.

He's too busy dropping sarcastic one-liners for the 'more progressive than thou' cred. Seriously, it's like 98% of his posts.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really glad the left wing party is enjoying such great rhetoric as we "we probably shouldn't even nominate a woman because most people wouldn't vote for one" and "The problem is that most leftists stand around shutting each other down, unlike me, the guy who is using this tweet as a reason I can't vote for Ashton"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

M.McFly posted:

Agreed. It's right up there with Niki Ashton's 'gendered lens' rhetoric during elbowgate.

That was way more ridiculous than this.

Rachel Notley for NDP leader, imho. She's the only NDPer I've ever not disliked.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

M.McFly posted:

He's too busy dropping sarcastic one-liners for the 'more progressive than thou' cred. Seriously, it's like 98% of his posts.

The custom title has never been more accurate than for THC, though why one feels the need to incessantly virtue signal to anonymous shitposters on this dead gay comedy forum is beyond me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"I'm really sick of all these centrist politicians getting elected by paying lip service to left wing ideas without really believing in them, it would be great if we had a genuinely left wing person, not the one we actually already have running though, she's not electable and should tone down herself down so that people like her more."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Rachel Notley for NDP leader, imho. She's the only NDPer I've ever not disliked.

Nathan Cullen?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PT6A posted:

They're both silly, but this is a far smaller issue imo.

E: thought you were saying this is more ridiculous, my bad

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 16, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

"The problem is that most leftists stand around shutting each other down, unlike me, the guy who is using this tweet as a reason I can't vote for Ashton"

On the other hand, speaking as if academics and people who've bought into critical theory are the only ones ever listening is counterproductive.

Rime posted:

The custom title has never been more accurate than for THC, though why one feels the need to incessantly virtue signal to anonymous shitposters on this dead gay comedy forum is beyond me.

You're loving kidding me right

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm definitely voting Conservative from here on out, the pathetic infighting left in this country deserves everything they fuckin get, I don't give a gently caress what happens to any of these idiots.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

PT6A posted:

True, and to be fair taking the tweet down was probably done by her staff, not Ashton herself. In the grand scheme of things it's not actually a big deal.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ChairMaster posted:

I'm definitely voting Conservative from here on out, the pathetic infighting left in this country deserves everything they fuckin get, I don't give a gently caress what happens to any of these idiots.

The Communist Party is the only party in Canada not filled to the brim with reprobates. I endorse them wholeheartedly. :ussr:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

On the other hand, speaking as if academics and people who've bought into critical theory are the only ones ever listening is counterproductive.

I mean fair enough, being measured is one thing, but I think it's also enormously clear that people want their leaders to be passionate about something and there's a growing weariness with the typical vagueness politicians feel the need to put on.

I think comparing everything to the american election is unnecessary but what I've drawn from it is that the camps which have an energetic and rallying message were doing a lot better than the ones where the prominent themes were like "this is the way it's done" or "we have to do this even if we don't like it"

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

PT6A posted:

I would be fine with this, honestly. I'm not sure I like her more than Cullen, but at least she would be immune to the usual 'The NDP is incapable of governing, they lack experience!' bullshit the Cons and Libs trot out every single election.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not too familiar with Notley but don't conservatives dislike her a lot because they feel she runs Alberta poorly?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

AlouetteNR posted:

I would be fine with this, honestly. I'm not sure I like her more than Cullen, but at least she would be immune to the usual 'The NDP is incapable of governing, they lack experience!' bullshit the Cons and Libs trot out every single election.
Counterpoint: anything negative that happens in Alberta from 2015-2019 will serve as proof that the NDP is incapable of governing.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I like Notley too, she's not afraid to call out stupidity when she sees it especially Leap.

quote:

Alberta’s premier has some choice words for a new NDP policy document that made waves at the party’s national convention last weekend in Edmonton.

Among them: naïve, ill-considered and tone-deaf.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Madly trying to ship dilbit to China at any cost is very smart & good

Helsing posted:

Probably the most lol thing is Gays Against Gentrification (GAG) which recently picketed a new women's library because they're SWERFs and TERFs. I was mercifully not involved in this as a job change has cut down my spare time but it's been fun to watch

It generally isn't interesting enough to post about but I've certainly never seen the purity tests and ideological struggle sessions that happen online and are taken by some people to represent real life.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 16, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean fair enough, being measured is one thing, but I think it's also enormously clear that people want their leaders to be passionate about something and there's a growing weariness with the typical vagueness politicians feel the need to put on.

I think comparing everything to the american election is unnecessary but what I've drawn from it is that the camps which have an energetic and rallying message were doing a lot better than the ones where the prominent themes were like "this is the way it's done" or "we have to do this even if we don't like it"

No, being passionate is absolutely fine and in fact necessary, but I think Bernie Sanders style populism wins more votes. Like I said, critical race theory should be the basis for social policy but it needs to be interpreted in an easy to understand, populist way for the masses, like it or not. Otherwise to the average person it sounds like petty gobbledygook.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 16, 2017

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

THC posted:

Counterpoint: anything negative that happens in Alberta from 2015-2019 will serve as proof that the NDP is incapable of governing.

It'll prove that they are bad at it, not incapable. That just puts them on a label playing field with everyone else. But point taken, once Exxon and the rest of the oilsands investments leaving tanks Alberta, it'll be harder to hold her up as proof the NDP can succeed as political leaders.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

No, being passionate is absolutely fine and in fact necessary, but I think Bernie Sanders style populism wins more votes. Like I said, critical race theory should be the basis for social policy but it needs to be interpreted in an easy to understand, populist way for the masses, like it or not. Otherwise to the average person it sounds like petty gobbledygook.

I agree with that, but I don't think the conclusion of it really interferes with what I was saying before.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

THC posted:

It generally isn't interesting enough to post about but I've certainly never seen the purity tests and ideological struggle sessions that happen online and are taken by some people to represent real life.

You weren't there for Occupy then, man. That shitshow of mental illness is where I started to realize that the left was trending towards oblivion.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

On the other hand, Occupy Vancouver achieved something nobody had achieved before: got the news to care about a homeless woman's drug overdose.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 16, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rime posted:

You weren't there for Occupy then, man. That shitshow of mental illness is where I started to realize that the left was trending towards oblivion.

I wouldn't call Justine Tunney any part of the left.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm not too familiar with Notley but don't conservatives dislike her a lot because they feel she runs Alberta poorly?

Actual conservatives hate her because she's effectively implementing an agenda that - in relative terms - is vastly more progressive than anything this province has seen in 50 years. You know, radical progressive policies like funding for schools, farm safety standards, and <shudder> tax brackets.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

flakeloaf posted:

I don't understand why you hate Monmouth Executive Airport.

Well I'm concerned with maintaining access by renters in the face of Wall Aviation's money grab.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm toxxing myself to vote for whatever dipshit the BC liberals are running in Mt pleasant because gently caress all of you. You all loving deserve the regressive loving bullshit and corruption Christy Clark has the loving nerve to commit.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

I'm toxxing myself to vote for whatever dipshit the BC liberals are running in Mt pleasant because gently caress all of you. You all loving deserve the regressive loving bullshit and corruption Christy Clark has the loving nerve to commit.

some of us don't live in BC you know

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah I totally care about southern Ontario or the loving prairies

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I signed your candidate's nomination papers. Her signature issue is tech startups. Your favourite :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
If people don't know what words mean they can look them the gently caress up.

PittTheElder posted:

Actual conservatives hate her because she's effectively implementing an agenda that - in relative terms - is vastly more progressive than anything this province has seen in 50 years. You know, radical progressive policies like funding for schools, farm safety standards, and <shudder> tax brackets.

Notley gets lifetime praise from me if they go ahead with permanent daylight saving time.

Never thought of myself as a single issue voter but if somebody ran on no more time changes...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Which would you prefer running or setting up government it:

1) Accenture, IBM cgi CSC wipro Infosys etc
2) some loving tech bros

Choose wisely lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah can we seriously just launch the people responsible for daylight savings into the sun which they seem so obsessed with?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

pokeyman posted:

If people don't know what words mean they can look them the gently caress up.

People are dumb. Saying "white privilege" got me "WELL WHERE'S MY PORSCHE THEN!?" so many times but stating what that means without the loaded term got agreement.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This thread loves to jerk each other off about how progressive they are, but when something comes up that slightly challenges a traditional way of thinking you all pile on it like a bunch of angry conservative Facebook posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Rime posted:

I did a news piece on Occupy Toronto, many moons ago. I went in expecting it to be a bit weird, but hopefully there'd be some interesting people with political views to interview. Instead, what I got was all the usual stereotypes; teens who had no idea what the gently caress they were even protesting for ("to raise awareness" was a common refrain, but no-one seemed to know what they wanted people to be aware of), stoners, and one absolutely batshit dude in a bathrobe who was probably in his late 40s.

Bathrobe dude seemed to love the hell out of the attention and proceeded to babble conspiracy theories in this aggressively friendly manner until he picked up a bongo and started to dance in circles. He said there was going to be a parade, and apparently one had been organized, but it was all of nine people, five of whom were police officers there to make sure no-one did anything stupid. By the time we'd wrapped up, about two hours later, bathrobe dude was just coming back, still dancing in circles and beating the hell out of his bongos, but now all by himself, followed by five very tired-looking cops.

There was one really nice lady there but she didn't have much to tell us. She just gave off this sensation of being tough as coffin nails but still somehow incredibly friendly, despite clearly having been through some poo poo. I wish we'd gotten more footage of her.

Occupy was just sad.