Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Basic Chunnel posted:

This doesn't wash. To my players, compulsion is compulsion - anything that's going to meaningfully cause them to completely sit out control over their own character goes down the same way at the table. It's simply not any fun. That's why I don't use dominate unless it's, like, turning a PC into an NPC permanently to let the player roll a new character.
Then that's your players. Most people have an understanding that whatever mind control magic there is will be temporary or otherwise highly limited in scope, which makes it vastly more palatable than "this dude got more successes on his persuasion roll, now you're a republican" because that's ridiculous and again, some things in a person will not change just from one person being very mundanely eloquent. That's ignoring the obvious "mind control doesn't mean you sit out" because that should be plain to anyone who has played more than one session. But you say this, then follow up with

Basic Chunnel posted:

That said, if you're not into roleplaying the slow erasure of normal life and happiness from memory, or entropic decay of perspective leading to madness and death, you probably shouldn't be playing WoD / CoD. You should be playing a game more conducive to heroism, grim or otherwise.
So your players can't handle any kind of compulsion magic, but you expect anyone who doesn't like being forced into playing a forgone conclusion to quit playing entirely? What? Let's ignore the fact that if you really think that the only way you can play WoD is "clinical depression: the game" (because that is a really embarrassingly poor understanding of both the game and its actual themes) you should be the one quitting. If you really believe that the only ways to play are either "everything is poo poo and will only get worse" or "golden/silver age of comics" then you need to go read a book sometime; anything with any nuance at all will do, because clearly you haven't. You can have things get worse and then better (and then worse again!), you can (and should) have both happiness and pain, you can maintain your grip on reality even after having someone Dominate you a bit. It's not all-in, goodness and bad == oil and water, there can be only one. That would make for a really boring-rear end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I Am Just a Box posted:

Isn't that exactly what the game already describes? At least in the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook, it says that if you allow Social Maneuvering to target PCs, success either offers a beat if the PC complies, or the PC offers a compromise and the maneuvering character imposes a Condition (meaning you get a beat either way in the long run, but either you comply or you deal with circumstances).

Possibly? GMC/nWoD 2e/CoD/whatever didn't really appeal to me so I only familiarized myself with the system to the point that I realized that I wasn't going to enjoy it. The social mechanics was probably the thing I looked at the least, because they were big and full of Capitalized Ordinary Words, intended for telling a kind of story I don't usually tell in my WoD games.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Being magically coerced is ironically a lot less damaging to a player's sense of agency then just being told that an NPC rolled high on a social check and now they're buddies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Loomer posted:

Lore of the Bloodlines is out, and is a stellar example of why I hate purely in-universe write-ups. It's because of things like this.

"Sometime after the fall of Rome, there was a plan to create a small cadre of Toreador who might infiltrate the Camarilla." re the origins of the Daughters of Cacophany. I mean, I guess one can accurately call anything at all to do with the Camarilla in the oWoD as 'post-Roman', but it's not exactly the most recent event to reference. Unreliable narrators are fun in stories, but bad in write-ups.

Weren't the Daughters already explained as an experiment in VIctorian Age Vampire?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Being magically coerced is ironically a lot less damaging to a player's sense of agency then just being told that an NPC rolled high on a social check and now they're buddies.

Right. With Dominate you always have the narrative back door of, "well, it's not me, it's Dominate."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

...aren't the Toreador one of the core Cam clans?

Yep. Of course, the Cam didn't come into existence until what I'm pretty sure most scholars would define as 'way after rome fell, like, so long after you guys, yes, we're even counting the eastern roman empire in that though then it's just 'a while after''. Using the TBH's loyalist Toreador to infiltrate makes plenty of sense. Creating a whole new bloodline that are pretty heavily persecuted by the Camarilla, not so much.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Weren't the Daughters already explained as an experiment in VIctorian Age Vampire?

Along with a couple of other possible explanations. But now we get to have two/three more! One is that the TBH created them as Camarilla infiltrators to slowly drive the Camarilla's rulers mad with their singing, using Toreador stock taught by a Malkavian. The other is that three lovely sisters got embraced by a Malk, a Toreador, and a Ventrue and they all went off and shared their blood a bunch of times and eventually out popped a brand spanking new bloodline. Oh, and the write-up explicitly declares the victorian origin a lie, which it is, and then specifically endorses the TBH story.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Loomer posted:

Lore of the Bloodlines is out, and is a stellar example of why I hate purely in-universe write-ups. It's because of things like this.

"Out" or "released to backers"? I tried finding it on DrivethruRPG and it didn't seem to be there.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Released to backers.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I don't really follow what's so damaging to roleplay about social rolls. Roleplay is about responding to situations as your character would, and the statement "this guy comes across as trustworthy and what he's saying seems to be truthful and make sense" is no different in the context of a roleplaying game as "a guy with a gun suddenly backflips into the room through the window and he looks mad as hell." It sounds like what you're really angry about is bad STs that don't know how to present social mechanics to players in a way that allows them to "yes and" in response.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Yes and" is the GM's job, not the players'. The whole point of it is deference to their motivations and will in proportion to the amount of control you have as a GM.

Honestly my personal response would be "why, you're right, traditional RPG combat gives the players too little agency, as well! Let's fix it!" but people are really attached to dice and randomness as a conflict resolution system for some reason. :v:

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Reene posted:

It sounds like what you're really angry about is bad STs that don't know how to present social mechanics to players in a way that allows them to "yes and" in response.

This was my concern. And to be fair, the ST rolling a die and telling you some so-and-so your character hates just schmoozed you up and now you are best buds forever is a crappy social mechanic, though I've never encountered that. I see things like contested intimidation checks where if the PC loses the contest they are expected to roleplay backing down. Or a contested subterfuge check with two harpies trying to tease out social secrets from each other, so the PC writes down a juicy bit of gossip they are willing to risk giving up, and if they lose they should portray spilling that bean and if they win they get the lurid details of the Sheriff's feeding 'accident.'

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Yawgmoth posted:

This way lies madness and dissolved groups. Let the players make sense motive checks (or whatever) when they feel it prudent, otherwise just RP the NPCs as you would normally. The PCs are PCs and are treated differently for a reason, and that reason is that you are not playing them, the players are. Treating them like NPCs will only lead to them becoming NPCs.

HeroQuest has an interesting way it resolves conflicts. First, each side has to declare what they want to happen if they win the contest. This is done to see if there are conflicting goals that actually need to be resolved. They then apply relevant bonuses and modifiers, make their rolls and figure the margin of success. The loser suffers "damage" appropriate to the narrative of the conflict. In social situations, it is usually a loss of face or prestige/power.

So, the player may not necessarily have to do exactly what the NPC wants them to, but if they refuse, there is some narrative penalty to the rejection. So, if the NPC succeeds against the player in a seduction check, but the player doesn't want to do what the NPC asks of them, then the GM can narrate a situation where the seduction failed but rumors were spread about the player's character that defame him in circles he cares about. Or maybe the NPC makes a public scene out of it, shaming the player's character and ruining his reputation around those present for the scene.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Yes and" is the GM's job, not the players'. The whole point of it is deference to their motivations and will in proportion to the amount of control you have as a GM.

Honestly my personal response would be "why, you're right, traditional RPG combat gives the players too little agency, as well! Let's fix it!" but people are really attached to dice and randomness as a conflict resolution system for some reason. :v:

That's something I'm looking forward to seeing how Storypath handles; its system of making outcomes to consequences non-binary is interesting. When you roll on a challenge and succeed beyond the minimum, you get to make interesting things happen. If you fail or someone rolled to do something negative to you, you can say "Yes, that happens" and accept the result, or decide to have your character evade it but with some interesting complication.

The example given in the preview, and the one I really liked, was rolling to parkour over a fence while fleeing the police and failing the roll. Option A is simply to accept it and be captured, but Option B is to make the jump but have your jacket get tangled and leave it behind with your ID in the pocket, or to slash open your leg on a sharp bit of fence.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think we're conflating badly-handled social rolls with all social rolls. In combat, you don't roll Strength + Brawl and instantly punch your archenemy's head off, and Manipulation + Subterfuge doesn't automatically mean you immediately convince your target that you're the High Pope of Wizard Jesus. A good GM will give you guidelines (she seems trustworthy) and a great GM will reward you for playing along, and good players will realize that those guidelines are guidelines and act accordingly.

I absolutely disagree that only the GM needs to play by "yes, and" rules. In a system like D&D where social encounters are just roadblocks on the way to sticking swords in things, sure. But WoD is about character interaction just as much as it is about raining down Celestial fire, which means there's going to be a lot of actual roleplaying involved, and the best kind of roleplaying happens when you're basically just doing dice-assisted improvisational theater.

This is, again, entirely up to the GM to run smoothly. "You are now madly in love with this NPC" after a die roll is poo poo storytelling. "Now that you're getting to know him, he's actually kind of weirdly charming" is good. Agency over a player's actual actions remain with the player, who is still absolutely free to say "yes, he is charming, and he's still the rear end in a top hat running the ghoul prostitution ring."

Roleplaying is about telling a story cooperatively, and treating the storyteller and players as adversaries instead of allies is a great way to tell really poo poo stories.

blastron fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 16, 2017

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
As Soonmot and a few others said, temptation and incentives to do things work far better for social combat when you're trying to affect PCs. Players will gleefully hang themselves on the rope you give them if the rope comes with Fabulous Prizes on the side - or at the very least, be very sorely tempted by things they'd otherwise instantly brush off as suicidal or self-destructive.

To give an example, let's structure the same scenario, posed two different ways.

Dave the Daeva makes a compelling argument for why you should go slap the Sheriff in the face. His wily ways have convinced you.

1) You must spend a point of Willpower to resist, or you will go slap the man. If you do resist, Dave will be upset with you. This feels lovely, because it's a willpower tax in order to maintain control of your character, and if you acquiesce, you're not really gaining anything so much as you're not losing something - at the cost of doing something stupid and dangerous in-character.

2) If you, the player, go "yes, I will go slap the Sheriff in the face", your character gets a point of Willpower from the sheer inspiration Dave has instilled in them, as they're now full of vim, vigor, and the drive to slap the Sheriff in the face. If you say no, you don't get the Willpower, and Dave will be upset with you.

This is an incredibly simplified example, but it should be noted that transactionally, the same thing happens. You gain or lose one net point of willpower depending on your choice. However, framing it positively will make your average player much, much more likely to go with the more interesting story option of slapping the Sheriff in the face, as they're being directly rewarded for doing so. By tying rewards or narrative power to acquiescing to detrimental actions, be they short term or long term, you're encouraging players to think of how to make the story interesting without necessarily being entirely positive or beneficial to their character, and giving an actual reason to agonize over decisions that a detached observer wouldn't even think twice about.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
This is, incidentally, why so many games reward setbacks in the form of either resources for temporary power-ups or permanent character-building resources.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe every player group is different and what one group is okay with another will not be and there's no universal answer to this problem? Like, I think Yawgmoth and Daeren have the right idea, but I can understand a game where NPCs can persuade/intimidate characters just as they can. I'd never run it that way and never accept being run that way, but if it's working for you, then keep at it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My local VTR larp recently introduced social mechanic rules. Basicalpy each skill can give an associated condition. So you can't compel people, but you can make it worth their while

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Reene posted:

I don't really follow what's so damaging to roleplay about social rolls. Roleplay is about responding to situations as your character would, and the statement "this guy comes across as trustworthy and what he's saying seems to be truthful and make sense" is no different in the context of a roleplaying game as "a guy with a gun suddenly backflips into the room through the window and he looks mad as hell." It sounds like what you're really angry about is bad STs that don't know how to present social mechanics to players in a way that allows them to "yes and" in response.

Yeah, this sounds like the difference between 'the prince has put forward a persuasive argument' and 'the prince has persuaded you'.

You, as a ST, are in the business of producing stimuli for PCs to react to, not dictating their reactions (provided they're not meta-gaming or some poo poo).

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, this sounds like the difference between 'the prince has put forward a persuasive argument' and 'the prince has persuaded you'.

You, as a ST, are in the business of producing stimuli for PCs to react to, not dictating their reactions (provided they're not meta-gaming or some poo poo).

If I trust my ST to maturely and interestingly handle all the other hard/soft limitations (Disciplines, Frenzy, Lashing Out, Conditions, Combat, Character Death, etc.) to my roleplaying choices, I ALSO trust them to handle any social mechanics in exactly the same way. The...

Kavak posted:

I'd never run it that way and never accept being run that way

... philosophies really seem problematic to me. I really don't get the player who says "Yes, I accept that you are dominating my PC to never question this person's motives or to follow every command for the night. That you might inflict Entrhalled on my PC or an unwilling Vinculum. That you might use combat maneuvers to rip out my tongue or lacerate me with scars before the big soiree. That my PC can die or go into torpor. That my PC can be tortured or their secrets stolen with Auspex. That if I don't aggressively work toward my beast's frenzy goal, you may step in. BUT - I will only ever accept my PC being tricked, seduced, or intimidated if I, the player, am those things first."

Instead I worry its a case of, "I had a bad ST/Experience in the past, so I will fight to have ultimate agency as much as possible in all cases going forward." - When I see that as a total illusion. It makes no difference to me if the obstacle/setback I am facing is a Vampire with Nightmare vs. a Biker Gang driving around my PC and shooting guns in the air. If I get scared off in either case because of a contested roll - all that ultimately changed was flavor.

And yeah, I've certainly been talked into things I shouldn't have, trusted people just because I was attracted to them, been intimidated out of a course of action in real life where I don't believe magic is real (sorry Loomer), so why couldn't a PC? But then again, I guess I can see Night10194's escapism argument there. Why do that stuff if it isn't fun for you at all? I just want to be very careful to peel away from the idea that setback/conflict/loss can't be fun.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Barbed Tongues posted:

I really don't get the player who says "Yes, I accept that you are dominating my PC to never question this person's motives or to follow every command for the night. That you might inflict Entrhalled on my PC or an unwilling Vinculum. That you might use combat maneuvers to rip out my tongue or lacerate me with scars before the big soiree. That my PC can die or go into torpor. That my PC can be tortured or their secrets stolen with Auspex. That if I don't aggressively work toward my beast's frenzy goal, you may step in. BUT - I will only ever accept my PC being tricked, seduced, or intimidated if I, the player, am those things first."

All of those are done by combat, which the player has a fair chance to fight back, or loving vampire magic, which operates outside normal rules. Social skill rolls dictating (Not influencing or suggesting, dictating) character reactions interfere with the very basics of running your character- deciding how they feel, what they think, what action they are going to take.

I think ultimately there's a game philosophy disconnect here that's never going to be settled in everyone's favor, if the last hundred times this argument has occurred in this thread are any indication.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kavak posted:

All of those are done by combat, which the player has a fair chance to fight back, or loving vampire magic, which operates outside normal rules. Social skill rolls dictating (Not influencing or suggesting, dictating) character reactions interfere with the very basics of running your character- deciding how they feel, what they think, what action they are going to take.

Situations where PCs have no chance to fight back / contest / struggle before their actions are dictated for them I don't find very compelling, regardless of the mechanics. Dominate as the vector isn't any more or less interesting than a social conflict to me (sans context).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

My local VTR larp recently introduced social mechanic rules. Basicalpy each skill can give an associated condition. So you can't compel people, but you can make it worth their while

That sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I wonder if them shoveling out all the CtL stuff in a bundle is a sign that 2e is close. Though I've never played any version, just looking through the 1e and currently available 2e stuff I am already really looking forward to 2e. The freedom allowed by 'any seeming can be any kith' seems really cool.

Though some of the balance among the 84 available kiths seems skewed. Then again the current notes aren't the final version so I'm sure they'll iron some of that out before release.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Given that Changeling 2e lost its dev recently, I suspect it's gonna be a while.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Aww. Hope whoever takes over doesn't switch back to pigeonholing this stuff.

I was rolling random combinations of kith+seeming for character ideas and happened to roll Render+Fairest. At first I had trouble picturing something beautiful that breaks through stuff until I thought: well I'd say a big living jug of delicious and refreshing flavored drink is fairly charismatic...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I was rolling random combinations of kith+seeming for character ideas and happened to roll Render+Fairest. At first I had trouble picturing something beautiful that breaks through stuff until I thought: well I'd say a big living jug of delicious and refreshing flavored drink is fairly charismatic...

I'm a Heartbreaker. I break hearts.

Literally. :getin:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Getsuya posted:

You're describing a Daeva from a V:tR larp I used to play. He was a real Prince Charming kinda guy with Max Vigor and a general focus on physical stats. He'd juggernaut his way through problems without thinking things through. A Conan type perfectly chiseled Barbarian would make a good Fairest Render.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

so basically Changeling Gaston

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

No one fights like Gaston!
No one charms like Gaston!
No one hides his psychological scars behind a facade of bravado like Gaston!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Loomer posted:

"Sometime after the fall of Rome, there was a plan to create a small cadre of Toreador who might infiltrate the Camarilla." re the origins of the Daughters of Cacophany. I mean, I guess one can accurately call anything at all to do with the Camarilla in the oWoD as 'post-Roman', but it's not exactly the most recent event to reference. Unreliable narrators are fun in stories, but bad in write-ups.

I got a look at a copy today and went to the Nagaraja section (because the Nagaraja are love) and was quickly disappointed. It seems to think that all Nagaraja are, by necessity, expert serial killers complete with basement-dungeons.

When, in fact, a Nagaraja could just ghoul a funeral home worker or mortician to leave out "doggy bags" for her to eat. Or simply work night-shifts in a morgue herself. That's not to say that your average Nagaraja isn't living one bad day away from a headline as the next Chesapeake Killer, but LotB seems to warp them to be nothing but efficient killers, whereas V20 has them as scholars, antiquarians, and ghost-hunters.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Probably late to the party on this, but the V20 Dark Ages Tome of Secrets is sweet as hell. Just a whole book of "here's more vampire magic poo poo, and also, plot hooks related to how it's all bad and evil" like Lasombra Abyss Mysticism involving digging a deep hole to go meditate in, then eventually building a deep dungeon to meditate in, and PS any weird Abyss horrors you summon within this hole (an "Oubliette") don't disappear at dawn like they normally do, so long as they stay there. And Necromancy does traditional witchcraft poo poo (sterilizes cattle and people, destroys crops, etc.) within an area if you roll too well on it (like...>1 success). Cool book.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Not World of Darkness, but I personally find it kind of frustrating when people can just 'LOL NOPE' all the character points I put into social skills in Shadowrun. It's about respecting the investment, really: I spent a big chunk of my finite character resources to do a thing, and UNLIKE other systems, It's kind of optional if other PCs want to play along in it.

Basically my 20 dice in Intimdiation is worth less than 12 dice in Automatics, because while there's a whole combat system for combat that can be used to resolve inter-party conflict. Getting shot is getting shot, but even when my sheet says that I'm preternaturally scary, there still is a certain amount of 'Yes yes, very cute, go play in the corner now'

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Crasical posted:

Not World of Darkness, but I personally find it kind of frustrating when people can just 'LOL NOPE' all the character points I put into social skills in Shadowrun. It's about respecting the investment, really: I spent a big chunk of my finite character resources to do a thing, and UNLIKE other systems, It's kind of optional if other PCs want to play along in it.

Basically my 20 dice in Intimdiation is worth less than 12 dice in Automatics, because while there's a whole combat system for combat that can be used to resolve inter-party conflict. Getting shot is getting shot, but even when my sheet says that I'm preternaturally scary, there still is a certain amount of 'Yes yes, very cute, go play in the corner now'

I hold the somewhat controversial opinion that a game should not assign a value, quantitative or qualitative, to a skill or power unless there's a system that makes actual, tangible, nonnegotiable use of it. A game shouldn't let you have 20 dice in Intimidating people unless you can be as sure of what those 20 dice do as you'd be of what 20 dice in Firearms or Punching Dudes does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

I hold the somewhat controversial opinion that a game should not assign a value, quantitative or qualitative, to a skill or power unless there's a system that makes actual, tangible, nonnegotiable use of it. A game shouldn't let you have 20 dice in Intimidating people unless you can be as sure of what those 20 dice do as you'd be of what 20 dice in Firearms or Punching Dudes does.

Soften this to "you shouldn't buy totally concrete points with the same pool you use to buy soft/abstract points" and I'd be on board.

Also, I don't see the problem if your game gives you concrete systems for manipulating NPCs that don't work on players. Most tabletop RPGs fall apart if you actually try to use the combat rules for PvP anyways.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Most tabletop RPGs fall apart if you actually try to use the combat rules for PvP anyways.
But 3.5 D&D has you making NPCs with the same rules as PCs and it-

oh.

Oh.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
There are in fact, rules for how to resolve being lied to or intimidated, or being in intense negotiations. A great big table of possible dice-pool modifiers, too, so that trying to get an enemy to do something disastrous to them slaps you with an enormous -8 modifier.

People just are very fond of the 'You can't use social skills on other PCs!' argument for why rolling to intimidate them shouldn't be allowed.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Crasical posted:

People just are very fond of the 'You can't use social skills on other PCs!' argument for why rolling to intimidate them shouldn't be allowed.

There's a reason I specified "nonnegotiable".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PCs being vulnerable to seduction, intimidation, etc. is basically making them less the property / alter ego of the player and more into game pieces / part of the collective game world to be manipulated by the players as assistant storytellers. This is fine, but it's basically taking a step away from the very concept of an "RPG" and towards some kind of socializing-flavored strategy game (which, in fairness, sounds awesome but isn't really what people tend to sign up for.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I bet there's an RPG out there where nobody plays a particular character but each person gets control of a particular element of the narrative, and if there isn't there should be. (On a level more sophisticated than, like, Microscope or something.)

e: Or going back to my previous post for a second, a PC in the traditional model is primarily an interface for the player to affect the game world. It's a tool for translating their own desires and experiences through a fictional lens onto the fantasy. Letting other players mess with that is a huge category shift even if it isn't an inherently bad thing by any means.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 16, 2017