Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hungry Computer posted:

I had to turn it off because it keeps drifting to the left, even while using my pro controller.

Calibrate ya'lls motion controls, because it should be rock solid. If that doesn't work, have it repaired/replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sleepness posted:

I'm thinking about buying afterbirth for a game to play on the go, but I'm not sure it's the right move as this would be my first time playing and all that I've read about it says that it's too bloated for new players. Does anyone have any experience with the game? I don't really trust most gaming journalists so I don't know what to think. I've wanted to get into it but it's not the type of game I want to sit on my PC and play, but a portable version sounds great.

imo it's only "bloated for new players" if you're one of the people that demands to know every mechanic and item and interaction of a game so you can min max every run before you've opened the game for the first time, so if you're someone who jumps on streams of people doing blind playthroughs so you can backseat drive and tell the streamer how wrong they're doing it then you're going to have a lot of studying to do for this one

if you're a normal human who plays video games for fun then you'll go in blind, pick up some things that may or may not work, be surprised a lot, die because you make mistakes, and overall enjoy the roguelike experience because that's what the game is

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've had some minor issues with my gyro controls. I don't know if it's possible for these to get gimbal locked (I think gryos for controllers are just little flaps instead of rings) but it felt like my controller was gimbal locked and wouldn't respond. I had to shake it a bit and then it was fine. That has happened twice in the "75 hours or more" the Switch tells me I've played.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yeah so called Walmart and they said the item was out of stock but that my order would be fulfilled once it came back in stock and to check back in a couple days. Not holding out hope and will keep looking elsewhere.

I managed to score one on that same "restock" and it has the same undefined status that says it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It still doesn't have any tracking information. I also ordered BoTW in a separate order after it and it says the same thing, even though it was in stock for longer and you can still buy it through the website.

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 16, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Time for my weekly dumb question about Nintendo stuff:

I have Shovel Knight for PS4. I think I even have the expansions. The Treasure whatever, right? I haven't finished the base game... I'll get around to it. I love it, just been pulled in a lot of gaming directions lately.

Is there any benefit to getting it on Switch? Do I get anything sooner? The last expansion or something, maybe?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The newest expansion is exclusive to Switch for an indeterminate amount of time (I think a few months?), which can be bought standalone for 10bux. If you already have the full base game, you'll get it for free once the exclusive period is up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Artix posted:

The newest expansion is exclusive to Switch for an indeterminate amount of time (I think a few months?), which can be bought standalone for 10bux. If you already have the full base game, you'll get it for free once the exclusive period is up.

Ok so if I wanted to play the new poo poo I could just buy the latest standalone on Switch for the exclusive expansion...?

Do I need to beat the base game to understand the Switch exclusive expansion?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The only problem I have with Zelda is not having a recipe book so I have to rely on my (non-existent) memory for what works and what doesn't.

Unless it does have one and I'm just blind.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

iajanus posted:

The only problem I have with Zelda is not having a recipe book so I have to rely on my (non-existent) memory for what works and what doesn't.

No but you can check the ingredients of meals already made.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

how the gently caress are people just randomly modding their switches and cons so soon after release and having them look like they were always there. i feel like i missed some great recent technological advancement or something.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

No but you can check the ingredients of meals already made.

And take a screenshot of that!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Vikar Jerome posted:

how the gently caress are people just randomly modding their switches and cons so soon after release and having them look like they were always there. i feel like i missed some great recent technological advancement or something.

My favorite one was when someone modded their joycons to be green and someone replied with

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't it only give bokoblin weapons? I somehow found a Smash Link amiibo for 10 dollars on Amazon and for some reason a OoT Link for 1 cent on Amazon as well.

Yeah so far I got a diamond strength bokoblin spiked bokoblin club and a bunch of prime meat.

I used my girlfriend's Mabel from Animal Crossing and got some more meat and herbs.

Not crazy about only getting bokoblin weapons but whatever. It's a neat figure to sit on my desk at work.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

if they released a set of atomic purple clear joycons tho that would have to be a day one buy for me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

iajanus posted:

My recipe book is the dedicated switch screenshot button

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can combine any food ingredient with any other food ingredients and have it work though. It's just addition.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You can combine any food ingredient with any other food ingredients and have it work though. It's just addition.

For a given value of the word "work", though; plenty of combinations give dubious food with the total benefit of 1 health (or less). Although sometimes you get better dubious food...

I was overjoyed when I worked out that adding rice to various things gave sushi with pretty massive benefits

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Had to be on a bus for two 18 hour trips going from Texas to Orlando and back: when I wasn't sleeping, I was playing Zelda, and reminded me that while having to sleep on buses is trash, playing games to pass the time is fun.

Got back, and now in the middle of two flights today after the second 18 hour bus ride, playing the GotY (Snipperclips obvs) with my wife as we literally go from coast to coast in one day.

What I'm saying is the Switch is pretty cool

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

iajanus posted:

For a given value of the word "work", though; plenty of combinations give dubious food with the total benefit of 1 health (or less). Although sometimes you get better dubious food...

I was overjoyed when I worked out that adding rice to various things gave sushi with pretty massive benefits

Only combine food and you won't get anything dubious.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

iajanus posted:

You only get dubious food from trying to mix food and elixir ingredients with each other. For animals you catch, the item descriptions tell you which ones count as regular food.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, once you learn a few basic rules about how cooking works, it's just a matter of reading the item descriptions.

There are some more complicated recipes that aren't as obvious, though, but the game often teaches those to you through side-quests, conversations, books, etc.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A recipe book for stuff you've already discovered would still be nice for quality of life, even if not necessary. Maybe there'll be a decent app for that? Whenever I think "I wonder if there's a good app for tracking poo poo in this game" there usually is (Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, etc).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I have a pro controller on hold at a store, the only one for 200 miles, someone convince me it's worth going and buying at this time of night and in the freezing cold (the hold is only one hour)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How long of a drive is it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

parallelodad posted:

How long of a drive is it

35 minutes

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I have a pro controller on hold at a store, the only one for 200 miles, someone convince me it's worth going and buying at this time of night and in the freezing cold (the hold is only one hour)

I picked up my pro controller to answer this question... my answer? ... it's good

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

A recipe book for stuff you've already discovered would still be nice for quality of life, even if not necessary. Maybe there'll be a decent app for that? Whenever I think "I wonder if there's a good app for tracking poo poo in this game" there usually is (Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, etc).

Update: there are a number of recipe apps, but they all tell you everything. There doesn't seem to be one for you to just track poo poo you've discovered on your own. Although I suppose that's what the screenshot function or a notepad app is for.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Do you splatoon? If yes then start driving

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Earth Table posted:

if they released a set of atomic purple clear joycons tho that would have to be a day one buy for me

i like your style

if they released an atomic purple Switch, I'd buy the whole thing and sell my launch switch, even if they don't have a save transfer method by then.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's one of the most solid controllers I've ever held and I'd probably get one even if I didn't have a Switch because it works for PC too.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Update: there are a number of recipe apps, but they all tell you everything. There doesn't seem to be one for you to just track poo poo you've discovered on your own. Although I suppose that's what the screenshot function or a notepad app is for.

The official guide has all the recipes. I highly recommend it. I don't even use it for the storyline, I just use it for recipes, looking over weapon strengths, enemy health levels and whether materials are good for anything besides cooking or selling (like gemstones).

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FireMrshlBill posted:

i like your style

if they released an atomic purple Switch, I'd buy the whole thing and sell my launch switch, even if they don't have a save transfer method by then.

Save Transfer is a big deal for me as I did Zelda on the WiiU I understand the chances of me ever being able to transfer that save are like nil but a man can dream. Actually I imagine if they keep homebrewing the switch they will probably add in the missing features for Nintendo.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Save Transfer is a big deal for me as I did Zelda on the WiiU I understand the chances of me ever being able to transfer that save are like nil but a man can dream. Actually I imagine if they keep homebrewing the switch they will probably add in the missing features for Nintendo.

Ya, it usually is for me as well. The atomic purple would be the only exception to me. I am sure they will do cloud saves with that paid service, or will have a save/game transfer like they did with the 3DS and the Wii>WiiU. I am just surprised it wasn't rolled out for early RMA's but I guess they figured most issues would be out of the box and wouldn't have to deal with purchase or save transfers.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the best thing about the food recipes in BotW is that they don't feel weird or arbitrary. The dishes that come from ingredients make sense and I've discovered recipes just by knowing how real dishes are made and that's pretty cool

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

based on the number of ingredients I have, pretty much everything I make has apples, mushrooms, either eggs or rice, and something else to add an effect or more hearts.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I want an amiibo of the atomic purple N64 controller, and I want it to give you an atomic purple system menu theme.

(possible also a transparent atomic purple horse in zelda, but that might be flying too close to the sun)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can buy the Switch Dog Stickers:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/513326595/nintendo-switch-joy-con-dog-tongue

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

a pro controller is good but i don't think i'd drive more than maybe 30 miles for one.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

baram. posted:

a pro controller is good but i don't think i'd drive more than maybe 30 miles for one.

Not even 36? Cmon man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

• Locked thread