Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bitch got a case of the Julia Roberts mouth with a heapin' helpin' of collagen injections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digirat posted:

There is absolutely no weight to the melee and power effects anymore--The krogan headbutt kills someone and they just sort of drift to the floor with no screen shake. Basic enemies still take an entire magazine to kill on bronze. There's still mega sponge enemies who take multiple entire magazines.

Biowhy.

Is there any chance this can be chalked up to everyone being low level with no gear yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there any chance this can be chalked up to everyone being low level with no gear yet?

Yeah, basic enemies definitely aren't taking an entire magazine on any of the streams I've seen.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lol why does ryder slide into the frame like that

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're discussing this in a steam thread, and I had a question there, that might be better asked here.

Turtlicious posted:

I don't see it, is that bad? Like what's the problem with the animations? Preferably if someone explained it, rather then showing me a 5 second gif, if only because the gifs really aren't showing me what people are obviously seeing. Maybe it's an old people thing?

How many of you guys grew up watching Bugs Bunny vs like, Cubix or Beast Wars re-runs which were the poo poo when I was growing up. Like yeah, if your first RPG was Earthbound, of course poo poo is going to look weird too you, as opposed to your first rpg being Chrono Cross or Final Fantasy 10

Thoughts?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The biotic explosion sound effect is pretty weak compared to the mighty one in ME3. She also set off a biotic explosion with Overload earlier? Are primers and detonators are universal now?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ash1138 posted:

lol why does ryder slide into the frame like that

Why does she have that poo poo eating grin on her face when asked about her dead father? Just go with it. There's no answers.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Are primers and detonators are universal now?

They are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The biotic explosion sound effect is pretty weak compared to the mighty one in ME3. She also set off a biotic explosion with Overload earlier? Are primers and detonators are universal now?

Pretty sure you could do the same combo in 3?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

We're discussing this in a steam thread, and I had a question there, that might be better asked here.

Thoughts?

Thought: wghat

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why does she have that poo poo eating grin on her face when asked about her dead father? Just go with it. There's no answers.
does it make more sense if ryder is being played as if she's going crazy like kate mulgrew played captain janeway?

or maybe ryder is just "lol nothing matters!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Im a animation

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hoo boy this game is not impressive. Only an hour or so in but still. It makes me want to go play the old ones.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like, maybe the animation is more "unsettling" because you grew up with pixel art, and retro sprites, and basic polygons, while the younger generations grew up with better animated games. It's not as upsetting, because it's not as far as a deviation from the norm that we are used too compare to those whose first game was made 20+ years ago.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Turtlicious posted:

Thoughts?

Try using your eyes.

Compare this: (2015)

to This: (2017)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Try using your eyes.

friends, i know we like to goof around here, but that can't be real

that's gotta be paaaarpified

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

Thought: wghat

i mean are you claiming that a video game in the year of our lord 2017 looks fine because it's on par with an episode of ReBoot from 1996, is that what you're saying?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Norns posted:

Pretty sure you could do the same combo in 3?

I don't think so. Biotic detonators could cause tech explosions, but biotic explosions could only be caused with a biotic primer and biotic detonator. So Overload wouldn't detonate Warp in ME3.

E: Also I think they tweaked tech explosions to be able to be universally detonated to make them more useful, as they were hard to set off originally

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Turtlicious posted:

Like, maybe the animation is more "unsettling" because you grew up with pixel art, and retro sprites, and basic polygons, while the younger generations grew up with better animated games. It's not as upsetting, because it's not as far as a deviation from the norm that we are used too compare to those whose first game was made 20+ years ago.

Wait are you suggesting the animations look bad to old people because they're different from pixel art? Or that they look bad to young people because they're different from good animations?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So does your sibling and father's appearances change depending on your character's appearance?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Normandy bridge

Tempest bridge

I counted two 2-story environments within the Tempest as well. Some people said single-player MMO?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Try using your eyes.

Compare this: (2015)

I legit don't see it, the Witcher Face for one is slowed down, and waaay further back to hide the animation techniques, (which has the same lip problem, and doesn't really match any words.) While the Bioware one is close up?

Like at least you can read people's lips in Mass Effects, compared to Witcher 3.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cowcaster posted:

i mean are you claiming that a video game in the year of our lord 2017 looks fine because it's on par with an episode of ReBoot from 1996, is that what you're saying?

that's what i took from it

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
All the people look like they have the skin of sea mammals and are made of rubber.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haledjian posted:

Wait are you suggesting the animations look bad to old people because they're different from pixel art?

The former, though you guys also had Resident Evil 1.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Turtlicious posted:

Like at least you can read people's lips in Mass Effects, compared to Witcher 3.

are you loving serious with this

you should have seen the stream before!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ekusukariba posted:

So does your sibling and father's appearances change depending on your character's appearance?

Your father's appearance does and but you have to manually edit your sibling in character creation.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arglebargle III posted:

Normandy bridge

Tempest bridge

I counted two 2-story environments within the Tempest as well. Some people said single-player MMO?

I do not understand how this indicative of a single-player MMO?

its... bigger therefore MMO?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Turtlicious posted:

I legit don't see it

Sorry about your brain.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think he might be pranking us guys

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow you really have to zoom out then zoom in again on every planet to get to the planet interaction screen.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

If you think :shepface: is an appropriate facial expression to pair with the line of dialogue "My father is dead," then there is something wrong with your eyes and/or brain.

Like I'm an actual, diagnosed sperg who's had lifelong problems with 'reading' faces and even I recognize that that expression is like the polar opposite of the emotion that is supposed to be conveyed there.

The video I'm referencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUilV_oemg

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 16, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Arglebargle III posted:

Normandy bridge

Tempest bridge

I don't get it, what do these screenshots have to do with MMOs?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Turtlicious posted:

I legit don't see it, the Witcher Face for one is slowed down, and waaay further back to hide the animation techniques, (which has the same lip problem, and doesn't really match any words.) While the Bioware one is close up?

Haha what

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hate to say it, but I'm kind of disillusioned about this game. It will be interesting to see how bad this game is, but there other games coming up like Nier for the PC and Persona 5

The buzz around Nier is good, what about Persona 5, since that came out early in Japan?

I've only heard good things about NIER 2, but I don't think I've played a persona game since persona 2.

Before today I was looking to pick up MEA for $45 at GMG, but hahaha not gonna pay more than $20 for this regression. :yarr:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

No, I'm claiming that if you grew up with hand drawn poo poo, your expectation of normal is going to be different and more stylized animations might look better to you.

Milky Moor posted:

are you loving serious with this

you should have seen the stream before!

I did?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zore posted:

its... bigger therefore MMO?

Yeah, MMOGs tend to have very high 3rd-person cameras so environments have to be huge to accommodate the camera, and also potentially large groups of people. It's a style thing. But there's really no reason to have sections of your spaceship look like an airport lounge, from an aesthetic or gameplay perspective.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Successfully cancelled preorder, will probably come back to this game when it drops to $15 on amazon or something. :toot:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Turtlicious posted:

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/842138336764416000

Is this actually real life?