Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

manyak posted:

You dont have to be hostile, he just means that you shouldnt feel at fault because the dude should know the risks of doing this as a hobby

I was attempting something I read about called "snarky humour" but if it came off as mean I apologize.

Crutchin' all day has me prickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Wangsbig posted:

I feel like the adult man wagering his family's livelihood by violently pirouetting his entire frame on his acl is at fault here

To be honest, this is also on the gym/coach. What not to do in a leglock situation should be a fundamental of training, just like how you learn to fall without posting and breaking your arm.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I was attempting something I read about called "snarky humour" but if it came off as mean I apologize.

I feel you. Get well soon my man

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We got a new instructor in class today who almost killed us with warm ups, he's super young and straight from Sao Paulo but he did something that I really appreciated during rolls. He would walk around and watch everyone while they were rolling and after time was up he would take the time to show them a hole in their game and how to fix it. He also made me super self conscious because I knew he was watching me so I made an extra effort to dominate positions and submit people today.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

He would walk around and watch everyone while they were rolling and after time was up he would take the time to show them a hole in their game and how to fix it.

i wish more instructors would do this.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

it's okay friend I fully expect you to rush to the aid of the other grown man who doesn't know which way his joints turn

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Wangsbig posted:

it's okay friend I fully expect you to rush to the aid of the other grown man who doesn't know which way his joints turn

That's how I roll.

Speaking of that - I don't want to hijack the thread but holy gently caress my foot is bruised all to hell. This is my fourth "sprain/break" and I've never seen colours like this. My loving toes are bruised.

Once it stop feeling like my heart is beating in my foot I'm going to need to figure out some exercises to keep this whole "being fit" thing going.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

JaySB posted:

We got a new instructor in class today who almost killed us with warm ups, he's super young and straight from Sao Paulo but he did something that I really appreciated during rolls. He would walk around and watch everyone while they were rolling and after time was up he would take the time to show them a hole in their game and how to fix it. He also made me super self conscious because I knew he was watching me so I made an extra effort to dominate positions and submit people today.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I ask this question every few years and I love the answers.

What music pumps you up pre-competition? Also, I know we have people with amateur fights here - What was your walkout song and why?

I read a lot about people trying to match beats per minute to heart rhythms and such but I can't imagine get pumped up by loving Enya.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I just overstimulate myself during the warmup and then I'm calm by the time the matches comes around. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7ELJ0oeaA

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Captain Log posted:

What music pumps you up pre-competition? Also, I know we have people with amateur fights here - What was your walkout song and why?

I read a lot about people trying to match beats per minute to heart rhythms and such but I can't imagine get pumped up by loving Enya.

https://youtu.be/RPvMEZoZoZU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Basement Jaxx - Rendez-Vous
I got yer in my heart I got yer in my head, indeed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I didn't do a big effortpost this year but I hope other goons will also be watching NCAA wrestling the next few days. Every mat, every match will be on WatchESPN and the evening sessions will be on ESPN proper each night.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/3007687/2017-ncaa-wrestling-championships

It kicks off in 20 minutes. Get hype.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I didn't do a big effortpost this year but I hope other goons will also be watching NCAA wrestling the next few days. Every mat, every match will be on WatchESPN and the evening sessions will be on ESPN proper each night.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/3007687/2017-ncaa-wrestling-championships

It kicks off in 20 minutes. Get hype.

Ah cool, will definitely be checking this out. Any Hokies of note this year?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Captain Log posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnYPXTs9LY

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Okay, I half assed a thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813626

Come post so I'm not lonely.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

Ah cool, will definitely be checking this out. Any Hokies of note this year?

Several! VT is ranked fourth and has a shot at the top three.

Iowa State stole your coach though.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

JaySB posted:

That's a ton of matches. How was your cardio? How did your adrenaline dump compare to your first tournament? Congrats.

I was definitely ready for 5 minute matches, that's what we always do at the gym. But I definitely didn't expect to go through this many of them. I felt great for the first few. I don't have a super explosive/energy intensive game anyway, basically just pull to closed guard and start working a couple different sweeps / attacks.

I won my first three matches in my division (gi, masters, white belt, 150 -170). I technically won my 4th match since one guy in my division of 8 no-showed. And then we waited a bit, adrenaline starts wearing off. I thought I was done at this point and had won gold, since I just won all of my matches. And then one of the organizers comes over and explains since we had a "big" division that means all those previous matches were just for seeding and now we go into playoffs for medals with the age group below us (which still makes no sense to me). So now the top two guys from white belt masters and top two guys from white belt 18-29 are in a bracket. So now I fight the #2 guy in my division, lose on points. And then I fight the #2 guy from 18-29 and win by submission. And they award me bronze (???)

Now they start my nogi division of four people an hour early, simultaneously calling me to the podium to get my bronze medal and to check in for nogi at the same time. I grab my medal and run over where I have three more matches, I win the first with a sub, lose next on points, lose next by sub. Somehow this earns me silver. :iiam:

In any event I did 8 matches in like 90 minutes and had a winning record so I'm super happy.

willie_dee posted:

Incredible, congrats.

Thanks!

WayneCampbell posted:

Awesome.

Also throw hydrogen peroxide on those blood stains and it will come right out assuming you haven't laundered it yet.

Thanks and good idea I will try that

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Are competitions generally 5 minute time limits? Also to prepare do you guys do longer rounds or just 5 min rounds back to back. The rounds at our gym are kind of arbitrary. Anywhere from 4-8 minutes depending on who's working the clock. Usually 6 I would guess though.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Are competitions generally 5 minute time limits? Also to prepare do you guys do longer rounds or just 5 min rounds back to back. The rounds at our gym are kind of arbitrary. Anywhere from 4-8 minutes depending on who's working the clock. Usually 6 I would guess though.

IBJJF Adult ramps up as rank goes up, but in Master 2 and above rounds are 5 min.

Adult white - 5min
Adult blue - 6min
Adult purple - 7min
Adult brown - 8min
Adult black - 10min
Master 1 white/blue - 5min
Master 1 purple/brown/black - 6min
Master 2 and above - 5min

No idea why and no idea what other orgs are doing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We usually do 6-7 minute rounds at my gym. I've rolled at another gym a few times and the head instructor just kinda calls time whenever. The average was 10 minute rounds but sometimes he forgets.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ICHIBAHN posted:

Basement Jaxx - Rendez-Vous
I got yer in my heart I got yer in my head, indeed.

I'm really enjoying these different tunes but this made me poo poo a bit. What a song, my man. I think I was in Scotland when that album came out.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Had it on before my first comp match, felt the rhythm, wrecked the guy on points. Since then i lost 8 in a row lol but still. Good song.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
2v2 BJJ is such a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAebAF8B7o&t=279s

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
No, it isn't and especially not with that crazy rear end in a top hat.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No, it isn't and especially not with that crazy rear end in a top hat.

Haha, can you imagine rolling with a guy and out of nowhere Imanari loving leg locks you?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Thomas Gilman knocked out of going to the finals.

Hahahahahahhahahahaa :lol:

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

This could be the funnest jiu jitsu possible.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right so, bit of a sketch here. Got a competition on Sunday, need some advice re. weight. I'm in the 67.5kg division, this morning I weighed 69.9. Normally this would be fine, I'd train every night, eat minimally and get down to 67.5, I've done this a couple of times before, without any real cut. The problem this time though is that I've twisted something in my knee and I'm unsure if I can train, I'm struggling walking right now to be honest. There's a chance I'll be fine by Sunday. The main thing though is that I'm worried about dropping the 3kgs. What upperbody / low intensity stuff can I do to keep active and off the knee, to help me lose the weight? If that's a no go, I'm considering doing that thing where you drink a lot of water in the week before until the comp, and lose the weight through pissing basically. I've never done this. What is the formula for it? I'm reading slightly different variations. I know this isn't the best preparation but I've trained for this for a few months and if at all possible I'd love to compete. Cheers for your advice.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right so, bit of a sketch here. Got a competition on Sunday, need some advice re. weight. I'm in the 67.5kg division, this morning I weighed 69.9. Normally this would be fine, I'd train every night, eat minimally and get down to 67.5, I've done this a couple of times before, without any real cut. The problem this time though is that I've twisted something in my knee and I'm unsure if I can train, I'm struggling walking right now to be honest. There's a chance I'll be fine by Sunday. The main thing though is that I'm worried about dropping the 3kgs. What upperbody / low intensity stuff can I do to keep active and off the knee, to help me lose the weight? If that's a no go, I'm considering doing that thing where you drink a lot of water in the week before until the comp, and lose the weight through pissing basically. I've never done this. What is the formula for it? I'm reading slightly different variations. I know this isn't the best preparation but I've trained for this for a few months and if at all possible I'd love to compete. Cheers for your advice.

since its only a week away skip the training . keep up stretches. you could swim if youre the type of person who has to train every day but otherwise i wouldnt bother ... as far as cutting weight ive never done it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ICHIBAHN posted:

stop eating carbs right this second and avoid salt. you'll make it no problems. you can swim, as inri mentioned, or do one of those weird paddle things at any gym or just do some yoga but honestly just stopping carbs and salt now would probably do the trick.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zero salt is tricky fyi. Read the packaging! Lots of things that you'd expect to be salt-free have more than you will want to have. EG fresh carrots.

If you're close on the day of the fights, wearing a garbage bag under a sweat suit can get the last pound or so out.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks guys

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've cut all the way up to 5kgs without being too active. I was never one for running or biking in sauna suits or any of that poo poo.

No solid food the day before, no liquid the day of and one bath was good for about 4kg for me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Decent leg lock and leg entanglement position break down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrEk9MbvUc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Positional discussion/puzzle which has stumped me in recent weeks. My instructor has been adopting this position when we roll and I've been running out of ideas.

You:
Top half guard with posture, no hooks. Passing to side is available.

Opponent:
Laying on side facing you, elbows glued to sides, hands on your hip bones to create a frame, and a straight spine.

Attacks that won't work without some not obvious trick:
D'arce/anaconda/north-south - frame prevents hips from getting into position and tight elbows keep you from from getting cinched up.

Arm bar on the top arm/keylocks/quarter nelson turnover - tight elbows prevent you from getting enough of the arms for any of these techniques.

How do you attack?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

How do you attack?

Any of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753156BgW-I

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

You:

Opponent:
Laying on side facing you, elbows glued to sides, hands on your hip bones to create a frame, and a straight spine.

How do you attack?

Depends on rule set, how big he is, and how he's laced the legs. Assuming even size, and he's using a triangle to hold half guard and Since he's not controlling your posture.

Least restrictive rules: Spin around for the calf crank, which should force him to undo his legs giving you the easy pass or he taps from the calf crank.

Less restrictive rules: cheesy leg only knee bar, back spin knee bar, or rolling toe hold.

Most restrictive: shoulder of justice to smash him flat, use same hand to get a grip on the shoulder/armpit. Top arm gets either a pants grip or a grip under the knee. Walk your foot out and calmly pass to either full mount or side control.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

Positional discussion/puzzle which has stumped me in recent weeks. My instructor has been adopting this position when we roll and I've been running out of ideas.

You:

Opponent:

Attacks that won't work without some not obvious trick:
D'arce/anaconda/north-south - frame prevents hips from getting into position and tight elbows keep you from from getting cinched up.

Arm bar on the top arm/keylocks/quarter nelson turnover - tight elbows prevent you from getting enough of the arms for any of these techniques.

How do you attack?

Can you use your arms palm in and posted at shoulder or hip as a wedge to gain separation from his frame and then proceed with the pass on that side from a wider angle? He would adjust so you might need to adjust further or change sides.

Also maybe possible to get a grip on his hands that are posted on your hip and suck them to you. Idk though would have to play with that one.

Sorry I'm imagining a position but it's hard to type out and what I'm imagining might not even match yours due to the angle of both your bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Anyone tried something like this and had it work as advertised? seems intersting but I never seen anyone do it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEDfytcnAI