Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bobfather posted:

It's not just you, he was definitely needling the poo poo out of him during his fastest lap. Mentioning twice in a condescending manner "that wasn't you, it was the car that saved you" is just rude, never mind all the other comments.

That part really did annoy me. I didn't mind when he would criticize their driving but him saying "you might be thinking you did something good there, but you didn't it was the car" was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chris Harris as driving instructor still sucks.

What they did to that Giulia was criminal.

Blasting though the snow was cool.

Overall chemistry is still lacking and feels forced, but it's enjoyable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Given that LeBlanc is a proper actor, it's a bit disappointing how poo poo he is with the teleprompter jokes.

I feel the chemistry with them still isn't quite there yet, they need to be locked together in a cupboard for 3 days until it develops.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That swing and a miss Rory took *fart*. I'd be the same way just too excited to be there. Tennant's "decadent?! For Lego!" was funny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Given that LeBlanc is a proper actor, it's a bit disappointing how poo poo he is with the teleprompter jokes.

I thought that was the joke... It's kinda making a point that it is and always was massively scripted. LeBlanc is going meta.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Mustache Ride posted:

Was anybody else as disappointed by Extra Gear as I was?
The lad they had on as the 'main host' was like an Office intern who was told he was only going to be fixing up tea and coffee for the rest of the cast. Bless him.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

That swing and a miss Rory took *fart*. I'd be the same way just too excited to be there. Tennant's "decadent?! For Lego!" was funny.

Tennant's delivery of that line was perfect.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Next week's episode sounds cool. Lots of old guys from the Caribbean like to talk about all the rallying they used to do whenever I'm at autocross and it always sounds ridiculously dangerous in the best way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did Rory even do anything besides be one the side lines of Harris' segment? I hope they don't just have him drive the hatchbacks and mom cars and he gets to get out there with the other two.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did Rory even do anything besides be one the side lines of Harris' segment? I hope they don't just have him drive the hatchbacks and mom cars and he gets to get out there with the other two.

He wasn't part of the convertible roadtrip which was a majority of the episode. I had my concerns too, but honestly having a roadtip between just two of them still works out pretty good. My biggest problem is that the films are so drat long now, not like old new Top Gear where you'd get a handful of films per episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What? This is the same format as the old Top Gear. They open the show, go to the first segment, back to the studio with news (now a celebrity segment), then the second film, then back to the studio with the celebrity driving, then the third film, then the wrap up. Old Top Gear would either do three films or one small one big, or one really big film.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Reid is so profoundly uninformed. I like him but he doesn't know a loving thing. He strikes me as an Autozone fender vent sticker guy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I caught BBCA airing of the first episode. This is the first post Clarkson/May/Hammond I've watched because gently caress putting Chris Evans on my screen.

I just don't know, it had trouble holding my attention. It wasn't BAD, it was just...bland.

The studio segments are flat as hell. It doesn't feel like they have a rapport with the audience.

The challenge was somewhat interesting, but the fact that they all set out in opposite directions to put miles on their car says it all.

The cinematography is pretty uninspired as well. Not everything has to be slow motion with tons of vignetting, but the most visually interesting thing they did was have the FXXK break into the letterboxing in one shot. I kept waiting for them to do it again because it was a neat visual thing to go along with how much the car pushed the boundaries, but they didn't.

So, not terrible, but not terribly impressed. I'll continue watching, but it's not must see TV for me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

fyodor posted:

Reid is so profoundly uninformed. I like him but he doesn't know a loving thing. He strikes me as an Autozone fender vent sticker guy.

He's the bulk of the audience's stand in then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEQopnaHipo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was just about to post that. This is one of his more insane builds too.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Shipping the stig in a wooden box will never get old.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Colin did a Youtube car show with Rory a few years ago, but at this point it's hard to know who's boosting the others viewing figures with the guest spot.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I get that they wanted the Aston to come off sounding better than the Merc, but felt like cheating to use the S63 instead of the turbo V12 powered S65 AMG coupe

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

neckbeard posted:

I get that they wanted the Aston to come off sounding better than the Merc, but felt like cheating to use the S63 instead of the turbo V12 powered S65 AMG coupe

All of their reviews seemed really dumb this time. The VW GTI is awesome because it has a turbocharged engine and a professional driving like a maniac can pass cars driven by amateurs on the Nurburgring in it. The FIAT Spider sucks because it has a turbocharged engine and the interior looks like a Miata.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

That muck spreader though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol the spark is long goooooone. Wasn't even Evans fault, apparently.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yeah I don't quite get how that "pass a million pounds worth of cars" was supposed to come across as anything other than them looking like both assholes and idiots.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Most of the cars they passed were pulling over and giving them wave bys anyway. As soon as they hit the long straight at the end of the lap they're going to get passed by pretty much all of them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoyed this episode. A good car-focused installment of Top Gear.

The use of Sabine was perfect.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 20, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I think I enjoyed that more than any episode of Clarkson, Hammond and May in a long while.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yeah I don't quite get how that "pass a million pounds worth of cars" was supposed to come across as anything other than them looking like both assholes and idiots.

Jesus, lighten up a bit, that was seriously great.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

neckbeard posted:

Then the Aston would come of even better. The S65 is like 250 pounds heavier, slower, and 60 grand more expensive than the S63.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yeah, I liked the episode and just as I was wondering whether every review in this series was going to be sunshine and roses the (ugly as sin) Fiat review came on. Also I hope the Melon, Shed and Volvo stays as a regular thing.

Good show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sabine and Rory were having so much fun on that lap.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

The segment of Sabine bombing around the track was pretty cool in isolation, it just had nothing to do with anything they'd said about the GTI to that point. Everything about the car was terrible, but because Sabine could drive like a bat out of hell in it suddenly it was awesome.

It was also rather incongruous how they had praised every car in the show for having a turbo engine to that point (twin turbos in the AMG), then dinged the FIAT specifically because it had one. I don't really understand that one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Richard Hammond was in another pretty serious accident

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sabine and Rory were having so much fun on that lap.

Yep. Like I said at the start, she's a better guest than a main presenter.

Aston v AMG was fun as well.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

The segment of Sabine bombing around the track was pretty cool in isolation, it just had nothing to do with anything they'd said about the GTI to that point. Everything about the car was terrible, but because Sabine could drive like a bat out of hell in it suddenly it was awesome.

They ended the road review bit with basically "it's too expensive and impractical" and then took it to a track with a lot of other expensive and impractical cars and had an absolute blast.

Deteriorata posted:

It was also rather incongruous how they had praised every car in the show for having a turbo engine to that point (twin turbos in the AMG), then dinged the FIAT specifically because it had one. I don't really understand that one.

Maybe putting a turbo in an ugly FIAT that costs 9k more than an MX-5 made it a little hard to recommend?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also I don't know if it's the same for the cars mentioned but a lot of time twin turbos are used to minimize the lag. A small one for the low rpm range and a big one for the higher rpm range smoothing out the power delivery.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

They ended the road review bit with basically "it's too expensive and impractical" and then took it to a track with a lot of other expensive and impractical cars and had an absolute blast.

Maybe putting a turbo in an ugly FIAT that costs 9k more than an MX-5 made it a little hard to recommend?

It doesn't bother me that they didn't like it. Their reasons for disliking it were dumb.

Regarding price, that's the other thing that pissed me off. I also have no idea what they were comparing on price because the FIATs cost almost the same as the Miatas. They both come with different option packages, so they had to have been speccing out the Abarth with everything possible and the Miata with nothing.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Deteriorata posted:

It doesn't bother me that they didn't like it. Their reasons for disliking it were dumb.

Regarding price, that's the other thing that pissed me off. I also have no idea what they were comparing on price because the FIATs cost almost the same as the Miatas. They both come with different option packages, so they had to have been speccing out the Abarth with everything possible and the Miata with nothing.

Your profile says Tennessee, and when I tried to check the prices myself I kept getting redirected to the U.S. websites for both Mazda and Fiat. The story might be different in the UK.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

Your profile says Tennessee, and when I tried to check the prices myself I kept getting redirected to the U.S. websites for both Mazda and Fiat. The story might be different in the UK.

I think that's the difference. The Euro spec on the Spider is only 140 HP, and FIAT charges a large premium for the Abarth version with 164 HP. In the US, the base Spider gets 160 HP and the Abarth is only a couple grand more, which mostly gets you a limited slip differential and a freer-flowing exhaust for another 4 HP.

So the story is different in the US and Europe, and seems to create a lot of confusion.

ETA: The point is that he was in the US and quoted it as $9000 more, which simply isn't true. The Euro Abarth may indeed be €9000 or £ more, I have no idea. Leblanc was mixing countries and currencies with specs that didn't match.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 20, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I especially like that we got more than 2 films this week.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

I think that's the difference. The Euro spec on the Spider is only 140 HP, and FIAT charges a large premium for the Abarth version with 164 HP. In the US, the base Spider gets 160 HP and the Abarth is only a couple grand more, which mostly gets you a limited slip differential and a freer-flowing exhaust for another 4 HP.

So the story is different in the US and Europe, and seems to create a lot of confusion.

ETA: The point is that he was in the US and quoted it as $9000 more, which simply isn't true. The Euro Abarth may indeed be €9000 or £ more, I have no idea. Leblanc was mixing countries and currencies with specs that didn't match.

Do they ever use US pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

GutBomb posted:

Also I don't know if it's the same for the cars mentioned but a lot of time twin turbos are used to minimize the lag. A small one for the low rpm range and a big one for the higher rpm range smoothing out the power delivery.

I don't think any production car has sequential turbocharging right now. Using small turbos to minimize lag is a thing, but they're working in parallel, instead of sequential. Or staged. (There was, or may still be, a production over the road truck engine that was staged...)