Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Warbird posted:

What if SHVR detects Revive and alters the game to be a full 360? That'd be dumb as hell and totally within the spirit of the game's story.

Why wouldn't it do this for people with 360 Rift setups? I'd like to see someone demonstrate the supposed attacks from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I know for a long time elite dangerous sucked in the vive. Is that still the case? I'm thinking of trying it again but it's a hassle to set up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Elite works superbly for me, but I am using the ultra thin foamin thing which does make it much easier to read things at the edges of fov.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Turning on supersampling makes Elite look pretty good. The view still seems a bit weird for me, things outside the cockpit always seem to be scaled way too small. This is especially noticeable in stations or when piloting the huge ships with the bridge in the middle. I still can't stop playing it in VR though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
things aren't too small, they're very far away.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Any word on the release date of the new head strap? My launch day one is so stretched out that I can't even use it anymore.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

App13 posted:

Any word on the release date of the new head strap? My launch day one is so stretched out that I can't even use it anymore.

Preorders are on May 2nd according to this: http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-confirms-vive-tracker-deluxe-audio-strap-prices-pre-order-dates/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

I know for a long time elite dangerous sucked in the vive. Is that still the case? I'm thinking of trying it again but it's a hassle to set up.

Elite has had a lot of improvement with the Vive I have heard compared to the early days.

Also you will need more than a 980Ti to do anything for scaling as even at 1.0X my 980Ti has a hard time keeping it at 90FPS on surfaces or in station. It gets close....

I really need to get my hands on a 1080Ti. I really want to play Elite at 1.5X at 90 all the time.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Interesting interview with Jason Rubin (Oculus head of content), giving a lot of details on the agreements they have with developers they fund to make VR games: http://www.shacknews.com/article/99385/interview-with-oculus-jason-rubin---part-1-the-unpublisher

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I popped in Elite the other day after a long hiatus. My experience was a mix of boredom and utter terror as I nearly got sucked into some crazy white dwarf star I unwittingly jumped to. Elite Dangerous in VR will never fail to occasionally freak me out.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I hope the addition of MultiCrew and possibly aliens to shoot should make the game a bit more fun than it has been.

Overall though in VR it is fantastic to chill with some Scan missions/Cargo Hauling and V up with Netflix/Plex/etc

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

I hope the addition of MultiCrew and possibly aliens to shoot should make the game a bit more fun than it has been.

Overall though in VR it is fantastic to chill with some Scan missions/Cargo Hauling and V up with Netflix/Plex/etc

I've been sort of casually following the aliens thing, and multicrew could be a cool addition. Have they added gameplay yet?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

They did say that each crewmemeber brings their own power "pip" with them, so it should make larger ship combat a bit more interesting since a single Corvette or something would be as potent as 2-3 of them.

As far as actual gameplay, outside of what you make for yourself I do not know. I just don't have the time to dedicate to any 1 game right now to find what is in Elite already lol.

I have been enjoying stacking Scan missions and running them for $ right now, V makes Elite's slower/chill pace really a lot more fun since in VR, Elite can get a bit, lonely/boring when you're just jumping from one system to another or super cruising a long distance.

Just do not have V open and focused (Pinned window is fine) when you need to actually be flying or else you are in for a world of hurt since it blocks input to the game. (Properly now if you try the new alpha from Discord).

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I've been sort of casually following the aliens thing, and multicrew could be a cool addition. Have they added gameplay yet?

If you mean fighting aliens, not yet. There has been hints about it though, so it's possible they'll add some in the next patch.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

El Grillo posted:

e.

Interesting to hear. What issues remain with The New Vegas/Skyrim vr experience?
Also what the hell happens when you try to talk to an npc in NV? Does it still do the horrible Oblivion-style camera zoom on their weird plastic faces?

The issues that remain for New Vegas (I haven't tried Skyrim yet) is that you can't move your gun independently like in Doom 3 VR mod. Also when you do talk to NPCs it does zoom in. Supposedly adding fDlgFocus=16.0 in Fallout_default.ini under interface in your root New Vegas directory fixes the zoom, but it still zooms for me.

Both of these issues are minor issues for me, and I believe I'll have the dialogue zoom thing fixed soon.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 15, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
speaking of doom3vr, does anyone have a good .cfg or .ini or whatever that sets a bunch of sane options? The readme says go into the console and tweak 20 things oh and btw you have to do it every time you load, and frankly I just don't have the patience. I was waiting until they release a newer version but it's been months so I don't think it's happening.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

speaking of doom3vr, does anyone have a good .cfg or .ini or whatever that sets a bunch of sane options? The readme says go into the console and tweak 20 things oh and btw you have to do it every time you load, and frankly I just don't have the patience. I was waiting until they release a newer version but it's been months so I don't think it's happening.

Which one did you try? There are 2, though I've only tried this one and only console setting I did was increase the vram.

https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR

There are some options in the in-game menu for setting controls. Those might have been recent, I think I read they used to be console.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was running this guy https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases which is wayyyy behind that link and had no in-game config menu. Thanks!

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Regarding the original codes4fun Doom VR mod and the high res texture pack, has anyone run into the issue of the game crashing out once you reach Hell like this reddit guy experenced?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5xwky7/doom3_vr_crashes_when_i_reach_hell/

I am worried about experiencing the same problem once I reach hell.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw the number "4" "doom" and "vr" in your post and gort all excited :(

btw oh man does the difficulty level of serious sam ramp up towards the end. I'm in that walled canyon thing with hordes of kleer coming at me and a spike pit blocking my retreat and I just might be straight up not bad rear end enough to kill these daggone aliens

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I just saw the number "4" "doom" and "vr" in your post and gort all excited :(

btw oh man does the difficulty level of serious sam ramp up towards the end. I'm in that walled canyon thing with hordes of kleer coming at me and a spike pit blocking my retreat and I just might be straight up not bad rear end enough to kill these daggone aliens

Wonder is Zennimax will hold id traditions and release the source code, to allow a true VR mod. Sure would be great to rip and tear with controllers.

Serious Sam interests me, though $40 for the same game I've bought 2x so far, does not.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Phuzun posted:

Wonder is Zennimax will hold id traditions and release the source code, to allow a true VR mod. Sure would be great to rip and tear with controllers.

Serious Sam interests me, though $40 for the same game I've bought 2x so far, does not.

Pretty sure you get a discount if you own the original. I don't blame you though if you paid full price. I will say though, that if you can stomach the movement (and you need an iron VR stomach for it) it's incredibly fun and worth paying the early adopter price.

Though it may be worth waiting for SS2 VR, as it'll probably be $40 also and it's a much longer game.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Pretty sure you get a discount if you own the original. I don't blame you though if you paid full price. I will say though, that if you can stomach the movement (and you need an iron VR stomach for it) it's incredibly fun and worth paying the early adopter price.

Though it may be worth waiting for SS2 VR, as it'll probably be $40 also and it's a much longer game.

They did the discount for the first few weeks of release. I didn't pick up cv1 until recently. Maybe it'll go on sale at some point.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Phuzun posted:

Why wouldn't it do this for people with 360 Rift setups? I'd like to see someone demonstrate the supposed attacks from behind.

I used the diagonal 2-camera 360 rift setup for Superhot and I don't recall ever needing to turn around but I totally spun around all the time, like a ballerina. I think they did a good job of shifting the viewpoints to hide the fact that it was a 180 game because I was constantly using the guardian/chaperone boundaries to figure out where "forward" was.

iceaim posted:

One caveat with regards to VorpX is that I have an iron stomach. Nothing gets me sick. At worst case, I feel a tipsy euphoric dizziness which is very pleasant rather than a nauseous feeling. As a result I actively seek out VR experiences that people complain about making them sick because it literally makes me high.

This is amazing

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

EdEddnEddy posted:

They did say that each crewmemeber brings their own power "pip" with them, so it should make larger ship combat a bit more interesting since a single Corvette or something would be as potent as 2-3 of them.

As far as actual gameplay, outside of what you make for yourself I do not know. I just don't have the time to dedicate to any 1 game right now to find what is in Elite already lol.

I have been enjoying stacking Scan missions and running them for $ right now, V makes Elite's slower/chill pace really a lot more fun since in VR, Elite can get a bit, lonely/boring when you're just jumping from one system to another or super cruising a long distance.

Just do not have V open and focused (Pinned window is fine) when you need to actually be flying or else you are in for a world of hurt since it blocks input to the game. (Properly now if you try the new alpha from Discord).

Is there any word on a date for Vive implementation for V? I've been playing Elite in VR and really enjoying it, but missing out on Discord makes collaborating with other players difficult.

It's also annoying needing to peer at the keyboard for the Galaxy map.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I would suggest you try the openvr portal thing, it's much better designed than V, though perhaps a little less polished. The only reason I don't use it is because it involves running elite through steam vr using a hack, which seems to disable ASW and add frequent tracking glitches when using a rift. It should work fine with a vive.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the point of V is it's interactable, as opposed to "set up some windows"?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Oh, yeah, V is technically interactive, though it has (had?) the worst UI of any app I've ever used on any platform. I don't think I tried interacting with the portal app, I was just interested in mirroring a window in-game, which I'm pretty sure V will never do.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I can't use V because I'm not a rift haver, but the openvr portal thing does own a lot. Also supports windows that only show up when you look at them or go transparent when you look at them etc, which makes it super useful to look at irc real quick but not have it there all the time for example.

The part that kinda sucks though, is the frame rate. It tanks really quick with resolution due to it mirroring desktop windows, instead of rendering windows into VR directly. Mirroring a 720p vid already shows stutters for me while I'm playing elite. Not that it matters with the low resolution if VR right now, I just scale everything to 480p before mirroring it and there's no difference, but still.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I don't think it's the mirroring that causes low frame rates. There are plenty of apps that do it with low latency and high fps and resolution.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

..btt posted:

I was just interested in mirroring a window in-game, which I'm pretty sure V will never do.
Which blows, because it's literally the only thing I want it to do.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

empty quote

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

..btt posted:

I don't think it's the mirroring that causes low frame rates. There are plenty of apps that do it with low latency and high fps and resolution.

Which ones in particular? Capturing windows and transforming them into textures to put into a 3d environment is never going to be fast, unless windows DRM gives you access to other windows' video memory, which isn't ever going to happen because it's a gigantic security problem.

What you could do, however, is have a window output the texture by itself, and have it stored in shared memory space, free for other programs to access through a simple api. There's already applications that do this. For example, mpv (MPlayer's successor) supports opengl texture output of videos, which you can then hook into basically anything ever, since even desktops now work in 3d accelerated mode.

I considered doing a mpv plugin for the openvr portal, but I'm super busy at work and really don't feel like doing extra work while super tired during my off time, and like I said, I'm more than fine with 480p for now, given the current resolution of the vive.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The various streaming apps, e.g. OBS, seem to do a perfectly good job of 60 fps / 1080p, and have for years, and those are also compressing which would likely be unnecessary for local mirroring.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
OBS uses game capture or fullscreen capture, which are very different things from 2d desktop capture at arbitrary positions. One is just taking the video output as is, the other is taking screenshots of a position really fast. If you try to capture arbitrary positions that are also big in resolution, you see quite the performance hit in OBS too.

OBS also isn't limited to 11ms to process your stuff, streaming being "realtime" doesn't mean there isn't a huge amount of delay between input and output (can be seconds at times), whereas delayed frames would be very jarring when they started to differ from your local sound by more than 3-5 frames. Last, but not least, OBS doesn't care if sits on your CPU while turning your performance to absolute poo poo, something openvr portal has to very much care about.

I'm sure we'll get read-only access to at least per-window DWM output though (note to self, it's DWM on windows not DRM lol). Microsoft seems to be going into VR and if they want to make windows itself VR friendly, the best way of doing it would be letting people render windows apps into VR efficiently. The thing I'm most looking forward to with high resolution VR is ditching my monitor for a VR desktop "room".

Virtual desktop is neat, but it's still just one monitor mirrored, rather than allowing me to do whatever I want with my individual windows inside VR. There was that other app (envelop I think? I remember them closing shop back in january) that allowed exactly that, but it had the exact same problem openvr portal has: performance was extremely poo poo, and for the exact same reason.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I mean, I get what you're saying, but there is minimal delay in the preview window when I've been playing around with various capture apps. Ideally there would be none at all, but provided it's less than a second I'd be happy. Besides, for that kind of streaming, each frame has to be processed in the time it takes to render the next or you'd build up a backlog, you couldn't stream in real-time at all. Transforming images does not take significant resources relative to a modern 3D game.

I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making out. I'm not planning on running a VR setup + mirrored window on low end hardware.

Injecting into the HMD, on the other hand, I imagine could be very tricky to get right in a suitably generic fashion at high FPS, but apparently both solutions are capable of doing so.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Truga posted:

Which ones in particular? Capturing windows and transforming them into textures to put into a 3d environment is never going to be fast, unless windows DRM gives you access to other windows' video memory, which isn't ever going to happen because it's a gigantic security problem.

You're right that that is a huge security problem but for better or for worse DWM absolutely does let you do it. I've done a few proof-of-concept tests of importing windows into VR applications and my experience is that maintaining frame rate isn't the hard part; the hard part is that there's a lot of variation in the ways that windows applications display things on screen, and there's no one fast mechanism that correctly captures all of them. So you end up having to either reimplement a bunch of the DWM's functionality or capture the window after the DWM has composited it - which has issues with windows occluding other windows. A virtual desktop-style copy of the entire screen is the only thing you could do easily, consistently and quickly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You had to run your app as admin to get into other app memory I thought? That's a big no-no for desktop apps. If an app pops up UAC for me just for running it (I can understand when patching etc), I usually just click no and forget about it.

Anyway yeah, DWM is a bit of a mess not due to DWM but due to apps. As you say, the only way of doing *reliably* for everything is reading from the screen so to speak. Hopefully microsoft finds a way to make it good.

Then again, I guess I could just boot to lunix when I have to do real work like normal people, I'm sure there's a solution for a good VR desktop there already :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

V plans to add window mirroring down the line for sure. One step at a time since instead of just overlaying a 2nd vr render onto the VR game you are playing (with the OpenVR app), V piggybacks onto the VR games Render path that you are playing itself. So the performance hit is much less and continues to get better as things get optimized.

Also the Interface is getting a bit of an overhaul currently, the latest alpha in discord supports full Touch Motion controls and Vive support is actively being worked on as well as OpenGL support for games like Quill and Medium.

Really, for a team of 3 programmers working on V in their spare time outside of full time jobs, they have created a pretty awesome app. New features and support is coming, but VR overlay stuff is hard or else everyone would have been doing it already.