Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Finally got the time to finish painting my two starter sets. First poo poo I've ever painted (or photographed). Scourge in particular could be better since they're all at different points of figuring out how to make and use washes. PHR cruisers all magnetized, and I modified the prow laser to get rid of the underbite since I think it looks better with the front lined up.

http://imgur.com/a/EnWba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Your PHR ships look great!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Good effort! :)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Had a very successful weekend running con demos. Our table was constantly busy, often two people per side and a bunch of onlookers. Feedback was all around positive, both for the game and our fleets. By the end of day two both my legs and my throat were sore :v:

Edit: Yeah, the impression i got from the Sean interview was "I'm not allowed to say a second edition is coming."

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Bistromatic posted:

Had a very successful weekend running con demos. Our table was constantly busy, often two people per side and a bunch of onlookers. Feedback was all around positive, both for the game and our fleets. By the end of day two both my legs and my throat were sore :v:

Edit: Yeah, the impression i got from the Sean interview was "I'm not allowed to say a second edition is coming."

Wow, i'm not often impressed but I really love that Scourge scheme. Is it yours? Got a recipe?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I only did the UCM, two buddies of mine supported me with the other two fleets.

The Scourge were done by Ljevid, the basic idea is Tamiya Clear Red over gold but he also has a thread on the hawk forums with more detailed instructions: http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3756&start=100

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
New website with Dropfleet on is finally up at http://www.hawkwargames.com/.

There's also going to be a limited run direct only model for Dropfleet, the UCM Saratoga class Light Cruiser (alternative sculpt for the New Cairo). Looks pretty cool from the teaser image, will probably pick one up as a leader for my New Cairo squadron.

Plus, should be news on wave 2 of KS rewards 'soon'...

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Crossposting from the oath thread. Finally made a start on my masses of PHR.

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete!

The PHR ships took a couple of tries until I figured out the colour scheme. There's meaning behind the colours, but it's a) terribly geeky, and b) currently missing two colours until I paint some command (battleship) and generally-tricksy ships first.

Thor, of course was my challenge

Made it harder for myself by using entirely TMM. Worked pretty well (although I'd hate to do it on more than one model at a time.).

Finally, the battleship - this is probably the easiest Dropfleet model to magnetise.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Looks like I'll finally be getting my spaceships... in March. If tracking is holding up correctly, I should hopefully have it by the weekend (though perhaps a small delay with the holiday today and tomorrow). Maybe I will finally start buying and building a fleet.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

LazyAngel posted:

Crossposting from the oath thread. Finally made a start on my masses of PHR.

Holey moley, i loving love that scourge battleship!

Also crossquoting from the painting thread:

Bistromatic posted:

I also got around to taking some decent shots of my current UCM fleet:

All the weapons are magnetised, you can rotate all the turrets or switch the railguns for giant lasers if you are so inclined.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Metals done, oil wash on frigates metals.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Finished up my sectors.

quote:

Commercial Sectors

Industrial Sectors

Military Sectors

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ugleb, those sectors look great. They'll really spice up your table. Are you thinking of doing clusters on some sort of foamcore that you can tuck the sectors into?

Also, how are you all figuring out when to go weapons free? I'm having a really hard time getting value out of my heavy cruiser in starter fleet games. The Moscow's got a pretty reasonable amount of shots (8 3+ shots, 4 4+ shots) when it goes weapons free, but I feel like I'm always being timid to avoid taking the major spike and immediately getting nuked by the entire enemy fleet. I'm now building an Atlantis (BC) and I'm worried I'll basically just use it like a too-expensive Seattle. Thoughts?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Moscow lives by blowing the enemy away before they can fire back. Go weapons free early and often, plan for it to die, and try to ensure you force the enemy to choose between firing his weapons (especially Burnthroughs) at the Moscow or at your other ships that are busy winning the game.

Moscows have won games for me by simply wading into the enemy gunline firing wildly, dying, and finishing off three or more ships with their explosion.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Arcturas posted:

Ugleb, those sectors look great. They'll really spice up your table. Are you thinking of doing clusters on some sort of foamcore that you can tuck the sectors into?

Also, how are you all figuring out when to go weapons free? I'm having a really hard time getting value out of my heavy cruiser in starter fleet games. The Moscow's got a pretty reasonable amount of shots (8 3+ shots, 4 4+ shots) when it goes weapons free, but I feel like I'm always being timid to avoid taking the major spike and immediately getting nuked by the entire enemy fleet. I'm now building an Atlantis (BC) and I'm worried I'll basically just use it like a too-expensive Seattle. Thoughts?

Cheers, I'm happy with how they turned out. I have no immediate plans for snazzy clusters but see how it goes I guess. Mostly I want to lay hands on the advanced clusters so I don't need to use any tokens!

Weapons free IMO is for whenever you can bring the most weapons to bear that you are going to get. Heavy cruisers are there to dish out the damage and remove other ships from the board. Your heavy hitters need to be hitting things.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Literally Moscows silent run turn one and weapons free for the rest of the game

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hooray! I finally got my Kickstarter box today! Now I need to go buy paint. And glue. And figure out where I'm actually going to paint and assemble these guys because I don't think my current landlady would be cool with that...

Otherwise, what should I build first? Should I just do the Fastplay sheets, or go hog wild with whatever looks good?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Got it. I think I've been way too timid with my Moscow, then. My Berlins/New Cairos I can get good value out of by just getting a shot a turn and avoiding incoming fire, but it seems like I really need to learn how to use the Moscow to protect my other ships. (Incidentally, we goofed our first few games by not using the exploding ships rules.)

YF19, the starter fleets are pretty solid for most factions. I think there's usually a slightly more optimal way to build each fleet (e.g. the Bellerophon is arguably better than the Hector most of the time) but the starter fleets are good and will give you a nice introduction to how each faction plays.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 5, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I counted earlier, after i already finished a few...

I have 2,440 engine panels to color in on my PHR.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

dexefiend posted:

I counted earlier, after i already finished a few...

I have 2,440 engine panels to color in on my PHR.

Thanks for sharing, I was happy with trying not to think about it!

My Leonidas felt like a long job with those big fins...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ugleb posted:

Thanks for sharing, I was happy with trying not to think about it!

My Leonidas felt like a long job with those big fins...

I forgot to count my Leonidas, and my 2 battleships, because they aren't primed yet. So add on like 200-300 more.

:downsgun:

It will probably take an hour or so for my frigates & crruisers.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
What's the preferred assembly method? prime-build-paint? Build-prime-paint? prime-build some-paint-build some more? Going to try to go hunting for a hobby store tomorrow, but also am chomping at the bit to try this game out and wondering if I could get away with assembling the starter fleet then painting later when I have the wheres and hows of that sorted out.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I build, prime, paint. Mostly on the basis that if I need to gap fill doing it later will be frustrating.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I build everything except the wings (for Scourge), prime, paint (and then glue on the wings).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

With UCM I build, prime, paint. Works for everything except the carriers (Seattles), since the flight decks are a pain. You can still get some paint in there and have a serviceable flight deck but for my BC and future Seattles I'm going to be doing: build partially, prime, paint flight decks, finish building, finish painting.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I built my second UCM starter this weekend. built two Osakas and a St Petersberg, along with a pair of Jakarta and a pair of Tai Pei. Many more ships on the way.

Anyone else really like the Osaka? A pair of them ripping around turreting things as they go was really fun. They look and feel really sleek and deadly for the price.

I'm going to be painting this weekend I think. any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a dark grey with gold-yellow highlights.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I've found it best for both PHR and Scourge to build the main hulls and leave the wings off until after painting.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

They are nothing close to Bistromatic's, but i am happy! More detailing and such to go, but i have 20 frigates and 15 cruisers that look like this!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 15, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Even though it's kind of a pain, I'm magnetizing my Scourge BCs just in case the fated super-errata makes the close action variant good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New hawk shop site is up go buy poo poo

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
They have promotional models up for grabs. I picked up 3 of the Saratoga (variant New Cairo) hulls for myself and friends to all have one. Those Shackleton escape pods are also fantastic for bridging Dropfleet games into Dropzone. Ships that blow up in Orbit with high value personnel on board are great strategic capture points for ground battles.

It's made for some really enjoyable mini narrative events in my gaming group. (My PHR-aligned resistance captured a UCM admiral after a UCM/PHR spacefight, now I'm leveraging my hostage to get spacecraft for my guys which will eventually get me into the Dropfleet game.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Ugh. £20 shipping to the US though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

darnon posted:

Ugh. £20 shipping to the US though.

Last time I ordered there was free shipping if you spent a certain amount.

I sort of want the Saratoga, but I don't want to make a small order from them and have to pay the shipping.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If there's enough demand in the US thread readers and there is free shipping if we hit a threshold, we could order a batch and only need to pay domestic shipping?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I'd be up for going in on 2 or 3 for that.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I just put in an order (from the US) but I'll cancel it and put in the batch order if you all want to team up. PM me or reply here if interested and how many of the web exclusive models you want.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

Last time I ordered there was free shipping if you spent a certain amount.

I sort of want the Saratoga, but I don't want to make a small order from them and have to pay the shipping.

I'm hoping they have the Saratoga up at Adepticon next week. Though they do say web only UGGGG.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

ZachAttack posted:

I just put in an order (from the US) but I'll cancel it and put in the batch order if you all want to team up. PM me or reply here if interested and how many of the web exclusive models you want.

All right, Arcturas and darnon are in for a US group order. Going to need one more person to break the free shipping barrier. Anyone else interested?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

All right, Arcturas and darnon are in for a US group order. Going to need one more person to break the free shipping barrier. Anyone else interested?

I'd be down for one. How are we planning on handling this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

ZachAttack posted:

Out of curiosity what dollar amount is the free shipping barrier at?